No Oppo Supporters 2016 General AFL Discussion Part 2 (Sydney Posters Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrett spoke his first sentence of reason last night on FC about us having a near-perfect season. Could very nearly have had 19-2 and really have only had two poor games effort-wise (GWS and North) and one really poor game execution-wise (Carlton). But I'm ultimately glad we've had it a little more tumultuous and tough. When I think of flawless seasons I think of St Kilda in 2009 (or was it 2010?) and Geelong in 2008. Both years neither team won it.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Barrett spoke his first sentence of reason last night on FC about us having a near-perfect season. Could very nearly have had 19-2 and really have only had two poor games effort-wise (GWS and North) and one really poor game execution-wise (Carlton). But I'm ultimately glad we've had it a little more tumultuous and tough. When I think of flawless seasons I think of St Kilda in 2009 (or was it 2010?) and Geelong in 2008. Both years neither team won it.

Plus, I don't think think we're good enough for a perfect season. We have some weaknesses in the list and there are some real dangerous teams capable of knocking us off if we don't turn up to play in any of our matches. So like you I'm happy we've had the season we've had. I think those close losses have really fast tracked the development of the younger guys. Having experienced losses and then focusing on those situations during training. Hope it holds us in good stead come finals.

Hawthorn, crows, gws, dogs all capable of beating get us if we're a little off.

I'd back us against Geelong or west coast.

North who?

They match up well against us because they pretty much ARE us. Really good in-tight and like a pressure contest. We have the weapons to beat them though. It's just the last game we played on them we had too few of our stars really stand up. If our 22 players come to play and their 22 players come to play, we are better than them.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
The coaches have produced their best season in memory.

They've adapted (after the North game Hanners confirmed they'd worked hard on holding a lead late and we controlled a rampant North for 7 minutes. Tick) .

They've managed a deep list of Rookies and sub 20 game players.

We've tried multiple strategies to freshen up our structure - we even put Teddy then XR forward!

We've managed the unsettling prospect of losing 5 defenders to injury in a season when defence was under intense scrutiny.

We've improved our forward 50 defence.

And a nod to our development coaches. Naismith and Nankervis fot example have really come on.

Couldn't be happier in that regard.

I wonder if we'd be interested in Dal Santo for one year? He's got good foot skills and he'd be desperate for one last tilt at a premiership before retirement.
He looks kinda cooked IMO. If there's anyone I'd be prepared to roll the dice on out of those four, it's Harvey.

Feb 24, 2008
New South Wales
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters
Think NDS is a bit 2 slow for another year and for our team- good footskills but don't really see him adding much. Harvey would be one that I'd consider, still quick, can play forward/midfield still racks up his touches and scores goal and a great user of the ball. Maybe Swans culture would have him share it around a bit more, think he'd be a good fit for a year. Only thing is if the one year would cost us a young player or two. (due to opportunity).

Very strange scenario, wonder if that means all 4 of them told the club to GAGF when they were told? Otherwise surely they'd be announced as 'retiring' instead.

It is no different to Kelly, Stevie J etc... at Geelong. Lake at the Hawks.... There is a point were as a club you need to push people out.

I would have kept Boomer for another year though, he deserved better, I would have hated to treat a club legend like that. The other players are cooked though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back