No Oppo Supporters 2016 General AFL Discussion Part 2 (Sydney Posters Only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you really think about it is there much difference between dumping ROK in the NEAFL or trading him for pick 80?

Same thing imo.
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe he was our reigning B&F?
Mitchell on form is still in their best 22 and highly probable he would be top 5 next year
ROK's form was only arguably best 22 and no where near out top 10
Very different scenario

I think it might all be a little harsh to talk about desperation re Clarko...

Didn't he come to Hawthorn in 2005 and cut a swathe through that list during 05, 06 and 07, to build the team that won the premiership in 2008? He continued to develop that team through 09, 10 and 11 and was playing the grand final in 12, and the rest as they say is history...

Seems to me like he might be doing exactly the same thing again... not desperate or ill-judged, but a measured approach that will see them remain competitive (if all goes to plan) while the rebuild is in process. I agree I can't recall any young talent coming through that he has developed, and they might miss the eight now and then, but I'm not writing them off just yet... I have no expectation of seeing them finish in the bottom six during the next 4 - 5 seasons, but somewhere around the middle six, making the 8 now and then. And given that we think that that bloody bye after round 23 will remain, that's all it takes for a shot at the flag...

Perhaps I don't like the way he goes about it much, but it seems pretty calculated and methodical to me

Ruthless by clarko

Good on him

4 time premiership coach knows whats going on

Big difference between game day tactics and list management.
Lewis is the right call, looked cooked most of 2016 and going to the Dees hope he doesn't hold back the development of on their youngsters by stealing game time.

Hawks are going to rely a lot on Burgoyne/Rioli brilliance next year and that isn't going to cut it.

Big difference between game day tactics and list management.
Lewis is the right call, looked cooked most of 2016 and going to the Dees hope he doesn't hold back the development of on their youngsters by stealing game time.

Hawks are going to rely a lot on Burgoyne/Rioli brilliance next year and that isn't going to cut it.
He is building a new list

If he thought he could win the flag next year he wouldnt have let these guys go

Ruthless by clarko

Good on him

4 time premiership coach knows whats going on

I don't agree with this, its not ruthless at all. This is a panicked move in some ways, and he has basically thrown out the older statesmen who have done everything right by the club. The biggest challenge with this strategy is similar to an organisation going through redundancies, its not the players let go, its the ones who are still there. They now have a thought in the back of their mind they never contemplated before, that is......is this my last year? Will I be next? Has my service amounted to nothing here, is the club loyal to me?...etc etc.

This is a very selfish move by Clarkson, not ruthless, not a rebuild, but potentially a culture smasher.

This is a very selfish move by Clarkson, not ruthless, not a rebuild, but potentially a culture smasher.

This is just what he did when he first took over the club in the 2004 trade period except he isn't getting high draft picks in return and the 2009 trade period where he got two players of need in (Gibson and Burgoyne) but let JPK and McGlynn walk out the door in return. Both led to Premierships, the first built the culture he wanted and the second re-enforced the buy in.

We can call Clarkson many things but selfish isn't one of them.

He is building a new list

If he thought he could win the flag next year he wouldnt have let these guys go

If he is building for beyond next year why would he give up next year's 1st rounder?

People like to bag Beatson for his record but whoever has been doing the Hawks draft picks has been horrible.
Have they got anyone that they have developed themselves in the last 3 years?
Sicily, Brand, Litherland and they're all supposedly up for trade.

If he is building for beyond next year why would he give up next year's 1st rounder?

People like to bag Beatson for his record but whoever has been doing the Hawks draft picks has been horrible.
Have they got anyone that they have developed themselves in the last 3 years?
Sicily, Brand, Litherland and they're all supposedly up for trade.

Graham Wright. Agree that their development seems soft, but we were all saying the same things about our list and the next wave though this time last year.

What I will say is that I would never of made that trade they did with St Kilda as I just don't agree with trading future draft picks development wise.

I don't think it's a panicked move by any stretch. It's a very calculated move, it's bold and ruthless.

Let's face it though. Hodge and Burgoyne are going to be cooked next year.

I guess when it comes down to it, it was either 2 this year and 2 next year or all 4 next year.

And he had to make a move or lose out on signing 2 big names. He would have had to choose one or the other.

But moving on Mitchell and Lewis is tough. It sends a bad message imo.

I just hope he fails. I hope jom isn't the player he used to be and I hope Mitchell remains his plodding self.

Real gamble by Clarko. But he's done it before. I just hope it's an utter failure for him this time around.

Hawthorn are having to answer questions about the Vickery deal. They've squeezed 3 years into 2 to pump up Vickery's value and in doing so orchestrated better compensation for Richmond. Now watch this get covered up.
What do you reckon? Richmond to lose their 2nd rnd pick and Hawks get to keep Vickery. Punishment enough for the Hawks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please tell me where this myth about Reid never being fit came from? Is this one of those BF myths and legends? Because the facts just don't suggest that this is true...

Debuted in round 22 2010 and played one game that year, in 2013 he played 10 games, in 2016 no games, but in every other year he has played 20 plus... so what is the real beef with Sam?

Can someone please tell me where this myth about Reid never being fit came from? Is this one of those BF myths and legends? Because the facts just don't suggest that this is true...

Debuted in round 22 2010 and played one game that year, in 2013 he played 10 games, in 2016 no games, but in every other year he has played 20 plus... so what is the real beef with Sam?
Yep. Being saying this all year.

They were reporting the Hawks were hoping to get pick 21 off the Lions for Hartung and Whitecross. But apparently that fell through?

Reid is one of those players who really parts the supporter base, you either love him or hate him. Unfortunately in my opinion those in the latter group become so obsessed with him 'not meeting his apparent potential' that they put the blinkers on and lose all touch with reality and throw out this injury prone furphy.

Reid is one of those players who really parts the supporter base, you either love him or hate him. Unfortunately in my opinion those in the latter group become so obsessed with him 'not meeting his apparent potential' that they put the blinkers on and lose all touch with reality and throw out this injury prone furphy.
Reid plays an important role for us. No question. And when he went down in the finals last year, it would be fair to argue that he was playing the best footy of his career. That he has broken down multiple times in the last season, as he was on the cusp of return each time, is cause for some concern. It is true that his potential does blind some people's evaluation of him. Let's just wish an injury free pre season from him and I reckon we can let his footy do the talking. I think his best asset is his link marking with the kick out of defence. We needed him big time in last year's GF - especially in the last quarter when our defenders could not find a safe pair of hands to kick to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back