No Oppo Supporters 2016 General AFL Discussion Part 2 (Sydney Posters Only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may surprise you that excluding 2010 when he debuted in the last round. Reid's played 20 games 4/6 seasons.

It was a joke!

Tom will be a great player for Hawthorn for a long time, as Josh Dunkley may become for the Dogs. Losing players like that, especially when they are the sons of former champions, really grates. But letting both go was the right decision. We have players whose limitations are similar but their strengths are greater. No point fretting about their loss. Better to relish the players we gained in their place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, but staying somewhere you don't want to be would mean you will probably never reach those highs, so you can never really gauge what has been 'lost'.....Dunkley in particular would not have lasted more than 2 seasons here I feel.....I much rather the player who can play and loves the club.

No matter what you think of Hirds involvement with the recent ASADA investigation/2012 drugs program, the reported overdose again puts things into perspective.

It's just footy. Life goes on outside this "industry".

Players, coaches, admin & their families & friends can be impacted by negativity & abuse just like anyone else in any other situation.

Hirds very public humiliation & punishment heavily exceeds others' who have done far far worse. I know of a bloke who ripped off families & retirees of millions of dollars. Never seen his face in the paper or tellie. Never heard his name on the radio. He still goes out, works & lives a pretty normal life now. He left a trail of destruction & ruined many lives... But there's no1 camping outside his house. He hasn't been publicly derided & ridiculed. His family harrassed & abused. His character torn apart so publicly he can't move on.

We love our sport, yes. Nothing wrong with that. I get why Hird had the attention he's had. But sometimes I just can't believe what we as a society choose to value & emphasize over other things.

We love our sport, yes. Nothing wrong with that. I get why Hird had the attention he's had. But sometimes I just can't believe what we as a society choose to value & emphasize over other things.
He got plenty of adulation in the "good" times, admired, respected, loved by many. Then he got the opposite because he was an unapologetic cheating disgrace. I don't remember the same level of concern over the media attention he got when he was a champion footballer, so I'm fine with the amount of media attention that was given to his deplorable behaviour over the past few years.

He got plenty of adulation in the "good" times, admired, respected, loved by many. Then he got the opposite because he was an unapologetic cheating disgrace. I don't remember the same level of concern over the media attention he got when he was a champion footballer, so I'm fine with the amount of media attention that was given to his deplorable behaviour over the past few years.
Yes, all fair points mate. I disagree with the level of hatred he's recieved but understand why he's copping it none-the-less.

My concern is more about the current situation with the oversaturation by media of sportspeople & "celebrities" as opposed to real news stories/crimes/people.

Why should Hird cop so much of the publics abuse when there are far worse people in the community who have gotten away without any criticism (or at least at such a level)? I just find it unfair.

It's like the "real world" is becoming less & less of a focus & importance.

Actually swansfan51, after having a think about it for a bit I can agree that he chose to accept the public life. He took the benefits & perks of being the public hero. There was no problem with his "saturation" in the media when all was good. However choosing this lifestyle means being held to account publicly when s**t goes wrong too.

Joe Citizen doesn't get dragged through the media but also never got the same perks & opportunities when things where going good. Joe Citizen vary rarely gets praised publicly for doing their job right. Even less so, does Joe then get offered career opportunities such as those a public identity would have available to them after.

But I do think the media has gone OTT with Hird. Particularly into the negative. No1 signs up for what he & his family are going through.

It's just a shame the media aren't using their powers for good. E.g. shedding light on homelessness, medical research etc. Or even focusing on actual real life crimes which impact people/families/communities as opposed to "just" a footy club.

Well said GTG. Hird has chosen his own path and will have to deal with the consequences of those choices, but his name has been dragged through the mud enough already.

My issues is the media in general

Report outside his house

Then report outside his house about leaving him alone

Them report on the outrage from the above, even forgetting Hird, the media is so rubbish in this country

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually swansfan51, after having a think about it for a bit I can agree that he chose to accept the public life. He took the benefits & perks of being the public hero. There was no problem with his "saturation" in the media when all was good. However choosing this lifestyle means being held to account publicly when s**t goes wrong too.

Joe Citizen doesn't get dragged through the media but also never got the same perks & opportunities when things where going good. Joe Citizen vary rarely gets praised publicly for doing their job right. Even less so, does Joe then get offered career opportunities such as those a public identity would have available to them after.

But I do think the media has gone OTT with Hird. Particularly into the negative. No1 signs up for what he & his family are going through.

It's just a shame the media aren't using their powers for good. E.g. shedding light on homelessness, medical research etc. Or even focusing on actual real life crimes which impact people/families/communities as opposed to "just" a footy club.
The media is a money making exercise designed to support advertising. They are not even required to tell the truth, let alone be an asset to the community.

Hird took all those young men down chasing glory... just ask any of the mothers of the youngsters in that club! He and the Essendon officials took on the role of primary caregiver and failed to deliver. Then, did he show any remorse? Did he publicly apologise? No, he spent $700K defending himself and then wanted someone else to pay for it... and then finally, he tries to opt out and leave his wife, kids and family to deal with it on top of everything else.

I don't feel sorry for him, but I do for his family... with a bit of luck this will be rock bottom for him and the only way is up!

just ask any of the mothers of the youngsters in that club! He and the Essendon officials took on the role of primary caregiver and failed to deliver. Then, did he show any remorse? Did he publicly apologise? No, he spent $700K defending himself and then wanted someone else to pay for it... and then finally, he tries to opt out and leave his wife, kids and family to deal with it on top of everything else.

I don't feel sorry for him, but I do for his family... with a bit of luck this will be rock bottom for him and the only way is up!
I've heard from some family members who I believe seem more frustrated with the club as opposed to Hird himself.

I believe he apologised for the program but didn't accept the version of his involvment the media, ASADA, club, AFL etc wanted him to accept.

Without re-hashing a long ago debate, yes he was head coach & responsible but I believe was naive to the illegalities until it was too late. His response to fight I can appreciate. He doesn't believe he did anything personally illegal, but rather, he was mislead.

While there are obviously so many layers to the situation, everyone involved has some level of responsibility & guilt. Being naive can't be (& isn't) an exemption from punishment if wrongdoing is proven.

Whatever your opinion of him, I'd urge you to try to put yourself in his shoes & empathise with his current situation. He's a human who needs some support right now which I hope he & his support network (family, friends etc) get.

I feel sorry for the man who ended up in the back of an ambulance. A man who thought his only option was to end his life. Bloody oath I do.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the man who ended up in the back of an ambulance. A man who thought his only option was to end his life. Bloody oath I do.

Do you have kids and a wife/husband/partner? Imagine how they feel? Daddy was willing to abandon them because it all got too hard...

If he'd died I would have felt sorry for him, because then he would never have the chance to be all that he could be. But I would have been sorrier for his family. He didn't die... now he has to man up and face his demons, cause he has a wife and kids who love and depend on him, parents who would feel like they had not done enough, loved him enough, extended family and friends who took on the guilt and regret. Don't kid yourselves, suicide is about as selfish as it gets...

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, the very best thing that can happen to you is to hit rock bottom. Sometimes, until you do, there is no way to climb out of the mess you made of your life. I get that my opinion is not mainstream so I won't post again on this subject, but I've been there and I know... he doesn't need sympathy, he needs someone willing to stand and support him, all the while telling him home truths and not letting him get away with feeling sorry for himself. I wish him solid support... but I don't feel sorry for him.

Do you have kids and a wife/husband/partner? Imagine how they feel? Daddy was willing to abandon them because it all got too hard...

If he'd died I would have felt sorry for him, because then he would never have the chance to be all that he could be. But I would have been sorrier for his family. He didn't die... now he has to man up and face his demons, cause he has a wife and kids who love and depend on him, parents who would feel like they had not done enough, loved him enough, extended family and friends who took on the guilt and regret. Don't kid yourselves, suicide is about as selfish as it gets...

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, the very best thing that can happen to you is to hit rock bottom. Sometimes, until you do, there is no way to climb out of the mess you made of your life. I get that my opinion is not mainstream so I won't post again on this subject, but I've been there and I know... he doesn't need sympathy, he needs someone willing to stand and support him, all the while telling him home truths and not letting him get away with feeling sorry for himself. I wish him solid support... but I don't feel sorry for him.

I don't have any of those but I don't think that disqualifies me from feeling the way I do and I certainly accept and respect the opinion of others.

I too believe it's the ultimate selfish act. I agree with your comments on those left behind and I agree with your comments about sometimes needing to hit rock bottom in order to climb upwards.

I don't think your opinion is against mainstream.

I could chill the blood describing my professional encounters with suicide (and attempts). I have felt sorry for all of those people - successful in their attempt or not. But that doesn't mean for a minute that I don't feel more for their loved ones.

FWIW I can't talk about it any more either.

Last edited:
I don't have any of those but I don't think that disqualifies me from feeling the way I do and I certainly accept and respect the opinion of others.

I too believe it's the ultimate selfish act. I agree with your comments on those left behind and I agree with your comments about sometimes needing to hit rock bottom in order to climb upwards.

I don't think your opinion is against mainstream.

I could chill the blood describing my professional encounters with suicide (and attempts). I have felt sorry for all of those people - successful in their attempt or not. But that doesn't mean for a minute that I don't feel more for their loved ones.

FWIW I can't talk about it any more either.
My apologies if in defending my opinion, I made you think I thought yours was invalid... I so definitely don't feel that way

The most important thing to come out of this is some things are far more important than which footy team you follow, what you think about the doping scandal or any other garbage the media wants to over emphasise.

We're all humans trying to share this world with each other & sometimes a bit of compassion & empathy can mean a lot more than you think it does.

I'm just glad that there is a tomorrow to look forward to for James. He still has a chance to have an awesome life with family & friends that love him. That's what's really important.

Despite his actions, I empathise with his situation. His whole world has imploded. He needs support to realign and refocus on what's most important, and that's looking after himself and his family.

There's a way out of the mess, but he'll need strong support to be able to see a way forward and take steps to get there.

I hope he eventually finds peace.

The only thing I found deplorable was that he stated at the outset that the buck stopped with him....yet he was the last man to fall. I respected him hugely as a player, but his inability to see the team as being more valuable than his own reputation is something I cannot forgive. If he had resigned when it first became known and allowed the team to follow the path of their rugby counterpart, then I would see his off field conduct as the equivalent of his on field success. I do not see the saga in such strongly black and white terms as you do. It seems to me that all concerned were too busy saving their own asses rather than looking out for the welfare of the players. Self interest and fear seemed to be driving all the principals and their principles. Hird should not be the only target of your wrath.

Hird should not be the only target of your wrath.
If you go through my post history you'll see I have not exactly been shy in presenting my thoughts about everyone involved with that disgusting club, including the drug cheating players, incompetent administrators, and excuse-making enabling supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back