cooee bulldogs

Senior List
May 21, 2008
hastings
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
burnie dockers, west ham
After we win the 2016 grand final who should present the cup. A modern day champ like Dougie or Chris Grant, maybe Ted Whitten Jnr or perhaps someone from the 54 team. Your thoughts

Genuinely though if we we to ever make Id think it would be Johno

Herb Henderson will live to 100, so will be able to present all of the three-pete 2016-2018.

Seriously, if there is any 54 players left when we win one, all of them should be on the dais, or maybe some of the 61 boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shultz, Grant, or given the role he played in picking our coach, Darcy.

not really who presents the cup, but does anyone think its a possibility that if we win we could get Bob to lift it up

In another thread, someone spoke about toning down the arrogance .... can we change the opening line of this thread from "after we win" to "if we win"?

It's a shame that Charlie Sutton's not still around, otherwise it would have absolutely been him. There was a story done during the 2008-2010 period with the remaining 1954 champions talking about what a second premiership would mean to them, and Charlie said that he was absolutely sick and tired of being the only bulldog premiership captain and coach.

On the Marngrook Footy Show, which always has a strong bulldog flavour, they spoke to Dougie Hawkins once, and they said that now that Charlie and Teddy are gone, he's now the living legend of the club. Given how close he was with Ted Whitten, the greatest bulldog of them all, I think that Dougie would be a very good choice.

No one's mentioned Libba, but if I'm not mistaken, of all of the players at the club at the time, he took the most hands on and active role in the Footscray Fightback, and he wasn't even playing regular senior football at that time, yet he still loved the club that much that he'd do absolutely everything possible to save it. Then the following year he established himself and won the brownlow. Then, if not for his infamous behind from the ill fated 1997 preliminary final (from which we can all now finally move on, especially if next week goes according to plan!), maybe 1997 would have been the year to discuss who would present the cup. And with his son in the team now, a premiership would mean more to Libba senior than to just about anyone else. No one loves the club more than Libba senior. He would have died for the club, and practically did every single time that he went out onto the field. I don't think that we've ever seen another player with more determination than Libba, and I remember listening to them talking about him before his last game on the radio, and they said that even though there were some amazing players in the team at the time (Grant, West, Johnson, etc), that the love that fans have for Libba is comparable to that which was felt for Whitten, Sutton and Dougie. However, if they did choose Libba, hopefully there wouldn't be any imbecile opposition fans there booing him.

And, someone mentioned Bob Murphy, and that would probably be the most appropriate of all, if the AFL would allow it, him still being a current player and all. If they go all the way, I think that Bob would have played just as much of a hand in the win as any of the players who have been out there.

Otherwise, there was/is a thread listing the 1954 champions who are still alive, so let's get that back up and see who would be the best from that list!

Frankly, just making the grand final is absolutely incredible. Like all bulldogs fans, I never thought that we were ever going to get there, but this current team is unbelievable. If they win, this would have to be the greatest premiership by any team in the history of the VFL/AFL, given how badly they've been hit by injuries, the premiership drought, and how totally screwed the club seemed at the end of 2014.

Frankly, I couldn't care less who presents the cup if they win it! But, Bob Murphy would be the absolutely perfect person to do it. He's been their spiritual leader all year, and I don't think that they would have gotten to the grand final without the clearly amazing support that he's been providing. So, hopefully he'll be allowed to present it. He deserves to be up on the dais as much as Luke Beveridge and Easton Wood, absolutely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back