Preview 2016 Grand final rematch

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Another big game for us, against a team we generally match up well against. Outside of the game in Sydney last year, we've had the wood over them in recent years.

Reid out helps us and I suspect Sinclair goes forward and they bring in Cameron to ruck - of that happens, Roughy (if fit) could actually be a good match up against Sinclair which means Naughton goes to Buddy with help from Wood.

As always in these games, midfield is key and our boys took a big step last week against Essendon with the team. Needing to replicate the pressure for four quarters again if we are to get the points.

Cordy out suspended means we will have at least one forced change while the Swans will have two with Reid and Melican injured in round three.

Bevo obviously has good plans to combat the Swans' style and our glut of inside mids is obviously an important part of that.

With an improved effort in our forward line last week showing the group is capable of kicking a winning score, the Dogs should go in confident of a win with recent history on our side.

Dogs by 14

Last edited:
Not expecting the win but this game should give us a better indication of where we are at. Swans are probably the benchmark side of the AFL at the moment.

Also these two clubs are at opposite ends of the scale in terms of experience and maturity. These two tables have been pinched from Bont2Boyd 's post in the match review thread from last Sunday:
480207_b1697b24e5b897da86f9ceb0f17f6bdd.JPG

480208_090b2a6eb6f86e780b0cbb040f37412d.JPG

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dogs-104-def-bombers-83.1190376/page-11#post-55050700

That's just a ridiculous difference and if we were to beat Sydney with that profile the footy world had better sit up and take notice.

OK, tell me how do we stop Buddy and Heeney?

I'd put McLean on Heeney, Buddy I'm stuffed if I know. Double team him with Naughton and Wood?
Agree with your buddy plan, I wonder if we send Honey to Heeney. I feel like we will need to put work into Kennedy as well. Weirdly enough, I'm more confident this week than last. They are our bunnies.

So did every other team. When you look at the past few years, it's the only time they've got the chocolates. We beat them at Etihad last year in a 'down' year. Reid's injury puts it at 70/30 for mine.

70 them. Franklin, Heeney, Parker and Kennedy will still kill us.

if we win the midfiwld who knows

If we want to tag Heeney its gotta be Jong. Not a bad idea IMO. Said it in another thread but Wood to go with Buddy up the ground and Naughty to take him deep, Naughty is too competitive to be embarrassed. He'd be fine, wouldnt want him to get gassed running with buddy all over the ground though. Hopefully Trengove in to take the resting ruck and anchor the defense while giving English a proper chop out.

If we want to tag Heeney its gotta be Jong. Not a bad idea IMO. Said it in another thread but Wood to go with Buddy up the ground and Naughty to take him deep, Naughty is too competitive to be embarrassed. He'd be fine, wouldnt want him to get gassed running with buddy all over the ground though. Hopefully Trengove in to take the resting ruck and anchor the defense while giving English a proper chop out.
Jong doesn't strike me as the type to be a tagger. He's more a see-ball, get-ball type. Doesn't have the player awareness.

I haven't heard anything about Trengove coming back this week. He had a small fracture so I doubt he'd be back after missing just one game. They were talking about a 3-4 weeks.

EDIT: Just saw the other thread where they say Trengove's a chance. Let's hope so (and that he's genuinely fit).

Have you seen much of Heeney live?

Terrific player. Too quick for Honey, and definitely too good in the air.

Heeney is not quick, not slow either but when you talk about quick players he doesn't come to mind. I think Honey could do the job if that's the way we want to go.
Not when Heeney goes forward though, you are right with him being very good in the air.

I stated in a previous post the Sydney's midfield is not yet running on all cylinders. Parker has been good, JPK only average for his standards, Hanners had an interrupted pre-season and is behind fitness wise. Jones might be back this week.

I'm not sure we will "tag" anyone.

One thing is for sure. If we only clock up 40 or 50 tackles in the game, like we did last week, I doubt we get over the line. Will help being at Etihad but I just feel like they have been too strong this season so far. We were pretty good last week against a poor defensive side. I don't think our defensive play is tight enough yet to get us home. We shall see though. Good test for the kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we make it 11 Saturday twilight victories in a row? We haven't lost a Saturday twilight match since 2013. Let's go for 11!

Brisbane v Bulldogs: Saturday the 5th of August 2017 at 4:35PM. Western Bulldogs won by 14 pts
Gold Coast v Bulldogs: Saturday the 22nd of July 2017 at 4:35PM. Western Bulldogs won by 54 pts
GWS v Bulldogs: Saturday the 24th of September 2016 at 5:15PM. Western Bulldogs won by 6 pts
North Melbourne v Bulldogs. Saturday the 29th of August 2015 at 4:35PM. Western Bulldogs won by 23 pts
Gold Coast v Bulldogs. Saturday the 11th of July 2015 at 4:35PM. Western Bulldogs won by 22 pts
Bulldogs v GWS. Saturday the 30th of May 2015 at 4:35PM. Western Bulldogs won by 45 pts
Bulldogs v Gold Coast. Saturday the 12th of July 2014 at 4:40PM. Western Bulldogs won by 28 pts
GWS v Bulldogs. Saturday the 12th of April 2014 at 4:40PM. Western Bulldogs won by 27 pts
Carlton v Bulldogs. Saturday the 10th of August 2013 at 4:40PM. Western Bulldogs won by 28 pts
St. Kilda v Bulldogs. Saturday the 25th of May 2013 at 4:40PM. Western Bulldogs won by 9 pts

Gold Coast v Bulldogs. Saturday the 18th of May 2013 at 4:40PM. Gold Coast won by 32 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back