Prediction 2016 Hawk Draft Choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi Hawks fans,
We have had a great run and I think our coaches can continue it.
I am very interested in our next draft selection. We are told that this draft is full of quality midfielders. Assuming the Hawks finish top 4, which would give us a pick from 16 to 20, I'd love to here from you which player we should draft.
After looking at Draft guru's Knightmare and Cal Twomey's ratings to date, I have given my preferred picks:

1: Tim Taranto
My preferred selection. Reads the play and hits the ball hard. Like his skills. Good size, nice mark and I have read he has a 15+ on the beep test.

2: Jordan Gallucci:
Excellent link player who can get into traffic and affect the result.

3: Josh Battle
Not overly tall but big bodied. Is a moderately good runner compared to midfielders.
Love his attack on the ball and his follow-up.

4: Brandon Parfitt. Poise personified. Under Sami, Bergars, and Riloi's wing he could be the best player in the draft.
Apparently he over kicks the ball... A fault easily corrected.

Before you watch this know that he was 16 in the video. The first part is not good... But you see the class in the second half.

Do you like these guys or like another player?

Last edited:

Hi Hawks fans,
We have had a great run and I think our coaches can continue it.
I am very interested in our next draft selection. We are told that this draft is full of quality midfielders. Assuming the Hawks finish top 4, which would give us a pick from 16 to 20, I'd love to here from you which player we should draft.
After looking at the Draft guru's knightmare and Cal Twomey's rating to date, I have given my preferred picks:

1: Tim Taranto
My preferred selection. Reads the play and hits the ball hard. Like his skills. Good size, nice mark and I have read he has a 15+ beep test.

2: Jordan Gallucci:
Excellent link player who can get into traffic and affect the result.

3: Josh Battle
Not overly tall but big bodied. Is a moderately good runner compared to midfielders.
Love his attack on the ball and his follow-up.

4: Brandon Parfitt. Poise personified. Under Sami, Bergars, and Riloi's wing he could be the best player in the draft.
Apparently he over kicks the ball... A fault easily corrected.

Before you watch this know that he was 16 in the video. The first part is not good... But you see the class in the second half.

Do you like these guys or like another player?

Good chance we won't end up having a first round selection. Looks very likely that we'll be using it for a trade.
Good chance we won't end up having a first round selection. Looks very likely that we'll be using it for a trade.
Good point. Either of JOM or Presia would fit in very nicely.

Mids will be targeted at the completion of this season. Whether that be through the national draft or trading.

Mids will be targeted at the completion of this season. Whether that be through the national draft or trading.
Why?

According to bigfooty mids would be targeted last year as well, what do we do, we go after a CHB and draft mids because they are in every single draft from 1st pick till last.

I hope the club sticks to its guns and goes after a CHB again this year, cause it the biggest hole on our list by a mile.

Why?

According to bigfooty mids would be targeted last year as well, what do we do, we go after a CHB and draft mids because they are in every single draft from 1st pick till last.

I hope the club sticks to its guns and goes after a CHB again this year, cause it the biggest hole on our list by a mile.

Comes straight from the club. Good mate sits on the young executives board. Fagan gave a presentation to them on Thursday and this was explicit.

Comes straight from the club. Good mate sits on the young executives board. Fagan gave a presentation to them on Thursday and this was explicit.
My point is we draft mids every single year (every club does), there are always mids available, its no secret mids will be drafted.

But a top line 22-24yr old CHB would really set us up, more than JOM. Who knows, maybe we'll get both.

I never get into any of the techy details like most here. Your knowledge of the game is far superior to mine

All I want is someone who really wants to play for us and being an accurate goal kicker is always useful

oh er.. and if he looks like Hodgey............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is we draft mids every single year (every club does), there are always mids available, its no secret mids will be drafted.

But a top line 22-24yr old CHB would really set us up, more than JOM. Who knows, maybe we'll get both.
Who would trade away a top line 22-24 year old CHB? About the only one we have a remote chance of getting is Hurley as a dfa. I'm sure the club will make him an enquiry

They might use their future first rounder on JOM I reckon.
We may need that 2017 pick though. I think James Langford might be eligible for the draft to be taken as a father-son pick and potentially he might be bid on in the first round as it sounds like he's pretty good. If he's not eligible until 2018 then you might be right.

We may need that 2017 pick though. I think James Langford might be eligible for the draft to be taken as a father-son pick and potentially he might be bid on in the first round as it sounds like he's pretty good. If he's not eligible until 2018 then you might be right.
Couldn't we get him with a bunch of low picks via the points system or does that not work when another club bids their first?

Couldn't we get him with a bunch of low picks via the points system or does that not work when another club bids their first?
We theoretically could but I think we and the club would prefer to avoid doing that otherwise we'll end up like Geelong last year having all 3 picks right at the end of the draft.

We theoretically could but I think we and the club would prefer to avoid doing that otherwise we'll end up like Geelong last year having all 3 picks right at the end of the draft.
Sorry, I don't get it.

Couldn't we send 1st & 2nd north to GC & use 3rd + 4th + say another pick acquired by trade, to get young Langers?

Sorry, I don't get it.

Couldn't we send 1st & 2nd north to GC & use 3rd + 4th + say another pick acquired by trade, to get young Langers?
Every club has to draft minimum 3 players from the ND. If we've traded away our first two picks and used the rest for matching an earlier bid then we won't have any picks remaining and will have to draft 3 kids at the very end. Picks 71, 72, 73 for example.

Every club has to draft minimum 3 players from the ND. If we've traded away our first two picks and used the rest for matching an earlier bid then we won't have any picks remaining and will have to draft 3 kids at the very end. Picks 71, 72, 73 for example.
True, but thankfully rookie elevations count as a draft now, so, if we upgrade Stewart, we would only need to take two from the draft. We might be able to trade a multitude of later picks to academy clubs for two pick in the 30s or 40s, perhaps...

True, but thankfully rookie elevations count as a draft now, so, if we upgrade Stewart, we would only need to take two from the draft. We might be able to trade a multitude of later picks to academy clubs for two pick in the 30s or 40s, perhaps...
Oh neat. Didn't realise that. Woodward might even manage an upgrade too if that's the case.

We need a CHB?

The Lake/Frawley dream team only existed for 2015. Brand looks like he'll play good enough to cover a large opposition forward if Clarko ever wanted to play that kind of backline.

I guarantee what we'll get out of this draft is a small forward and a couple of half-back flankers.

We need a CHB?

The Lake/Frawley dream team only existed for 2015. Brand looks like he'll play good enough to cover a large opposition forward if Clarko ever wanted to play that kind of backline.

I guarantee what we'll get out of this draft is a small forward and a couple of half-back flankers.
Matt Spangher/Lake 2014

Clarko tried to get Spang back in the side asap this year after missing out on Carlise.

So yea, we need a CHB like Carlise, or so it seems to me from everything Clarko has tired to date. One injury to Frawley and we are stuffed down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back