Prediction 2016 Hawk Draft Choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Spangher/Lake 2014

Clarko tried to get Spang back in the side asap this year after missing out on Carlise.

So yea, we need a CHB like Carlise, or so it seems to me from everything Clarko has tired to date. One injury to Frawley and we are stuffed down back.

But we still have Brand, who will be a better player next year with the first year in seniors under his belt. I don't think he'll be the next Rance, but he looks like he's got enough to work with.

We need a CHB?

The Lake/Frawley dream team only existed for 2015. Brand looks like he'll play good enough to cover a large opposition forward if Clarko ever wanted to play that kind of backline.

I guarantee what we'll get out of this draft is a small forward and a couple of half-back flankers.
I'm not sure we will chase a small forward in the Draft. We have Hardwick, Stewart & Miles around there chasing games from Popeye, Rioli & Broost. I reckon we'll probably Rookie List one that slips through the Draft though - then have 2+ years to work on them at BH whilst the others keep on dominating.

I'm not sure we will chase a small forward in the Draft. We have Hardwick, Stewart & Miles around there chasing games from Popeye, Rioli & Broost. I reckon we'll probably Rookie List one that slips through the Draft though - then have 2+ years to work on them at BH whilst the others keep on dominating.

Wright and Clarkson have a real soft-spot for them.

Good chance we won't end up having a first round selection. Looks very likely that we'll be using it for a trade.
Like we have every other season for the past 6 seasons other than last. Last time we used a 1st round pick in the draft before last year we picked up Smith.
We pick well. We don't need top picks.

2016 NAB AFL DRAFT INDICATIVE ORDER

ROUND ONE
1 Essendon
2 Brisbane Lions
3 Fremantle
4 Gold Coast
5 Carlton
6 St Kilda
7 Richmond
8 Greater Western Sydney
9 Gold Coast (received Melbourne's first-round pick)
10 Port Adelaide
11 West Coast
12 North Melbourne
13 Western Bulldogs
14 Adelaide
15 Sydney Swans
16 Greater Western Sydney
17 Greater Western Sydney (received Geelong's first-round pick, via Carlton)
18 Hawthorn

ROUND TWO

19 Essendon
20 Brisbane Lions
21 Gold Coast (received Fremantle's second-round pick)
22 Gold Coast

Later picks will fall further as bids high up on academy players are matched.

For all picks and associated points see: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-05/indicative-draft-order-giants-suns-set-for-2016-draft-windfall

Even with the 2017 draft picks on the table I'm not sure the Hawks have the collateral to trade for a gun of a sun (as good as that would be). It may be better to go to, what is said to be, an even and deep midfielders draft.

Last edited:
I never get into any of the techy details like most here. Your knowledge of the game is far superior to mine

All I want is someone who really wants to play for us and being an accurate goal kicker is always useful

oh er.. and if he looks like Hodgey............

I believe this is very high on our list of priorities.

Someone mentioned in the hypothetical trade thread that we havent had much draft currency recently and hopefully wont again this year.

On reflection it seems that last year we look to have drafted four very good kids in Burton, Lovell, Hardwick and Stewart.

All seem to have some real upside hopefully.

I still think going to the draft isnt enough for us going forward as these guys may be really good footballers but still ultimately unproven.

Getting in a JOM/Mitchell/Crouch - however unlikely - would give us more of a surer commodity in guts.

Trading away earlier picks is fine as I enjoy seeing what the team can do in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

More Savages, Duryeas, Sicilys, Stewarts and Brands please!

Big footy group, you were right on the money. Getting O'Mera and T Mitchell was predicted and I think a master stoke.

But I thought I'd look back on my choices.

1: Tim Taranto at the time was rated to go at 18 in the draft by Knightmare and others. Damn good pick
2: Jordan Galluci: we will see.
3: Josh Battle: selected as a Roughy replacement but we get the real thing so great
4: Brandon Parfitt: also looks the goods to date.

Every club has to draft minimum 3 players from the ND. If we've traded away our first two picks and used the rest for matching an earlier bid then we won't have any picks remaining and will have to draft 3 kids at the very end. Picks 71, 72, 73 for example.
Gee, 71, 72 & 73 seem like a luxury only 4 months after this conversation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back