Analysis 2016 Heat Maps - Sydney Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Looking at the Heat Maps this week vs the last two weeks one thing sticks out. Our defensive game plan holds up regardless who we play (look at how we keep our opposition to one pocket of the ground), but the harder the opposition or more pressure we face on offence the more we go towards one wing but still look to hit an option in the corridor.

Today's Offence
HeatMapvsLWS.jpg
Today's Defence
LWSHeatMap.jpg

Round 1 and 2
HeatMapvsPies.jpg

PiesHeatMap.jpg

HeatMapvsBlues.jpg

BluesHeatMap.jpg

Looking at the Heat Maps this week vs the last two weeks one thing sticks out. Our defensive game plan holds up regardless who we play (look at how we keep our opposition to one pocket of the ground), but the harder the opposition or more pressure we face on offence the more we go towards one wing but still look to hit an option in the corridor.

Today's Offence
View attachment 233940
Today's Defence
View attachment 233941

Round 1 and 2
View attachment 233942

View attachment 233943

View attachment 233939

View attachment 233938

Join the dots and it makes Longmires face

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few Player Heat Maps I found of interest

Hannebery - while Parker was best on, this shows the workrate Hanners put into today's game
HannersvsLWS.jpg

Robinson - played more defensively than the past two Rounds and that might be a role he was given. We freed from it his impact in the third term turned the tide of the match.
RobinsonvsLWS.jpg

Lloyd - Switched to a more offensive role. So while he got ball in the defence he got ball going inside 50. LloydvsLWS.jpg

Jack - If Lloyd had a role change it was partly covered by Jack at times. So while down Stats wise, impact was still important.
JackvsLWS.jpg

Jones - You think he gets more of the ball, he uses it so well. Is sitting deeper than Nick Smith which is having an impact on the team
JonesvsLWS.jpg

Smith - Might be because he played on SJ, but he has been released further up the ground this year. Today was the biggest impact of the change of role within the defence
SmithvsLWS.jpg

Papley - This is what a down game looks like....
PapsvsLWS.jpg

McGlynn - Just for reference purposes
McGlynnvsLWS.jpg

Papley - This is what a down game looks like....
View attachment 233951

One thing I noticed with Papley late in the game (2nd Half), when he wasn't getting involved he really worked hard to look for the ball and help team mates around the ball.

For example offering options in the defensive half .Looking at the heat map, for a 3rd game small forward he is working hard.

ie. if he is getting lost in the game he is injecting himself. For a 3rd game player that is a great skill to have.

Promoted this to its own thread. Thought it might be interesting to track these during the season.

Sorry to intrude buuuut

Jake Lloyd's map is very interesting to me! Was he playing in defence in the first two weeks? Or just simply a wingman floating back to link up?

Thanks all!

Sorry to intrude buuuut

Jake Lloyd's map is very interesting to me! Was he playing in defence in the first two weeks? Or just simply a wingman floating back to link up?

Thanks all!
shows his two way running strength. He not a defender as such but he gets the ball all over, great tank and underrated by many outside the club.

shows his two way running strength. He not a defender as such but he gets the ball all over, great tank and underrated by many outside the club.
Nice man, I definitely got the impression he was more a gut running midfielder than a genuine halfback. I assume when McVeigh returns there's a greater chance he will be pushed further up field.

Tonight's Heat Map
HeatMapvsCrows.jpg

As you can see still working to the corridor but spent 10% more time in our defensive half and in losing the midfield battle we lost the match. The midfield was where we lost it.

Any requests for certain player heat maps?

Might also post the breakdown by quarter as well if it throws up anything interesting

Tonight's Heat Map
View attachment 236512

As you can see still working to the corridor but spent 10% more time in our defensive half and in losing the midfield battle we lost the match. The midfield was where we lost it.

Any requests for certain player heat maps?

Might also post the breakdown by quarter as well if it throws up anything interesting

Interested in seeing McVeigh, Mitchell and McGlynn if you could :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back