2016 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Time to start thinking about the tunes JJJ will play on Jan 26. Cant think of that many that have stood out tbh, assume Flume will be heavily up there though as the mainstream album of choice

Yeah i hate to sound like Silent Alarm but this year has been so bad I have turned off triple j so much. I'll probably still be able to find 10 songs I really like but I haven't listened to the station enough to justify voting this year

Yeah i hate to sound like Silent Alarm but this year has been so bad I have turned off triple j so much. I'll probably still be able to find 10 songs I really like but I haven't listened to the station enough to justify voting this year
The difference between JJJ good and bad is astronomical. I really dont find their breakfast or afternoon shows that great and the music played hasn't been ideal either

surprised JJJ still give drake as much playtime as they do, his as mainstream as they come. same could be said for kanye though
I find it really odd, considering they never properly played him until Hotline Bling. With guys like the The Weeknd and Frank Ocean, Triple J were playing them before they made it big on pop stations, but with Drake, they got on board with him a long time after he had made it big. Same with Beyoncé.

I find it really odd, considering they never properly played him until Hotline Bling. With guys like the The Weeknd and Frank Ocean, Triple J were playing them before they made it big on pop stations, but with Drake, they got on board with him a long time after he had made it big. Same with Beyoncé.
JJJ plays Beyonce now?!?

This year instead of doing a count/data scrape (there's enough other people doing this now) I've been working on a predictive model. First attempt so it could be a massive failure. Obviously newer songs (eg. Starboy) have a chance to grow their prediction as the weeks to voting get closer.
Anyway this is my current Top 30
1 Flume - Never Be Like You {Ft. Kai}
2 Hilltop Hoods - 1955 {Ft. Montaigne/Tom Thum}
3 Flume - Say It {Ft. Tove Lo}
4 MO - Final Song
5 Anne-Marie - Alarm
6 Sticky Fingers - Our Town
7 Drake - One Dance {Ft. Wizkid/Kyla}
8 Illy - Papercuts {Ft. Vera Blue}
9 Hayden James - Just A Lover
10 Jake Bugg - Gimme The Love
11 Drake - Too Good {Ft. Rihanna}
12 Sticky Fingers - Outcast At Last
13 Harts - Peculiar
14 Anne-Marie - Do It Right
15 Client Liaison - World Of Our Love
16 Mura Masa - What If I Go {Ft. Bonzai}
17 Tired Lion - Not My Friends
18 Desiigner - Panda
19 Nicole Millar - Tremble
20 The Creases - Impact
21 Running Touch - Courtesy Of.
22 Tigertown - Lonely Cities
23 Disclosure - BOSS
24 Maggie Rogers - Alaska
25 Ball Park Music - Nihilist Party Anthem
26 Ball Park Music - Whipping Boy
27 Two People - Fading
28 Middle Kids - Edge Of Town
29 Big Scary - The Opposite Of Us
30 L D R U - Next To You {Ft. Savoi}

Last edited:
JJJ plays Beyonce now?!?
Yeah, since Lemonade was released, I heard her song that features Jack White a fair bit.
This year instead of doing a count/data scrape (there's enough other people doing this now) I've been working on a predictive model. First attempt so it could be a massive failure. Obviously newer songs (eg. Starboy) have a chance to grow their prediction as the weeks to voting get closer.
4 MO - Final Song
5 Anne-Marie - Alarm
13 Harts - Peculiar
18 Desiigner - Panda
20 The Creases - Impact
23 Disclosure - BOSS
27 Two People - Fading

Woah there is a lot of the songs there that I don't know. If I'm honest I reckon that is missing a fair few big ones in replace of songs that I don't will anywhere near that height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woah there is a lot of the songs there that I don't know. If I'm honest I reckon that is missing a fair few big ones in replace of songs that I don't will anywhere near that height.
Some of the bigger ones that are outside of my Top 30 so far:
SAFIA - Make Them Wheels Roll
Kiiara - Gold
Broods - Couldn't Believe
Martin Solveig - Do It Right {Ft. Tkay Maidza}
Broods - Free
Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
AlunaGeorge - I'm In Control {Ft. Popcaan}
RUFUS - Say A Prayer For Me
Drake - Summer Sixteen
Hilltop Hoods - Higher {Ft. James Chatburn}
Flume - Smoke & Retribution {Ft. Vince Staples/KUCKA}
Kanye West - Famous
The Weeknd - Starboy {Ft. Daft Punk}

I'm not sure whether any of the Sia songs will make it onto the voting list. My criteria for likely voting list is an appearance on a weekly Triple J Hit List.

What other big songs do you think I'm missing and then maybe I can tweek the formulas a bit.

Some of the bigger ones that are outside of my Top 30 so far:
SAFIA - Make Them Wheels Roll
Kiiara - Gold
Broods - Couldn't Believe
Martin Solveig - Do It Right {Ft. Tkay Maidza}
Broods - Free
Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
AlunaGeorge - I'm In Control {Ft. Popcaan}
RUFUS - Say A Prayer For Me
Drake - Summer Sixteen
Hilltop Hoods - Higher {Ft. James Chatburn}
Flume - Smoke & Retribution {Ft. Vince Staples/KUCKA}
Kanye West - Famous
The Weeknd - Starboy {Ft. Daft Punk}

I'm not sure whether any of the Sia songs will make it onto the voting list. My criteria for likely voting list is an appearance on a weekly Triple J Hit List.

What other big songs do you think I'm missing and then maybe I can tweek the formulas a bit.
The Avalanches are bound to have a couple, Because I'm Me and Subways are both chances to do well. Violent Soho will have some that get on there, such as So Sentimental, Blanket and No Shade, although their main singles from the album were released last year. D.D Dumbo has been getting a decent amount of airtime and popularity, Walrus was right up the pointy end of their Hit list for a fair few weeks consecutively, and his album was a feature album a couple of weeks ago.

I see The Opposite Of Us is 29 on your list, but Ihave a feeling it could be a darkhorse for a top 15, maybe top 10. I can't see Jake Bugg getting close to that high (and I sure as hell hope not too, that song is trash). Harts and Hayden James seem as though they're a bit too high, and I wouldn't be too sure if Sticky Fingers will get Our Town in the top 10.

Luke Million's Stranger Things Theme could do well too, due to its novelty and timely release.

The Avalanches are bound to have a couple, Because I'm Me and Subways are both chances to do well. Violent Soho will have some that get on there, such as So Sentimental, Blanket and No Shade, although their main singles from the album were released last year. D.D Dumbo has been getting a decent amount of airtime and popularity, Walrus was right up the pointy end of their Hit list for a fair few weeks consecutively, and his album was a feature album a couple of weeks ago.

I see The Opposite Of Us is 29 on your list, but Ihave a feeling it could be a darkhorse for a top 15, maybe top 10. I can't see Jake Bugg getting close to that high (and I sure as hell hope not too, that song is trash). Harts and Hayden James seem as though they're a bit too high, and I wouldn't be too sure if Sticky Fingers will get Our Town in the top 10.

Luke Million's Stranger Things Theme could do well too, due to its novelty and timely release.
Avalanches and Violent Soho are floating are in the middle of my Top 100 at the moment. I can see Walrus coming home strongly, it takes a while for new songs to move up my prediction. I've got Satan at #41 right now.

It's just about at the point where chart music eclipses JJJ (and chart music has been fairly ordinary this year), which says it all. When you have the likes of Classic FM, FineMusic, RN, Double JJ, ABC Jazz, etc. etc. it is hard to find time for JJJ. I even spend more time listening to SBS foreign radio. I try to listen to JJJ a little in the summertime to have some semblance of fluency in the youth zeitgeist, maybe Like a Version on occasion, but that projected top 30 does nothing for me. One of those years where one tunes in once they hit the top 10.

4 MO - Final Song
5 Anne-Marie - Alarm
13 Harts - Peculiar
18 Desiigner - Panda
20 The Creases - Impact
23 Disclosure - BOSS
27 Two People - Fading

i think thats a pretty good reflection of what is to be expected. f*** me it looks a seriously average year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back