2016 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

I am officially old. Modern music has past me by. I went through the list last night and there was only one song I'd heard, Girlie Bits by Ali Barter, and it is probably the weakest song she has released. As for the rest, reading most of the posts in this thread I feel I haven't missed anything.

Felt like there was much more s**t in between the good tracks yesterday. Top 3 was quite predictable and you couldn't really ask for 3 songs to kill a mood more than them. Was kind of hoping Adore would take out the #1 as a bit of an underdog.

The Aussie hip hop in the top 20 was pretty gross. Hilltop Hoods and Illy, * who votes for these people. My friends really like that Like a Version for some reason but I think it's quite average, people are odd.

After reading the last few pages I must be in the minority because I thought 1955 was just about the best song of the top 10.

Very predictable count though. No doubt a shallow year. I thought Montaigne's 'Because I Love You' was one of the best tracks of the whole count, surprised it only made 25 or whatever it was.

Why was Viceroy eligible? It was released around the same time as Like Soda which polled in the last chart.
Like Soda was released in October 2015. Viceroy was released in February 2016.

I admit to being an old bugger (49) but seriously…. what the hell was that? Have been listening to Double J playing the 1996 Top 100 today.

It absolutely destroys some of that bubblegum pop / melodic folksy guitar s**t that I was subjected to on Thursday.

Oh well. Sultana Tash can bag me out for being an old white man I guess. Whatever the f*** that's supposed to mean.

cloud.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bypassed this for the first time and instead will be listening to the hottest 100 from 1996 on Double J this Saturday. Good times, better music.
How ******* good was it?? So many classics. Butthole Surfers FTW.

The Hottest 101-200 is being counted down today. People often laud this as being more enjoyable than the actual Hottest 100 but right now that isn't really the case for me. There is a disproportionate amount of Sticky Fingers right now too!

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/tripl...st-200-2016-live-updates/#GY73wmOYzVQIRp2Z.99

Thank goodness they didn't get more songs in the Hottest 100. I've seen far too many of my Facebook friends sticking up for their flog frontman, Dylan Frost, and his sexist, racist, and general floggish behaviour. The bloke, and the rest of the band that regularly sugarcoats, or apparently blatantly lies about his behaviour, seem like complete w***ers.

Felt like there was much more s**t in between the good tracks yesterday. Top 3 was quite predictable and you couldn't really ask for 3 songs to kill a mood more than them. Was kind of hoping Adore would take out the #1 as a bit of an underdog.

The Aussie hip hop in the top 20 was pretty gross. Hilltop Hoods and Illy, **** who votes for these people. My friends really like that Like a Version for some reason but I think it's quite average, people are odd.
Spot on, its a shame though as I really enjoyed last years count. Off the top of my head; Gang of Youths, Tame Impala, Foals, Kendrick Lamar & The Weeknd with some absolute tunes.

I felt like the top 10 as a whole totally put a mega downer on the rest of the countdown. This year was finally the first year that I got the chance to get properly pissed and have that stereotypical Hottest 100 day. Up until the top 10, it felt super great at the time, but even at the time, all 20 or so of us all felt a bit 'Ehh?' upon getting to the top 10.

There is a disproportionate amount of Sticky Fingers right now too!

So after sitting through the 200-101 songs on Sunday a lot of fans (myself included) still didn't get to hear their favourite band but instead got to hear another 5 Sticky Fingers tracks on top of the 3 they'd already heard during the top 100. Given the fact there were only 8 Sticky Fingers tracks on the voting list they got a clean sweep (which is an even bigger surprise when voting "canibalism" is taken into account)

My question is, are they really that popular? Or are their fan base just incredibly organised at voting time? As far as I'm aware they don't get played on commercial radio so that rules the casual voter out.

The other question is, based on the vote counting polls taken in recent years and then extrapolating against the final vote count, roughly how many votes would it take to crack the Top 100 or 200? When they brag about 2 million votes plus you think it must be thousands but when you divide the figure by 10 you're only down to 200,000 voters. It might only take a few hundred Sticky Fingers voters to skew the vote.

So after sitting through the 200-101 songs on Sunday a lot of fans (myself included) still didn't get to hear their favourite band but instead got to hear another 5 Sticky Fingers tracks on top of the 3 they'd already heard during the top 100. Given the fact there were only 8 Sticky Fingers tracks on the voting list they got a clean sweep (which is an even bigger surprise when voting "canibalism" is taken into account)

My question is, are they really that popular? Or are their fan base just incredibly organised at voting time? As far as I'm aware they don't get played on commercial radio so that rules the casual voter out.

The other question is, based on the vote counting polls taken in recent years and then extrapolating against the final vote count, roughly how many votes would it take to crack the Top 100 or 200? When they brag about 2 million votes plus you think it must be thousands but when you divide the figure by 10 you're only down to 200,000 voters. It might only take a few hundred Sticky Fingers voters to skew the vote.
To crack the Top 100 you would require about 5100 votes. Top 200 would require about 2600 votes.

Geez everyone in this thread is either 50 or just a sad campaigner. Yes the top 10 was rubbish, it pretty much always has been, you're delusional if you have high expectations for the top 10 every year. Music is music. Everyone ******* overthinks it. Every year someone says it was the worst count ever. It seems according to most, music is getting exponentially worse every year. If you truly believe this is the case, stop getting your hopes up every year and stop ******* listening. The top 3 were all Australian, all discovered by triple j unearthed. In fact, 8 out of the top 10 were Australian artists. If that doesn't tell you music in Australia is in good shape, you're either senile or just delusional.

Did I read that there are 66 Aussie songs in this year's chart? If so, the pendulum has swung too far. You could show a Hottest 100 from the '90s to an American and they would mostly follow it. You show 66 Aussie songs to them and you will get a bemused reaction.
Luckily it's an Australian radio station :) If an American is listening to it, it's likely because they have an interest in Australian music.

Geez everyone in this thread is either 50 or just a sad campaigner. Yes the top 10 was rubbish, it pretty much always has been, you're delusional if you have high expectations for the top 10 every year. Music is music. Everyone ******* overthinks it. Every year someone says it was the worst count ever. It seems according to most, music is getting exponentially worse every year. If you truly believe this is the case, stop getting your hopes up every year and stop ******* listening. The top 3 were all Australian, all discovered by triple j unearthed. In fact, 8 out of the top 10 were Australian artists. If that doesn't tell you music in Australia is in good shape, you're either senile or just delusional.

49 mate. Don't remind me!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back