2016 Leadership group - Sauce and the Pizza boy back

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Sauce back in there.
I thought it was strange him being dropped from the leadership group last year.
No surprises there with the leadership group. All those guys deserve to be there.

*Sigh*

VB will play majority of the year. Take it to the bank.

I think his form will determine that. No doubt he'll get first crack and he'll benefit from greater patience than any other player, but we lost only 1 player from our last 22 and brought in 4 likely candidates.

Not sure how many in other clubs leadership groups, but 7 seems a lot, 1/3rd of the 22.

I wouldn't worry about VB too much everyone, he's only in there to represent the Training Track Leadership group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts on VB as a footballer are well known, but I'm comfortable with him being in the group - he's clearly got fantastic leadership skills, regardless of whether he's in the side of not.
And as I said in the PS thread, it makes sense to have the SANFL skip in the group. He may or may not be that guy but in the absence of an obvious candidate why not him.

I think VB in the leadership group is the worst thing we can do because it creates an impression that match performance is not the most important thing.

The only reason you train, lift weights, go running, eat well, have game plans, run meetings... is so that you can perform on match day.

If you do the other stuff brilliantly but struggle on match day then clearly what we're doing at training has no bearing on the game itself. It's a waste of time, not exposing people enough, not challenging their game skills.

It also means that there are too many ways a footballer can be successful at the AFC without playing well. Setting PB's on the track, smashing the weights, getting involved in charity stuff and mentoring programs, leadership groups... I bet there are whiteboards up everywhere recognising the standout achievers.

The thing is that none of it matters. All that matters is the two hours on a weekend, and the two hours vs the best teams counts more again.

What we value isn't valuable.

I think VB in the leadership group is the worst thing we can do because it creates an impression that match performance is not the most important thing.

The only reason you train, lift weights, go running, eat well, have game plans, run meetings... is so that you can perform on match day.

If you do the other stuff brilliantly but struggle on match day then clearly what we're doing at training has no bearing on the game itself. It's a waste of time, not exposing people enough, not challenging their game skills.

It also means that there are too many ways a footballer can be successful at the AFC without playing well. Setting PB's on the track, smashing the weights, getting involved in charity stuff and mentoring programs, leadership groups... I bet there are whiteboards up everywhere recognising the standout achievers.

The thing is that none of it matters. All that matters is the two hours on a weekend, and the two hours vs the best teams counts more again.

What we value isn't valuable.
Well the players must think differently then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back