2nds 2016 Lions reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is our Ressies set up really working for us?? I feel it hamstrings us massively when it comes to development.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

When you consider the difference between the NEAFL and the VFL, if our reserves were playing in the VFL our scoreline would be 200+ each week.

Is our Ressies set up really working for us?? I feel it hamstrings us massively when it comes to development.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
When you consider the difference between the NEAFL and the VFL, if our reserves were playing in the VFL our scoreline would be 200+ each week.
Thought about this, we play a national game so our reserves comp needs to be better. I would split the teams in Melb into two groups (5 each) into two divs and then the four northern teams are added to one and then the teams West are added to to the other making two divs of nine. 16rounds, 3 weeks of finals and then the top team from each play off. Oh and the AFL stump up the cost with their multi Billion deal they've made.

I feel like our NEAFL side needs to be able to have mature players from outside our AFL list in the side. Imagine being able to see Sauce Merrett retire but still have him playing NEAFL for us. It seems like our young players are trying to develop against men but have very few men to help them out during a game.

sTsMLy7.png

7Q5Uwox.png

I think blaming the NEAFL set up is a cop out. It hasn't been detrimental to Sydney's development of young blokes and it doesn't seem to be damaging GWS. We won premierships when our Reserves were in a much weaker competition than the current one.

I do think the AFL needs to be clear on what the purpose of the NEAFL is. I think NEAFL is trying to be all things to all people and it is failing. Is it a development league? Is it a semi-professional, tier 2 league? Is it a suburban comp? Is it purely to give AFL teams a comp to play their reserves teams? While it has this confused identity, it is going to continue to struggle for relevance and purpose.

Nice to see Allison get a few possies against bigger bodies. Ballenden's stats suggest he is principally a mark and kick type at present. Is that what our ressies observers think?

Thought about this, we play a national game so our reserves comp needs to be better. I would split the teams in Melb into two groups (5 each) into two divs and then the four northern teams are added to one and then the teams West are added to to the other making two divs of nine. 16rounds, 3 weeks of finals and then the top team from each play off. Oh and the AFL stump up the cost with their multi Billion deal they've made.

Rockliff has been on this issue for years.

Swans
1. J.Rose
11. J.Laidler
17. J.Hiscox
19. T.Derickx
21. B.McGlynn
25. T.Richards
28. N.Newman
30. T.Leonardis
31. H.Marsh
34. J.Dawson
38. C.O'Riordan
45. J.Foote
46. S.Murray
47. K.Galloway
49. J.Brown
50. M.Wilson
51. C.McFadden
52. D. Baron-Hay
54. R.Hebron
55. N.Reinhard
57. B.Davis
58. L.Robertson
60. N.Cooper

Lions
13. T.West
16. J.Jansen
19. J.Clayton
26. T.Cutler
33. M.Close
37. R.Gordon
39. J.Paine
42. N.Dennis
45. H.Beasley
46. B.Evans
47. R.William
48. J.Warren
49. W.Fletcher
50. B.Sloan
51. B.Aston
52. S.Cormick
53. J.Clayton
54. L.O'Sullivan
56. L.Mason
57. O.Ritchie
58. D.Watson
59. J.Allison
60. C.Ballenden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All three of your emergencies are playing. Is that normal?

It's suboptimal, but we're pretty close to the point of not being able to assemble a valid team again. Other than those three Josh Clayton and West are the only senior-listed players available for the NEAFL squad.

One of the emergs will most likely get pulled off at half or three quarter time and jump on a plane to Adelaide.
Okay well I see only 21 Lions run out for the second half. I'm sure you started with 23. I'll see who is missing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back