Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any word yet on whether Sheehan is likely to get another year with you guys? Waiting to see how trade week, and specifically Tuohy's future plays out? From a purely selfish perspective I hope Tuohy stays, or more specifically doesn't end up at North. It'd mean I'd have to start watching North regularly :(:straining:

I don't know whether he'll get more time but I just feel he should unless injuries have ruined him.

His upward curve in 2014 was phenomenal and so disappointed for him that he has been crueled by injury over the past 2 years.

SOS may not have the same connection given he wasn't involved in his recruitment, but on the strength of what I saw in 2014, I'd keep him without a second thought......and I know....that may likely mean 2 years on the primary list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our biggest weakness is our midfield. This year is a midfielder's draft.

Adding Brodie and Taranto would be huge.
The worry is along with McGragh and Lug they could be gone then we have put all of our eggs into the one basket and could end up having to reach for true midfielders if that's what we are after otherwise take a punt on the other players actually becoming full time midfielders

How many of Sydneys top mids were taken with high picks??

Suggest you go back and read Sos' views on Marchbank when drafted, said he could play forward or even Midfield. While the latter might be debatable, something tells me SOS knows more about jiikdong lists and talent identification than you do.
i don't doubt sos but you have to take with a grain of salt anything he said about him when he was drafted by gws...while he was their list manager. he's not exactly gonna come out and say the guy is a spud. not that i think he is, but pick 5 is too much to give up for a player who isn't best 22 period, no matter what other steak knives they throw in the deal, especially when our defense is coming along quite nicely but we probably still need another 10 good mids.

Emma Quayle has an article about the giants and their salary cap squeeze
Greater Western Sydney lost access to more than $1.1 million extra salary cap space over the next two years as part of the AFL's new competitive balance policy.

The Giants' total player payments have been reduced two years ahead of the schedule laid out when the newest club's draft and salary cap concessions were announced in 2009, contributing to a list squeeze this year.
So I'd hold off on pick 5. We should be able to get Marchbank for less as long as we do another salary dump.

So I'd hold off on pick 5. We should be able to get Marchbank for less as long as we do another salary dump.[/B]

Everytime I see that term used it reminds me of 10 day detox I once did.

So I'd hold off on pick 5. We should be able to get Marchbank for less as long as we do another salary dump.
They'll be dumping players like WHE and still getting second rounders for them. Maybe Pamer???? I can't think of too many other players on their list that are contracted that teams wouldn't be happy to trade for unlike Lamb and maybe Sumner last year

I don't know whether he'll get more time but I just feel he should unless injuries have ruined him.

His upward curve in 2014 was phenomenal and so disappointed for him that he has been crueled by injury over the past 2 years.

SOS may not have the same connection given he wasn't involved in his recruitment, but on the strength of what I saw in 2014, I'd keep him without a second thought......and I know....that may likely mean 2 years on the primary list.

Thanks mate. Agreed, it's a huge pity that he has never had a chance to build on 2014.

Is there any mechanism by which he can be released and then re-rookied again? Not sure whether that's allowed or not. A one year primary list contract is about the best that can probably be expected I'd say

Just posted this in the Nick G player thread, but thought I'd give it a run here as well with his review being posted...

Poor old Nick Graham. I really like him and think he has a bit to offer, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with the club and fans.
Really started to show some improvement in the back end of last year. In his 5 FULL games, he averaged 19.8 touches, splitting pretty evenly between contested and uncontested and averaged 5 clearances, 5.2 tackles and just over 4 i50's a game playing as an inside mid.
This year, whilst he played more games, he seemed to be used more as an outside mid, which I'm sure all of us agree he isn't suited to, with time resting forward. He averaged 18.3 touches (only a small step backwards), but most interestingly he split those disposals about 66/33% uncontested/contested and only averaged 1.75 clearances (only one game of 5+). His tackling was still good at 4.9 per game, but i50's also dropped to 2.5 average.
His best game for the year seemed to be as an inside mid.
22 touches, 10 contested, 6 clearances, 10 tackles, 4 i50's.

I'd really like to see him played at the coal face next to Cripps and Curnow, allowing Murph and Gibbs to play more outside using their speed and elite kicking to deliver inside 50 and allowing somebody like Kerridge to move to a forward flank where his poor disposal won't hurt as much, he can hit the scoreboard like he did at Adelaide, and use his running to drag his opponent up the ground and tire them.

That's if he stays on the list. The signs aren't good, but I think it would be a shame.
Jason Tutt has similar 2016 stats to Graham,and was used more outside and forward....now i also dont want to go on about b grade players who supposedly cant play ,however Tutt selected a trade to us in 2014 and was rated at dogs...He has pace and can run through and past opposition,i still feel he is under valued this year,he is a good depth player like it or not...and either of these players are good depth players with no point in recycling them for the sake of another b grader..both deserve a chance to improve next year..

Any word yet on whether Sheehan is likely to get another year with you guys? Waiting to see how trade week, and specifically Tuohy's future plays out? From a purely selfish perspective I hope Tuohy stays, or more specifically doesn't end up at North. It'd mean I'd have to start watching North regularly :(:straining:
Always appreciate other club supporters dropping appreciation on one of ours - particularly when it's a fringey like CS.

They'll be dumping players like WHE and still getting second rounders for them. Maybe Pamer???? I can't think of too many other players on their list that are contracted that teams wouldn't be happy to trade for unlike Lamb and maybe Sumner last year

GWS contract list

Corr is the obvious one. Buntine another, who they wouldn't get more than a 2017 third rounder for.

Thanks mate. Agreed, it's a huge pity that he has never had a chance to build on 2014.

Is there any mechanism by which he can be released and then re-rookied again? Not sure whether that's allowed or not. A one year primary list contract is about the best that can probably be expected I'd say

I don't know for a fact but it was brought up here that, that may be the case.

I can't vouch for the integrity of that poster because I don't recall who it was but given the circumstances it sounds like a reasonable and fair thing to do............I mean, it's not as though we're asking for a priority pick or something. :)

I don't know for a fact but it was brought up here that, that may be the case.

I can't vouch for the integrity of that poster because I don't recall who it was but given the circumstances it sounds like a reasonable and fair thing to do............I mean, it's not as though we're asking for a priority pick or something. :)

I think under those circumstances their is a gentlemen so agreement between the clubs that they wouldn't pinch a player under those circumstances, although that probably doesn't apply to the slimy Adrian Dodoro and the s**t stain club he represents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of curiousity, why? I've seen a number of posters discuss similar scenarios which leave us no better off than just keeping our original picks.
Unless we're getting back multiple picks or players, to me it doesn't make a whole heap of sense.

simply it means we get two top end talents in this draft instead of 1 this year and 1 next. Getting good players in as quick as possible and getting games in to them as quick as possible and tightening the age profile of players coming in together.

I think that the club is investigating moving him to the B rookie list.

Sheehan's was about the only player review I've read but I got the impression he'd be around for 2017.

Why is everybody not wanting James Stewart? If anything, I find him to be slightly more important than Marchbank.

I would do anything to have another experienced tall forward, even if it meant scraping down the bottom of a barrel because having to see another year of Casboult, Jones and Everitt being the main experienced heads down forward just makes me want to tear my hair out. Anything is better than what we already have.

Yes, I know delivery to our current talls can be poor, but one has become lazy and two can't kick to save themselves.

McKay and Curnow are not going to suddenly reach their peak. I am hoping that Stewart accepts us and is a part of the deal, fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back