List Mgmt. 2016 List Management Resource Compilation Thread with Key Post-Season Dates

How do you think we did in the 2016 trade, FA and draft periods? (Answer after they've happened)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Still unhappy with our shambles of a trade period.

I respect not selling the farm for Bryce Gibbs, but I still maintain that we should have had some other options should he fall through. But it doesn't seem like this was the case, as the club said that the intention all along was to go to the draft and back in "Organic Growth" (which never seems to work for us, see 2009). And if that were the case, I think we should have traded to improve our draft position, perhaps by trading a future first/second to get another pick in this draft, or by being a bit smarter in how we used Lyons as trade bait (told him we'd get him to GC if he didn't publicly nominate them to keep his value a bit higher, in order to trade him for a second/upgrade our first).

Somewhat related to "Organic Growth", I still think re-signing 33-year-old Thompson (who is now a year older and slower) was a mistake, as was trading out Lyons for such an average pick (fortunately we seem to have used it well, but that doesn't make it a good deal), which immediately weakens our starting midfield for 2017, the part of the ground that was clearly our big weakness last year.

I think Thommo is too proud to play almost an entire season in the SANFL so I'm worried we will give him too many games rather than fast-tracking someone like Wigg, Knight, CEY or Greenwood in his place. I guess it was hard to get rid of him considering the large number of players we have delisted this year, but the because of the "Organic Growth" policy combined with re-signing someone who will be 34 early next year, I'm not sure whether our intention is to challenge for the flag next year or in 2018 to about 2020. Call me cynical, but if we give Thompson basically another whole year in the AFL in 2017, it suggests we're trying to do both but probably won't achieve either.

However, I'm fairly happy with our draftees. I probably would have chosen Berry over Gallucci because we lack that big bodied midfielder to compete with the Bontempelli/Cripps/Pendlebury/Kennedys of the league, but midfielders were our big need and we got three of them. Hopefully Gallucci or Poholke (or both) can make a contribution to our midfield next year, because I'm not at all optimistic about how our midfield will go next year.

Himmelberg is a tall who can play at either end which is useful cover for us particularly down back and Davis has shown some good signs, although I'm not sure he will break into our forward line for a while yet (probably has Lynch, McGovern, Beech and Menzel to compete with).

A bit surprised we didn't take a punt on another rookie besides Jarman, but not a huge deal. Glad Jarman worked out for us in the end, about time we got a father son.

So I have rated our off-season as "Poor", saved from "Piss" by the draftees that Haggis Ogilvie has pulled out.

I hovered over both average and OK. I went with ok. Am genuinely excited for our top 2 Draft Picks and hopeful the other 3 can contribute at some stage. I am happy the AFC looked after Sam Shaw.

Like Rippa disappointed Thompson is still on our list but will leave the fireworks until after next season. Though given we have/are going 2 short on our list I would hate for Thommo to pull the pin early. And sad that ( it seems) that this decision pushed Lyons out.

Good to see that Ben Jarman is a Crow and no matter the dramas leading up to it , along with Shaw , the AFC have shown all players that we are a club that will do what we can to look after players.

Speaking of looking after people, I guess the most disappointment is in our lack of coaching changes. I don't want change for change sake but when assistants have been at the club for a long time, I wonder at how effective the messaging is? I also am concerned at the lack of new knowledge.

Thank you David Noble and all success at Brisbane. Welcome Bret Burton and all we ask is you do your best.

2017- bring it on.

In the end I decided to go with OK.

Trade Period: Absolute shambles as a result of Gibbs, but glad we didnt pay overs and stuck to our guns.
Draft: In all honesty who knows. Time will tell, but looks like there is plenty of potential.
Rookie: Proud of what the club did with Shaw and glad we gave BJ a crack.

I feel like we are a little light on ruck depth long-term so hope there is something, or more to the point someone, in mind for next season.

how can you judge the National and rookie drafts without seeing any of the new players playing at AFL level.

Well that's a fair comment, but I don't think we did as well in the draft as a team like Brisbane or Gold Coast. As for the rookie draft, passing a pick was unusual so that's why I think we did poorly there.

Well that's a fair comment, but I don't think we did as well in the draft as a team like Brisbane or Gold Coast. As for the rookie draft, passing a pick was unusual so that's why I think we did poorly there.

We did not that is true if you look at it from purely a pick perspective, but we also did not have all the sweet early picks they were able to achieve through trades (mostly forced upon them) and finishing in the lower part of the table.

If you look at it based on needs, I agree that both Brisbane and Gold Coast drafted well but again only time will tell whether they pay off. For us, personally, I agree that it was ok/average if we look at it based on needs only due to not grabbing a ruckman even during the rookie draft.

As pointed out by Spackler and Scorpus, the trading and drafting period were a total disaster for the Crows. It is not whether our 2017 list is better than the 2016 playing list but more importantly whether the AFC did better than the other premiership contenders.

The media commentary on the trading and drafting was of the highest order this year. Hawthorn did a magnificent job bringing in O'Meara and Mitchell (pity they don't get to draft anyone for 2 years). On the other hand Gold Coast were magnificent in the draft (pity they had to lose half their team to get the draft picks). And why is a new club like GWS so much better in the draft than the AFC (could it have anything to do with being able to pick up top 10 draft picks for a bag of peanuts)?

There is no doubt about it, the AFC is clueless and if you want proof just follow the money. Prior to the trade/draft period the Crows were ranked 4th behind the Bulldogs, Giants and Swans to win the 2017 premiership on Sportsbet. After a disastrous month we are now ranked......................................................
4th behind the Bulldogs, Giants and Swans to win the 23017 flag :rolleyes:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it's not such a bad thing we came back empty handed from trade week. We can still sit back and enjoy our windfall from the previous trade period.

Most independent judges rate our current list as one of the top 4 in the AFL (refer to Sportsbet). This is after losing Tippett, 2 X first and 2 X second round draft picks and the current Brownlow medalist over the last 5 trade/draft periods. We have no academy picks and our father son picks wasn't rated in the best 80 players in the draft. If we are so poor at trading and drafting it must be a miracle that we are still competitive.

P.S. My only complaint is that we didn't pick up more players who can play as a loose man in defence.

Most independent judges rate our current list as one of the top 4 in the AFL (refer to Sportsbet). This is after losing Tippett, 2 X first and 2 X second round draft picks and the current Brownlow medalist over the last 5 trade/draft periods. We have no academy picks and our father son picks wasn't rated in the best 80 players in the draft. If we are so poor at trading and drafting it must be a miracle that we are still competitive.

P.S. My only complaint is that we didn't pick up more players who can play as a loose man in defence.
We do lots of things well and have had a medium level of success despite some self-inflicted setbacks. Which is a credit to our recruiters and coaches. Will we do what it takes to reach a higher level? Or are we content with a good effort given what we've got?

As pointed out by Spackler and Scorpus, the trading and drafting period were a total disaster for the Crows.

Woah hold your horses there. I merely said our draft was "average" because it was; we did roughly on par with other teams. (Average != Bad)

The trade period was a disaster though

How can you say that?
It's all relevant to the picks each team had...If Hamish had the same picks at his disposal the Lions and Suns had no doubt he'd have got an A+ in the Media eggspurts opinions.

How can you say that?
It's all relevant to the picks each team had...If Hamish had the same picks at his disposal the Lions and Suns had no doubt he'd have got an A+ in the Media eggspurts opinions.

Nah, it's not relevant to the picks. If you have good picks you'll do better in the draft. Always has been that way. If we traded to get better picks we would have had a better draft.

Did we do well relative to our picks? I'm not sure. Haven't seen a single draftee play AFL yet.

That doesn't apply to the other 17 clubs then too?

Yes. Hence every club does averagely to begin relative to the selections they have, and relative to other clubs.

However Gold Coast and Brisbane did have good drafts. But that's because they had a lot of early picks to use.

Yes. Hence every club does averagely to begin relative to the selections they have, and relative to other clubs.

However Gold Coast and Brisbane did have good drafts. But that's because they had a lot of early picks to use.
So that saying bandied about by players and clubs alike "Where you were drafted means nothing once you're on an AFL list, it's only a number, you all start equal" is just a cliche'??

So that saying bandied about by players and clubs alike "Where you were drafted means nothing once you're on an AFL list, it's only a number, you all start equal" is just a cliche'??

Depends what comparison system you want to use.

At the time of the draft, the best picks deliver the most highly rated players, using pre-draft rankings. Once the players are in an AFL system they all "start equal" and at that point no one has really won the draft.

(Although high picks are more likely to succeed)

As pointed out by Spackler and Scorpus, the trading and drafting period were a total disaster for the Crows. It is not whether our 2017 list is better than the 2016 playing list but more importantly whether the AFC did better than the other premiership contenders.

The media commentary on the trading and drafting was of the highest order this year. Hawthorn did a magnificent job bringing in O'Meara and Mitchell (pity they don't get to draft anyone for 2 years). On the other hand Gold Coast were magnificent in the draft (pity they had to lose half their team to get the draft picks). And why is a new club like GWS so much better in the draft than the AFC (could it have anything to do with being able to pick up top 10 draft picks for a bag of peanuts)?

There is no doubt about it, the AFC is clueless and if you want proof just follow the money. Prior to the trade/draft period the Crows were ranked 4th behind the Bulldogs, Giants and Swans to win the 2017 premiership on Sportsbet. After a disastrous month we are now ranked......................................................
4th behind the Bulldogs, Giants and Swans to win the 23017 flag :rolleyes:.

The Hawks trade period grade will be a disaster if o'Meara does not get on the park because there sold the farm with their first pick been pick 74 this year and no 2017 1st round draft pick with Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson a year closer to retirement.

Back