Mega Thread 2016 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you wouldn't but some people would. A lot of younger guys (probs with rich parents) would do it.

Fyfe is an absolute role model and if not the most popular afl player right now. Jealous old guys in the media feel the need to put him down because he's got what they all want. It's the old "Men want to be him and women want to be with him." Tall poppy syndrome. My friend and I were talking about this and he said it's exactly like when the media were rubbishing Ablett for his captain skills. The media have to find a story on these elite players..it can't possibly be true that they're all just hard working nice guys, there must be something else to it!
Spot on.

They can pick on Ablett because he's up North, and Fyfe because he's over west. But imagine the uproar if anyone came out and said "Dangerfield/Hodge.... They're a bit full of themselves aren't they?"

Everybody in the media jumps to their defence as soon as humanely possible.

Ok, I'll bite. I don't have an issue with how Fyfe conducts himself in the media wrt his contract. Apart from hoping he just signs rather than defer.

But from that article it suggests Nat is selling the opportunity to go on tour with him, train like him and occasionally be in the same room as him - no doubt for a princely sum to Hype tours.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's my Gen X age or maybe it's because I'm not Nat Fyfe but I'm not cool with any sportsperson literally selling tickets of themselves. I don't want to hang with Fyfe, and I sure as s**t couldn't train like him. I just want to see him playing footy in purple.

And that is all you have to do. Who are we to judge what Fyfe wants to do outside his football interests? His job however is to play football for the FFC and he does it better than anyone. What he wants to do outside of that is up to him. We should be thrilled that he is determined to get even better than he already is.

And BTW, training with Fyfe in LA at Lakers venues would be an unreal experience for anybody. How often is the average citizen given such an opportunity?

Spot on.

They can pick on Ablett because he's up North, and Fyfe because he's over west. But imagine the uproar if anyone came out and said "Dangerfield/Hodge.... They're a bit full of themselves aren't they?"

Everybody in the media jumps to their defence as soon as humanely possible.
Luke Podge will whore himself out to any shitty product..

hodgeprizes1.png

Ok, I'll bite. I don't have an issue with how Fyfe conducts himself in the media wrt his contract. Apart from hoping he just signs rather than defer.

But from that article it suggests Nat is selling the opportunity to go on tour with him, train like him and occasionally be in the same room as him - no doubt for a princely sum to Hype tours.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's my Gen X age or maybe it's because I'm not Nat Fyfe but I'm not cool with any sportsperson literally selling tickets of themselves. I don't want to hang with Fyfe, and I sure as s**t couldn't train like him. I just want to see him playing footy in purple.
What??? If Jason Day, Tiger woods etc. wanted to sell rounds of golf with them, the response would be almost immeasurable. If you could pay to face a few overs from Glennn McGrath or Warnie ( in their peaks), almost the entire country of India would lay their money down.
Hans up who would pay to have a one on one with Michael Jordan?
Just because Fyfe is actually doing this and providing an opportunity for the average person to train with an elite athlete does not make him a bad person.
There's a lot worse things he could be doing in his off season.

What??? If Jason Day, Tiger woods etc. wanted to sell rounds of golf with them, the response would be almost immeasurable. If you could pay to face a few overs from Glennn McGrath or Warnie ( in their peaks), almost the entire country of India would lay their money down.
Just because Fyfe is actually doing this and providing an opportunity for the average person to train with an elite athlete does not make him a bad person.

Let me be clear; I never suggested Fyfe was a bad person nor do I buy into the rubbish being peddled about him being a poisonous character in the changerooms. I also don't begrudge players (or anyone with profile) pulling in cash from advertising or marketing opportunities that come their way. But getting people to shell out so that they can rub shoulders is a venture I personally don't dig. It's clear that I'm in the minority with that, but that's cool. As an aside, I like the way Barlow is going about it with his podcast. It gives him great off-field exposure, showcases his personality and no doubt will open some doors along the way for him, be it in media or elsewhere. Fyfe is on it next week, so should be a good listen.

and the Hype guys like Aaron are just regular blokes who are obsessed with basketball (and didn't want a standard office job) so set this up so they could be over in the US watching their heroes on someone else's coin. Pretty smart in my opinion. It's win-win for everyone concerned - even mutton chops gets a good bit of clickbait and another boot into Freo out of it.

Could you even begin to imagine how much flak Fyfe would cop if he was involved in a wankjob ad like this?

If Fyfe is so up himself that he's alienating members of the playing group then you wonder how most Cats players REALLY feel about Patty D...

WTF is this St. Seriously, who comes up with this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barlow is gone guys

"I've caught up with some clubs in Melbourne with my management, I've got good interest and am really looking forward to the next stage in my career"

Q: So fremantles dead in the water?
"I've always maintained that the door is still ajar ... the longer it goes on the more likely it is that I'll seek opportunity elsewhere, I think the situation is exactly that"

Correct me if I've got this wrong but doesn't the club find itself in a difficult position ?
If Michael finds himself a new club willing to pay him a reasonable amount but isn't willing to offer Fremantle an early pick, then Mick can then sit to be delisted and then go to that club as a DFA.

Every potential new club for Mick knows they can sign him up via DFA. = Freo lose.

The only caveat on that scenario is Mick being an outstanding person and signing with us if Freo take that option in the event of no good trade offer. = Freo must rely on Michael to be extremely nice despite going out and finding himself a new home.

Nobody could blame Mick if he just said, no that is not in my best interest and go DFA; he probably won't though.
He is that sort of bloke.

The only situation that could change this would be if two or more clubs were very keen on Mick joining them; and the irony it is because Michael went to the market.

Yes ?

Last edited:
Correct me if I've got this wrong but doesn't the club find itself in a difficult position ?
If Michael finds himself a new club willing to pay him a reasonable amount but isn't willing to offer Fremantle an early pick, then Mick can then sit to be delisted and then go to that club as a DFA.

Every potential new club for Mick knows they can sign him up via DFA. = Freo lose.

The only caveat on that scenario is Mick being an outstanding person and signing with us if Freo take that option in the event of no good trade offer. = Freo must rely on Michael to be extremely nice despite going out and finding himself a new home.

Nobody could blame Mick if he just said, no that is not in my best interest and go DFA; he probably won't though.
He is that sort of bloke.
I think it will play out that we will likely get something in return for Mick whether it ends up being a 2nd or 3rd who knows.
If he gets offered 3 years somewhere then Freo will let him leave and if another club doesn't want to offer anything and Freo still only offer 1 year then he will walk to the PSD, if this scenario happens then I think Freo will suck it up and delist him for his best interests ala Roberton seeing as we are a professionally run club unlike GWS

I think it will play out that we will likely get something in return for Mick whether it ends up being a 2nd or 3rd who knows.
If he gets offered 3 years somewhere then Freo will let him leave and if another club doesn't want to offer anything and Freo still only offer 1 year then he will walk to the PSD, if this scenario happens then I think Freo will suck it up and delist him for his best interests ala Roberton seeing as we are a professionally run club unlike GWS

In which case we get nothing, which is my point.
We can't win.

In which case we get nothing, which is my point.
We can't win.
I did preface by saying I reckon we will get atleast a 2nd or 3rd

But its pretty fair that if we don't offer a reasonable contract that he can leave seeing as we are effectively letting him go anyway. If we don't like losing him for nothing then we should offer him 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back