Mega Thread 2016 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Duffield is on the money about Harley not looking after himself as well as he should or that other nasty rumour doing the rounds is true. Yes he can be unlucky with injury, yes GCS should have looked after him better but to miss a whole season of footy and then have another niggle and be sent to Germany is not ideal.

Duffield is a flog and just coming up with crap now, anything to put down Bennell.
How about he write about how Gold Coast totally neglected Bennel and Fremantle are doing everything they can to fix him!

How did GC neglect him?

Perhaps we should do the same, they got 81 games out of him. We can't even get him out there for 1!

How did GC neglect him?

Perhaps we should do the same, they got 81 games out of him. We can't even get him out there for 1!
By playing their players Including Bennell when they shouldn't have, they didn't sack their whole sports science team for nothing .
Yeah they got 81 games out of him and now it's costing us to get him right, we could of done a gold coast and played him last year for a few games .
But we're trying to fix him for good and that's what Gold Coast failed to do.

By playing their players Including Bennell when they shouldn't have, they didn't sack their whole sports science team for nothing .
Yeah they got 81 games out of him and now it's costing us to get him right, we could of done a gold coast and played him last year for a few games .
But we're trying to fix him for good and that's what Gold Coast failed to do.

Im not sure about that. I doubt he would've got through a full game without straining it. He strained it just weeks into last preseason and again a few days into this preseason.

GC must've filled him with pain killing injections to get him out there and through games with a strain?

I don't believe it coincidentally went from a manageable problem to being a chronic issue of repetitive strains just at the point where we traded him.

Well I don't believe that it just happened when he got to us !
Maybe the pain injections is what stuffed his calf. Ross even said that we were going to put him on ice for the year because we see him as a 10 yr player for us and we want to get him right.

Shame that Duffield wasn't able to give such helpful advice to the Eagles a decade ago. Bennell, unlike a couple of the Eagles' bad boys from 2000-2006, doesn't have a father who's matey with half the Perth media.

Blame a former journo, now member of parliament.

The most saccharine piece of journalism that I have ever seen, was produced by the future Member for Lower Perth.

Clubs have been known to give the heads up to journo's to give a player the going over in print when the club message isn't getting across.
Ross and the club were pretty straight up with Sylvia. I doubt they would dance around any potential behavioural issues with Bennell and ask the media for help - I mean c'monnnn. Ross and the media aren't great buds at the best of times.

More plausible that Ross defended Bennells character but they just ran with their preferred story anyway.

All 4 national drafted players have video interviews up on http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/

And yet Channel 7 did not run any of the interviews in their sports segment tonight. Thankfully Channel 9 covered it.

The boys, apart from Logue, seem pretty shy which is understandable, but for me Sean Darcy is clearly going to be the one that will generate a cult interest, almost passing out with excitement at being here and learning from Sandi.

Ross and the club were pretty straight up with Sylvia. I doubt they would dance around any potential behavioural issues with Bennell and ask the media for help - I mean c'monnnn. Ross and the media aren't great buds at the best of times.

More plausible that Ross defended Bennells character but they just ran with their preferred story anyway.

Yep , you're right on Ross. I was just being devils advocate .;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain this 'joke' to me from Peter Daicos about his son getting drafted.

"... then getting to Collingwood, I couldn't be happier. But again, had he ended up anywhere um, other than uh Fremantle I would have been happy." *laughs* *dismissive nah nah*

Is it 'non-success' thing?

https://audioboom.com/posts/5333882-peter-daicos-on-his-son-josh-being-selected-by-collingwood

(About 1 - 2 minutes in)
Maybe he's just a dick. In saying that however he did try to backtrack while the others were laughing by saying something like "nah nah I can't say that".

Probably because his boy is a small forward and we are perceived as a defensive team.
or maybe because of the recent actions of Yarran and MJ, Bennell's history with powders, McCarthy's well publicised mental health issues, Ballas likeability by every other club, no more Pavlich. Just trying to see the other side of the coin, but if I had a choice and used to play for another club, maybe I wouldn't want my son fitting into that forward line either. Or it may be just the lack of a premiership, Ross Lyon, or he's just a dick. It's hard to say.

Ben Guthrie needs to do his homework.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-28/rookie-draft-observations-clubs-maintain-the-faith

Apple Isle remains fruitless
There were no players originating from Tasmania taken in Friday night's draft. And that theme held firm in Monday's intake.

Brady Grey says hi

Clubs maintain the faith
There were 13 players re-drafted by AFL clubs in the 2016 rookie draft. Seven of those players – Sam Shaw (Adelaide, who remains retired), McKernan (Essendon), Josh Prudden (Western Bulldogs), Yestin Eades (Essendon), Andrew Gallucci (Carlton), Fraser McInnes (West Coast) and Jack Fitzpatrick (Hawthorn) – returned to their clubs. While Jake Barrett (Brisbane Lions), Tendai Mzungu (Greater Western Sydney), Alex Silvagni (Carlton), Henry Schade (Collingwood), Drew Petrie (West Coast) and Shaun Edwards (Sydney Swans) found new homes. There were 42 players re-selected as rookie-listed players prior to the drafts.

Brady's still saying hi, and has brought Josh Deluca along for moral support.

It's because in certain parts of the Victorian media, especially those dominated by Eddie Maguire, Fremantle is still seen as a joke. Don't pretend otherwise.
I think you're right about this.

Another example, Rohan Connelly often uses Freo as his go to 'unpopular interstate club' reference.

I think he has issues with Ross Lyon.

I don't know why either but it does seem likely that someone like Daicos who had such freedom as a forward would find Ross's low scoring teams as annoying. Plenty of people do, including our supporters, but I personally did enjoy the winning and no longer being a joke team.

I also don't think there is any doubt that our team is still looking to be more offensive (but with a defence as well this time) which should make us more watchable.

Surely they weren't jabbing up a calf injury to get him on the park??
Could only end badly!
You would hope not , but all I'm saying is that they should have sorted him out properly and they failed in their duty of care.
A player might say I'm right to go ,but at what stage does the sports science team go s**t Bennell has had a few calf strains we better get on top of this.
A few Gold Coast supporters said he had a bad calf when we picked him up and don't forget that they sacked their whole sports science team because of player welfare issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back