News 2016 Membership discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, have found that even with a membership one needs to pre purchase a ticket these days. And even that is never simple-they seem to have strange rituals re how they release tickets. e.g. We like to sit in the Ponsford, but regularly if you try for tickets early Monday, you can't get the area where you'd like to sit-only ordinary seating available (and you think to yourself, what, how can all the good seat be gone already?). But then you leave it and try again on Thursday, or even Friday-the seats you want are now available, in a good spot. Its bizarre!
I honestly don't mind where I sit on the ground, so long as I am there to support our boys live for every game. Simply scanning my membership for entry seems applicable to me, given I just want to be there, though obviously it's a bit different if it's a blockbuster game v Hawks, Pies, Crows etc

I swear last season that I pre-booked a game at the G online for $2.95.
It's possible I guess that things have changed in the last couple of years. My MCC membership finally came through two years ago, so I no longer have to sit with the plebs ;). But certainly for many years prior to that, to book a ticket at the MCG you had to pay significantly more on top of your membership, and the general admission seating was restricted to a couple of areas in the top level for blockbuster games against Hawks, Collingwood, etc.

It used to annoy me that we, as Geelong members, were forced to sit in the worst seats, even though we were showing our loyalty by taking out a membership. Often the general admission areas at the top would be packed, when other more expensive seating areas were half-empty. But I guess it's all about how much money the AFL thinks it can make from fans who'll pay more to be that bit closer.

Email just received from the club:

Our membership tally has overtaken our all-time record of 46,113 members and the 2016 season is yet to kick off!

This record is a huge achievement for the club, but we aren’t losing sight of our ultimate goal as we power towards exceeding 50,000 members in 2016.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Email just received from the club:

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Article on the breaking of the record:
Chief Commercial Officer Justin Reeves has today announced the club’s membership total has overtaken the all-time record of 46,113 members.

“This record is a huge achievement for us, especially two weeks out from Round 1, but we aren’t losing sight of our ultimate goal. We’re powering towards our goal of exceeding 50,000 members in 2016.

“We couldn’t have reached this milestone without the loyalty and support of our members and it’s an exciting time for the club.

“We’re heavily investing in our customer and match day experience and our members’ journey with the Cats in 2016 will be like no other.”
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-03-16/record-broken-on-the-way-to-50k

Even Essendon has reached 50k members, its a disgrace. Geelong would have as many supporters as any club in the country, why are the membership numbers so low? even during the golden era.

Even Essendon has reached 50k members, its a disgrace. Geelong would have as many supporters as any club in the country, why are the membership numbers so low? even during the golden era.
I know of at least a dozen Geelong supporters who have jumped off the AFL altogether. It'll only get worse.

That's because people have taken pity on the drug cheats.
I'll bet there crowds are a lot lower this year than previous years.

Multi-faceted. Biggest factor is probably Geelong people living in Geelong who are not willing to travel only seeing their team 7-8 times a season, making membership more expensive than buying General Admission when it suits them.

Then I'd say the club has failed to sell a culture/brand (cringe away everyone) that people who are not die-hard footy fans want to be a part of.

We have HUGE numbers of fans, there are Cat fans everywhere.
But we seem to struggle as much as anyone to convert them too members.

I think the mindset of the smaller home ground hurts us, people worry about missing out on a seat.. I disagree with this of course, have never had an issue getting a seat at Geelong.. and if you want to make sure you get one then reserve one. The payment options these days make it a lot more affordable...
But of course not everyone can afford it, people that have no chance of getting to Geelong from the other side of Melbourne etc can't justify the cost as well.

We just need to actually have some better options for those people, hopefully it comes sooner rather than later and we can capitalise on the success that is still associated with us from the last 10 years

50,000 members for us is more like around 65,000 for most other clubs due to seats bought at KP etc.
I think the biggest thing standing in the way of more members is the price of seating at KP.
It really sucks that I paid and stood in the outer for years when we were s**t and now I can't afford to take my kids there cause there too little to take on the terrace.
Another thing is the Melb membership. I don't want any KP games in it cause I'm never going to go there. Just want the G games really.
Wish they could make a membership that goes to both home and away games at the G.

We don't have as many supporters as that.

Roy Morgan's 2014 survey shows that our supporter base across the country is behind the well-established interstate clubs (Dockers and earlier), plus the Bombers, Blues and Magpies.

However, I'd hazard a guess that Geelong has a number of supporters who identify with the club through living in the country, particularly country Victoria. There's little incentive for people who live a long way from Geelong and/or Melbourne to actually purchase a membership as they just won't be attending enough games.

My thinking is that Danger has had a serious impact on our memberships already - but so has Smith. Hopefully in the back of Cats fan's minds is that Scooter and Henderson may yet have impact on the season - and we have quite a few coming thru that could make us a final 8 or a final 4 team this year.

And I would think it could be a pretty exciting team to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaking club membership records is amazing and shouldn't be dismissed. Realistically, Geelong isn't as big as the big five Melbourne clubs or other interstate sides but that's down to a number of factors like geography, and the previous premiership drought. Don't be fooled though the cats have picked up a huge amount of kids during the premiership years, just like hawthorn at the moment, and give them time to grow up and they are potential members. Five years ago 50k was just a pipe dream, now it's reality and with a shiny new stadium the club will be an,e to withstand anything.

I know of at least a dozen Geelong supporters who have jumped off the AFL altogether. It'll only get worse.
There is a bit in this I reckon.

While the club could potentially do more there would be a percentage of people who have decided to walk away from the game itself (partly due to the way the game is now played, partly due to the governing body and their continual need to "tinker").

Couple that with access to TV/Streaming and people might just decide to not bother spending the money on a membership (especially if they don't feel it is good value for money).

Multi-faceted. Biggest factor is probably Geelong people living in Geelong who are not willing to travel only seeing their team 7-8 times a season, making membership more expensive than buying General Admission when it suits them.
Probably requires a poll on the Cats website or the club needs to start canvassing the membership base to get a feel for this but I wonder if the club would pick up new members (or renewals or re-joins) if they made the Melbourne membership purely Melbourne based and dropped the 2 Geelong games (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

Possibly have an offering for Kardinia Park matches only.

Obviously there is a cost analysis that has to be done for this kind of thing but at a high level I'll assume that would make the memberships cheaper. In an age where money is getting tighter and tighter for many, things like footy memberships often fall by the wayside so if the club can spruik a drop in price in a time when most things go up then that is a sales point to leverage.

After all, if people are prepared to let their insurance lapse or struggle to pay their electrity and water bills on time then I can see why football memberships are deemed to be a luxury rather than a necessity.

I'm not too sure how the cost of our memberships stack up against other clubs but I know my partner, a North member, often comments how expensive my membership is compared to hers (and she has a reserved seat while I just go the basic GA option).

I understand there are supporters/members out there who simply can't wrap their head around the idea that some fellow supporters/members don't or can't get to every single game and while I think the club does have a few options out there they might want to consider a couple more to try and get these supporters to convert to memberships.

Dangerfield will likely only provide a one-off bump.

Last edited:
Even? They've got a huge supporter base that has been mobilised by the notion that their club is in crisis.
Hey, it was a tactic that worked well for Abbott and Hockey...wait...no it didn't.

The hilarity of me not being able to renew my membership.

Or are they punishing opt out of auto renewals.:D
What has happened?
They probably are pushing for the auto-renew

image.png What's people's thoughts on this ? Is it a little bit sneaky of us? A bit of an easy way to see the membership tally rise....
I'm not comparing babies to pet memberships but I feel it's of the same ideals..

View attachment 227294 What's people's thoughts on this ? Is it a little bit sneaky of us? A bit of an easy way to see the membership tally rise....
I'm not comparing babies to pet memberships but I feel it's of the same ideals..
I'd better talk to the other half about hospital choice!!
It's a private hospital so trust me... the mums and dads are still going to be paying for it!

A bit of a sneak peek as to part of the match day experience perhaps?

CeNlzU-WsAAmW18.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back