MRP / Trib. 2016 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports (aka Chook lotto)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree.

Also don't like face massages, pushing down on the opponents head to get up ... just macho bullshit.

My only query on some incidents is whether they were retaliatory rather than a thug act and I wouldn't mind games being reviewed to look at those sorts of things.
Yeah it might be a bit hypocritical but I have no issue with someone smacking someone else in retaliation for the same thing.

Levi got what he deserved. And I hope the club don't automatically bring him back in the following week.
Drop Everitt and bring up Jaksch and Jones to see how they go at the top level as a team.

Seems that Jaksch had to play in defence for the Bullants last week.

Agree with the suspension, however this is long overdue and is just another case of the so called professional AFL changing the rules as they go along. This has been going on for over 24 months and the Hawks were the masters of it, it should have been put to bed then, not let it roll along and fine players a pittance of their worth and then deciding to suspend players without warning. There is no need for punching a guy on the football field, full stop.

This portrayal of on field hits extends down to the juniors who watch their idols on a weekly basis. At qtr time last years coaching U/10's as the boys were running in I watched my son running towards me with a big smile on his face, when we were in the huddle he was crying? I asked what was wrong and some kid had punched him in the stomach as he was running into the huddle. FFS where would you learn that? Being a coach I addressed it accordingly as a dad I was f-ing fuming.

Msr mentioned the Bryce Gibbs tackle yet a week later Shultz got off for a nearly identical tackle? And lets not mention the Conca coward hit. Sorry to ramble, but the AFL is a joke.
Conca... and Rance... should have been rubbed out for life for their punches to the back of the head... does no one remember Phil Hughes? And all those kids who are ending up with serious issues or dead from cowards punches? It doesn't take much... just hitting the right spot will kill someone.

Smart footy players will put it in the memory bank and retaliate during play.
Because I was a bit shorter than kids my age when I was still in primary school, I learnt to jump slightly when going for the ball... especially when it was a kid that had been giving me a bit of grief during a game... or in a previous game. I have a very long memory for slights!

Well said!

As always it is about the timing of the decisions. Perhaps given what they have done already this year the noble thing to do was have the same consistency in penalty for the remainder of the season but make it clear going into next year these incidents will draw a suspension. I agree these type of acts should warrant a suspension but what I cannot accept is that for the first 14 weeks it didn't.

Don't agree. The AFL should be responsive to problems and, where necessary, correct them immediately. That applies to all problems, including allocating priority draft picks.

Shortly prior to the Zacharakis suspension it became clear that gut punches were a real problem and that fining players was not deterring the activity. Therefore it was appropriate for the AFL to alter its approach to regulating that problem.

Last edited:
Don't agree. The AFL should be responsive to problems and, where necessary, correct them immediately. That applies to all problems, including allocating priority draft picks.

Shortly prior to the Zacharakis suspension it became clear that gut punches were a real problem and that fining players was not deterring the activity. Therefore it was appropriate for the AFL to alter its approach to regulating that problem.

If you honestly think gut punches or jumper punches have only arisen this year we can agree is disagree. My point is for something that has been going on for a long time to change the rules mid season is wrong.

The AFL has never acted on anything straight away, hence the reason so many people are peed off. It is the constant "interpretation" of the rules that gives everyone the irrates. It should take them no longer than 3-4 games to see an unsociable trend coming into play and rule upon it to get rid of it, the same way they can change the interpretation of the rules every month

If you honestly think gut punches or jumper punches have only arisen this year we can agree is disagree. My point is for something that has been going on for a long time to change the rules mid season is wrong.
I don't agree. Gut punches may have being going on for some time but they vary in seriousness and effect. The AFL may claim that the recent suspensions do not evidence a change in approach by it.
Let's assume that such a claim is incorrect. What that means is the problem is now viewed more seriously by the MRP. That the change in attitude occurred mid season is simply a fact and the AFL should be flexible and responsible enough to respond now to that fact.
As for Levi he is a repeat offender. This is his third offence in a relatively short period of time. His suspension is to be expected.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me, it should be treated the same as a cowards punch to the face. It's the intent that should be punished.
If it happened anywhere else but on the football field, it would be a police matter. The AFL is constantly playing catch up on community expectations because of outdated macho attitudes. Definitely time for the AFL to knock it on the head (pun intended) properly. No half measures.

Yeah it might be a bit hypocritical but I have no issue with someone smacking someone else in retaliation for the same thing.

If only for when they all get to the tribunal and to see the retaliator use the 'but he started it!' excuse...

I don't think it should be any more than a fine. The tackle has just gone slightly wrong but there didn't seem to be malice in it at all.

Hogan I completely disagree with. He absolutely meant to do that.
Hogan was smart enough to go for an elbow to the melon instead of a love tap to the bread basket.

Don't get me started lads......
images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back