2016 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't want to let 2015 go, because it was such a good year for music. I have some stuff to share though, which I will put in my next post.

What albums are everyone looking forward to this year? In no order, I'm keen to give the following a listen:

DIIV - Is this Is Are (February 5th)
Kanye West - Swish (TBA)
Wild Nothing - Life of Pause (February 19th)
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit (TBA)
Basement - Promise Everything (January 29th)
Frank Ocean - TBA (TBA)
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3 (TBA)
Wet - Don't You (January 29th)
Pusha T - King Push (June 30th)
The Jezabels - Synthia (February 12th)
M.I.A. - Matahdatah
Drake - Views From the 6 (TBA)
Chromatics - Dear Tommy (TBA)
James Blake - Radio Silence (TBA)
Jesu/Sun Kil Moon - Jesu/Sun Kil Moon (February 19th)
Nada Surf - You Know Who You Are (March 4th)
Thee Oh Sees - Fortress (TBA)
Daughter - Not to Disappear (January 15th)
Damien Jurado - Visions Of Us On The Land (TBA)
Violent Femmes - We Can Do Anything (TBA)
Adrian Younge - Something About April II (January 22nd)
David Bowie - Blackstar (January 8th)
Skunk Anansie - Anarchytecture (January 15th)
Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger (January 29th)
Deep Sea Diver - Secrets (February 19th)
The Last Shadow Puppets - TBA (TBA)
PJ Harvey - TBA (TBA)
The Strokes - TBA (TBA)
Lupe Fiasco - Drogas (TBA)

Hopefully it can at least get close to living up to 2015.

Last edited:
Some very early stuff from this year I've enjoyed:

The channel that uploaded the second video uploads a lot of dope stuff. In fact, they also promoted the first track haha. Definitely worth subscribing too. There's some trash on there, but worth it for some of the gems they post.

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is the death of the drummer in todays music especially with regards to personality of sound.
Wouldn't know who was playing the drums in any track these days.
Bonham you could tell by his distinctive kick and snare,Copeland by his hats.
Today they all sound like they rollled out of one factory.

Drummers were stars in the 70s and by record companies cutting the drummer out,that's one less big cheque to pay out hence most talent shows focussing on singers these days so they can milk them dry for a few cover albums.

Most drummers became big name artists to make themselves well known Zappa ,Gabriel,Grohl,even Di Meola was a drummer first.

And most drums these days come from pasting wav loops or creating midiloops.
R.I.P. the drummer.
Campaigners rule.

Today people fawn over people with laptops raving drugs at daggy dance festivals.

As Zappa said "oh spare me please".

Last edited:

One thing I've noticed is the death of the drummer in todays music especially with regards to personality of sound.
Wouldn't know who was playing the drums in any track these days.
Bonham you could tell by his distintive kick and snare,Copeland by his hats.
Today they all sound like they rollled out of one factory.

And most drums come from pasting wav loops or creating midiloops.
R.I.P. the drummer.
Campaigners rule.

Fair call. The band is pretty out there, admittedly, but Zach Hill's work on drums in Death Grips is superb, in my opinion.

Fair call. The band is pretty out there, admittedly, but Zach Hill's work on drums in Death Grips is superb, in my opinion.

But listening to it ,I wouldn't be able to say oh that's Zach Hill.

The only drummer I reckon had a distintive sound was Jimmy Chamberlin from The Smashing Pumpkins.

Bill Bruford is another with a distintive drum sound.

But listening to it ,I wouldn't be able to say oh that's Zach Hill.

The only drummer I reckon had a distintive sound was Jimmy Chamberlin from The Smashing Pumpkins.

Eh, perhaps it's just because I enjoy the band, but I can certainly recognise Zach Hill's drumming. Particularly towards the end of that track.

Hopefully it's something that does make a return though.

Listened to the Album today on Spotify, apart from the last song which is not available and is called "I can't give everything away" !

The guy is a ******* genius !!!!!

Also, an example of great saxophone in rock music (From a thread I started earlier)

2015 was the worst year for music, I bought 3 albums, and 2016 isn't looking any better, the only album I'm looking forward is a re-release.

CHORUS by Lush. It is special edition release of their 5 1990's albums with extra tracks including B-sides, demos and other mixes.

2015 was the worst year for music, I bought 3 albums, and 2016 isn't looking any better, the only album I'm looking forward is a re-release.

CHORUS by Lush. It is special edition release of their 5 1990's albums with extra tracks including B-sides, demos and other mixes.

I thought 2015 was a superb year for music. :confused: There's some releases I'm looking forward to a lot for this year too.

What kind of music do you listen to?

John Grant's album is a ripper.

I bought King Gizard's vinyl,very good homegrown hippy blues.
Canary,another great Melbourne band with trumpet but the band has many elements,I can hear some Radiohead influence in their sound.

Their albums are cheap on bandcamp.

P.S. must say the Australian scene is very strong,it's just that we don't get to listen to them all,only through independent radio.

I listen to Across The Tracks 8-10 pm Sunday Nights on RRR.
The modern version of Billy Pinnels old show on EON FM.

Great show with alot of different styles and the presenter plays a few tracks from his album of the week.
All of them have been rippers.

Last edited:
Most of my favourite artists are either New Wavers from the late 70, early 80's (yes I'm that old) or Indie artists from the early 90's, but I'd like to think I have varied tastes. I have plenty of music from every decade going back to the twenties and thirties. I hate country, modern pop and hip hop, but generally I'll listen to anything.
The albums I purchased last year (it was actually 4) were Sarah Blasko, Tame Impala, Veruca Salt and Juliana Hatfield.

I'm the same, love anything that makes the soul stir.
I love a bit of ole Slim Dusty also.

Captain Beefheart's Ice Cream For Crow has been my latest listen and that is an album from 1982.

And a 70's jazz album by Woody Shaw.

Now we have Spotify and RRR do a great service of listing the mp3s of shows,discovering music has never been so easy.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This time last year: 2015 will be a great year for music with new albums from Frank Ocean, Kanye, Radiohead and Drake"

This time this year: "2016 will be a great year for music with new albums from Frank Ocean, Kanye, Radiohead and Drake" :rainbow:

I forgot The Jezabels existed until the other day.

Well and truly jumped the shark after that pretty horrendous sophomore LP but their EP's and debut were pretty phenomenal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back