2016 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

Great video but I really don't get the hype about this band.
Yeah, I adore the band, but I still understand why some people just don't get them. Usually it's primarily because of Wil's voice, it's very much a Marmite kind of prospect; you either love it or you don't.

As for me I've been a big fan since their first album so I've definitely bought into the hype, but perhaps like you a lot of my mates haven't.

I just think they're contrived w***ers. And the music is just standard pub fare. And every track sounds like the one before it.

I just think they're contrived ******s. And the music is just standard pub fare. And every track sounds like the one before it.

Tell me a band that isn't contrived and doesn't have a formular, most bands have exactly that, their own sound..

The standard pub fare appeals to some people..

It's like the stones or the strokes, they have a formula, but I like that they sound live and garage rock etc...

Sometimes you don't have to overthink music..

I just think they're contrived ******s. And the music is just standard pub fare. And every track sounds like the one before it.
To be fair though, as Mootsy said, every band has their own signature style or sound and for The Smith Street Band, their sound is pretty much just Pub Rock. I don't really see the whole 'every track sounds like the one before it' dig either, as it's been said, that every band has their own sound and style. Take Whitney for example, and band that you've posted about, and a band that I'm a pretty big fan of. Their whole album sounds very similar, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just their style. Same goes for The Smith Street Band.

I'm my opinion though, it's a pretty average song. Smith Street Band are pretty hit and miss for me, as they have some crackers, and then some much less than average ones too. Ducks Fly Together is still a great song.

As I said, I love the band, but I certainly get why some people just don't like them.

But, I have to admit, I don't see 'pub rock band' in them at all. In my experience most bands that would fall into that category are generally older guys who's musical tastes lie exclusively in the realm of formulaic hard rock.

Also I strongly disagree with the criticism that their sound, or whatever, is excessively contrived. Everything they do is dripping in sincerity, perhaps even to a fault at times.

Last edited:

not sure if the xx or chainsmokers

there's actually some lovely bits in this; from 1:35 where the beat hits remy's voice, the gentle build under oliver's bridge. just reckon the chopped-up chorus is straight s**t. if jamie wants to mash vocal samples he can do it on his solo work.

there's actually some lovely bits in this; from 1:35 where the beat hits remy's voice, the gentle build under oliver's bridge. just reckon the chopped-up chorus is straight s**t. if jamie wants to mash vocal samples he can do it on his solo work.
Yeah it's not executed too well here, feels like an In Colour off-shoot, but I can see the blending of his solo stuff actually working really well. This band has been poor returns of the same s**t since the second album. I heard a few bootlegs of the third album stuff and it was incredibly dull – you cannot have three albums consisting around space and slow call-and-responses. This song does have some nice moments but it doesn't present very well as a whole... I know it's not their schtick but why are they so afraid of a big chorus? This thing builds really well, and I'm just expecting some sort of bangin drum pattern to come in.

The second album was one of the worst follow-ups I've heard and one of the most boring music I have ever heard. They need to change it up. Romy and Oliver's voices and its interplay is already an incredibly noticeable motif... they don't need icy guitars and drum pads to just make it sound like an xx song.

But yeah this song has some great guitar sounds, the production is pretty smart (just the little pang of noise before Oliver's second vocal bit – the way it screeches as he gets more into it...). Guy is so talented.

Honestly hoping this album isn't s**t because the first half of xx is some of the coolest s**t to ever come out of privileged Britain.

Overall this just feels like a good album track though, not a great comeback song. It's missing something. Strays a little too hard into boring territory.

Also new LC.

This band just plain annoys me these days. They've gone pop-punk in the last few songs and it's sort of been grating considering I was listening to their fan club 7"s when I was still in high school... also the description of this track is so lame – who needs to self-medicate because of a soccer competition? And wow who doesn't get drunk when they have issues in their life? The production on this is borderline offensive – their bedroom recordings somehow still sound exactly the same as something produced in Portugal?! – and it grates on me how often they've trudged out that exact same synth stabby-sound as a layer. I mean it isn't bad but it's fundamentally boring.

Reality is, the lead singer is married now and no longer has anything to actually celebrate or mourn. I wish they'd tried something new.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really growing on me and I actually liked it when it first came out. They played it when I saw them in June and it already seemed to be a concert anthem then for the people that had caught them at the Big Pineapple festival. Look forward to hearing it again live now.

Also stoked that Jeff Rosenstock worked with them on their new album and think you can hear a little bit of that in Death to the Lads. Hoping we get some more Calgary Girls-esque songs with his involvement.

not sure if the xx or chainsmokers

Agreed. Was pretty disappointed. About as disappointed as I was by the rest of their debut after hearing Intro. I know that's pretty contrarian, but the rest of that album didn't do much for me, despite that being such a great album opener. Don't get me wrong, some great tracks on there, just didn't think they lived up to Intro.

Imagine if you thought an overdramatic opener used to montage BBC 'investigative' documentaries was the best thing on an album which has that Islands / Heart Skipped a Beat one-two.

Yeah it's a cool tee, surprised someone clocked it! Chaz is the man, everything he does is just cool.
Yeah Chaz is a super cool guy, just seems like he'd be a heap of fun to hang with. He's coming out to Australia next year around March time for that new Pitch Music Festival, hopefully he does some extra shows.

Hmmm, I like it. Sounds somewhat like Anderson Paak (I actually thought that was Paak screaming at first) singing over a Miguel intstrumental, I guess?

I've never gotten into his rapping much - too many 'clever' punchlines, not enough BARS, you know? - but this direction could be pretty interesting.

I'll give it 7.8.

8.3 if it's an album opener.

That sounds terrible. What does it want to be? Half-way between massive and late-night-low-key. The gospel thing is pretty try hard... it sounds so much like a Pablo instrumental.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back