List Mgmt. 2016 National Draft - Rookie Draft Monday 28th

Remove this Banner Ad

So much for promising to re-rookie Schade.

I can see why they re-rookied Brooksby cause I do think he has something to offer.

Loerech probably is probably for coaching reasons.

But still think Schade is far better than both of them.

And they could've at least given another academy player a chance since we had one more category b rookie spot available anyway.

Maybe the pies told Schade they'd pick him
So he told Suns let me go
Lets face it, he is never ever going to make it.. Brooksby has had some massive games in the neafl ans is flexible. . As for Loersch, I personally have no idea but they must see something in him..
I won't be shedding any tears about losing Slim Schadey..

Schade still had one year left on contract , i guess Pies are paying that last year , expensive rookie.

Schade still had one year left on contract , i guess Pies are paying that last year , expensive rookie.
That would be a great result for everyone concerned except Collingwood but Fu@k Collingwood! Why wouldn't you grab Mitch Brown if you're worried about your lack of key backs..

Unlucky for Schade, although if it were between Brooksby and Schade I would probably just choose Brooksby (or neither) as he can play forward/back/ruck, at least in the NEAFL, and neither of them were likely to get any games for us in the future, lets be honest. Schade was entering his 6th season at the club (boy does time fly or what!) and managed 20 games, while graduating from the Jared Grant school of not putting muscle on. And he was behind May, Thompson, Leslie, and Day. But at least at Collingwood he could get some games with their lack of mature talls down back.
And with Loersch, at least our NEAFL side has a big forward again to straighten us up. Still a mountain of a kid, so lets see how he goes with another season under his belt.

Last edited:
Why the * would we redraft Brooksby and Loersch? Absolutely bonkers. Should have picked up Schade first - ******* Brooksby. My god.

Something must have been very wrong with Jonty Scharenberg - every thought he'd go top 30 in the national draft, and he didn't even get rookied. Strange.

Love that we picked up Spencer though.

Man Spencer was a nervous wreck on the Suns TV interview - had a bit of a laugh but couldn't help but feel sorry for him too. He looks genuinely excited about playing for the Suns and I reckon he'll take the opportunity given to him and really try to push for senior selection or upgrade. Legend.

Seems we have replaced Schade with a more versatile version with the 190cm Spencer.

From the Bully:

“His ability to counter-attack off half-back has been really impressive and also his ability to play on smalls and talls as that third tall in the backline.”

Palm Beach-Currumbin senior coach Chad Owens also backed Spencer to make the transition into the top level.

“He’s got a good balance between defence and offence and uses the width of the ground really well to get that switch kick out of defence,” Owens said.

“He’s a very good spoiler and very good one-on-one.

“He also has the ability to sneak forward and kick a goal as well because he has actually got really good hands in a one-on-one marking contest.”

Pretty sure the AFLPA require the delisting club (GCS) pay the the difference between rookie payment and contract.
Correct. The pies just have the rookie contract. GCS foot the rest of the bill in their cap.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Man Spencer was a nervous wreck on the Suns TV interview - had a bit of a laugh but couldn't help but feel sorry for him too. He looks genuinely excited about playing for the Suns and I reckon he'll take the opportunity given to him and really try to push for senior selection or upgrade. Legend.
he WAS very nervous but he actually expresses himself well, something about him he strikes me as maybe not as high profile as some others but will excel with focus and hard work instead, I reckon he looks like a kid that is determined to make it

he WAS very nervous but he actually expresses himself well, something about him he strikes me as maybe not as high profile as some others but will excel with focus and hard work instead, I reckon he looks like a kid that is determined to make it

I'd rather a salt of the earth bloke like this than a cocksure and aloof bloke like O'Meara

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey on the final RTTD podcast reckons all four of our top ten picks are ready to / will play Round one. Sounded very confident. Four new young players is a bit too risky in Round 1 IMO, especially for the local derby, but I'd love to see Ainsworth, Brodie and Bowes break in there straight up.

Twomey on the final RTTD podcast reckons all four of our top ten picks are ready to / will play Round one. Sounded very confident. Four new young players is a bit too risky in Round 1 IMO, especially for the local derby, but I'd love to see Ainsworth, Brodie and Bowes break in there straight up.
No doubt they are quality young men but I think 2 would be the maximum to play round 1 even if it's a soft game against the Lions.

was having a joke with a Suns staff member yesterday regarding Scotty Clayton being in a cold sweat not drafting a skinny talented indigenous player and was told he was desperate to sign Petrevski Seton and Rocket overruled him and said NO more of that profile if you get my drift

Lol it's starting to look like Rockets club now.
Got Barry Hall onboard.
Over rides Clayton

Surely the Club will announce a extended contract shortly.
Can anyone confirm Rockets wife and or family are on the Coast?

was having a joke with a Suns staff member yesterday regarding Scotty Clayton being in a cold sweat not drafting a skinny talented indigenous player and was told he was desperate to sign Petrevski Seton and Rocket overruled him and said NO more of that profile if you get my drift
This pleases me.

Suns couldn't get the funding to sign the basketball recruit Tom Howard from Townsville.

From the NEAFL:

Southport Sharks have bolstered their ruck stocks by signing former Townsville basketball star Tom Howard.

The 21-year-old trialled with the Gold Coast Suns in the first month of pre-season training in the hopes of being signed as a Category B rookie.

But when Howard’s opportunity didn’t eventuate, the club put him in touch with the Sharks to continue his football development in the NEAFL next year.

Howard had only played one year of football in his junior days before concentrating on his basketball career. He played played three games for the Crocodiles in the NBL before they pulled out of the new-look national competition for this season due to financial troubles.

The 200cm ruck prospect, who was travelling down from Townsville to the Gold Coast mid-week to train with the Suns, began training with their academy before joining the senior group when they returned from their off-season break.

Howard said initially reached out to the Suns to see whether there would be any interest, but once he was given an opportunity he wanted to make the most of it.

“When Townsville folded I was left with no real option,” he said.

“I was playing off-season basketball in Townsville and my manager and I were talking about football, and once I got in contact with the Suns, they got back to me pretty much straight away.

“I did a few sessions with the academy group first because the senior list were still on end of season break. The ball kept rolling from there and I stayed with them for a while.

“It was heaps of fun. I really enjoyed it at the Suns and they were all behind me.

“It was unfortunate they couldn’t get the funding to keep me on, so they put me towards Southport and that’s where I’m at.”

Howard is a big boost to the Sharks key position stocks to help carry the load alongside NEAFL Team of the Year ruckman Fraser Thurlow.

Howard said he relished the chance to train in a professional environment with the Suns, and is looking forward to making the permanent move to the Gold Coast in the New Year.

“There were around 40 blokes training and everyone gets on so well. I was super happy to be a part of it all, so I didn’t have too much trouble transitioning in terms of that side of things," he said.

“I’m extremely excited to join Southport. I’m super keen to try and help them out much as I can.

“I’ve only been to one session so far but the boys were really good. I think they are keen to have me on and help me learn and develop.

“I just can’t wait to get out on the field with them and have a kick, get to know them all better and hopefully help bring some success to the Sharks.”

Meanwhile, the Sharks have also confirmed star forward Jack Anthony has re-signed for the 2017 season.

Palm Beach ruckman/forward Jon Croad, and Aspley ruckman Jed Turner – who resides on the Gold Coast - have also joined the club.

Jesse sure grew late that year. He is supposedly 191cm where scheer is only 183cm
Is Jesse actually 191? I always thought that was a typo on our website. He looks about 184ish when playing. No way is he as tall as Kade or Trent. Looks more the size of Saad.

Is Jesse actually 191? I always thought that was a typo on our website. He looks about 184ish when playing. No way is he as tall as Kade or Trent. Looks more the size of Saad.
I agree, have him down at 181.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back