Autopsy 2016 National Draft (NM Picks: 11; 32; 33; 80)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't there 2 F/S picks to bottom teams.

there will be academy players going to both GWS and GC inside the top 25.

Harry Perryman (GWS academy) Top 10
Will Setterfield (GWS academy) Top 15
Kobe Mutch (GWS academy) Top 20
Harrison McCreadie (GWS academy) Top 20
Jack Bowes (GC academy) Top 10
Brad Scheer (GC academy) Top 20

The GWS are going to be a top team for as long as the mind can imagine. These academies are absolutely a rort. Because they know they are going to keep banking these highly talented young players, they trade others out from earlier years drafts to keep on topping up on high picks. The AFL has created a monster. An old Captain of the Royboys, Matty Rendell told us similar to this a long time ago.

Setterfield is another another Albury Local that has been boarding at caufield grammar for the last 2 years....So how much influence has GWS had on his development...I'm tipping none.

Kobe Mutch is from Mildura/Broken Hill....so we know GWS wouldn't be putting much effort and time in out there. Boards in victoria and plays for the bendigo pioneers.

The GWS are going to be a top team for as long as the mind can imagine. These academies are absolutely a rort. Because they know they are going to keep banking these highly talented young players, they trade others out from earlier years drafts to keep on topping up on high picks. The AFL has created a monster. An old Captain of the Royboys, Matty Rendell told us similar to this a long time ago.
Living in the Riverina I'm slightly torn on this. The AFL were basically invisible in our region for 30 years prior to the invention of the Giants, now there's kids being drafted left, right & centre. There was always talent here, they just didn't give two hoots about developing/discovering it until they had a new franchise to flog. Great to see the game take off where rugby league was once dominant but there has to be a better way of doing than the current model of making it an enormous zone for the Giants.
About the only people who'd be happy to see a Giants flag are under 18. Apart from the AFL suits, of course.

Living in the Riverina I'm slightly torn on this. The AFL were basically invisible in our region for 30 years prior to the invention of the Giants, now there's kids being drafted left, right & centre. There was always talent here, they just didn't give two hoots about developing/discovering it until they had a new franchise to flog. Great to see the game take off where rugby league was once dominant but there has to be a better way of doing than the current model of making it an enormous zone for the Giants.
About the only people who'd be happy to see a Giants flag are under 18. Apart from the AFL suits, of course.

Don't most of the top footy players up that way end up boarding in melbourne? I always thought that was the general pathway they took up your way.

The Murray Bushrangers has always had consistent levels of players getting drafted.

Don't most of the top footy players up that way end up boarding in melbourne? I always thought that was the general pathway they took up your way.

The Murray Bushrangers has always had consistent levels of players getting drafted.
I'm a bit further north, about an hour north of Wagga. The Giants drafted 4 kids last year (Matthew Kennedy, Zac Williams, Jacob Hopper & Harry Himmelberg) who are all from clubs within an hour/hour an half of me. I think only Hopper spent time with the Rebels, the rest played their junior rep footy with the NSW-ACT Rams & occasional games with their local clubs (as Luke Breust & Jake Barrett did here in Temora). Anyone who shows any promise is whisked into the Giants Academy at Wagga from about age 14 where they train regularly & play games over summer etc. Gradually they're whittled down. None of which happened pre-Giants.
Incidentally, Barrett is one of the Giants who I think could come cheap & I'd love to see us take a look at. Terrific kid, works his arse off but is simply not going to get a look in at the Giants.

I'm a bit further north, about an hour north of Wagga. The Giants drafted 4 kids last year (Matthew Kennedy, Zac Williams, Jacob Hopper & Harry Himmelberg) who are all from clubs within an hour/hour an half of me. I think only Hopper spent time with the Rebels, the rest played their junior rep footy with the NSW-ACT Rams & occasional games with their local clubs (as Luke Breust & Jake Barrett did here in Temora). Anyone who shows any promise is whisked into the Giants Academy at Wagga from about age 14 where they train regularly & play games over summer etc. Gradually they're whittled down. None of which happened pre-Giants.
Incidentally, Barrett is one of the Giants who I think could come cheap & I'd love to see us take a look at. Terrific kid, works his arse off but is simply not going to get a look in at the Giants.

That's exactly what the academy is for. Those sort of guys could be lost to other sports! Those that go to boarding school however they shouldn't get access to because they go through traditional pathways like Hopper did with TAC cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like McGrath, he can play inside and outside but I'm not a big wrap on his kicking. He will be one of the players that tests best at the camp i'd say. Very natural athlete.

Really like Tim Taranto. Not as a first round selection but he'd be good value later on in the draft I'd think (pick in the 30's). He has really really good vision. Was pigeon-holed as a small/half forward earlier this year but has developed his midfield game really well this year. elite work rate.

Now with the points value system, they will need to get more points to keep all of them. Depending on how good they are they might only get 1 or 2 of them. If they want to keep more, they will have to trade established players for more picks to trade in. At least that's my understanding of the changes

Promising midfielder Jordan Gallucci showed AFL-standard class, composure and impact per possession in Eastern's 50-point win over Gippsland on Saturday. Gallucci dominated with an impactful 36 disposals, six marks, six tackles and three goals.

Gallucci displayed two signature strengths multiple times throughout the game.

Firstly, Gallucci has a masterful ability to lower his eyes, immediately find a good target over a short or medium distance and hit them by foot, lace out, where they want it. A natural right-footer, his passes by foot feel Sam Mitchell-esque. The midfielder excels in lowering his eyes, making a quick decision and hitting his intended target off one or two steps.

This ability was impressive around the ground but even more so at stoppages under pressure, when he remained composed and executed well, regardless of the pressure he was under. On several occasions from centre bounces throughout the game, Gallucci would receive the ball by hand, lower his eyes, spot a good target and hit a 15-40m kick cleanly from the stoppage, setting up a shot at goal. He just weights his passes perfectly - gently putting it out in front of his intended targets and seemingly never missing.

Gallucci's second signature play which proved every bit as eye-catching at the weekend is his ability to burst away from stoppages at speed. On several different occasions throughout the match Gallucci explosively burst away and left everyone else in his wake and would then go on to deliver a clean kick to a target up the field.

Also impressive is Gallucci's leadership. Once after an Eastern goal in the second quarter, Gallucci ran 35m to one of his team-mates to offer a hand slap of encouragement before going back to the centre for the next bounce. It's those small acts that are most appreciated and team lifting and it's terrific to see Gallucci at such a young age display that.

Impactful? FFS who was the w***er who wrote that?

I'm originally from the Riverina too but West of Wagga. Once you get further north than Coolamon it was all rugby league. But south and west of there the Aussie Rules culture was pretty strong and south of Wagga it's all Aussie Rules. Places like Wagga, Griffith, Leeton and Narrandera had a pretty even split of Aussie Rules and League.

I'm originally from the Riverina too but West of Wagga. Once you get further north than Coolamon it was all rugby league. But south and west of there the Aussie Rules culture was pretty strong and south of Wagga it's all Aussie Rules. Places like Wagga, Griffith, Leeton and Narrandera had a pretty even split of Aussie Rules and League.
In Temora we're closer to 50/50 now & Luke Breust & the Giants academy are a big part of that. I like the academy in principle & it probably needs a club branding but I'm not sure they should get such a big leg up. They've had so many concessions as it is, it's been infuriating to see 2 Riverina zone kids come in this year & have 30+ touches on debut. That said I don't know what a fairer system is than the current bidding process

Plus the tiny hamlet of Mangoplah, who merged with Cookardinia (my PA at work is from "Mango" and half of her extended family seem to have played a game with the Swans).

In Temora we're closer to 50/50 now & Luke Breust & the Giants academy are a big part of that. I like the academy in principle & it probably needs a club branding but I'm not sure they should get such a big leg up. They've had so many concessions as it is, it's been infuriating to see 2 Riverina zone kids come in this year & have 30+ touches on debut. That said I don't know what a fairer system is than the current bidding process
Temora Kangaroos from memory?

Plus the tiny hamlet of Mangoplah, who merged with Cookardinia (my PA at work is from "Mango" and half of her extended family seem to have played a game with the Swans).
Mangoplah Cookardinia United - The Mighty Goannas!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back