Resource 2016 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

I just republished it with all the stuff you had in your table... although I personally find it a bit hard to read (lots of numbers!)
Haha there is but I like it!

Screenshots of both versions for people wondering:
upload_2016-10-20_15-37-39.png
upload_2016-10-20_15-36-48.png

Haha there is but I like it!

Screenshots of both versions for people wondering:
View attachment 303118
View attachment 303116
Theoretically they should start out with the same points in 2017 as they had in 2016 (before the trade periods). I just noticed the discrepancy, which is as a result of adding in the priority and compensation picks. Basically, the 'before' points for the 2016 trades completely ignore the existence of the compensation and draft picks, but allocate the demoted point values to the remaining picks, if that makes sense? I can fix it but your screen cap will be out of date, if you're using it for anything :p

Theoretically they should start out with the same points in 2017 as they had in 2016 (before the trade periods). I just noticed the discrepancy, which is as a result of adding in the priority and compensation picks. Basically, the 'before' points for the 2016 trades completely ignore the existence of the compensation and draft picks, but allocate the demoted point values to the remaining picks, if that makes sense? I can fix it but your screen cap will be out of date, if you're using it for anything :p
I think that's OK because you would be looking at it with player movements and someone gaining a compensation pick above you does hurt your draft position.

There is also a progression:
  1. Draft order based on H&A final ladder position.
  2. Draft order based on post-finals finishing position.
  3. Adjusted draft order based on trades from previous year.
  4. Adjusted draft order based on free agency compensation and trades from current year.
  5. Actual draft order adjusted by draft bidding and point cost.

these tables would be great if Draft Picks held the type of value a lot of clubs place on them during trade week, too bad they dont
If you want to develop your own point values I can make them again just for you :p I assume you probably mean a more qualitative evaluation though.

If you want to develop your own point values I can make them again just for you :p I assume you probably mean a more qualitative evaluation though.

the way to get a real value of individual picks is to get 20 years of data, assign a quality to each player picked (1-3 in quality Champion/Good/Dud) then you will have a rough idea of the value, the data will obviously be corrupted by Father/Son, Zone picks and Ex AFL-Players, but you can approximate where they would have fallen or take them out of the equation, which would hurt the all-round number of high quality players potentially...

any way thats a lot of work, i posted a bunch of data i collected from 2000-2009 drafts a few years ago, if you want to look through that thread it has a lot of work done and shows a rough idea of quality of picks

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/how-effective-is-each-draft-pick-from-2000-2009.1038144/

the way to get a real value of individual picks is to get 20 years of data, assign a quality to each player picked (1-3 in quality Champion/Good/Dud) then you will have a rough idea of the value, the data will obviously be corrupted by Father/Son, Zone picks and Ex AFL-Players, but you can approximate where they would have fallen or take them out of the equation, which would hurt the all-round number of high quality players potentially...

any way thats a lot of work, i posted a bunch of data i collected from 2000-2009 drafts a few years ago, if you want to look through that thread it has a lot of work done and shows a rough idea of quality of picks

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/how-effective-is-each-draft-pick-from-2000-2009.1038144/
I personally don't feel a need to reinvent the wheel. The league has more access to data than I do and came up with the system it has based on that data and it's own agenda, as described in the document that prescribes the draft pick point values that we currently use. I can duplicate the spreadsheet and change the values relatively easily if you have something you want to try, but the project you're suggesting would take a fairly significant chunk of time which I don't have, and would be fairly fallible even when complete in any case.

edit: I missed the last part of your post. Would you start with 3000 points and then assign picks in each range with the associated percentage of 3000? So 86% of 3000 for the top 5, etc.

Last edited:
these tables would be great if Draft Picks held the type of value a lot of clubs place on them during trade week, too bad they dont
I think a review on pick/player value is getting into a whole other area of discussion
There might be worth in it, but I'm not sure here is the right place for it

The Cats take Barlow as a delisted free agent. Battle comes in at Pick 24, Walker at 38.

Our Team

FB: Thurlow - Lonergan - Henderson
HB: Walker - Taylor - Thuoy
C: Menengola - J.Selwood - S.Selwood
HF: Motlop - Stanley - Barlow
F: Battle - Hawkins - Menzel
R: Smith - Dangerfield - Guthrie
I: Cockatoo - Blicavs - McCarthy - Duncan

Bews in for the teams with small dangerous forwards, Ruggles the same, Mackie, Kolo, Lang, Black can come in

Set for 2017 here we come

Can anyone direct me to a site that shows the current situation for the 2017 draft? i.e., Hawthorn not in the lst round, Saints not in the second etc.?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks to Fly for their spreadsheet. If anybody is curious it can be found here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...latest-rumour.1042055/page-1142#post-44056696
Spreadsheet updated to reflect list sizes and available picks for each club. Should match the information given on the AFL website. :)

Great work mate.
Interesting to see the points value of drafts picks clubs have.
Gold Coast and GWS still have the best two hands to play with in this coming deck.
GWS in particular got a hidden very early pick in there with the bidding loopholes they can still exploit. They are working the system to their advantage to a treat whilst it still lasts.

Fly

Just noticed your "After Discount" column on the "Draft Order" tab is incorrect.

Every pick from 18 and later has a straight 197 point discount, not a 20% discount (well, it's the same for 18 but anyway...). At the moment you're only applying that rule from 38 for some reason.

Fly

Just noticed your "After Discount" column on the "Draft Order" tab is incorrect.

Every pick from 18 and later has a straight 197 point discount, not a 20% discount (well, it's the same for 18 but anyway...). At the moment you're only applying that rule from 38 for some reason.
Ah no worries. I'll fix it when I get to a computer, something must've messed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back