2016 Non Crows AFL Discussion thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxtel had the rights to virtually every EPL game and now Optus does. I don't think a FTA station could do that for monetary reasons as well as not having the space for it all. Channel 7 saves their big bucks for AFL and the Olympics. SBS for World Cup. Channel 9 for rugby and cricket. Channel 10, lol channel 10.

It's not that it wouldn't rate or it won't make money. It's that they can't do it.

Plus, like someone else said. Soccer and ad breaks every 5 minutes wouldn't jive.

There is also that pesky little requirement in law that they have to have a certain percentage of australian content, which showing a US or UK sport would mean they would have to drop off one of their prime time US shows that draws in a lot more ratings overall for them, meaning more ad money, which is how commerical stations make their money. Looking at your example above for Channel 7 - AFL - australian content, Olympics - also classified as Australian content because of their own 'shows' they turn into Olympic shows at the time, and the use of Australian commentators covers them as Australian content.

No they didn't.

Foxtel have not had a substantial drop in subscriptions after losing EPL.

It was not worth paying for.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
They did still want it.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-optus-stole-the-english-premier-league-from-foxtel-2016-5

Three players were believed to be serious contenders in the Australian auction – Optus, Foxtel and the Al Jazeera-owned BeIN SPORTS. Foxtel and BeIN were expected. Optus was a complete wildcard.

It’s not known how much BeIN offered, but it was less than Foxtel, which is believed to have been only a fraction more than the $US45 million it paid for the previous 3 seasons of EPL rights. This means Optus outbid Foxtel by as much as $US100 million and the EPL laughed all the way to the bank. It’s also more than both the Super Rugby and A-League rights.

There is also that pesky little requirement in law that they have to have a certain percentage of australian content, which showing a US or UK sport would mean they would have to drop off one of their prime time US shows that draws in a lot more ratings overall for them, meaning more ad money, which is how commerical stations make their money. Looking at your example above for Channel 7 - AFL - australian content, Olympics - also classified as Australian content because of their own 'shows' they turn into Olympic shows at the time, and the use of Australian commentators covers them as Australian content.
Not that I think English Premiere League would rate but US shows don't rate anymore these days on fta TV either.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

No they didn't.

Foxtel have not had a substantial drop in subscriptions after losing EPL.

It was not worth paying for.

EPL apparently was a blind bid process.

Foxtel had no idea what Optus was bidding, Foxtel were paying around 25 million a season for the EPL rights and Optus blew them out of the water by bidding 50 million a year.

Rumours are that it's been a monumental failure, Optus mobile subscribers are down and their broadband internet base has only grown by about 10,000. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Optus on-sell the live TV rights to Foxtel from next year in the hope of recouping some of their money back.

Last edited:
Instead of wasting our time and energy in helping Ben Cousins maybe we should be helping the family this selfish little pr*ck is intent on destroying.
Why is the Afl helping him?
I feel sorry for the guy as it was West Coasts drug culture that got him into this mess but if anybody should be bailing him out it should be the players association.

If a Fringe player lost everything to drugs the Afl wouldn't be lending a dollar.

Even crazier thing is if Ben does one day fix himself up he'll have a well paying job doing whatever he likes whether it be commentating, coaching the industry will be lining up and he won't be paying the Afl back one cent.

Yep, that's one of the reasons why I said they don't have the space for it. They're not going to ditch The Big Bang Theory for a sport that broadcasts between 11pm - 3am.

Even English soccer, which I don't care for, would be better than most of the fluff and filler which is on Australian TV. Today Tonight and ACA which are about nothing, people cooking various dishes and being bitchy about it, various singers that don't sing quite as well as professional singers, sitcoms that aren't funny ... yawn. Youtube, Bigfooty and movies are much more entertaining.

I feel sorry for the guy as it was West Coasts drug culture that got him into this mess but if anybody should be bailing him out it should be the players association.

If a Fringe player lost everything to drugs the Afl wouldn't be lending a dollar.

Even crazier thing is if Ben does one day fix himself up he'll have a well paying job doing whatever he likes whether it be commentating, coaching the industry will be lining up and he won't be paying the Afl back one cent.

I'd suggest it's a scenario that they wont have to worry too much about ever happening

Posting this on all clubs :
I dont want to start a gender war,
but just inviting BF female users to join a
thread to discuss anything and every thing.
Men are of course are not banned,
but the world is a mans world
Sorry not meaning to offend anyone ,
just wanted to advise of a new thread any of your female members
may be interested in so just offering an option for those who are interested
link in forums :)
There is already a female forum.

No, illegally downloading is not particularly moral.

To answer your original question, I think concert tickets aren't really worth the money. There are no artists I'm an enormous fan of, and when I hear that the life of a singer is tiring, I don't have any sympathy given just how wealthy celebrity artists are. I think the cinema is relatively reasonably priced, but the footy is starting to push the limits of reasonableness. If I want to get a good seat for a game not covered by my bronze membership, $60 per seat is a bit steep. $15 for a cinema ticket to see (rather wealthy) actors just seems more reasonable.
The majority of muso's work their arses off for little reward. People ripping their music off is completely immoral ("not particularly moral" is like being a "little bit pregnant"). Sure the top whatever % are making squillions and it won't hurt them, but the majority are not. No different to ripping movies. While you might think "oh the stars don't need it" but what about all the extras that are in or work on that movie? You are ripping them off too.

I don't get this argument of setting them up for life just because they may only play for 3-5 years (or any period in the system). They effectively weren't successful at their job at that level, time to move on and get a real job. They get a great wage compared to any other school leaver with next to no cost of living expense plus the club help fund their education. They are miles ahead of the average school leaver even if they are on bottom AFL salary. Obviously those in the system longer are further ahead. Why do they need to be setup for life? I really don't get that side of there argument..

Not saying I don't think they're not entitled to more in general, I just don't understand this setting them up for life argument that I've heard s few times.
Exactly. When the job's over, get another job. Millions of Australians change career paths and jobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue with the players making money.

The issue I have is seeing clubs die and junior footy go unfunded. I find the way this current group of players demanding more to be selfish as it is the grassroots clubs and junior leagues that got them into the game.

When a band or actor makes a lot if money it is generally not at the expense of the development of their industry.

My personal view on the article on participation rate for soccer is quite simply it's an easy game to play without little experience, safe and you can have fun. That equates to a large participation rate. But is it an attractive exciting game to watch? No it's boring. Absolutely boring. Most memorable games i watched. One international game where I ended up falling asleep on the couch with 10 mins to go and scores nil all. Woke up just after it finished and scores were 3-2 all scored in last 5-10 minutes. Really not a great product to watch as an entertainment. I believe that's why it won't overtake AFL in Aus because we want to be entertained. It's a boring product.

The majority of muso's work their arses off for little reward. People ripping their music off is completely immoral ("not particularly moral" is like being a "little bit pregnant"). Sure the top whatever % are making squillions and it won't hurt them, but the majority are not. No different to ripping movies. While you might think "oh the stars don't need it" but what about all the extras that are in or work on that movie? You are ripping them off too.
Fair points

I dont think you can blame WCs "Drug culture" as Ive heard from some West Coast gangsters that he was one of the founding fathers of said culture and perpetuated its existence.

Others yes maybe(if you want an excuse)but little Benny was in trouble long before he wore the Blue and Gold.

Its self indulging little turds like Benny that give Drugs a bad name. The substance doesnt do this alone, you need this as part of your personality to begin with. Id suggest that if illigal narcotics were unavailable it would be alcohol,gambling,womanising,thuggery or any other vise that is considered unacceptable by society.

My personal view on the article on participation rate for soccer is quite simply it's an easy game to play without little experience, safe and you can have fun. That equates to a large participation rate. But is it an attractive exciting game to watch? No it's boring. Absolutely boring. Most memorable games i watched. One international game where I ended up falling asleep on the couch with 10 mins to go and scores nil all. Woke up just after it finished and scores were 3-2 all scored in last 5-10 minutes. Really not a great product to watch as an entertainment. I believe that's why it won't overtake AFL in Aus because we want to be entertained. It's a boring product.
I've watched an Adelaide United game at a bar with some hardcore fans, and that was fun - mainly the conversation, not the game. I was incredibly happy when the Reds won the title this year ... but that doesn't make me willing to sit through a soccer game. Even bad Aussie rules games (Ross Lyon-fests and mismatches) bore me to tears.

It really isn't, but that's your opinion

The substance doesnt do this alone, you need this as part of your personality to begin with. Id suggest that if illigal narcotics were unavailable it would be alcohol,gambling,womanising,thuggery or any other vise that is considered unacceptable by society.
Correct. I have an addictive personality. Alcohol, Food, Sport, Work, Womanising, Gambling, Internet Forums, etc etc.. Each time I take control of one, another raises its head. As I have aged some of those have minimized, others I have had to have counselling for. It was my ex who pointed most of these out as destructive behaviours that caused a marriage to end. I just thought I was charging ahead with life as fully as I could. Without thought or consequence to myself or others.

To each their own. Personally, almost nothing can match the hearstopping last few minutes of a World Cup finals match or similar. The World collectively holding it's breath as it goes down to the wire. Some of my best memories in sports.

Crows in a GF is the same feeling.

Correct. I have an addictive personality. Alcohol, Food, Sport, Work, Womanising, Gambling, Internet Forums, etc etc.. Each time I take control of one, another raises its head. As I have aged some of those have minimized, others I have had to have counselling for. It was my ex who pointed most of these out as destructive behaviours that caused a marriage to end. I just thought I was charging ahead with life as fully as I could. Without thought or consequence to myself or others.

Geez thats familiar.
We should catch up,talk shop and party some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back