2016 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Cont. in Part 2 (link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cornes needs to be super controversial to stay relevant. The ramblings of a mad man.
It's had the opposite effect making him irrelevant!

I have basically switched off listening or reading him as rarely adds any value.

I don't think a send off rule would work at AFL level. Using Jonas's cheap shot on Gaff for example, the Umpire didn't even report Jonas at the time so how is he supposed to send him off. If the AFL decided to make all reports a send off offence then will umpires simply become too afraid to report anyone at the risk of a report being thrown out. If the premise is that a dog act that removes an opposition player from the game in the case of Jonas, at what stage do the umpires kick Jonas out of the game. Is it when Gaff goes off by the stretcher, what if he returns 10 minutes later? I just feel this just adds more pressure to an umpiring department that can't even interpret the rules and umpire a game of AFL well enough to make this work. I just think umpires will be too gutless to make a call on this on the basis they could get it wrong. Plus once this door is open what next, send off for back chatting gutless umpires.
3rd Umpire still makes mistakes on goal decisions .....so we trust this person to send a person off correctly in a Grand Final ......it's an interesting talking point, but that's all

Unfortunately there's a gaping void of a decent daily sports show on radio in Adelaide that doesn't involve a moronic aspect, inane predeterminated petty topics to get listeners to ring up and lacks some resemblance of a rational discussion and honest interviews. IMHO the AFL are a big part of the problem here as they will swoop on any dissent or criticism and threaten the removal of media passes or broadcast rights.
As Kern would say, you get what you deserve.
SEN and 3AW have their moments of good discussion and reasoned arguments but that's all I've found.

The only even vaguely acceptable way to handle sending off players is to have a team of people make the decision in a separate "bunker" (using video replays and discussions with the umpires if needed) as they do in some American sports.

It absolutely must be taken out of the hands of the umpires on the field and at the game.

Quite a few Paps defending Jonas for the Dangerfield hit after the siren as well. Put up a video to show them how late after the siren Jonas decided to crash into the contest with his knees and it was immediately deleted. DPRK working wonders over there.

IMHO the AFL are a big part of the problem here as they will swoop on any dissent or criticism and threaten the removal of media passes or broadcast rights.

This is why i liked Grant Thomas on Footy Confidential or Classified or whatever.

He gave absolutely zero *s what the AFL thought of what he said. I didn't always agree with him, but at least he never toed the party line.

Quite a few Paps defending Jonas for the Dangerfield hit after the siren as well. Put up a video to show them how late after the siren Jonas decided to crash into the contest with his knees and it was immediately deleted. DPRK working wonders over there.
Your lucky you didnt get suspended like i did. All i said was milera had more talent in his little finger than hamish hartlett.. This was in relation to one of their moronic posters trade proposals of milera and our first for hatlett

screen_shot_2016-05-23_at_1.01.54_pm.png

screen_shot_2016-05-23_at_1.02.09_pm.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your lucky you didnt get suspended like i did. All i said was milera had more talent in his little finger than hamish hartlett.. This was in relation to one of their moronic posters trade proposals of milera and our first for hatlett
I got my like powers taken off me because I liked a post that a PAPer made that basically said he thought our list was better.
I also got a ban for saying "you would have to be crazy to think the SANFL are trying to destroy Port Adelaide" and the reason given was "for calling Port supporters crazy"
They, just like their team, are a timid bunch.

Good to see North doing the right thing in regards to Turner's suspension. 4 weeks once he is available for senior selection:

"What we'll do is wait until he is fully rehabbed before his penalty does start to apply … from that point on, he won't be available for senior selection for the next four matches – he'll play with Werribee at the time."

That is in stark contrast to what the Power did with Krakouer.

Good to see North doing the right thing in regards to Turner's suspension. 4 weeks once he is available for senior selection:

"What we'll do is wait until he is fully rehabbed before his penalty does start to apply … from that point on, he won't be available for senior selection for the next four matches – he'll play with Werribee at the time."

Yes I noticed that as well…Port's was simply a charade, no penalty at all.

What incidents this century would actually have warranted a send-off though?

Barry Hall is probably the only one.
822011-mark-bickley.jpg

This one would have been close. But still no send off for mine. With that said we didnt know the impact till days after.

I agree its a great decision. Im a bit cynical though in that I wonder if it was a key player what they would have done?

Like Hodge last year with the Hawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back