2016 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Cont. in Part 2 (link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No he meant it in the context that he thinks only athletes play football now and regular people have no chance.
No, he meant it because Gary Ablett Snr had discipline issues early in his career, drifted away from the game and had to be talked back into playing. He'd be flicked now at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised one bit if he didn't have aspergers.
I have Aspergers, and I don't go around acting and talking like that. I know it affects sufferers differently, but there's a pretty big gap between him and me, and not just in terms of football talent (or lack thereof in my case).

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

So article from Jay Clarke today saying the Bulldogs are pressuring Boyd to take a paycut so they can afford to go after someone like Michael Hurley. They're claiming it's to "Take the pressure off him" and bond himself to the team better. What a crock, offer him a stupid deal and then ask him to give money back because it's screwed up any potential you have to further recruit.

So article from Jay Clarke today saying the Bulldogs are pressuring Boyd to take a paycut so they can afford to go after someone like Michael Hurley. They're claiming it's to "Take the pressure off him" and bond himself to the team better. What a crock, offer him a stupid deal and then ask him to give money back because it's screwed up any potential you have to further recruit.

This is the most important bit. Imagine you are coming up to free agency and your manager says the Bullies are looking to give you a significant increase , the first thing I'm asking my manager is it bullet-proof. Might have a few knockbacks

He should tell them to get stuffed! What disgusting behaviour from Beveridge! ;)
Let's face it: he wouldn't get anywhere near what he is now elsewhere. The Bullies should just play him each week and tell him to perform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the Jacko interview, even though he purely articulated it he has a few good points.

Footy is struggling outside if "AFL focus" areas. We see it in our state , particularly in the country areas. Bugger all funding for grass roots footy.

The AFL is a "company game". Everything is homogeneous. Most players drafted all go through the same "factory" and learn the same skill sets. Most clubs play a similar style with slight variations. The media all have similar opinions and are not too harsh and any "scandal" is well controlled by the AFL. No doubt Eddie will make another comment and we will all be offended but he will keep his job......

Mike Sheeran was a ruthless reporter in the 80s. As was Caro and even Eddie McGuire. Have a look on YouTube for vision of Locket throwing his crutches at a young Eddie McGuire chasing a story. Mike Sheeran did write a lot off stories players back then would not have liked. The league did not control the media then. Mike was not the "teddy bear" he is now.

The game has become more athletic and the average kid will struggle more to get into the AFL. Wait till more Sudanese kids take up the sport and grow up with it, as Alir has. This will take it to another level.

One if the biggest "problems" with our game is lack of structure in regard to player positioning and markings on the ground. It is basicly 22 blokes on a field trying to get a ball and kick it through two big sticks. There are no real rules as to what each guy can and can't do it where they need to stand. The game has evolved from the game it was 30 years ago because if this. As it will in the next 30 years.

He admits he was selfish and his team mates were too. I guess that is the reason he always played for scrubber teams. He was correct in saying Lockett had to get out of St Kilda. Barassi obviously wanted more professionalism which is probably why Jacko seemed annoyed with him. Barassi took Melbourne from a joke to a Grand Finalist in the 80s.

I would love to have heard more about how he left Geelong and if Blight had anything to do with it? Afterall Blight cleaned out the dead wood and trouble makers at our club before coaching his first game.
Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So some Crows fans are travelling around the world passing on the message that everyone hates Port Adelaide. Have they been to China yet?
They'd probably get arrested over there.

I reckon there's another one but I can't find it

Did Matthew Pavlich tarnish his legacy somewhat with his superman capes/wharfie time pre-match address?

No
It's the only
weird thing he's done in 350 games
Exemplary player and a nice fella too apparently

Wish we'd got him back - a CHF in the Craig years would have made a huge difference

The game has become more athletic and the average kid will struggle more to get into the AFL. Wait till more Sudanese kids take up the sport and grow up with it, as Alir has. This will take it to another level.

One if the biggest "problems" with our game is lack of structure in regard to player positioning and markings on the ground. It is basicly 22 blokes on a field trying to get a ball and kick it through two big sticks. There are no real rules as to what each guy can and can't do it where they need to stand. The game has evolved from the game it was 30 years ago because if this. As it will in the next 30 years.

He admits he was selfish and his team mates were too. I guess that is the reason he always played for scrubber teams. He was correct in saying Lockett had to get out of St Kilda. Barassi obviously wanted more professionalism which is probably why Jacko seemed annoyed with him. Barassi took Melbourne from a joke to a Grand Finalist in the 80s.
I liked his discussion on the horseshoe work forwards had to do and the ''little flick back Mike , just a little unngh '' . Like many he came to our club for a training run and he knew the simple things that make that small difference.

I have heard many tales of South Australians being terrorized at training when they went over. '' ya not taking my spot unless ya earn it pal'' whack

I liked his discussion on the horseshoe work forwards had to do and the ''little flick back Mike , just a little unngh '' . Like many he came to our club for a training run and he knew the simple things that make that small difference.

I have heard many tales of South Australians being terrorized at training when they went over. '' ya not taking my spot unless ya earn it pal'' whack
It's not the first time I have heard non Vic players copping it over there.

Our guys got good coin to play over there and there was bit of animosity towards them. Especially when you consider most VFL clubs were broke.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I just had a look at the Port board, and there's a thread called 'The anti-Portress'. The OP reads:

'Just want to point out the obvious.

We do not play Adelaide Oval well. It is too narrow to suit our strengths. Far better football minds can analyse why, but our record at AO since mid 2014 (second Showdown to be precise) is very ordinary.

This year we have surrendered halfway through arm wrestles against GWS, Bulldogs, Eagles and Hawks. We have not taken advantage of a passionate crowd in our favour and we have not used the ground at all to our benefit.

Is it just reflective of how poor we are in general, or is there more to it?'

Another said that they had to drag their family to the game on Sunday. Claims that they'll still show up for the next game. Another says: 'Do we play any oval well?' Another says: '**** we can winge.'

So I had a look at their record at AO since the first bounce of the Showdown on 29/6/2014. It's 14 wins, 14 losses. Remember when Port were thought to be unbeatable at the Oval? LOL.

So I had a look at their record at AO since the first bounce of the Showdown on 29/6/2014. It's 14 wins, 14 losses. Remember when Port were thought to be unbeatable at the Oval? LOL.

We need to keep calling it Adelaide Oval or AO for short, Rucci is pushing The Oval tag for obvious reasons.

I _hate_ it when people call it "The Oval".

This is The Oval:

View attachment 269975

This is Adelaide Oval:

View attachment 269976
Fair point. I never thought about it - I live in Adelaide so I sometimes refer to it as 'the Oval' because it's simply the major oval of this city. In daily conversation I always refer to the team as 'the Crows' to distinguish it from the city itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back