2016 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't work for NASA, I'm just a really boring person.

On long country drives I try and keep my mind active by working out how fast the car in front of me is going if I am at a constant speed (Which I know) and how far away they are (which I guess), the amount of gap I close on them over time tells me how fast they are going/how much slower than me.

FWIW as a half Australian, half Pom I wish Darling would cut out the simulation like I'm sure you all do. My point was though that Latino culture has a different view on it-hence why those antics are most commonly practised by Latino players. They would see Darlings antics as simply doing anything to gain an advantage and Selwood and Shuey's ducking would be lauded as a cunning skill.

As for the women, well it's certainly not as common as it is the men's game, if you watch enough of it you'll see that they do. Its not as common because:

1) Womens football doesn't have the history of the men's game so it hasn't really crept it. Countries such as the USA, Germany and Japan have been really strong in the women's game and these countries share our views on diving antics.
2) Not intending to sound disrespectful to the women but there isn't as much at stake for them. A country would much rather the men's team win the World Cup-that's just a fact of life. Then you've got all the money and endorsement deals that the men receive. With more expectation and bonuses comes a greater desire to "do whatever it takes". Hence simulation.
3) If you watch enough of the women's game it is less physical so there is less opportunity to dive after physical contact.
4) A few women soccer players have stated that they want to establish their own identity and differentiate themselves from the men by avoiding these kind of tactics.

I wish more of the men would agree to do this as well but as I explained because of the cultural difference, it's not going to happen.

There's plenty of opportunity for simulation in the women's game, but even appeals to the ref when a player thinks they've been fouled are rare. The crowding and the prolonged arguments with the ref after a decision has been made - another blight on the men's game, just doesn't happen.

Try telling those girls who wanted to win a medal at the Olympics that there is less at stake for them. I watch enough Women's soccer to know that if people want Australia to win a World Cup, then they should follow the Matildas, as they have the talent to win one in the next decade. There's already a couple of players in the Matildas that would make a World best side.

Individually, the men are better players than the women, but it comes to a point in high level competition - and this goes for a lot of sports, where the teams and tactics nullify each other and the play becomes paralysed. There was an FA Cup final between Man United and Chelsea about a decade ago where the two teams spent the entirety of the first 45 minutes passing it sideways and backwards, mostly in their own half.

The higher standard, doesn't neccessary produce the better spectacle. Compare the 2010 AFL Grand Final vs the 2010 WAFL Grand Final. Collingwood and St Kilda were the best two teams in the country that year and pitted themselves in a low scoring draw, void of many highlights apart from tackling and smothering, and Goddard's mark late in the game - whereas the lesser paid, lower standard players that represented Swan Districts vs Claremont in the WAFL Grand Final put on a classic spectacle, full of attacking play, completed in the dying minutes when the star of the game was able to seal it for his team with the final goal of the game.

I certainly prefer to watch the women's game than the overpaid hacks in the EPL. A few years ago, Channel 10 broadcast a season of the Bundeslegia which was so far and above the EPL in terms of quality of play, strength of competition from top team to bottom team, and fanatical crowd support, that you understand why the Poms can't win anything bar the occasional big money club who makes it through to the Euros because they can afford a team of almost exclusively overseas players. Thanks for inventing the rules though.

Anyways, interesting as your explanation was, I'm not sold on the idea that Latin players have a cultural disposition to dive more often than players from other cultures, and that their fans would accept it easier as part of the tactics of game if it occurred against them. I imagine they'd bleat hard and long as any other nations fans would. The French player, Pierre-Henri, did much the same thing as Maradona with the hand ball goal (I'm assuming that's the example you want to remind us of when you bring up his name), which was like 30 years ago. Like you said, its always gone on.

Doesn't that incident still fester in the minds of the English more so because losing to Argentina was such an affront to national pride at the time. It wasn't that long after you'd beaten the Argies up over the Falkland Islands, and Maradona really rubbed it in how rubbish the English team was when he was able to follow it up by taking the ball from his own half and into the penalty box to score, burning off about 5 hapless English defenders along the way without looking like breaking out of a light canter.

On long country drives I try and keep my mind active by working out how fast the car in front of me is going if I am at a constant speed (Which I know) and how far away they are (which I guess), the amount of gap I close on them over time tells me how fast they are going/how much slower than me.
I do something similar with cars going the other way for calculating distance. Working out the time from when I first see them to when we pass one another to give me a heads up on how long I've got on average when overtaking but also to know the distance they are away when first spotted assuming an equal and opposite speed - becomes interesting at night when you can spot headlights a long way out to figure out visibility

There are so many Fwits around these days, especially on the road. Speechless...
Just drove the 300k back to the SW from the Northern suburbs of Perth via Freo and I think the crack consumption of drivers in WA is on the up.
all round knobheadedness from all parties.
Knob-cam takes the cake there!
to give me a heads up on how long I've got on average when overtaking
Figures sound deadly.

Some of the worst divers/simulators both current and historic are British. Doesn't fit the racist's stereotypical narrative though :rolleyes:

48990199.jpg

What gets me is when I'm leaving my cave of solitude to meet friends somewhere way too loud and crowded and five minutes into the drive my phone beeps in my bag and I spend the whole time driving there worried it was them saying that they will be late.

And then its exactly what they said and I have to wait by the bar my myself :/

Ah yes, that glorious feeling as you effortlessly breeze past them and that bemused look on their faces as you yell out "you're doing 150" as you move serenely ahead...then they flick on their flashing blue lights and siren.

Ah yes, that glorious feeling as you effortlessly breeze past them and that bemused look on their faces as you yell out "you're doing 150" as you move serenely ahead...then they flick on their flashing blue lights and siren.
And they yell back "it's a cardigan but thanks for noticing!" So you laugh and let them go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What gets me is when I'm leaving my cave of solitude to meet friends somewhere way too loud and crowded and five minutes into the drive my phone beeps in my bag and I spend the whole time driving there worried it was them saying that they will be late.

And then its exactly what they said and I have to wait by the bar my myself :/

Yep I get that. So I have pulled over if safe to check. I only go out to gigs and I usually know others so it's not a problem if mates are lateish.

I am not too sure about that :(

He said divers, not drivers! ;)

Asian lady nearly cleaned me up on the road behind Swansea St markets the other day. She pulled left out of a driveway, only checked her side of the road, but then proceeded to swing out in a huge arc taking up the entire street. Would've been a head on if I hadn't slammed on the brakes so hard all my shopping came flying into the front from the backseat. I had to pull over and repack everything, wasn't impressed.

He said divers, not drivers! ;)

Asian lady nearly cleaned me up on the road behind Swansea St markets the other day. She pulled left out of a driveway, only checked her side of the road, but then proceeded to swing out in a huge arc taking up the entire street. Would've been a head on if I hadn't slammed on the brakes so hard all my shopping came flying into the front from the backseat. I had to pull over and repack everything, wasn't impressed.

Nico Rosberg retires world champion. Didn't see that coming. Be interesting to see who takes the seat next year. Guess old Hamilton will escape any penalty for ignoring team orders now. Can't piss off your only driver haha.

There's plenty of opportunity for simulation in the women's game, but even appeals to the ref when a player thinks they've been fouled are rare. The crowding and the prolonged arguments with the ref after a decision has been made - another blight on the men's game, just doesn't happen.

Try telling those girls who wanted to win a medal at the Olympics that there is less at stake for them. I watch enough Women's soccer to know that if people want Australia to win a World Cup, then they should follow the Matildas, as they have the talent to win one in the next decade. There's already a couple of players in the Matildas that would make a World best side.

Individually, the men are better players than the women, but it comes to a point in high level competition - and this goes for a lot of sports, where the teams and tactics nullify each other and the play becomes paralysed. There was an FA Cup final between Man United and Chelsea about a decade ago where the two teams spent the entirety of the first 45 minutes passing it sideways and backwards, mostly in their own half.

The higher standard, doesn't neccessary produce the better spectacle. Compare the 2010 AFL Grand Final vs the 2010 WAFL Grand Final. Collingwood and St Kilda were the best two teams in the country that year and pitted themselves in a low scoring draw, void of many highlights apart from tackling and smothering, and Goddard's mark late in the game - whereas the lesser paid, lower standard players that represented Swan Districts vs Claremont in the WAFL Grand Final put on a classic spectacle, full of attacking play, completed in the dying minutes when the star of the game was able to seal it for his team with the final goal of the game.

I certainly prefer to watch the women's game than the overpaid hacks in the EPL. A few years ago, Channel 10 broadcast a season of the Bundeslegia which was so far and above the EPL in terms of quality of play, strength of competition from top team to bottom team, and fanatical crowd support, that you understand why the Poms can't win anything bar the occasional big money club who makes it through to the Euros because they can afford a team of almost exclusively overseas players. Thanks for inventing the rules though.

Anyways, interesting as your explanation was, I'm not sold on the idea that Latin players have a cultural disposition to dive more often than players from other cultures, and that their fans would accept it easier as part of the tactics of game if it occurred against them. I imagine they'd bleat hard and long as any other nations fans would. The French player, Pierre-Henri, did much the same thing as Maradona with the hand ball goal (I'm assuming that's the example you want to remind us of when you bring up his name), which was like 30 years ago. Like you said, its always gone on.

Doesn't that incident still fester in the minds of the English more so because losing to Argentina was such an affront to national pride at the time. It wasn't that long after you'd beaten the Argies up over the Falkland Islands, and Maradona really rubbed it in how rubbish the English team was when he was able to follow it up by taking the ball from his own half and into the penalty box to score, burning off about 5 hapless English defenders along the way without looking like breaking out of a light canter.

Yeah the Bundaslegia is a helluva league and the fans are amazing - the yellow wall at Dortmund is incredible. And over in Poland the Legia Warsaw fans are insane - absolute scenes when they played in the champions league earlier this year. And I agree about Latin players and diving - they just cop the stereotype when it's really players of all nations that try and do anything to win - and when one goal can make a difference, why wouldn't you? In Aussie Rules a goal doesn't mean as much, but in grand finals players will do all they can to win - same as in the EPL or in a world cup match etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back