News 2016 official Geelong list and guernsey number changes (14 October)

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again I'll be tracking the official changes to the list across the off-season.

Please keep this thread for official announcements and updates only and keep speculation to other threads.

Previous years:
2010 list changes
2011 list changes
2012 list changes
2013 list changes
2014 list changes
2015 list changes

Official 2015 list
1 Rhys Stanley
2 Billie Smedts
3 Jimmy Bartel
4 Andrew Mackie
5 Nakia Cockatoo
6 Lincoln McCarthy
7 Harry Taylor
8 Jake Kolodjashnij
9 James Kelly - retired/delisted (2 September)
10 Daniel Menzel
11 Darcy Lang
12 Sam Blease - retired (31 August)
13 Tom Lonergan
14 Joel Selwood
15 Dean Gore - traded to Adelaide with National Draft selection nos. 9 and 28 in exchange for Patrick Dangerfield and National Draft selection no. 50 (12 October)
16 Dawson Simpson - UFA left for GWS Giants (15 October)
17 Hamish McIntosh - retired (29 July)

18 Josh Cowan
19 Mitch Clark
20 Steve Johnson - retired/delisted (4 September)
21 Jordan Murdoch
22 Mitchell Duncan
23 Josh Caddy
24 Jed Bews
25 Jared Rivers - retired (24 August)
26 Tom Hawkins
27 Mathew Stokes - retired/delisted (1 September)
28 Cory Gregson
29 Cameron Guthrie
30 Nathan Vardy
31 Jordan Cunico
32 Steven Motlop
33 George Horlin-Smith
34 Joshua Walker -traded to Brisbane Lions for 1/2 a future 3rd Round pick (19 October)
35 Jarrad Jansen - traded to Brisbane Lions for 1/2 a future 3rd Round pick (19 October)
36 Bradley Hartman - retired (1 May)

37 Michael Luxford
38 Tom Read

39 Shane Kersten
40 Jackson Thurlow
41 James Toohey - retired (14 May)
42 Padraig Lucey
43 Zac Bates

44 Corey Enright
45 Cameron Delaney
46 Mark Blicavs

Unofficial 2016 list (at 26 November 2015)
1 Rhys Stanley
2 Billie Smedts
3 Jimmy Bartel
4 Andrew Mackie
5 Nakia Cockatoo
6 Lincoln McCarthy
7 Harry Taylor
8 Jake Kolodjashnij
10 Daniel Menzel
11 Darcy Lang
13 Tom Lonergan
14 Joel Selwood
16 Scott Selwood
18 Josh Cowan
19 Mitch Clark
21 Jordan Murdoch
22 Mitchell Duncan
23 Josh Caddy
24 Jed Bews
26 Tom Hawkins
28 Cory Gregson
29 Cameron Guthrie
30 Nathan Vardy
31 Jordan Cunico
32 Steven Motlop
33 George Horlin-Smith
35 Patrick Dangerfield - traded from Adelaide with National Draft selection no. 50 in exchange for National Draft selection nos. 9 and 28 and Dean Gore (12 October)
37 Michael Luxford
38 Tom Read
39 Shane Kersten
40 Jackson Thurlow
42 Padraig Lucey
43 Zac Bates

44 Corey Enright
45 Cameron Delaney
46 Mark Blicavs

Scott Selwood - signed with Geelong as a restricted free agent after West Coast elected to not match Geelong's offer (12 October)
Lachie Henderson - traded from Carlton in exchange for 2016 round one National Draft selection (14 October)
Zac Smith - traded from Gold Coast Suns in exchange National Draft selection nos. 49 and 53 (19 October)

Legend
Retired player
Delisted player
Free agent
National, Preseason or Rookie Draft selection
Traded player
Rookie elevation
Guernsey number change

Rookie-listed player

Summary
Incoming

Senior list
Patrick Dangerfield
Scott Selwood
Lachie Henderson
Zac Smith

Pick 59 Ryan Gardner
Pick 66 Sam Menegola
Pick 69 Wiley Buzza
Pick 70 Matthew Hayball

Rookie List

Pick#9 Jock Cornell
Pick #27 James Parsons

Pick #44 Tom Ruggles

Outgoing
Senior list
Sam Blease
Hamish McIntosh
Jared Rivers
Bradley Hartman
Mathew Stokes
James Kelly
Steve Johnson
Dean Gore
Dawson Simpson
Josh Walker
Jarrad Jansen

Rookie list
James Toohey

Updated Nov 26 2015 dazbroncos

Last edited by a moderator:

Random thought.... I wonder if Jed will be swapping numbers to take his old mans 27 now that Stoker has vacated it

I'm doubtful he will swap - I actually remember reading how he has previously declined the #27 when offered by Stokes, so things may have changed since then but I wouldn't be surprised he is still determined to make the #24 his own:

Wednesday, 30 November 2011
Jed Bews, son of former Cat Andrew, declined an offer by Matthew Stokes to wear the number his father sported during his decorated career.
"When we went to Falls Creek [for a pre-season training camp] he pulled me aside and said, 'If you want it, it's yours'," Bews said.
"It was definitely tempting. But I said to him, 'Nah, it's all right. It's your premiership jumper and it probably means more to you. I thought it was better to get a new number and make it my own."

The thing I most love about that story, is that it appears that is something Stoke initiated on his own, did it quietly without fuss and I think he would have been genuine in giving up the number to Jed if that is what Jed wanted.

List updated for Dawson Simpson departure as a FA.

Go Catters

Last edited:
Patrick Dangerfield - traded from Adelaide with National Draft selection no. 50 in exchange for National Draft selection nos. 9 and 28 and Dean Gore (12 October)
pNhSWJw.jpg

Scott Selwood to wear number 16 gents

Mentioned by Billy on MMM yesterday and then confirmed by Mrs Selwood on air
thanks… had that updated in cats scan threads… will add it here.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be cool if they waited until all four newcomers had chosen a number and did an introductory press conference together NBA style with the new jumpers.

Like this sort of thing...

11253176-large.jpg

It would be cool if they waited until all four newcomers had chosen a number and did an introductory press conference together NBA style with the new jumpers.

Like this sort of thing...

11253176-large.jpg
Hopefully our guys stay longer than English and Middleton did at Detroit.

And Drummond changed his number.

So from what I can tell, following the rookie draft, we've currently got 38 on the main list, 6 on the rookie list and one Cat-B rookie, is that right? So the list is complete for 2016? Unless of course there's a Canadian Curling champion that Wellsy's got his eye on for another Cat-B...

So from what I can tell, following the rookie draft, we've currently got 38 on the main list, 6 on the rookie list and one Cat-B rookie, is that right? So the list is complete for 2016? Unless of course there's a Canadian Curling champion that Wellsy's got his eye on for another Cat-B...

I count 38 main list, 6 Rookies and one B class Rookie.

Yes LawnMosey - you are correct!

GO Catters

As a result of having a primary list of 38, not 40, we would also have the option of upgrading two of those rookies to the senior list before the season starts.

As a result of having a primary list of 38, not 40, we would also have the option of upgrading two of those rookies to the senior list before the season starts.
Not knowing all the ins and outs, could we not keep them as they are and upgrade thru the year on top of the LTI and mid year elevation if needed?

I know it costs $$ then and hopefully it wont be required BUT if their form is just so good……. ( what…I can dream:))

GO Catters

Not knowing all the ins and outs, could we not keep them as they are and upgrade thru the year on top of the LTI and mid year elevation if needed?

I know it costs $$ then and hopefully it wont be required BUT if their form is just so good……. ( what…I can dream:))

GO Catters
Maybe the coaches are used to having a short list after a couple of years littered with LTIs, so they're looking at long term development for the most part. Of our 7 draftees, I would say only Ruggles and Menegola are any sort of chance for 2016. The other 5 seem like the raw but full of talent and potential types that will need two years in the system to really come on.

So, going by previous years' methods it will be:

#9 Ryan Gardner
#20 Sam Menegola
#27 Wylie Buzza
#25 Matt Hayball

GO Catters

According to the CBA, the upgrades I was mentioning have to be done by preseason's end (see below). This CBA covers 2013-2016. I see your point though; We didn't draft a full list for TPP reasons, so why would we upgrade rookies without purpose. That being said, Zac Bates is in his third and last year as a rookie, it's a good chance to possibly give him a taste of AFL football and test his worth.

1. (e) From the commencement of the 2013 AFL Season, an AFL Club is eligible to nominate a Rookie Player as being eligible for senior selection by the date and time nominated by the General Counsel which date shall be at the conclusion of the Pre- Season Competition, and if it otherwise satisfies the requirements of this clause 18 as follows:
    1. (i) if it has 38 Players on its Primary List, it may nominate up to two (2) Nominated Rookies;

So, going by previous years' methods it will be:

#9 Ryan Gardner
#20 Sam Menegola
#27 Wylie Buzza
#25 Matt Hayball
Isn't Lachie Henderson #9?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back