2016 Olympics Boomers

Remove this Banner Ad

Given Simmons ability as a rebounder he can help out a lot though, could get away with it a bit. Also need a C that can stretch the floor if playing Simmons because his current lack of shooting means it gets very cramped if have two non-shooting bigs there. Clear out the opposing big defender though and Simmons should be able to get to the rim at will and if defences collapse on him hit the shooters in Mills, Delly, Exum/Ingles, and Thon. Would be nice.

Defence is the issue though with Thon at C.
Why would defence be an issue with Maker at C? From all reports that is his calling card, and what Milwaukee drafted him for. He's incredibly long and athletic, exactly what you want from a five man. He may not have the smarts of a Bogut, but he could have the length and athletic ability to protect the paint like Gobert. I'm sure by 2020 he'll have gained weight and gotten stronger too, particularly if he's still in the NBA.

In a way yes. But in the past two seasons at key times in the playoffs he made himself a liability to Golden State. Some of it was matchup related, but there were times when they were just far better off going small because he wasn't helping at all.
Ahhhh Golden State were on track to win the finals this year before Bogut got injured, when he was out LeBron just went to the rim at will and destroyed them.

He's certainly limited in matchups but he's still overall a plus defender and important player.

Why would defence be an issue with Maker at C? From all reports that is his calling card, and what Milwaukee drafted him for. He's incredibly long and athletic, exactly what you want from a five man. He may not have the smarts of a Bogut, but he could have the length and athletic ability to protect the paint like Gobert. I'm sure by 2020 he'll have gained weight and gotten stronger too, particularly if he's still in the NBA.
The strength is the issue. Someone like Radlujca from Serbia, Gasol from Spain, Cousins from USA would all physically abuse him.

Ahhhh Golden State were on track to win the finals this year before Bogut got injured, when he was out LeBron just went to the rim at will and destroyed them.

He's certainly limited in matchups but he's still overall a plus defender and important player.
And they were almost eliminated against OKC because OKC's bigs were destroying him. He has a habit of playing some stinkers when they were not needed. He was basically useless when they won the finals last year. Then this year he got injured which was real unlucky. He's just hurts with his lack of reliability.

Simmons isn't a three. He's a PF.

Lineup expect to see is
Delly
Mills
Exum
Simmons
Bogut
The strength is the issue. Someone like Radlujca from Serbia, Gasol from Spain, Cousins from USA would all physically abuse him.
I don't think you can complain about him not being strong enough when you want to play Simmons at the 4 and Exum at three. Exum is basically a twig, and would have a torrid time defending much threes who would be much bigger and stronger than him. Hard to see Simmons being a four either. He's got the size, but his game is far better suited to being a three man. Like I said Maker makes up for his lack of strength with his length and athletic ability. Teams don't exactly exclusively run post ups anymore, so that wouldn't be a concern and he'd be a huge help as a help defender with his tools.

There isn't exactly a prime Shaq out there, so strength isn't a big worry. A lot of bigs these days are far more soft with the way they play offensively. He's got length which is a huge help.

I don't think you can complain about him not being strong enough when you want to play Simmons at the 4 and Exum at three. Exum is basically a twig, and would have a torrid time defending much threes who would be much bigger and stronger than him. Hard to see Simmons being a four either. He's got the size, but his game is far better suited to being a three man. Like I said Maker makes up for his lack of strength with his length and athletic ability. Teams don't exactly exclusively run post ups anymore, so that wouldn't be a concern and he'd be a huge help as a help defender with his tools.

There isn't exactly a prime Shaq out there, so strength isn't a big worry. A lot of bigs these days are far more soft with the way they play offensively. He's got length which is a huge help.
Dante is not a twig. He was skinny when younger but he's got the build to put on muscle and he has been. He was matching Marcus Smart physcially in summer league before he did he knee. He'll be fine strength wise in 2020.

What makes Simmons unique is that he can play the 4 and be a playmaker, move him to the three and you lose that specialness. Lets see how Philly use him, even with Saric, and the host of bigs, they've indicated they see him as a 4.

As i said Maker can play C against the right teams, could be an issue against the teams with big strong C's who can take advantage. Maker could get their strength wise, but not holding my breath at the moment. If he can get strong enough that he's not beasted he'll be awesome, and i really hope he can get there. A C who can block shots, rebound and shoot the 3 are basically the unicorns* of the NBA.

*stolen from Nate Duncan podcast.

Simmons is def a 4.

Not too sure how the 2019 would shape up.

Exum
Delly
?
Simmons
Baynes? Thon?

Bogut will prob be in a wheelchair in 3 years time and Patty is getting older and would be a useful gunner coming off the bench. Would be nice if we could have a good 3+D SF emerge over the next 3 years. Delly obv isn't a traditional 2 but he and Exum ideally in that line up are two good defensive guards who can shoot and be secondary creators/passers with Simmons being the primary ball handler.

Dante is not a twig. He was skinny when younger but he's got the build to put on muscle and he has been. He was matching Marcus Smart physcially in summer league before he did he knee. He'll be fine strength wise in 2020.

What makes Simmons unique is that he can play the 4 and be a playmaker, move him to the three and you lose that specialness. Lets see how Philly use him, even with Saric, and the host of bigs, they've indicated they see him as a 4.

As i said Maker can play C against the right teams, could be an issue against the teams with big strong C's who can take advantage. Maker could get their strength wise, but not holding my breath at the moment. If he can get strong enough that he's not beasted he'll be awesome, and i really hope he can get there. A C who can block shots, rebound and shoot the 3 are basically the unicorns* of the NBA.

*stolen from Nate Duncan podcast.
Marcus Smart is a 6'3 point guard. We're talking about small forwards that will have at least 10-15 kilos on him, even more if we're talking about the likes of Durant and LeBron.

Simmons might end up a four, I don't know. Interested to see how he fits into an offence first before straight out declaring he'll be a four in four years time.

Marcus Smart is a 6'3 point guard. We're talking about small forwards that will have at least 10-15 kilos on him, even more if we're talking about the likes of Durant and LeBron.

Simmons might end up a four, I don't know. Interested to see how he fits into an offence first before straight out declaring he'll be a four in four years time.
Again, i said Exum can play as a 3 against some teams. Spain started Rudy Fernandez at SF in the Bronze medal game. He's the same height as Exum. Hes not an ideal fit, but would work if we can't find a decent SF so he can shift down.

Simmons is a four now. Has played PF at college, will play it this year in the NBA. It's not really even a debate among NBA observers so not sure why you think otherwise.

Again, i said Exum can play as a 3 against some teams. Spain started Rudy Fernandez at SF in the Bronze medal game. He's the same height as Exum. Hes not an ideal fit, but would work if we can't find a decent SF so he can shift down.

Simmons is a four now. Has played PF at college, will play it this year in the NBA. It's not really even a debate among NBA observers so not sure why you think otherwise.
Rudy Fernandez is a much better shooter and has years of experience playing that position.

Simmons is a tweener. He said himself he is a point forward. Yes, the 76ers are going to play him at the four, but it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him as a three in the end, particularly if he gets better at shooting the ball. I haven't seen an NBA scouts or observers all come out in unison and say he's a four.

height is irrelevant. Rudy started at SF to provide shooting and high basketball IQ.

Rudy Fernandez is a much better shooter and has years of experience playing that position.

Simmons is a tweener. He said himself he is a point forward. Yes, the 76ers are going to play him at the four, but it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him as a three in the end, particularly if he gets better at shooting the ball. I haven't seen an NBA scouts or observers all come out in unison and say he's a four.
Thon Maker will end up playing the 3. His speed and ball handling are both good to outstanding. Rather than it be a liability the three position will end being a strength for the Boomers in four years time. Thon will have the speed to guard his man, but then have advantage with getting shots on the wing when matched up on smaller players. In Summer League play he is already hitting the three ball well and bringing the ball up the court. Next Olympic it will be Ben and Thon playing the 3 and 4. Hopefully bought will then guard the opposition centre and set screens for our two elite 3 and 4 players. (Ben and Thon)

Has taken me 3 days to calm down I reckon. Everyone talks about the last foul (lol) on Mills, but the one against Baynes on the defensive possession before that gave Pau free throws was just as bad. Not getting a shot up in the last 5 seconds stings.

Still, sensational game and a great effort to do it without Bogut for the 2nd half. Overall pretty proud of the boys, had 1 bad game all tournament. Just goes to show you how tough it is to medal.

That being said, sadly I reckon that was our best chance to snag one. Everyone seems pretty bullish about 2020 but I dunno, yeah Simmonds looks like a gun and Maker could be anything (probably haven't seen enough of Exum but not convinced as of now) but the flipside is Bogut will be gone surely, Delly will be 30 and Mills 32 - won't be the same players. Hope I'm wrong but I think if it was going to happen anytime soon it had to be this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thon Maker will end up playing the 3. His speed and ball handling are both good to outstanding. Rather than it be a liability the three position will end being a strength for the Boomers in four years time. Thon will have the speed to guard his man, but then have advantage with getting shots on the wing when matched up on smaller players. In Summer League play he is already hitting the three ball well and bringing the ball up the court. Next Olympic it will be Ben and Thon playing the 3 and 4. Hopefully bought will then guard the opposition centre and set screens for our two elite 3 and 4 players. (Ben and Thon)
That's not how it works. If you have players capable of playing up a position 4 up to 5, 3 up to 4 etc., it's a massive advantage. Because they can use their superior skills against weaker opponents.

Playing Thon at the 3 takes away the advantage of his ball handling, and doesn't open up the key with the threat of his outside shot, allowing everyone else to attack the ring at will. Now if they try and counter by playing a smaller defender on him that's when he's got to punish the defender by going inside so that they end up playing a center back on him and the mismatch comes back.

This is what GSW do with Draymond. His greatest value is when he can swing to the 5. Teams can't match up against that.

Just because a guy can play a position up, doesn't mean he should. It doesn't mean that's the best option to go with. Saying that going up a position means he is playing against "weaker opponents" is just not true. The bigger you are, doesn't mean you are a weaker player.

You use Draymond as an example, but he plays the 5 maybe 20% of the game. You also talking about a guy who finished Top 5 or so in the MVP.

Just because a guy can play a position up, doesn't mean he should. It doesn't mean that's the best option to go with. Saying that going up a position means he is playing against "weaker opponents" is just not true. The bigger you are, doesn't mean you are a weaker player.

You use Draymond as an example, but he plays the 5 maybe 20% of the game. You also talking about a guy who finished Top 5 or so in the MVP.
"Weaker" means that a center isn't usually comfortable chasing someone out on the 3 point line, and won't like it if that person out on the 3 point line can also put the ball on the floor and go past them either. It's about maximising the skill set of players to get maximum value.

Draymond at the 5 = lineup of death (but not you can't play him there full time as he'd wear down battling big brutes full time), Draymond at the 3 = meh. He's an extreme example, but it's relative. I think Thon is probably a 4, but if he can play the 5 for periods of the game/as matchups allow, it opens the game up to a variety of options that moving him to the 3 just doesn't do.

we can predict a stellar lineup for tokyo, but we also need to understand what powerhouse countries will be serving up as well with their younger players
So much of your chance at a medal is also based on avoiding the US to the gold medal game. We had perfect spot this year, had two games which if we won we were guaranteed a medal. Sadly lost them both.

If you face USA in a quarter, no medal for you, face them in a Semi you put all your eggs in the bronze medal playoff game.

That's not how it works. If you have players capable of playing up a position 4 up to 5, 3 up to 4 etc., it's a massive advantage. Because they can use their superior skills against weaker opponents.

Playing Thon at the 3 takes away the advantage of his ball handling, and doesn't open up the key with the threat of his outside shot, allowing everyone else to attack the ring at will. Now if they try and counter by playing a smaller defender on him that's when he's got to punish the defender by going inside so that they end up playing a center back on him and the mismatch comes back.

This is what GSW do with Draymond. His greatest value is when he can swing to the 5. Teams can't match up against that.
Kevin Durant says what you just posted is rubbish. Far more advantage having the extra height to get a shot away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back