Competitions 2016 PHANTOM DRAFT #2 COMPLETE

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems you could be right:

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

FATHER-SON – ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

A club can pre-select an eligible player as a Category A rookie between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts (with the player’s consent) provided the player had nominated for but was not selected by another club at either the National or Pre-Season Drafts.

ACADEMY PLAYERS – ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Only draft-eligible club Academy players who were nominated by their club at the designated time and played in the National Championships are eligible to be pre-selected as a Category B rookie.

Unsure if that means they needed to play at the champs in the year of the draft (Tizani went in 2015, not 2016).

Apologies for not getting around to St Kilda's 3rd pick. The last few days have been a write-off for me with my head a permanent fixture inside my toilet bowl.

St Kilda are tracking nicely so going into this my focus was on bolstering the run and carry of their midfield.

Gallucci I was happy to take with their first pick and I suspect they will be happy to take him there also. SPP, Bolton and Simpkin were all high on my radar but none lasted unfortunately.

Duman at 41 may be seen as a slight reach but he projects as a nice prospect at AFL level. With no pressing needs I feel St Kilda are well placed to pick someone like Duman here who has excellent disposal and could settle in any number of positions at AFL level. Jack Maibaum was my other main consideration here as a key defensive prospect.

McCarthy wasn't on my radar at 60 and feel St Kilda would only look at him if available through the rookie draft. Had I been around I would have taken Kym Lebois here - looks to be an exciting prospect.

McCarthy wasn't on my radar at 60 and feel St Kilda would only look at him if available through the rookie draft. Had I been around I would have taken Kym Lebois here - looks to be an exciting prospect.
Ouch!

Long term key position prospect, something the Saints need. More so in defence, but he has the athleticism and ability to play at either end.

Used in the ruck at the Champs and in the TAC because he's so explosive and keeps in the play after landing back on the deck:

Out injured since then I think, so he's well under the radar.

I thought Freo only had 5 list spaces?

6 spaces apparently.

Although on the D&T BF phantom draft, they've only taken 5.
I checked before finalising our draft picks: it's 6.

Dipping into the smokies pile here:

#90 - West Coast - Tye Bedford
Incredible pace and aerial ability, could be anything with his attributes; shades of Adam Goodes in his style with his ability to tear up the field and make the play before anyone knows what's hit them. Only knock is his sideways movement doesn't look great from what I've seen, but he's raw so he could find something there, but even without he sheds tackles with ease.

#91 - Hawthorn - Sam McLachlan
A late-developing, mature-aged (21) 195 cm inside mid who is almost physically ready to go (tank needs work) and has a beautiful, flat long kick, but probably needs to work on his game awareness and his shorter passing by foot. The rest of the time, however, he reminds me of Cripps in how he releases the footy by hand, especially after and during contact. Played in the VFL for a poor Geelong team, but kept them competitive in the first half of the season before fading.

Could bring something completely different to Hawthorn's current midfield mix, which arguably lacks a clear edge inside, nor any real semblance of height after playing hardcore moneyball with their draft selections.

Blue and Silver, here's your final pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done everyone, great drafting!

Here's my wrap:

West Coast
14 - Harrison Macreadie
The best tall on the board after a huge run on the best mids; was interested in Jy Simpkin, but GWS gifted me this guy. Best key defender in the draft IMO.

35 - Joe Atley
Too good to pass up; got him much later last time, but he's moved ahead of Mutch & Sproule in my estimation. His athleticism is much better than most draft reports write it up as. Beautiful flat kick that hits targets; gets forward and scores, helps spread from stoppage either by hand or with his run and nous.

58 - Cameron Zurhaar
He's a bolter, and holy hell he is clean and explosive, as well comfortable inside, outside and up forward. Well worth the risk at this point.

77 - Jake Waterman
Solid FF prospect, patient approach to him developing his tank will do him well.

90 - Tye Bedford
Smokey, but has so many weapons that he doesn't even need to know what's going on the field, just be in the vacinity. Just needs to work on his fitness.

Hawthorn
82 - Liam Baker
Should not have been here, so despite his height (174cm) we'll take him. Proper midfield with a great mix of speed, endurance and skill. Happy to play inside, outside and off HF, so no worries in terms of him failing at AFL level because of his size.

84 - Tarir Bayok
Another 174cm kid with a great mix of speed, endurance and skill. Takes risks on the field with his kicking, and it pays off. West Coast are eyeing him off as a diversity academy pre-list (Sudanese decent), but he shouldn't make it that far (i.e. the end of the rookie draft).

91 - Sam McLachlan
Another smokie, but big wraps on him from the VFL circles as he showed directness, contested ability and goal scoring power from midfield for Geelong, particularly in the first half of the year. Oddly tailed off shortly after (nothing to do with Geelong's current picks I'm sure).

He's got some shades of Cripps and he is well worth the risk for Hawthorn, who have a huge contingent of their midfield at 183 cms and under, and I've extended that further with my first two picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back