Player Sponsorship 2016 Player Sponsorship - 1st Event BBQ with Sponsors 24th Feb (RSVP 16th Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Morning all,
Please find the details below for the 1st event for 2016.

Please indicate ASAP if you would like to go into the raffle for the event as we need to RSVP by NEXT TUESDAY (16th Feb)!

Cheers

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your continued support of the player sponsor program. We’re looking forward to another great year.

The Pre Season BBQ is the first event on the calendar for 2016. The event is a great chance for you to spend time with your player(s) in a relaxed and fun environment.

Event Details as follows;

When: Wednesday, February 24.
Time: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Where: Linen House Centre. 151 East Rd. Seaford, 3198
Entitlement: Two (2) invitations per sponsorship

Please arrive at 4:15pm for registration.

To kick off the afternoon you will get a run down on the pre-season thus far from Director of Coaching and Strategy, Danny Sexton, followed by a tour of the Linen House Centre and kick-to-kick with the players, then conclude with a BBQ.

Please RSVP no later than 5PM Tuesday, February 16

Not able to make this one due to work, but I look forward to reading any reports from the day.

I echo these sentiments, but my desire to read the sports is seemingly less since I wasn't going to state that bit. :p

4:15 in Seaford on a Wednesday, don't think we're going to have many takers
Yeah I did mention that to a couple of people from the club on Friday afternoon when chatting to them....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shame, it's a really great idea but how many sponsors are going to miss out because of the timing

Anybody with a nominal full time job who doesn't work 10mins from the bbq location seemingly.

Anybody with a nominal full time job who doesn't work 10mins from the bbq location seemingly.
Unfortunately most other player sponsors/groups appear to be self employed etc so may have a little more freedom than our group.
Remember our syndicate is a little different to that.
All good, crinkoes and myself will attend and write up a report for everyone!
crinkoes could you please PM me your full name and mob number and I can sms further details if required etc.

Unfortunately most other player sponsors/groups appear to be self employed etc so may have a little more freedom than our group.
crinkoes could you please PM me your full name and mob number and I can sms further details if required etc.

This is one way to encourage me to contribute rather than just reading haha

Oh wasn't a complaint, more an assessment that it's not directed to the usual working class and is more light hearted thing.

Oh wasn't a complaint, more an assessment that it's not directed to the usual working class and is more light hearted thing.
I know mate, was just explainging why club does have these types of events sometimes, to help newer sponsors on here etc.
All the events this year look great so hopefully will be a good year!

Some marinated roo steaks cryovacced in bush peppers for three months and then lightly barbecued medium rare and washed down with a Bin 389 would have been nice.

Some marinated roo steaks cryovacced in bush peppers for three months and then lightly barbecued medium rare and washed down with a Bin 389 would have been nice.
haha not sure the serving with be that gourmet but wait and see!

Well here is the 1st event report from me!
firstly apologies in advance for my crapola player nicknames used in this post, I like them! haha

crinkoes and I met just inside the Saints bball court where they filed all the players sponsors after handing each of us a name badge sticker thing (Yes StFly , crinkoes and myself had our own stickers with our correct names on there, no Boydie's guest etc hahaha)
After waiting about 10mins for everyone to arrive and get in the door, the players then came in through the other side of the building.
The room was split into 8 groups with players and their sponsors allotted to a group, our group consisted of Freezer, Roo, Brrrruuuccccce, Lovebite (Hickey), Russell (gilbert) and Bailey Rice.
I said to crinkoes to stay away from Ricey in case he still contagious!
Ricey actually is quite popular with player sponsors with 3 or 4 seeming to be his!
Poor Payney has no sponsor yet, so if anyone on here has the couple grand, step up! haha
Freezer approached crinkoes and I as we were sitting down and introduced himself and said gday, crinkoes and I asked him a few q's around how he is feeling etc and how his first preseason at the Saints has been.
*side note, as I heard him say at the intraclub, he is ready to play now (and effin keen to play in his own words! haha) but the club want to build strength into the hammy to make sure it will handle playing but then he actually needs to taper off his weight/training loads etc to get in the match fit zone. Someone with fitness knowledge etc prob best to explain that one to us!

Lovebite, Russell and Armo were the first to speak each saying thanks for us all being there and supporting the club etc and giving a brief rundown of proceedings

Matt Finnis then spoke and re-iterated the thanks to us all and said the club is at best membership tally at this stage of year for sometime (maybe ever, I forger what he said) and said the club is moving on with the plans for the move to back to Moorabbin.

Next Sexton spoke about the changes to the assistant coaches arrangement etc and also about how the workloads on players have been good etc and we are ready for good year!

Once all of the other group started heading off for the tour, our group hung about and our first stop was the bball court! Lovebite and Russell were our group leaders with Brrrruuucccce sort of playing the 3rd string quarterback adding little facts/stories when he had some! Freezer, Ricey and Payney just hung around and chatted to the sponsors while walking around.
Interesting thing about bball court is they said that they do a lot of skills work in there, especially Brucey who does a lot of goal kicking practice in there at small targets on the walls etc

The boys lead us on the tour of the facilities down there including the altitude room with bikes etc in there, the gym with everything you would ever want in a gym etc including a records whiteboard that I got a pic of but having trouble uploading now grrrr. They did show us a few bits of equipment that appear state of the art such as the oxygen recovery thing and some machine that takes the weight off you so you can train even when injured, apologies for the non-tech speak there haha

The players room is decked out with a table tennis table which gets frequent use and the games get pretty full on with the side walls suffering multiple damage from players and others running into them!
In there is also the computers with champion data footage hooked up on them so they can watch themselves or their upcoming opponents individually. this is used for strategy as well as after game player analysis etc pretty cool system. Brucey was trying to get multiple angles of lovebite going through the fence up in Wang last weekend while we were there haha

While going through the office/finance/coaches area Hickey pointed out the recruiters office which is boarded up so you cannot see inside the glass walls and the door is locked 100% of the time. He even said when we were trying to recruit him he came down for a meeting with saints and tried to sneak a look and he saw the list of targets at the Suns at the time and he wasnt our top target, he was No.2 after Charlie Dixon!!! hahaha
So apparently already the recruiters have draftees in mind and lists etc of them as well as lists of players from other clubs they are keen on etc so I thought that was pretty interesting!

I told Ricey I had his old man's number (and now his) on my back before he was even born as we were walking around having a chat, he said his dad likes that he has 37 so wont look to change it!

After the tour was finished we were all walker around to outside near the main oval for the bbq dinner!
I took this opportunity to thanks Gilbert for the tour and ask a few 's bout how he going etc, he is very friendly bloke and easy to talk too, is happy to be up in midfield but thinks he will play back too. He is pretty tall, not much shorter than brucey I would think and while Im on that, Payney is a tall kid, prob needs a bit more bulk but looks god height.
Thanks lovebite too and proceeded to line up for some grub.
crinkoes was chatting to lovebite before I said thanks to him so I will leave it to him to comment if he said anything of note.
chatting to payney in line for bbq and he is a quiet kid! Still living with host family in Sandy as his parents and gf are still up in Ballarat. He is keen for a run in NAB challenge but knows he is not guaranteed even with Paddy going down, but is working hard to put his name up there. Payney is pretty good mates with Jimmy Webster now he been at club over 12 months and I said to him that Jimmy must get him in trouble a lot then! he said nah but he has got him into shooting!

For the foodies out there, the bbq was a mobile bbq guys sorta business, with chicken, hamburgers, snags and marinated steaks on the meat menu and roast spuds and salads etc for the rest.
crinkoes took the last snag at the time on me so settled for a burger, chicken and steak and stalked later on for a snag once more cooked!

crinkoes and I stood around and ate, watching the kids doing a goal kicking completition etc. Freeze came around and found us and chatted for another 20-30mins and was one of the last remaining players out there with sebby ross and couple others still chatting to people.

Had a little chat to Blakey Acres about how our Pacers are going in the NBA (Go Pacers!) and "tickets" weller overheard and chimed in saying our rookie Miles Turner is going alright, I asked tickets if he was a Pacers man too, but he is a Clippers supporter!

Overall pretty happy with our new sponsor, he is easy to chat too and I think he is enjoying being at the saints, commenting multiple times that his house is 10mins away from Seafod and Moorabbin so loving life at home still!

Thats a wrap I think, will try to get the photos uploaded but doesnt look like its happening tonight!

I welcome any q's if anyone has any!
Cheers
Boydie

Boydie has done a great job and made mine a whole lot easier. I'll try and think of some other things.
As boydie said, Freezer said he's right to go but the fitness staff want him to keep building his strength and fitness with training because once the games start they are lucky to get one solid session in a week. The rest of the time is about recovery and preparation.
He's still single and living at home with his parents and two brothers in Dingley so is loving Seaford. However he can't wait for Moorabbin and said its going to be sick as. Nathan is expecting to be available for round 1 at VFL level. He'd love to make his debut in round 3 against the pies but understands it will most likely be a little later.
As boydie said, there's a board up in the gym with the records for about 8 different categories. Bench press, box squat, 3km time trial etc. It's broken into 5 weight categories. -80, 80-85, 85-90, 90-95, 95+. There's a lot of different names. The name featured the most wouldn't be a surprise. Tom Curren with Sean Dempster probably next best. Curren actually has the biggest bench press despite being in the bottom weight category. Our man freezer is up there for box squats in the under 80kg.
When they showed us all the offices and different rooms including the recruiting room, one of the other sponsors was quick enough to ask Brucey if that's where he will be heading into to re-sign. He had a laugh and said that'll be done in Ameet's office.
They all seem pretty keen to move to Moorabbin. Apparently in addition to the two ovals it will have, the club is looking at an indoor oval type set-up similar to what Essendon have with the hangar. The recovery pools and spas are also expected to be bigger and better than currently.
I asked Tom Hickey about the ruck coach Adam Skrobalak. Skroba was playing coach in premierships in two different leagues down my way in Geelong a few years ago. My cousin actually played in a flag at Torquay under him so I've taken a bit of interest in his career. He moved from local football to Port Melbourne and then on to us.
Tom was a big wrap for him and said that Skroba always sticks up for him which he likes. Said he's very well prepared and hard working. Tom said in all his time in footy that the ruckmen have never been allowed to compete in ruck contests at training because of the risk of injury but this year Skroba found them some big leg brace/knee pad things, which you may have seen in training photos, that have allowed the boys to compete against each other for the first time. They are loving that opportunity and finding it very beneficial and hoping it gives them a bit of a head start on the opposition.
On the computers they showed us you can look up any game for the last 5 years and then look at the highlights of whatever stat you want. Whether it's watching every rebound 50, stoppage, shot at goal or whatever you want. You can also click on a players name and watch every bit of play they were involved in. The boys said that Bailey is known to sit in there and watch his tac cup highlights to which he sheepishly admitted was true.
That pretty much covers the experience. Was definitely worth making my first trip to Seaford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back