wayb2912

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2009
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
I just watched the latest NAB u18 video and a player that really stood out was Joe Atley. He is almost a Travis Boak clone and plays very similar to him(also wears no.1!). I would love us to draft someone like him.

We need to invest in the following:

1st rounder - high quality midfielder

Another quality developing young ruckman

A mature age defender from the State leagues similar to Marcus Adams

An AFL experienced small forward/defender, preferably from a successful club like Freo/Hawthorn/Sydney, just to add something different to our team. Imagine if we could get a player like Shaun Burgoyne back just to settle our defence and add that extra bit of class to our team. I am sure that if we knew Monfries was going to be suspended we would of went for a player like Stevie Johnson.

I have heard that we are into Sam Mayes but is he really the type of player we need? He is very similar to Hartlett and Toumpas.

Below is the video of Atley

http://m.afl.com.au/video/subscriptions.smartmobile?mediaId=d28df862a4234510VgnVCM100000976bb70aRCRD

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-26/the-next-batch-whos-the-pick-of-the-2016-draft-crop Brandon Parfitt
177cm/72kg
DOB: 27/8/98
Nightcliff/North Adelaide/NT
Midfielder

A courageous and tough small midfielder who attacks the ball ferociously. Parfitt is precise by hand and foot, and clever around goal as well. He showed those traits for the Northern Territory at this year's division two championships. He was named his team's MVP for the carnival and was also selected in the All Australian team on the interchange. Has been playing in South Australia this year after relocating from the NT. A lot of people like him at the top end of the draft and is an A grade lad as well.

Would abso-freakin-lutely love if we could get Jonty Scharenberg.

Petrevski-Seton is the best player in the draft, but he'll go 1 or 2 at this stage and so I doubt we'll have any shot at him.

Outside of that, Scharenberg is my guy (for now at least).

Yeah can't wait til Champs time.

Hugh mcluggage sounds great. Classy user, knightmare even compared him to Robbie Gray if he could lift.

Josh battle as a key forward.

Rotham as a key back racks up heaps of touches.

Graham all rounder from sa. Powell-pepper and Brodie as bash and crash players. Jonty sounds like a good all round inside mid.

Yeah can't wait til Champs time.

Hugh mcluggage sounds great. Classy user, knightmare even compared him to Robbie Gray if he could lift.

Josh battle as a key forward.

Rotham as a key back racks up heaps of touches.

Graham all rounder from sa. Powell-pepper and Brodie as bash and crash players. Jonty sounds like a good all round inside mid.

McLuggage, Powell-Pepper.....are these draftees or the characters in the latest Seth Rogen movie?

No trading of first picks this year please. Unless it is to move up in the first-round order. And no trading where there MAY be no repercussions as per Paddy Ryder. Trading out a first pick may have seemed a good idea at the time but the outcome should have been at least suspected. And yes, it is easy to be wise after the event but our officials are paid to be wise before the event.

I just watched the latest NAB u18 video and a player that really stood out was Joe Atley. He is almost a Travis Boak clone and plays very similar to him(also wears no.1!). I would love us to draft someone like him.

We need to invest in the following:

1st rounder - high quality midfielder

Another quality developing young ruckman

A mature age defender from the State leagues similar to Marcus Adams

An AFL experienced small forward/defender, preferably from a successful club like Freo/Hawthorn/Sydney, just to add something different to our team. Imagine if we could get a player like Shaun Burgoyne back just to settle our defence and add that extra bit of class to our team. I am sure that if we knew Monfries was going to be suspended we would of went for a player like Stevie Johnson.

I have heard that we are into Sam Mayes but is he really the type of player we need? He is very similar to Hartlett and Toumpas.

Below is the video of Atley

http://m.afl.com.au/video/subscriptions.smartmobile?mediaId=d28df862a4234510VgnVCM100000976bb70aRCRD

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SJ would have been a wonderful pick up to balance out our forward line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might be replacing 8 to 10 players if things keep going poorly - despite some long term contracts. I'd expect us to take 5 or 6 thru the draft if we get rid of that many players.

As we have the worst clearances rate in the AFL then our first choice should be an inside midfielder.
Unfortunately that wont fix up much of the problems in 2017 unless we find another Ollie. That is a longer term fix if we get an 18 year old inside mid.

As we have the worst clearances rate in the AFL then our first choice should be an inside midfielder.

I think we have as good a collection of inside mids as anyone though.

So the question is why are they not performing?

If you watch games they

A) win the ball but fumble either the catch and gather or the disposal

B) are not positioned well at stoppages

C) are not positioned or spread well outside the stoppage

I would say that the main concerns are we are not spending enough time practicing simple ball skills , are poorly set up and coached in the midfield , and players work rates are poor.

Sure , another inside midfielder would be very welcome but unless we change what we are doing they will be finding against the current. If we are looking at inside mids we should target those that are very clean out of packs. The Robbie grays , pendleburys that look to have more time and make good decisions.

I would love to see us trade our way to having two first round draft picks this year. Plus gain a second round pick as well. We need to keep drafting strong talent to our club.

Me too. As I posted in the trade thread we should try and swap next years first round pick for a first round pick in this years draft. The northern academies will likely make that possible.

Use those early picks to draft a mobile marking forward and a pure midfielder.

I would love to see us trade our way to having two first round draft picks this year. Plus gain a second round pick as well. We need to keep drafting strong talent to our club.
This is not a knee jerk reaction but losses tell you more about players and just where we are at and what do we need going forward.
What players do we keep that can take us to the next step, who can we trade out, not so much a rebuild but do we draft and develop and look at not just u'18 but ready made mature who are hungry e.g. Puopolo
Do we need a strategist in the mould of Richo, Walsh and then LOCK them in...forget this we are good guys and release to another club..f###k that.
We have a good core of experience players plus recent draftees such as Howard, Austin, Clurey, Bonner, Darcy BJ, Palmer etc and Ryder & maybe Monfries.
Personally think it is time to regenerate.
Other clubs have gone ahead of us IMHO like bulldogs, west coast, gws and crows.
I don't see it as total rebuild at all but i'm not sure the personal we have will get us that flag.
I would be interested in Macca's and Ford's thoughts. Anyway food for thought.

We have already seen that teams with academy kids are willing to trade an early pick for multiple later picks

If young wants out I think we trade young , lobbe and Oshea and consider carlile. That gives us picks to trade up with teams wanting academy kids.

Me too. As I posted in the trade thread we should try and swap next years first round pick for a first round pick in this years draft. The northern academies will likely make that possible.

Use those early picks to draft a mobile marking forward and a pure midfielder.
Personally, I would prefer to keep next year's first round pick too. To get the second first round pick in this year's draft, trade one of our under performing leadership players. Who that is depends on the rest of the season.

Agree with you regarding the types of players we should target. We should be drafting at least one strong ball winning inside mid per year. As for the tall, preferably someone in the 193-196cm range who knows how to lead properly and has a strong mark. Couldn't hurt to pick up a development ruck too, though probably with a 3rd or 4th round pick.

We have already seen that teams with academy kids are willing to trade an early pick for multiple later picks

If young wants out I think we trade young , lobbe and Oshea and consider carlile. That gives us picks to trade up with teams wanting academy kids.
I'm undecided re Young: I think he shows something when played in the forward line. Agree re the others though.

I'm undecided re Young: I think he shows something when played in the forward line. Agree re the others though.

Oh happy to keep young if he wants to stay. Absolutely. But i think he might want to go. Even if he wants to stay we can still trade lobbe, Oshea and carlile and trade up with picks. Although I'm not even 100% sure on trading carlile I think he is harshly judged but if our coaches do rate Austin and clurey in the least then moving on carlile when he will be what 29 next season would be smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back