List Mgmt. 2016 Potential Draft Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Full credit to our recruiting team who let face it, generally cops a lot of s**t on here.

They have absolutely nailed this draft and layed a solid foundation for our next generation Midfield and Forward.

Definately feeling good about 2017.
Not sure our recruiting team cops a lot of flack but our list management does & probably deserves too after a few more than excessive undeserved long term contracts to players we've since tried to unsuccessfully offload.

Our recruiting is fine but going forward we just need to not be so overly generous rewarding players who don't warrant a pay packet & security of a consistent star standard player.

Last edited:

the trades were bagged for the same reason i got upset at picking Marshall at 16. despite being the right call we were all expecting port adelaide to not finish the job and end up with a heap of non-required flankers.
Right now I have absolute faith in our list management. They could have easily sat on their hands and done nothing this trade period, but every year since Hinkley's arrival they've find a way to improve our list.

Yes I liked the trades at the time so I'm far from disagreeing I even said mid season this is how I would do it and it happened so I'm ecstatic. I've liked most our drafts and off seasons since Hinkley got here.

Actually I've liked it since the Campbell Heath trade period where we reset the club. Was that Hinkley first year?

How do you think Jarrod Lienert would go as a rookie? I don't care how raw he is, a 22 year old 195cm wingman is worth the discussion. And all these top end picks, pick themselves. Its not how good your best player is, its how good your worst player is. That's what wins premierships.

Well picked this one OK 2 months ago. Anyone looking for a scout will work for beer

Right now I have absolute faith in our list management. They could have easily sat on their hands and done nothing this trade period, but every year since Hinkley's arrival they've find a way to improve our list.
I think this gets overlooked, or some people will find a way to argue it's not true, but it's a good point.

2012: Heath, Stevenson, Monfries, Hombsch, Neade in as part of a reset, with Monfries giving some experience to a young forward line.
2013: Polec in as a young elite ball user while still managing to get a great talent in Impey
2014: Ryder in as an elite ruck to bolster our tall stocks
2015: Dixon in as a very good, ready to go KPF

2012 may be the least "sexy" of those periods at the time, but Monfries and obviously Hombsch have been great gets. Polec, Ryder, Dixon were all very big gets too. Contrast to clubs like Freo, North, Crows, Richmond who were all in similar positions to us on the ladder and all have gone after big targets most years and have failed to land anyone of note.

I think this gets overlooked, or some people will find a way to argue it's not true, but it's a good point.

2012: Heath, Stevenson, Monfries, Hombsch, Neade in as part of a reset, with Monfries giving some experience to a young forward line.
2013: Polec in as a young elite ball user while still managing to get a great talent in Impey

2012 may be the least "sexy" of those periods at the time, but Monfries and obviously Hombsch have been great gets. Polec, Ryder, Dixon were all very big gets too. Contrast to clubs like Freo, North, Crows, Richmond who were all in similar positions to us on the ladder and all have gone after big targets most years and have failed to land anyone of note.
Sexy and football should Never ever go together. Hinkley can * off with that one.

You make a good point. I also really have liked our additions to the squad each summer, unfortunately there has been unanticipated regression from elsewhere on our list which has counteracted it.

You make a good point. I also really have liked our additions to the squad each summer, unfortunately there has been unanticipated regression from elsewhere on our list which has counteracted it.
This is very true. Tracing back the source of the regression and fixing it permanently is so important now.
How did mediocrity allow itself back into our club after 2014?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's a lot to be said for the character of the players drafted this year as much as talent.

I don't know much about Marshall but he appears to have a fair degree of self confidence and will want to prove he is more than a bucket of potential.

Powell-Pepper, Atley and Drew all bring with them the reputation of wanting to get the job done with hard-nosed blue collar footy and giving their all to make sure the team wins.

Ladhams realised he was drifting and set about improving himself to get drafted. Eddy knows this is his last big chance and will give his all to cement a spot. Even Lienert is getting a look in after being passed over a few years back so has something to prove. Irra is hugely enthusiastic and wants to prove he can succeed.

These guy's attitudes as much as anything could have a transformative effect on the team.

I think there's a lot to be said for the character of the players drafted this year as much as talent.

I don't know much about Marshall but he appears to have a fair degree of self confidence and will want to prove he is more than a bucket of potential.

Powell-Pepper, Atley and Drew all bring with them the reputation of wanting to get the job done with hard-nosed blue collar footy and giving their all to make sure the team wins.

Ladhams realised he was drifting and set about improving himself to get drafted. Eddy knows this is his last big chance and will give his all to cement a spot. Even Lienert is getting a look in after being passed over a few years back so has something to prove. Irra is hugely enthusiastic and wants to prove he can succeed.

These guy's attitudes as much as anything could have a transformative effect on the team.

Great post and I think similar things can be said about most of the guys drafted post-Wines, so I think this year's newbies will be well supported.

I'm pretty excited to see what this team will be like in 4-5 years time.

Does anyone have any clever nicknames that don't toe the line for the era of drafting actual midfielders?

Agree 100%. Everything was beginning to feel a bit stale and flaccid. The new recruits will bring a new vibe and enthusiasm..similar to DBJ and Austin last year..plus a bit of maturity from some...A lot of careful planning has gone into these choices.

Great post and I think similar things can be said about most of the guys drafted post-Wines, so I think this year's newbies will be well supported.

I'm pretty excited to see what this team will be like in 4-5 years time.
I'm excited for 2018 onwards
..2017 might be a bit up and down with so many injured and suspended players coming back in after long lay offs and the newbies finding their places. Hope the coaching and development doesn't stuff things up by training and playing them out of position. Surely we have enough depth now to play our boys where their strengths lie. Hopefully Lade and his footy IQ and determination are a revelation too. Our midfield looked terrible last year.

I just watched the latest NAB u18 video and a player that really stood out was Joe Atley. He is almost a Travis Boak clone and plays very similar to him(also wears no.1!). I would love us to draft someone like him.

We need to invest in the following:

1st rounder - high quality midfielder

Another quality developing young ruckman

A mature age defender from the State leagues similar to Marcus Adams

An AFL experienced small forward/defender, preferably from a successful club like Freo/Hawthorn/Sydney, just to add something different to our team. Imagine if we could get a player like Shaun Burgoyne back just to settle our defence and add that extra bit of class to our team. I am sure that if we knew Monfries was going to be suspended we would of went for a player like Stevie Johnson.

I have heard that we are into Sam Mayes but is he really the type of player we need? He is very similar to Hartlett and Toumpas.

Below is the video of Atley

http://m.afl.com.au/video/subscriptions.smartmobile?mediaId=d28df862a4234510VgnVCM100000976bb70aRCRD

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
1st post of the thread! Well picked & well done .... you got your wish!!

Is it too early to start talking about the 2017 afl draft?

Hunter Clark is my number one want. Played at the champs as an under ager and impressed the hell out of me. Just a natural competitor and natural footballer. Unlikely to be around in the second round :(

But looks like a good draft this far out.

Darcy Fogarty could be the player many wanted battle to be, but had the athleticism to actually do it, the skill set to do it , and I think is also showing signs as a big midfielder in patches.

We have done quite well. The only thing that bothers me is that Ryder and Monfries ddnt take the deal they were offered for the ban. Having both Ryder and Dixon together will be huge, just sucks we had to wait a year to see it.

Is it too early to start talking about the 2017 afl draft?

Hunter Clark is my number one want. Played at the champs as an under ager and impressed the hell out of me. Just a natural competitor and natural footballer. Unlikely to be around in the second round :(

But looks like a good draft this far out.

Darcy Fogarty could be the player many wanted battle to be, but had the athleticism to actually do it, the skill set to do it , and I think is also showing signs as a big midfielder in patches.

I just watch my first snippet of the 2017 group. Powell, Clark, Worpel, Rayner, Dow, D.Fogarty, Henness, Taylor, Brander, Richards, Crossley, Higgins, Domic, Edwards (crows father/son), Balta, Ballenden & Hayes all showing talent.

One thing going back and looking at this group did was remind me how much the kids improve from 17 to 18.

D.Fogarty is on my want list for Port, early call for my love child.

In my entirely un-expert opinion, Marshall and SPP at #14 and #17 pls.

Lel, was searching for something else and found this I made over a month before the draft.

Schulzenfest is Geoff Parker confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back