List Mgmt. 2016 Potential Draft Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

For the next 3 seasons, all I want to draft is genuine midfielders and talls.

Only then, when we've got competent players in this area should we draft for specific needs like Impey again (I rate Impey however)
Absolutely. A genuine ball winning mid can be turned into a forward pocket or back pocket, but the reverse is rare and not something we should bank on.

For example right now IMO our list is defined by the need to make the following developments:
- Jesse Palmer, a pick 78 HFF, into an inside mid,
- Riley Bonner, a pick 37 HBF, into a wingman/standard mid
- Brendan AhChee, a pick 45 inconsistent HFF in his 5th year, into a reliable inside mid

I hate that we're always trying to change players into something. Aaron Young is a perfect example of playing someone where they belong and not trying to change him, and the result that can generate. He was always a HFF as I've been banging on about for years, and finally being played there instead of trying to convert him into a inside mid has paid off.

I had a quick look at the ladder and the remaining two rounds and it looks like we will finish 11th, so Pick 8 for us.

Even if we lose the next two neither Collingwood or Richmond are likely to overtake us, since they would need to win this week and beat Hawthorn and Sydney respectively in R23.

So we're not going to improve our draft position unless we get creative at the trade table.

Who's it gonna be? Who is Pick 8?

Battle should become a good player but I think there is enough doubt there that he would be a bit of a reach with our first pick. He would be ideal if we could get another pick in the top 20, he'd be the perfect second pick. But I think with our first pick, where it is, there will be better options available. I wouldn't be unhappy though if we went down that path though.

In fact I'd say this is the first year that I can remember where I think i'll be real happy with who we will likely get with our first rounder. This is probably my favourite draft crop since 2008.

Battle should become a good player but I think there is enough doubt there that he would be a bit of a reach with our first pick. He would be ideal if we could get another pick in the top 20, he'd be the perfect second pick. But I think with our first pick, where it is, there will be better options available. I wouldn't be unhappy though if we went down that path though.

In fact I'd say this is the first year that I can remember where I think i'll be real happy with who we will likely get with our first rounder. This is probably my favourite draft crop since 2008.

We need to trade out wisely this year! It looks like a fun draft year. The more picks the merrier.

Whats your thoughts on Venables for our first pick. To me he sounds/looks like a star (Dangerfield). Do you think he is going to be a real mid?

Also, Parfitt seems to have fallen dramatically down the boards. Do you rate him?

I think there will be some good players late in the draft.

We need to trade out wisely this year! It looks like a fun draft year. The more picks the merrier.

Whats your thoughts on Venables for our first pick. To me he sounds/looks like a star (Dangerfield). Do you think he is going to be a real mid?

Yeah I definitely think he'll track towards being a centre square mid in time. That goal he kicked in the champs where he burst out of the centre, shrugged off a tackle and goaled from 50 had Dangerfield written all over it. I think he provided the best highlights of the champs but I'd just love to see him get more of the ball. If he can turn himself from a 10-15 disposal to a 20-25 disposal player he'd probably end up the best player out of the draft. He's only played 3 games in the TAC Cup this year and his form there has also been alright, one poor game but two very good performances. I've been trying to find out some of his PEGS form but it's bloody hard.

Also, Parfitt seems to have fallen dramatically down the boards. Do you rate him?

I think there is the core of a good footballer there but his skills really let him down. If he can hone his kicking and ensure he hits targets more regularly then there is definitely an AFL player there. If he can't, then he'd be a constant source of frustration. He can certainly find plenty of the ball so he's half way there. Just the finishing needs improvement.

In order of my wants (mostly unrealistic):

1. SPS
2. McCluggage
3. Brodie
4. Perryman
5. McGrath
6. Venables

MIGHT have a shot at McGrath and I think Venables will be there. GWS will match any bid on Perryman.

Then there's a whole bunch of players I'd be more than satisfied with. I'm not as sold on Todd Marshall as others, but wouldn't be upset if we took him. Would be upset if we took Battle with our first though, much prefer Patrick Kerr who I think could be had with a second rounder easily, maybe even an early third.

Edit: Here's McGrath highlights from the U/18s. He's so clean with his hands and just a superb athlete.

What is everyones thoughts on the draft this year? I understand that we need high quality key position players like Todd Marshall(FWD), Tim English(RUCK). But i am leaning towards the outside talent that should be available at our pick. Sure we could do with good key position players but I would much prefer another star with X factor. At pick 9-11 we should be in the range for a host of quality players such as Ainsworth, Petrevski-Seton, Vennables, Parfitt and I am much more confident in our clubs ability to develop these kinds of players

If we could engineer picks that would land us Petrevski-Seton and Parfitt we would cease to have a midfield problem. If the Dockers don't take Petrevski-Seton and he slipped to us and we could land a pick at the top end of the second round for Parfitt and just hope he doesn't tear the Under 17/18 allstars game apart on grand final day and suddenly become a top 10 pick again.

Both would start round one next season.

If we could engineer picks that would land us Petrevski-Seton and Parfitt we would cease to have a midfield problem. If the Dockers don't take Petrevski-Seton and he slipped to us and we could land a pick at the top end of the second round for Parfitt and just hope he doesn't tear the Under 17/18 allstars game apart on grand final day and suddenly become a top 10 pick again.

Both would start round one next season.
I would be stoked to get that kind of talent on our list. Seriously if people want inside midfielders we would need to get rid of one of Boak Ebert Wines SGray Broadbent, they all play inside with terrible skills. I wouldn't mind getting a few of those talented outside players to fill Amon, Ahchee and SGrays spots

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was watching The Power To Win review of the 97 season on YouTube. One thing really stood out - Jack said it was his aim to draft TALL and STRONG young players. I wish our current regime had a similar mindset.

Unless a draftee is guaranteed AFL quality ( which is virtually impossible to predict ), let's hope the Power's midfield/flanker picks, will be at least 185 cm and 85-90 kegs, or have the frame to build to that body size.

Good hands in traffic, and accurate disposal by foot are also key requirements, ( thank you Captain Obvious :rolleyes: )

Unless a draftee is guaranteed AFL quality ( which is virtually impossible to predict ), let's hope the Power's midfield/flanker picks, will be at least 185 cm and 85-90 kegs, or have the frame to build to that body size.

Good hands in traffic, and accurate disposal by foot are also key requirements, ( thank you Captain Obvious :rolleyes: )

I mean it's all good and well to say this, but literally every club is after that exact player. It just so happens that only a few players each year fit those criteria and they usually go drafted very early. Outside of a top 15 pick any player is going to have some sort of question marks on him.

We can identify positions we lack, or skills we lack

Positions obviously a hole up forward where we may be left next season with only Dixon and Howard as our kpf options. Specificly a lead up marking forward that could work well with Dixon would be great. These don't grow on trees or are easy to trade in though.

Aside from that skill wise we need

- players with footskills, particularly outside players. As frustrated as we are by boaks, grays and wines footskills as inside mids you can live with those skills by foot in the contests if they are competing. The problem is the gut running outside mids and flankers ie Ebert , s gray (inside/outside player) young , Neade impey , Toumpas , etc are all pretty horrific. Even Hartlett with his huge boot is prone to missing targets. I can live with young , impey and Ebert as they are competitive players who win one on one duels. I think all our best kicks are in our backline, our midfield and forward half are bad.

So we terribly need an upgrade on a wingman with good sharp footskills who can find the ball and deliver.

I think we have seen with our team we also terribly lack marking around the ground. Hopefully Ryder returning will help that and a partner for Dixon whether that is Howard , butcher or another would push up and help that but also I think we lack enough small or medium guys who are exceptionally good over head. I think Ebert and pittard are our best pack marking smalls around the ground. Too many of our mids and flankers are too small or not competitive aerially when we need to go to a contest.

In order of my wants (mostly unrealistic):

1. SPS
2. McCluggage
3. Brodie
4. Perryman
5. McGrath
6. Venables

MIGHT have a shot at McGrath and I think Venables will be there. GWS will match any bid on Perryman.

Then there's a whole bunch of players I'd be more than satisfied with. I'm not as sold on Todd Marshall as others, but wouldn't be upset if we took him. Would be upset if we took Battle with our first though, much prefer Patrick Kerr who I think could be had with a second rounder easily, maybe even an early third.

Edit: Here's McGrath highlights from the U/18s. He's so clean with his hands and just a superb athlete.

He looks just what we need

R
We can identify positions we lack, or skills we lack

Positions obviously a hole up forward where we may be left next season with only Dixon and Howard as our kpf options. Specificly a lead up marking forward that could work well with Dixon would be great. These don't grow on trees or are easy to trade in though.

Aside from that skill wise we need

- players with footskills, particularly outside players. As frustrated as we are by boaks, grays and wines footskills as inside mids you can live with those skills by foot in the contests if they are competing. The problem is the gut running outside mids and flankers ie Ebert , s gray (inside/outside player) young , Neade impey , Toumpas , etc are all pretty horrific. Even Hartlett with his huge boot is prone to missing targets. I can live with young , impey and Ebert as they are competitive players who win one on one duels. I think all our best kicks are in our backline, our midfield and forward half are bad.

So we terribly need an upgrade on a wingman with good sharp footskills who can find the ball and deliver.

I think we have seen with our team we also terribly lack marking around the ground. Hopefully Ryder returning will help that and a partner for Dixon whether that is Howard , butcher or another would push up and help that but also I think we lack enough small or medium guys who are exceptionally good over head. I think Ebert and pittard are our best pack marking smalls around the ground. Too many of our mids and flankers are too small or not competitive aerially when we need to go to a contest.
Ryder is a highly skilled player but his competitive marking is not that good

Think you'll find seeing him there for our chop out marks down the wing will improve our side ten fold.

He is a massive, massive upgrade on what we have now in this area.
Agree with this completely, was thinking more about forward line marking but clearing out of the defensive 50 marking is essiential and he will certainly help

R

Ryder is a highly skilled player but his competitive marking is not that good

You mean compared to Lobbe, who he replaces in the 22, or by some other less important standard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back