List Mgmt. 2016 Potential Draft Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

If Drew has played flanker/back pocket would we really want to draft him and try turn him into a pure midfielder?

If Drew has played flanker/back pocket would we really want to draft him and try turn him into a pure midfielder?
I think he was only playing in defence for VC because of the depth of talented midfielders.

Certainly an inside mid.

I'm not a fan. Looked panicky and poor disposal. But hey that was just one game. The other thing is that if he can't make the midfield at junior level how is he going to make it at afl level. If he's going to be a back pocket might as well wait for late in the draft for a back pocket.

The other thing is why is everyone obsessed with mids? We haven't lost any mids. (Mitchell) Our forward line is a mess. I'm all for forwards and then a mid or two. I just don't think from the way we traded that we are obsessed with mids. Top mids gone by first pick and a reach for the second batch of mids. Subliminal message. Dylan Clarke.

I'm not a fan. Looked panicky and poor disposal. But hey that was just one game. The other thing is that if he can't make the midfield at junior level how is he going to make it at afl level. If he's going to be a back pocket might as well wait for late in the draft for a back pocket.

The other thing is why is everyone obsessed with mids? We haven't lost any mids. (Mitchell) Our forward line is a mess. I'm all for forwards and then a mid or two. I just don't think from the way we traded that we are obsessed with mids. Top mids gone by first pick and a reach for the second batch of mids. Subliminal message. Dylan Clarke.
It all starts in the midfield. And with this being a strong midfielders draft it's the perfect time to plan for a few years down the track.

Boak and gray turn 29 early next season and ebert 27 so we do need a future past these players.

There are reasons why he may have played outside the midfield at the Champs and in the All Stars game. It looked to me more like he was filling in a hole in the side as opposed to anything else.

The last genuine mid we drafted was Wines in 2012. Since then we've got a couple who look ok from the rookie list but may not make it. We've got White 30, Gray 29, Boak 28, Ebert 27, Hartlett 26. We've got an ageing midfield now and a midfield that has under performed the last two years. We need to replenish it.

Big fan of Drew, very much hoping we pick him up with 30. Definitely got inside mid traits, nice clean hands, good height, doesn't mind run and carry. Contrary what is often said about flankers etc, I think his time spent down back could actually benefit his midfield game. Good defensive pressure, and doesn't mind running the ball under pressure.

I feel worse about our list now! Aging under performing midfield, dysfunctional forward line with one kpf on the list, inexperienced defence and no $. We really need to get wingard into the midfield.

Could the fact that we are linked to Witherdon be seen as further confirmation that we might be losing Pittard next year? (along with trading next years first)

Certainly not on my wish list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scharenberg isn't a bad user of the ball by any stretch. Quite good by hand, and decent enough by foot with a bit of space. The main query with Scharenberg is whether he is going to be damaging enough - similar in idea but not player type of Lewis Taylor. Taylor finds a fair bit of the footy, can win a bit of it himself but just has no x-factor so doesn't really hurt teams at all. Scharenberg is better on the inside than Taylor but just lacks something that makes him stand out from the group and forces recruiters to take notice of him during games.

I really don't care about the SA factor though. In the last 6 or 7 years we've really only lost Jacobs to the go home factor - maybe Chaplin but he was more after a different club than to go back to Vic. In fact, it probably better suits us to let the SA boys go interstate and then try to get them to come to us a few years down the track using the come home factor.

Wishful thinking but;

#14 SPP, #17 Venables, #30 Bolton & #31 Scharenberg.

Would set our midfield up for years to come. A solid inside mid who is a contested ball winner & clean distributor to help Ollie, two impact mids capable of winning their own ball and exploding forward, and a pacy outside mid who simply oozes xfactor and could very well be the next Rioli.

Wishful thinking but;

#14 SPP, #17 Venables, #30 Bolton & #31 Scharenberg.

Would set our midfield up for years to come. A solid inside mid who is a contested ball winner & clean distributor to help Ollie, two impact mids capable of winning their own ball and exploding forward, and a pacy outside mid who simply oozes xfactor and could very well be the next Rioli.
Atley or Scharenberg?

The other thing is why is everyone obsessed with mids?

As Macca already pointed out , our midfield is aging , and we don't have many genuine young centre mids on the list.

My understanding is he played centre every week but was pushed out when it came to champs.

Since stewy has left does that mean we may get a delisted free agent.
I think if we don't upgrade someone off the rookie list that could happen.

IMO we'll upgrade Krakouer and rookie Eddy instead.

Krak still doesn't have a contract? Have we put an offer on the table as yet? Does Krak have interest elsewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back