2016 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geelong's selections: 24, 38, 42, 64, 72, 74

CatRiot who's in range for pick 24?
Really depends on what is best available, given our departures, we need another KPF, KPD, medium midfielder/forward, medium defender.

Usually the KPF's are drafted early, so someone like Kerr or Battle could slip to us with pick 24.

Witherden looks like a classy half back flanker that's been injured this season and probably is a top 15 pick that may slide to us, very composed ball user, well balanced player.

Hayward could be a bit of a freak as a medium forward, snagged a lot of goals in SANFL U18s, particularly when it counted, in finals.

Gallucci as a midfielder might be an ok option, sort of reminds me of STK midfielder Luke Dunstan but a tad bit quicker.

Having said that, I don't think its a particularly strong year for KPFs, but there are a few good KPDs like B Cox and G Logue.

If I was betting on it, I'd say Witherden might the one they may go after with pick 24, the injured local prospect that may slide.

If Stewart from the VFL is not selected by pick 64, then I dare say we will select him there or at 72. House for sure will be rookied is my best guess.

Pure_Ownage how many picks are GWS likely to make?

2016 draft picks: 2, 15, 37, 39, 45, 52, 55, 57, 58, 59, 60, 77, 109

How many spots could our 64 actually come in by? The 58-59th live pick?

As it stand they have about 6-7 list spots unless they delist more players so maybe 3-4 of the 50s picks will be passes. They do have 4 players uncontracted in d simpson downie barrett and mohr but i doubt they delist them all. With that and academy bids i reckon 64 72 and 74 will come in about 8-10 picks which helps us either match a bad for sam simpson or if we want to use a later pick for someone like tom stewart.

Without working it out in detail (CBF too time consuming) I'm thinking 64 might move up 10 spots between passses, rookie promotions and matched bids..

At the moment if everyone takes the minimum number of picks and no rookie promotions then there will be 60 players taken. If everyone fills up their list to 40 and takes no rookie promotions then their will be 76 picks taken.

Here is some footage on Will Hayward... Medium Forward. Quite fast, great hands, big kick, good defensive pressure. Took his opponent to the cleaners in this match.

Player comparison: Better version of Will Hoskin-Elliot. Maybe even the next Stevie J!

Here is some footage on Will Hayward... Medium Forward. Quite fast, great hands, big kick. Took his opponent to the cleaners in this match.

Player comparison: Better version of Will Hoskin-Elliot.

Yep would be hard to go past if he is there but one never knows who else will be there as well. Pretty much that WHE type .long kick I think.

Without working it out in detail (CBF too time consuming) I'm thinking 64 might move up 10 spots between passses, rookie promotions and matched bids..

At the moment if everyone takes the minimum number of picks and no rookie promotions then there will be 60 players taken. If everyone fills up their list to 40 and takes no rookie promotions then their will be 76 picks taken.

GWS are in a bit of a spot as they have so many late picks that they will need for academy but not the list spots to use them all (unless they delist some more players) as they really gutted their depth to fit Deledio under the cap. I would say they have to match a MaCraedie bid with Patfull and Marchbank gone (KPD is the one thing they don't have a heap of) and Setterfield will get bid first round and Mutch and Sproule probably 2nd round. But still I think a couple of 58-60 will be unused and with other academy bids I reckon 64 72 and 74 could come in to say 56 64 and 66.

It will be interesting to see what we do I assume 24 38 and 42 will be live picks on kids. I don't think Tom Stewart is going to last to the RD so if we are keen on him (we seem to be) we will need to use 64 or whatever it ends up at on him. I assume we will go with 38 on the senior list not 40 again partly to save salary cap but also because then if we put some mature guys on the rookie list it gives us the capacity for them to play early on next year like Ruggles did. In previous years this hasn't been an issue as we have always had a Vardy/Menzel/Cowan type on the LTI so we have been able to elevate a rookie whenever we wanted but as most of those guys are now either fit or gone we need a shorter senior list to keep that flexibility. If we did go to the draft with 34 on the senior list the other advantage is then we can use 2 of the 4th rounders (whichever we don't use on Stewart) to match any late bids on Sam Simpson (as we have the list spots open to match the picks) and then just pass on one or two picks at the end like we did last year.

We are at 34 now so if we elevate Ruggles (I assume we will although if we went with 38 he could stay on the rookie list and still be eligible to play seniors all year) we would need to delist at least one more player which I assume would be either Clark or Luxford. I assume Lonergan will be kept and Stanley must have re-signed by now and we know Menzel and Cowan have so that leaves only Clark and Luxford left uncontracted.

Anyone got any footage on Simpson (F/S) and are we 100% keen on him? Appears he is a midfielder, anyone care to describe what his style of play is like? maybe a player comparison?

I was looking at the Falcons list, how about Darcy the 201cm 113kg ruckman? Geez, a big fella for his age, 27 hitouts a game, could he be a sneaky chance to be drafted? If we lose Clark, along with Vardy and Read gone, maybe his a good rookie option?

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/geelong-falcons-2/

It will be interesting to see what we do I assume 24 38 and 42 will be live picks on kids. I don't think Tom Stewart is going to last to the RD so if we are keen on him (we seem to be) we will need to use 64 or whatever it ends up at on him. If we did go to the draft with 34 on the senior list the other advantage is then we can use 2 of the 4th rounders (whichever we don't use on Stewart) to match any late bids on Sam Simpson (as we have the list spots open to match the picks) and then just pass on one or two picks at the end like we did last year.

Very much hope we pick up Stewart, haven't seen Simpson so will rely on those who have, as to ability.

Did see Sean Darcy play, yes please.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Tom Stewart didn't test at the State combine, but McLachlan from the VFL Cats did, and he did ok, but nothing to write home about when comparing to the 17/18yos displayed at the National Combine.

http://websites.sportstg.com/nfnn/a...14516495&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=48546261

Tom stewart didnt test as he trained with the geelong senior squad during the finals and then had shoulder surgery for an injury he carried most of the season, but by all reports ge should be right for preseason.

Mclachlan didnt test as well as i thought he would in the beep test so should slide a bit (is mainly a rookie prospect anyway). I would like to know what will sexton runs for a beep test but i doubt we have that data.

rowan marshall tested not bad for a big fella

Him and mcinerney are both good depth ruck options that could play reasonably early. Part of the issue of releasing Clark is not knowing whether we will get a mature ish ruck in the draft-if we definitely will then you would move him on I think but if we delist him and then the mature ruck options get poached by other clubs in the draft it leaves us a bit thin.

Him and mcinerney are both good depth ruck options that could play reasonably early. Part of the issue of releasing Clark is not knowing whether we will get a mature ish ruck in the draft-if we definitely will then you would move him on I think but if we delist him and then the mature ruck options get poached by other clubs in the draft it leaves us a bit thin.

Looking at what the Dogs got away with , and what our two best rucks could produce in the finals... is depth really good enough? I agree we have two adequate types and Blitz. Should we go down the backup type or try to add someone with potential to go past them.

Very much hope we pick up Stewart, haven't seen Simpson so will rely on those who have, as to ability.

Darcy as a late pick or Rookie is not a bad option although Id prefer Olango. I have not see Simpson either on going by what other have seen , reported as a outside type with clever skills. Where he ranks is always difficult to gauge.

Here is what I would ideally like:
#24 Patrick Kerr 194cm KPF (oakleigh)
-if he is gone Battle from Dandenong will do. I would snap Griffin Logue up but he will definitely be gone.

#38 Jordan Galluci 183cm midfielder (Eastern)
-if he is gone I would strongly consider bidding on Mutch if the Giants don't match. Witherden will be gone but this is the sort of range I would punt on his injury if he is there.

#42 Jack Graham 183cm mid/HBF (North Adelaide)
-also am a fan of Will Drew if he is still around at this range and I like Sam Walker. Think Powell Pepper's kicking is better than people think and if you want a pure inside mid he is a good bet.

Assume say #64 #72 and #74 move forward to #57 #65 and #67.

#57 Tom Stewart 190cm defender (Geelong VFL/South Barwon)

#65 and #67 can be used to match any bids on Sam Simpson if not we take him with our last pick.
Depends what happens on draft night and how many list spots we have open obviously.

Would like to rookie Tom Atkins and Timm House (Geelong vfl) and a mature age ruck option of some sort we will have 3-5 rookie picks.

I like Darcy but I think whether his agility is good enough will be the question he is a lumberer and the game is starting to go against that sort of ruck a bit. But as a late draft prospect he has appeal.

Here is what I would ideally like:
#24 Patrick Kerr 194cm KPF (oakleigh)
-if he is gone Battle from Dandenong will do. I would snap Griffin Logue up but he will definitely be gone.

#38 Jordan Galluci 183cm midfielder (Eastern)
-if he is gone I would strongly consider bidding on Mutch if the Giants don't match. Witherden will be gone but this is the sort of range I would punt on his injury if he is there.

#42 Jack Graham 183cm mid/HBF (North Adelaide)
-also am a fan of Will Drew if he is still around at this range and I like Sam Walker. Think Powell Pepper's kicking is better than people think and if you want a pure inside mid he is a good bet.

Assume say #64 #72 and #74 move forward to #57 #65 and #67.

#57 Tom Stewart 190cm defender (Geelong VFL/South Barwon)

#65 and #67 can be used to match any bids on Sam Simpson if not we take him with our last pick.
Depends what happens on draft night and how many list spots we have open obviously.

Would like to rookie Tom Atkins and Timm House (Geelong vfl) and a mature age ruck option of some sort we will have 3-5 rookie picks.

I think Graham will be there at those picks for sure.. but I wonder if we have let Caddy go for D running , we will be more likely to add running power.

A Tom Williamson type who excelled at the Combine is the type I think we would look at around that pick
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-and-trade-watch.1119156/page-8#post-47203520

Looking at what the Dogs got away with , and what our two best rucks could produce in the finals... is depth really good enough? I agree we have two adequate types and Blitz. Should we go down the backup type or try to add someone with potential to go past them.

Ideally we get better than depth but rucks are a risk high in the draft so lets go late or rookie and see if we can develop one into a good player. I just want real ruck depth at least Blitz is a 2nd ruck not a first and I don't want to go back to the days of West/Walker pinch hitting types if we get injuries. With Kersten Vardy Read Lucey and probably Clark off the list I think we have room to spend one spot on a ruckman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back