2016 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh Battle looks like a Kersten type of replacement. At 192cm and 90kgs, he's probably a third tall, just like Kersten, might have the body to play seniors in his first season. He might slip to our pick 35. Kersten was a touted a top 20 pick, and slipped to us at 34, same could happen with Battle.
If we can wait til 17, Sam Hayes will be well worth the wait and we should do whatever it takes to get a young but excellent ruck prospect. Good enough to be drafted right now, but underage. Really tall, mobile, skilled,great goal sense, and of course, I am biased, an Eastern boy. Voted Most Improved in this year's U18 Comp.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-24/u18s-hayes-steers-vic-metro-to-victory-over-allies

Last edited:
If we can wait til 17, Sam Hayes will be well worth the wait and we should do whatever it takes to get a young but excellent ruck prospect. Good enough to be drafted right now, but underage. Really tall, mobile, skilled,great goal sense, and of course, I am biased, an Eastern boy. Voted Most Improved in this year's U18 Comp.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-24/u18s-hayes-steers-vic-metro-to-victory-over-allies

He looked very good at the champs.. but gee there was a lot of talent in that u17 game afl gf day.

Here's a hypothetical: if you could pick any three players from this year's draft, who would they be?

Is this the super model question... ? Considering our needs? So we have P1,P2,P3... The top three in CT phantom would fit in very neatly at Geelong
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-13/callum-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-october-edition

I have liked Ainsworth for a fair while TNT in a chappy size luchbox.. McGrath has speed from the backline .. McLuggage would add class and goal kicking.

To make it interesting out of his 11-30.. Kid in a lollie shop but On needs I would go English , Hayward , Sam Powell Pepper. I could have named 10 kids I like. Kerr, Logue ,even Rotham at 30 would be good.etc and the hard ones to really assess are Simpkin and Witherden. Simkpkin reads like we need up forward , and Witherden kicking etc from the backline , perhaps a query on his speed.

I'll add
Taranto- prototype modern day tall MF
Gallucci-athletic brainy footballer with exceptional agility and vertical leap. He brings martial arts fitness with this.
English. What we need if we could develop and keep him, an agile skilled KF/Ruck.

I'll add
Taranto- prototype modern day tall MF
Gallucci-athletic brainy footballer with exceptional agility and vertical leap. He brings martial arts fitness with this.
English. What we need if we could develop and keep him, an agile skilled KF/Ruck.

As I said.. lollie shop. As much as some like to criticise Wells... right now id say it would be tough to not be happy with most of the players in CT's top 30..yet when we look back in a few years , as sure as sin sells soap there will be some busts.
Venebles looked good at key times , Berry is good potential Capt , Bolton an X factor type ..on and on. And thats just the tope 30... there are more not in that group .. Drew, Mutch , Poholke , Ridley , Allison... if we could Allison it would be a greta fit but he QLD academy

Not sure why Jake Comitogianni hasn't been mentioned in any top 20/30s. Played a full season in the SANFL Reserves for Woodville West Torrens and ended up winning the reserves Magarey Medal.

Not sure why Jake Comitogianni hasn't been mentioned in any top 20/30s. Played a full season in the SANFL Reserves for Woodville West Torrens and ended up winning the reserves Magarey Medal.

That highlights clip doesn't leave much of an impression. Somethings not right with the way he kicks it. Seems to make quick decisions around congestion which is a plus.

That highlights clip doesn't leave much of an impression. Somethings not right with the way he kicks it. Seems to make quick decisions around congestion which is a plus.

I don't know for sure but I'd say he would have averaged almost 30 disposals in SANFL reserves this year. Had one game where he had ~45.

I don't know for sure but I'd say he would have averaged almost 30 disposals in SANFL reserves this year. Had one game where he had ~45.

I should expand, I wasn't saying the player is lackluster, just the two minute video itself. Two minutes of footage isn't enough to make a judgment, the comments on him were jut my first impressions rather than anything definitive. But if you look into comments on his year, one of things that came up was poor disposal during the championships. Which is probably why he isn't being talked up since that's when there is the most eye balls watching these kids.

80% of the time these U18 clips are of horrible quality and don't really show anything about the player.

He in a way seems a moneyball type pick... if that clip is representative. His stats probably read better than the way he looks. Id like to see his beep and running results from a combine id bet he does alright in them.

If we're interested in brothers & sons of (and I've read enough of this board to know people are ;)) why not extended the net wider?

I'm surprised people aren't making over noise about Liam Mackie from the Bays.

He is Andrew's cousin (and another Sacred Heart boy).

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/a3bcf7be9fa2fb2591421fc6d8a2fd29

The 186cm, 73kg backman will undergo physical and mental tests for AFL clubs at the state screening at Wayville today. Anthony Goodrich, who coached both Mackies at Sacred Heart, says there are plenty of parallels.

“Liam’s a similar player, similar build, a little bit taller but very slight,” Goodrich said.

“He reads the game extra well and is a beautiful kick so they’re similar in a lot of ways.”

Geelong has been keeping tabs on the Plympton junior this season. The Cats and their recruiting guru, Stephen Wells, have made a habit of drafting smokies from SA.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/a3bcf7be9fa2fb2591421fc6d8a2fd29

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect our earlier picks in this year's draft will be best available... I wouldn't be surprised if we rookie House if Vardy and Kersten leave.

And, I think, he can play a bit. The worry is he didn't he get a State Combine berth.

Probably another who is battling against height bias.

The 186cm, 73kg backman will undergo physical and mental tests for AFL clubs at the state screening at Wayville today. Anthony Goodrich, who coached both Mackies at Sacred Heart, says there are plenty of parallels.

“Liam’s a similar player, similar build, a little bit taller but very slight,” Goodrich said.

“He reads the game extra well and is a beautiful kick so they’re similar in a lot of ways.”

Geelong has been keeping tabs on the Plympton junior this season. The Cats and their recruiting guru, Stephen Wells, have made a habit of drafting smokies from SA.

The more Sacred Heart boys the better!!

The more Sacred Heart boys the better!!

One only has to see some of the names being mentioned to know Wells will have no trouble finding a couple of late pick johnny's that are almost unknown come draft night.

Well also has a history for find those that have been known but passed over. Willie Rioli for instance.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/26ec26f5ba4e3ed1b5f87c463bb21977

WILLIE Rioli, the cousin of Hawthorn superstar Cyril, was among those to impress at South Australia's NAB AFL Draft Combine on Saturday.

Rioli ran 2.98sec for the 20m sprint and showed improvement in his beep test, registering 13.2. The small forward/midfielder lost 16kg in the pre-season to put himself in contention to be picked up by an AFL club.

The 21-year-old booted four goals for the SANFL in the representative clash against the VFL in May.

West Adelaide's Conor Noonan looms as the most likely of those in attendance on Saturday to end up on an AFL list and he was among the best performers. He took out the beep test with 14.4 and also did well in the agility test.

Noonan is an outside midfielder who stands 182cm and shows smarts up forward. An injury-riddled year meant he played only one game in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, despite having been desperate to show recruiters what he could do.

Liam Mackie, whose cousin Andrew has won three premierships with Geelong, was another to show his wares at the state combine.

He registered 13.3 in the beep test and 3.04sec in the 20m sprint.

At 186cm, Mackie is a half-back who reads the play well and provides accurate kicking from defence. His wiry frame is yet another attribute he shares with Andrew.

Others to stand out were Dylan Whimpress, who ran the 20m sprint in 2.91sec. At 188cm, the medium defender combines speed and a high leap, and can also play forward.

Tye Bedford (a speedy wingman) and Peter Ladhams (ruckman) tested well in the running vertical jump.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-16/willie-rioli-conor-noonan-impress-at-sa-draft-combine

One only has to see some of the names being mentioned to know Wells will have no trouble finding a couple of late pick johnny's that are almost unknown come draft night.

Well also has a history for find those that have been known but passed over. Willie Rioli for instance.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/26ec26f5ba4e3ed1b5f87c463bb21977

WILLIE Rioli, the cousin of Hawthorn superstar Cyril, was among those to impress at South Australia's NAB AFL Draft Combine on Saturday.

Rioli ran 2.98sec for the 20m sprint and showed improvement in his beep test, registering 13.2. The small forward/midfielder lost 16kg in the pre-season to put himself in contention to be picked up by an AFL club.

The 21-year-old booted four goals for the SANFL in the representative clash against the VFL in May.

West Adelaide's Conor Noonan looms as the most likely of those in attendance on Saturday to end up on an AFL list and he was among the best performers. He took out the beep test with 14.4 and also did well in the agility test.

Noonan is an outside midfielder who stands 182cm and shows smarts up forward. An injury-riddled year meant he played only one game in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, despite having been desperate to show recruiters what he could do.

Liam Mackie, whose cousin Andrew has won three premierships with Geelong, was another to show his wares at the state combine.

He registered 13.3 in the beep test and 3.04sec in the 20m sprint.

At 186cm, Mackie is a half-back who reads the play well and provides accurate kicking from defence. His wiry frame is yet another attribute he shares with Andrew.

Others to stand out were Dylan Whimpress, who ran the 20m sprint in 2.91sec. At 188cm, the medium defender combines speed and a high leap, and can also play forward.

Tye Bedford (a speedy wingman) and Peter Ladhams (ruckman) tested well in the running vertical jump.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-16/willie-rioli-conor-noonan-impress-at-sa-draft-combine

The Bedford looks like he could be something special, but he'd be a project player ala Brad Hartman.

So who is sending Wellsy an email with their draft tips this season?! I'm not so sure this draft year, seems to be a pretty even draft year, with less stand-outs, and a quite a few around the same mark that could be good players.

Now that we have freed some salary space, and upgraded our draft picks, could we get someone like Gallucci? Seems to find the pill, is quick, good on both feet, agile, good footy brain.

I'm just hoping Wellsy doesnt reach with our early picks. We have to go best available. Another midfielder, KPF, KPD, medium defender.

11 players gone so far this off-season. 2 players in during trade bi-week.

That means we will be going for 9 players in the draft and rookie draft. Plenty of youth to inject into the squad.

I'd say our earlier picks on best available youth at the draft. Then our later picks perhaps on Stewart and House. Stewart I suspect will be drafted, and House rookie drafted.

I really hope Wellsy doesn't reach with our early picks.

Now that we have freed some salary space, and upgraded our draft picks, could we get someone like Gallucci? Seems to find the pill, is quick, good on both feet, agile, good footy brain.

I'm just hoping Wellsy doesnt reach with our early picks. We have to go best available. Another midfielder, KPF, KPD, medium defender.

The G spot for the G man... that Vdubs pick... but who knows we can only pick whos available. Maybe 23 times McLuggage gets passed over.

The G spot for the G man... that Vdubs pick... but who knows we can only pick whos available. Maybe 23 times McLuggage gets passed over.
Geez you'd love McLuggage to slip, but probably a 0.2% chance. Someone that might slip to 24 is forwards like Kerr or Battle. When I think about it, we need better forwards options than what Caddy can provide with that pick.

Geez you'd love McLuggage to slip, but probably a 0.2% chance. Someone that might slip to 24 is forwards like Kerr or Battle. When I think about it, we need better forwards options than what Caddy can provide with that pick.
Im being sarcastic as is the vibe I have today. McLuggage has zero chance of slipping. ZERO.
But at 24... there will be players available that some clubs rank much earlier than that...especially this year. Odds on Wells will say we got someone rated at 12 at 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back