2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

I kinda have mixed emotions about rocky playing a ressies game. If he is right to go then why. But surely a ressies game at 75% workload wouldnt hurt.

Probably should have just had another intra club. Pretty sure Saints are doing exactly that after their shocking performance over the weekend.

Rarely does a draft go by where a club doesn't pick up a couple mids. Right now i would be more concerned about who is our next ruckman after Stefan? Do we need to draft another kid who will hold down a key position in defence with Merrett out of picture in next 2 years.
I wouldn't be drafting any ruckmen unless there's some big kids who slide towards the end of the draft or rookie draft (if it still exists). Ruckmen tend to take longer to develop and either we or they don't seem to have the patience. We used pick 4 on Leuey and pick 8 on Longer. The only ruckman taken high in the draft in my memory that has delivered is Nic Naitanui.
Ruckmen are regularly traded and traded for - they're certainly not the most valuable commodity on an AFL list. There's always a slightly expendable ruckman when can be convinced to join a club.

I wouldn't be drafting any ruckmen unless there's some big kids who slide towards the end of the draft or rookie draft (if it still exists). Ruckmen tend to take longer to develop and either we or they don't seem to have the patience. We used pick 4 on Leuey and pick 8 on Longer. The only ruckman taken high in the draft in my memory that has delivered is Nic Naitanui.
Ruckmen are regularly traded and traded for - they're certainly not the most valuable commodity on an AFL list. There's always a slightly expendable ruckman when can be convinced to join a club.
Understand your comments but you also have to take into account our need to use picks in the draft for academy kids now and trying to balance using picks for trades. The league has shifted in its thinking pretty well much across the board in relation to drafting rucks and using those later picks to draft them. There are a couple from WA that are on the radar and also I'm not sure if Ballendean is a true KPF and could be someone who is a ruckman. All in all I do think that getting another Ruckman is imperative especially if we draft one and they can take a number of years to develop.

We could always target a home grown talent back to Queensland. Mabior Chol looks like his going to be a talented player. Maybe let Richmond develop him and then bring him back with the go home factor.

We could always target a home grown talent back to Queensland. Mabior Chol looks like his going to be a talented player. Maybe let Richmond develop him and then bring him back with the go home factor.
Or Hunter at Adelaide or Buzza at Geelong. There are plenty and one thing Qld does produce is ruckmen. I 100% agree on taking them late or in the rookie draft, they take years to develop (Martin, Mumford) or the ones who are good at a young age are injury prone (Kreuzer) because it takes a toll playing ruck.

Dean Cox rookie draft, Sandilands rookie draft, Mike Pyke etc.

I understand there is a kid at BBC who is in the academy Pratt? 6'9 basketball background but apparently very good athlete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showed a (sensible) Pies friend our fixture for the first 13 rounds......His reaction? "holy s..., that tough a draw should only be for reigning premiers to face, to bring them back to the pack"

He had no idea we had such a hard draw, and thought it was pretty rough to give us one like it.

w
Showed a (sensible) Pies friend our fixture for the first 13 rounds......His reaction? "holy s..., that tough a draw should only be for reigning premiers to face, to bring them back to the pack"

He had no idea we had such a hard draw, and thought it was pretty rough to give us one like it.
which makes me wonder why we get it. Why would the AFL give u such a ridiculously hard start to the season to a team that came 2nd last and has the youngest team in the competition and that team has had young players leaving every year?

wouldn't have minded a carlton, essendon, st.kilda then the sunshine stoush as a first 4 rounds draw. agree with you Keevo momentum is huge within games and a season. i would add confidence to that as well, big factor individually and team wise.

The Guardian season preview.

2016 AFL season preview: Carlton and Brisbane

2015 ladder position: 17th

2016 ladder range prediction: 16-18th

To figure that Leppitsch is on borrowed time now I suppose you’d have to be comfortable with a number of conclusions, including but not limited to the following: (a) that someone else would have done and can do better with Brisbane’s list in his time; (b) that Leppitsch is incapable of turning it around over the lengthy period now required to rebuild and consolidate the current list; (c) that Brisbane’s infamous problems with player retention wouldn’t have occurred under a different coach (Michael Voss couldn’t keep them either, remember); and (d) that Leppitsch is tactically inept.

And how can you even judge him on the basis of pure coaching ability when his available resources have taken so many hits? Brisbane’s list management has been awful for a decade, this much we know, but they are now at least trying to rectify this shortcoming.

Into the fold this year comes highly regarded player welfare manager Craig Lambert, whose calm presence can’t hurt. Lambert’s job is also that much easier now that the Lions’ ranks of home-grown players have swelled to 10, more than double the figure of a few years back. Yet the commodity that Leppitsch still needs is precisely the one he’s unlikely to be granted: time.

The overwhelming positive of Brisbane’s off-season was the addition with pick two in the national draft of tall forward prospect Josh Schache, who’ll wear the No23 of both his late father Laurence and his new coach. Unfortunately, Schache’s addition to the squad is just a segue to the problems that need addressing here. Put simply, Brisbane have two all-consuming weaknesses; they’re regularly slaughtered in contested possession (have been for years, in fact) and they’re desperately lacking in tall marking options up forward.

FacebookTwitterPinterest
Josh Schache has big boots to fill in the Gabba goal square once dominated by Jonathan Brown. Photograph: Chris Hyde/Getty Images
The first problem was partially addressed last season with the recruitment of Allen Christensen, Dayne Beams and Mitch Robinson last year, though neither of the latter pair kick with anything close to elite efficiency, which compounds the issue of failing to find whichever forward targets have actually presented well. Newly-arrived on-baller Tom Bell provides much the same dilemma; admirably tough at the ball, dodgy with his boot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back