2016 QAFA B Central

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair to Widty he's almost 100 of course his goal kicking numbers aren't going to increase year on year
100 that's stiff? Ha ha I would say Widt has kicked as many points as he has goals this season. Suitor is the better target up there.

Redcliffe do it in the QAFA A. Stack the ressies, not so great in the seniors

are the Sandagate twos really that bad? I might get a chance to play some QAFL level football after all
Check out the results. That will tell u. There ones aren't much better.

The situation at Sandgate with this group in the 3rds is actually dissapointing and something the club needs to fix. They're a group that trains separately, plays a full squad each Friday but then nobody ever plays or even comes to run water on Saturday's with the reserve grade. Often this season the Ressies have been short and relying on players from the Masters and recently a number of 15 & 16 year olds from the U17 group to make up the numbers. The young lads are loving the challenge but really their pathway to senior footy should be through the 3rds or the colts rather than late notice call ups to QAFL reserves to make up the numbers.

The real tragedy is quite a number of these 3rds are well respected long time club men who really should know better and demand a better club culture from the rest of the group.

As for the ones, well, they are a very young group, but hopefully building something special. They have plenty of starters that should still be playing colts and even young Cody Stackleberg who is still an U16 lining up every week, it's no wonder they fade and have scores blow out at the end of games. They'll get there though, and it won't be through anything that the 2016 Sandgate 3rds have done for them.

The situation at Sandgate with this group in the 3rds is actually dissapointing and something the club needs to fix. They're a group that trains separately, plays a full squad each Friday but then nobody ever plays or even comes to run water on Saturday's with the reserve grade. Often this season the Ressies have been short and relying on players from the Masters and recently a number of 15 & 16 year olds from the U17 group to make up the numbers. The young lads are loving the challenge but really their pathway to senior footy should be through the 3rds or the colts rather than late notice call ups to QAFL reserves to make up the numbers.

The real tragedy is quite a number of these 3rds are well respected long time club men who really should know better and demand a better club culture from the rest of the group.

As for the ones, well, they are a very young group, but hopefully building something special. They have plenty of starters that should still be playing colts and even young Cody Stackleberg who is still an U16 lining up every week, it's no wonder they fade and have scores blow out at the end of games. They'll get there though, and it won't be through anything that the 2016 Sandgate 3rds have done for them.
From what I have seen, all the thirds teams seem to have that structure. It goes both ways though. How many ones and two's players have gone to watch the thirds play or gone to help out the thirds on gameday ?? And what has the club done to bring the group together, or done to have the coaches work together?? You can bet absolutely zero.

Redcliffe do it in the QAFA A. Stack the ressies, not so great in the seniors

are the Sandagate twos really that bad? I might get a chance to play some QAFL level football after all
Redcliffe seniors would flog their reserves by a big margin. old blokes with skill look great running around witches hats and gumbies, reserve grade comp is very weak, massive gap between senior and reserve grade standard, speed and fitness being the key

I think it is a bit much to be asking people to back up playing and/or run water week in week out for the reserves the reason players play 3rds is because generally Saturday is off limits for footy family work etc. In a perfect world we would all like to be running around on a Saturday afternoon but guess what time with family is more important or putting a meal on the table working...I'm not sure having a dig at long time Sandgate guys is going to help matters...The plain facts are your club is not good enough for the level at the moment and rolling out with some 3rds guys is still going to produce the same result...I know plenty of the guys personally that you are talking about and they copped plenty of years of getting beat in the reserves and seniors and happened to win premierships at the end of their careers...They don't owe anybody at that club anything...They were there when the club got the boot from Lemke Rd and helped keep the club going...Without a lot of those guys Sandgate wouldn't even be around...

Just did a quick look through the QAFL reserves roster and counted 8 players who have backed up from the 3rds. While that's probably on par with all the other 3rds sides its a long way off 'nobody ever plays' tag you seem to have given

I don't understand the concept of 3rds if they're not true 3rds.

Why not have a split if you're going to train separately etc?

We have plenty of guys who could get a game in the Magpies 2s but prefer to play for us because we dontc really train and due to weekend commitments. But they would flog us if we played them

If it gets to a point where the 3rds are actually better than the 2s, you've probably got a cultural issue at the club imo.

I don't understand the concept of 3rds if they're not true 3rds.

Why not have a split if you're going to train separately etc?

We have plenty of guys who could get a game in the Magpies 2s but prefer to play for us because we dontc really train and due to weekend commitments. But they would flog us if we played them

If it gets to a point where the 3rds are actually better than the 2s, you've probably got a cultural issue at the club imo.
U can't blame a 3rds side for a QAFL set ups lack of numbers ect, as it's been said before hundreds of times, some blokes r happy playing Friday's for commitments and some just don't want that train 2-3 times a week plus games. Most of the Hawks are blokes towards end of there career and believe it or not most of the others are in the 2nd 3rd year of actually playing AFL. What are everyone's thoughts on the games this week? Ha ha, top of table clash should be a Rippa, will guarantee a top 2 finish the winner.

Its just an easy cop out to say that the 3rds are hurting the culture at the club. Easy to forget rob dickfos taking 15 blokes with him up the bruce highway to moreton bay when he was shown the door midway through 2014 when he lost a small number of the playing group. They have Much bigger problems that a few guys in their 30s deciding to play 3rds...

The question/theory seems to be that its not just a few blokes, and that the 3rds are actually the 2nds.

There is a difference between having a few older guys playing 3rds who still have a bit of ability, and a 3rds side that can actually beat a 2nds side.

Sandgate Seniors have a real crack from what I have seen, they just struggle to close out games. Is their fitness up to scratch, because they have plenty of players with plenty of ability.

I played against Sandgate 2s a few weeks back to help out the Magpies when they were short.

I can't remember who said it, but there was a claim here by someone that their 3s would beat their 2s and someone said they were kidding themselves.

Having played both, i can assure you that all of the top 5 in this comp would easily beat Sandgate QAFL 2s.

What is the story with having a 3s better than the 2s? I can understand some good players playing 3s due to other committments etc, but their 2s were horrendous and had at least 3 blokes that would be pushing 50.

It's quite sad really isn't it. I reckon there's a handful of blokes in the Sandgate 3rds who are just playing there because there's a chance for a flag, where as the seniors and ressies are obviously no chance. I don't believe for a second that all of those blokes playing on Friday nights have family and work commitments on Saturdays either. You would think the President should be setting the bar and playing 2's rather than rely on players from masters and colts to plug the holes...bit selfish if you ask me.

You would think the President should be setting the bar and playing 2's rather than rely on players from masters and colts to plug the holes...bit selfish if you ask me.

Hang on, what? The President of the club plays in the 3's - but is capable of playing at a higher level??

Talk about setting standards and culture! Probably the same President that gave Rob Dickfos the boot, which wasn't the wisest move if you talk to people in the know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on, what? The President of the club plays in the 3's - but is capable of playing at a higher level??

Talk about setting standards and culture! Probably the same President that gave Rob Dickfos the boot, which wasn't the wisest move if you talk to people in the know.
Don't forget he is nearly 40

I'm assuming Widt is in his mid 30's, which you'd imagine if it wasn't for the club having a 3rd's team in the first place, he wouldn't be playing at all with his Presidential duties, or am I missing something?

I'm assuming Widt is in his mid 30's, which you'd imagine if it wasn't for the club having a 3rd's team in the first place, he wouldn't be playing at all with his Presidential duties, or am I missing something?
He is 38, u would be correct with your thoughts.

Forget about Widt and the other older blokes playing ressies, they are completely entitled to their semi retirement, they've done their time putting the clubs best interests first on the field. There seems to be others involved putting this team before the rest of the club. It's dissapointing.

As for players backing for a second game or running water etc, that's not what's needed. However those that get overlooked for selection in the 3rds on Friday night for one reason or another have rarely been available for Saturday duties. Shouldn't this selection thing work the other way around?

What are everyone's tips this week? Some big games UQ v Sandgate, CP v Ferny for finals birth. How u looking Major? Big bag from u wrap it up

Forget about Widt and the other older blokes playing ressies, they are completely entitled to their semi retirement, they've done their time putting the clubs best interests first on the field. There seems to be others involved putting this team before the rest of the club. It's dissapointing.

As for players backing for a second game or running water etc, that's not what's needed. However those that get overlooked for selection in the 3rds on Friday night for one reason or another have rarely been available for Saturday duties. Shouldn't this selection thing work the other way around?

It's a bit much to be backing up on Saturday after playing Friday.

But the 3's should be short and topped up by Masters, not the bloody 2's !

No doubt there are some people that can't play Saturday, but unlikely thats the case for a majority.

It's like any footy club 1s into 2's into 3's.

He is 38, u would be correct with your thoughts.

I love that you say you are a "Mt Gravatt boy", yet know ages of players, have commented on Sandgate all year and are clearly a Sandgate player. Hahaha. Not one post on Mt Gravatt either I'm guessing. Seems odd a guy just had a mate or two at a lower league club and gets that involved he knows the ins and outs of the place, and feels the need to post on a forum regularly about a club he isn't even part of.

What are everyone's tips this week? Some big games UQ v Sandgate, CP v Ferny for finals birth. How u looking Major? Big bag from u wrap it up

Goals mean nothing to me mate. I have the easiest job on the ground, take grabs and kick straight. I'm happy not to get a kick if we get the win. Won't be an easy game we havnt ever beaten the Ferny boys. Always a tough contest so I look forward to it.

Troy Moncur is 38
Kent Abey is 35

#justsayin

Kent Abey is a deadset legend of Morningside and Queensland footy. To try and compare anybody to him is a hard ask. Not to many Kents going around on and off the field a champion!!

Its just an easy cop out to say that the 3rds are hurting the culture at the club. Easy to forget rob dickfos taking 15 blokes with him up the bruce highway to moreton bay when he was shown the door midway through 2014 when he lost a small number of the playing group. They have Much bigger problems that a few guys in their 30s deciding to play 3rds...

How are those 15 blokes faring in that comp? Moreton Bay are last, one win. To go with last years spoon. Rob Dickfos is a myth coach, everyone says he is a gun but what's his actual win/loss history over his senior coaching career? Mayne were always last or there abouts, Sandgate won the spoon the year he was sacked and moreton bay have a couple of spoons now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back