2016 QAFA B Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah mate #4 certainly could play. Jimboomba with an overall win in their Cardinal Cup winning over the Warwick team by 90 points. Not bad considering they didn't make the final last year.

Morningside
Zillmere
Ipswich Cats
Sandgate
Collingwood Park
Kenmore
Ferny Grove
Woodsmen
Mayne
Jimboomba
UQ
Yeronga
Coorparoo

I watched Collingwood park play Sandgate in a prac game on Friday night just gone. Was a solid contest, Sandgate look to be very quick and some new big bodies. They had a really Big ruckman about 6'7-8. Seemed to have a few out too like Widt Suitor. Sandgate came out hard and were 6-7 goals to 1 in first and CP fought back and looked good in patches. Pretty scrappy overall game for a first hit out u would expect, would say CP will be same as last year possibly a little better and Sangate will be top 4. Sandgate won by 3-4goals in the end, played in good spirits. Umpiring not the best but u expect that at that level, brought Sandgate down to CP level I think as umpires kept them in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably meant Ipswich, but is not surprising really that they aren't in it.

Fair call, forgot about them having a 3rds side. Think they are struggling to get 2 x sides in QAFA A let alone another 3rds side?

In saying that I think most clubs are battling numbers for 2 sides in QAFA A.

Fair call, forgot about them having a 3rds side. Think they are struggling to get 2 x sides in QAFA A let alone another 3rds side?

In saying that I think most clubs are battling numbers for 2 sides in QAFA A.

You get that vibe through reading the other forum don't you? Is there a solution out there? Would aligning Junior clubs to a Senior club (who don't have juniors) assist in some way?

You'd hate to see the scenario where there's more clubs interested in the QAFA (B) 1 team format (Be it a Fri night or Sat arvo comp..... or both) than the QAFA (A) 2 team version.

I get the feeling AFLQ might be suprised by the challenge clubs face out there in attracting/retaining players from year to year. Not to mention the logistics faced with 2 teams on match day.

It's a chicken and egg problem though.

Clubs feel they need to fee revenue from having 2 sides to stay afloat, so do everything they can to field two sides and stay in QAFA A. However, having only one side also lowers your cost base significantly, so the lost fee revenue should be covered.

I reckon both amateur comps would be better served having no reserves in either of them, and the split simply being Friday or Saturday footy.

You would probably find that a majority of 'thirds' sides would play Friday, and most 'senior' sides would play Saturday with a few minor exceptions.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure the clubs with heaps of numbers would disagree!

It's a chicken and egg problem though.

Clubs feel they need to fee revenue from having 2 sides to stay afloat, so do everything they can to field two sides and stay in QAFA A. However, having only one side also lowers your cost base significantly, so the lost fee revenue should be covered.

I reckon both amateur comps would be better served having no reserves in either of them, and the split simply being Friday or Saturday footy.

You would probably find that a majority of 'thirds' sides would play Friday, and most 'senior' sides would play Saturday with a few minor exceptions.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure the clubs with heaps of numbers would disagree!

I think you are probably right sad to say Thommo as I think that's the way it is heading for both a Friday & Saturday one team comps.

To support revenue maybe they could have cluster rounds so one club hosts 2-3 games in a weekend so it helps with revenue and the rounds are rotated so each club gets 2 or 3 of that type of set up throughout the year which still equates to 6 or 9 home games by means of revenue?

That way then all clubs that have 2 teams go into a comp that is similar to the QAFA North & South comps but with all teams in together and graded on ability to start with and then promotion/ relegation with 2 x divisions.

That way the strong North & South clubs are in one comp and the rest in the lower division.

Would be far more competitive and would mean a bit more travel but so what.

Again just my personal thoughts!

Every year its seems some clubs lose a lot of players and it's impossible to replace them in such a short period of time.
It's inevitable that there will be more one team clubs. There is simply not enough players comming through the ranks.
The aflq needs to ask why are so many kids dropping out from the 16 to 19 year old age group.
All clubs pay big money to play in any competition. On top of that you have pay for umpires or find your own. Clubs have to maintain their lights and grounds. Keep clubhouses up to standard and every other job that comes up.
The aflq do a draw and arrange finals. ( clubs have to pay to have finals at thier ground. )
It seems to me your not getting value for your dollar.
Meanwhile big clubs can bend rules poach players and make outrageous promises to kids to get them to leave thier local club.
It's not a level playing field that's for sure.
It seems to be a huge franchise fee for not much in return.
If it was private enterprise you would leave that franchise and go it alone.
It would make financial sense to do so.
Ok that can't happen yet but it would be nice if the afl treated thier franchisees with some respect.
Reduce the cost of entering a team or teams and free up some money for clubs to pay bills outside aflq.
Help with the youth football so clubs can get thier juniors comming through.
The writing is on the wall blind feddy can see it.
So yes there needs to be a split competition and it needs to be done soon.
I said it last year and I'll back those words. This is the fastest growing competition in Brisbane.
For many different reasons it has been made so.
So good luck with bashing your head against a wall and expecting someone to listen.

So apart from Jimboomba playing in a round robin comp, has there been any practice matches for this league? I know it's social and relaxed and all, but surely someone's decided it wouldn't hurt having a run.

Jimboomba are playing Moorooka this Saturday also. Will be interesting to see how that one goes.

Rumour has it there could be an entertaining game on the Northside on Friday night with the Zillmere Eagles playing the Naru Allstars...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back