2016 QAFA B Central

Remove this Banner Ad

If Zillmere had all the names on their listed teamsheet, then thats a good win.

What happened in the Morningside game? Appears if the Siders kicked straight it would have been a close one

Sandgate beating Zillmere is a big statement !!

looked to be pretty close judging by scores at each break.
3 pts
8 pts
scores level at 3/4 time

Sandgate a bit more disciplined and not panicky closing out games?

Looking at Zillmere and Woodsmen in particular, I don't think either side would want to be close at 3/4 time with the age of most of their players.

They're not going to win games on the back of fitness, and need to get the job done early!

What happened in the Morningside game? Appears if the Siders kicked straight it would have been a close one

The score was probably a reflection of the game to be honest.

They have some very good midfielders and 3 good tall forwards who were hard to match up on. You could be mistaken for thinking they kicked extremely straight, while we butchered it. However, in reality many of our behinds were probably rushed through or scrubby kicks from the pocket, whereas almost all the Woodsmen goals were from marks pretty much straight in front. #12, #13 and #25 had the ball kicked to them alot, and its hard to stop them taking grabs - especially #13 who used his body well. Then #27 completely dominated us through the middle of the ground.

We did get the ball going forward a fair bit in the 2nd half, and the Woodsmen talent certainly falls in the middle to forward part of the ground - but they did enough to stop us having any easy shots and good entries. I also got the impression they took the foot off the pedal a bit late in the game.

From our experience in this comp so far, the Woodsmen didn't seem like they has as much depth as the Sandgate team we played last week, but their best players are much better if that makes sense? Looking forward to playing the other higher rated teams in weeks to come.

The score was probably a reflection of the game to be honest.

They have some very good midfielders and 3 good tall forwards who were hard to match up on. You could be mistaken for thinking they kicked extremely straight, while we butchered it. However, in reality many of our behinds were probably rushed through or scrubby kicks from the pocket, whereas almost all the Woodsmen goals were from marks pretty much straight in front. #12, #13 and #25 had the ball kicked to them alot, and its hard to stop them taking grabs - especially #13 who used his body well. Then #27 completely dominated us through the middle of the ground.

We did get the ball going forward a fair bit in the 2nd half, and the Woodsmen talent certainly falls in the middle to forward part of the ground - but they did enough to stop us having any easy shots and good entries. I also got the impression they took the foot off the pedal a bit late in the game.

From our experience in this comp so far, the Woodsmen didn't seem like they has as much depth as the Sandgate team we played last week, but their best players are much better if that makes sense? Looking forward to playing the other higher rated teams in weeks to come.

There's a bit of man love for #27 tbh..... he knows it!! ;)

guy with the beard, whatever number he was. I swear he was wearing #13, but if he wasn't - thats who I mean

I always mentally note the number of good opposition players, so maybe 13 was good too - just in a different position.

guy with the beard, whatever number he was. I swear he was wearing #13, but if he wasn't - thats who I mean

I always mentally note the number of good opposition players, so maybe 13 was good too - just in a different position.
There's a lot of good players in that side mate. It'd be like trying to remember the lotto numbers.

Collingwood Park over Yeronga
Ferny Grove over Coorparoo
Mayne over Ipswich
UQ over Morningside
Sandgate over Jimboomba
Zillmere over Woodsmen

Zillmere and the Woodsmen being the game of the round obviously

Happened to be at Sandgate tonite watching my kids and stayed behind to watch the first bit of the seniors. I was hooked by about the 3 minute mark and the missus got to take the kids home while dad stayed behind. Amazing, intense, physical encounter played at manic speed. game slowed down after first quarter, but lost little of the intensity.
The little (bald) bulldozer in the middle for Jimboomba was sensational as was the "man bun" ruckman. Sandgate kept chipping away, well served by their big bodies at both ends contesting and clearing space. Game could have gone either way, second half was a dead set slog, but really good passages from both sides.
I reckon both camps take great credit for an intense game played in great spirit with only 1 or 2 minor skirmishes - 1 resulted in the worst free kick ever seen, (not totally sure what it was for but if it was for a head pat, disgraceful!) Other than that the umps went pretty well, especially the 'more mature' one - elite walking and standing still skills!
And then the final few minutes - first a goal to Jimboomba to take them a few points clear and a last minute dash forward by Sandgate and a great mark under pressure at the top of the goal square (I think that little bulldozer was in the contest but couldn't quite out body the bloke who was about 2 and a half feet taller!!) Bit of controversy about the goal, dunno what took them so long to work it out, looked pretty clear from the back row of the bar!!
From what I've gathered reading this site, no-one will enjoy playing either of these sides - physical, intense and relentless. A great advert for local footy.

^ good review. But why make up a story that you are some random dad when you are clearly a Jimboomba player or coach ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ good review. But why make up a story that you are some random dad when you are clearly a Jimboomba player or coach ?
Probaley because he ain't the coach and described it how it was great contest between two sides that could have gone either way in the end they won and deserved the points but I'm sure their would be sore body's from both sides

well beaten by a pretty impressive UQ outfit on the weekend.

All due respect to Sandgate and Sherwood, but UQ are the best side we have played I think. Definitely fit and have 22 contributors, without any passengers. While I felt we lost to Sherwood in particular, on the strength of 5 or 6 players - Sandgate much the same, but perhaps a little bit deeper through their 22.

UQ were quick, hard at it and tough to stop. They really move the ball quickly, but have a bit of size about them to clean up any turnovers and force the issue. Good side.

All due respect to Sandgate and Sherwood, but UQ are the best side we have played I think. Definitely fit and have 22 contributors, without any passengers. While I felt we lost to Sherwood in particular, on the strength of 5 or 6 players - Sandgate much the same, but perhaps a little bit deeper through their 22.

UQ were quick, hard at it and tough to stop. They really move the ball quickly, but have a bit of size about them to clean up any turnovers and force the issue. Good side.
UQ are a close team, bonded very well. could be due to how long they spend in the showers together.

I watched Collingwood Park vs Yeronga on Friday night.

Collingwood Park are really improving as a team, but they do still have a few midfielders with a selfish streak which hurts their ball movement and scoring a bit. They could be a position to be challenging some of the better side later in the year.

UQ still nowhere near Zillmere, Sandgate and woodsmen. Not being disrespectful to UQ, they are a good side.

They lost to Woodsmen by 1 point and Woodsmen lost to Zillmere by 1 point.

How much nearer can you get?!

I watched Collingwood Park vs Yeronga on Friday night.

Collingwood Park are really improving as a team, but they do still have a few midfielders with a selfish streak which hurts their ball movement and scoring a bit. They could be a position to be challenging some of the better side later in the year.

We are a young team with guys still finding their feet in the midfield. I don't think any of my boys suffer from a selfish streak, inexperience might be more the word I would use. Sometimes rather than blazing long, lowering the eyes and pulling the trigger on a closer target is the better option. Kicking 13/15 didn't help our scoring much but hopefully come the end of the year we continue to improve and the boys continue to gain confidence and see where we finish up.

I think UQ will have a strong home and away season. They have 50 plus guys to choose from each week. When it comes to woodsmen, Sandgate, Jimboomba and Zilmere I think all those teams have one or two of their top players away each week and only having lists of 25ish to choose from they are replacing guns with most prob first year players. Which clearly weakens them. Come finals and those teams at full strength I think they all lift a level.

Saying that really impressed with the improvement of Ferny grove, Collingwood park and mayne. Not many easy games this year.

Were Woodsmen and Zillmere at full strength on Friday night?

How far off were they?

I looked at Zillmere teamsheet, missing Smith - but Kable a pretty good replacement!

Looking at Woodsmen teamsheet, missing Green, Monaghan, McEvoy and Gerard Moore.

Both teams could be missing more or less than that, but they are the names that immediately stood out. Some teams have very good players that are important, that people have probably never heard of though - so its hard to judge from outside looking in. I didn't see the game.

I see Dicker and Kable combined for 7 of 9 goals though, so missing Green obviously made a difference. Someone obviously shut down Colvin, assuming he even played?

When was the last time you saw us play QAFL?

On friday we were missing our CHB, CHF and FF. We had adequate replacements though and Zillmere were too good. Colvin must be injured as he spent large parts of the game on the bench.

Not sure if Monaghan and McEvoy will even play this year, so can't really count them as 'out'.

Dickfos was excellent and Ducey got plenty of the footy. Big guy Cable destroyed us in the first half.

We nearly got handed the game by one umpire, but the other bloke was having none of it!

Kicked a goal with a minute to play to get within a point. Then got given a free kick in the centre + a 50m penalty. So essentially got a free shot at goal to win the game, I'm still unsure what for! Then we slotted the goal, bit the other umpire obviously wasn't happy with the freebie (nor were Zillmere understandably) and pulled a holdibg call out of nowhere as the winning kick sailed through. Nobody could work out what was happening!

Bizarre stuff, and would have been a hollow win in those circumstances (but i would have sung the song anyway!)

First time I've been threatened with a yellow card for asking where the mark is! Getting a bit sensitive a few of these umpires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back