2016 QAFA B Central

Remove this Banner Ad

UQ are a close team, bonded very well. could be due to how long they spend in the showers together.
Now now, I sense some jealousy about the bonding sessions? It's my 2nd year playing at UQ (and 2nd year playing aussie rules ever...though last year barely counted with 3 games under my belt before a season ending injury) and if we're known as a team that bonds well and are close i'm proud that I chose them. Taking this one as a compliment!

Great first few games, only prediction I have is UQ over Zilmere next Friday night by 2 goals

They lost to Woodsmen by 1 point and Woodsmen lost to Zillmere by 1 point.

How much nearer can you get?!
How much closer can u get, well u win the game. All the stronger sides in this Comp can beat each other on any night. UQ have definately improved since a couple of years ago when they were getting pumped by 100+pts every week, but they have yet to beat any one decent and that was the same last season. They have gotten off to a good start, but no different to last season they were still beaten by better sides by 10 goals sometimes. They beat all the easier teams and not close to Zillmere Sandgate Woodies Jimboomba. Zillmere will beat them by 6 goals next week, The stronger sides are never at full strength each week. The big improver has been Sandgate so far in my opinion. They have already beaten 3 sides that played finals last season. Until these improvers CP UQ Beat someone decent they are the same old side. Yeah they lost to woodies by a 1pt but from what Thommo has been saying they have a lot of new faces new to the game. Next week v Zillmere will determine where UQ are at.

Last edited:
Now now, I sense some jealousy about the bonding sessions? It's my 2nd year playing at UQ (and 2nd year playing aussie rules ever...though last year barely counted with 3 games under my belt before a season ending injury) and if we're known as a team that bonds well and are close i'm proud that I chose them. Taking this one as a compliment!

Great first few games, only prediction I have is UQ over Zilmere next Friday night by 2 goals
Zillmere by 6-7 goals

How much closer can u get, well u win the game. All the stronger sides in this Comp can beat each other on any night. UQ have definately improved since a couple of years ago when they were getting pumped by 100+pts every week, but they have yet to beat any one decent and that was the same last season. They have gotten off to a good start, but no different to last season they were still beaten by better sides by 10 goals sometimes. They beat all the easier teams and not close to Zillmere Sandgate Woodies Jimboomba. Zillmere will beat them by 6 goals next week, The stronger sides are never at full strength each week. The big improver has been Sandgate so far in my opinion. They have already beaten 3 sides that played finals last season. Until these improvers CP UQ Beat someone decent they are the same old side. Yeah they lost to woodies by a 1pt but from what Thommo has been saying they have a lot of new faces new to the game. Next week v Zillmere will determine where UQ are at.

You're entitled to your opinion. Hopefully we change that opinion pretty quickly. We're pretty confident that we're thereabouts compared to the top teams, but thanks for this post which will only serve as extra motivation to prove ourselves.

You're entitled to your opinion. Hopefully we change that opinion pretty quickly. We're pretty confident that we're thereabouts compared to the top teams, but thanks for this post which will only serve as extra motivation to prove ourselves.
In all seriousness I hope UQ beat Zillmere, I never said anything bad about UQ just the fact they haven't beaten a top Side yet.

Hi guys,

Have a look at the FOX FOOTY Club Rewards Program here https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxfootyclubrewards/enter-now.html . Gives a good chance for local coaches to meet / learn from AFL coaches.

You can apply if your club has done good work in the community (raise money for charity, help out local community etc), and it's all free.

Good chance to apply for your club - and it closes on Sunday so get in quickly.

Couldn't care who thinks who is stronger, but from our experience of 4 rounds of footy - UQ were just as strong as anyone else.

I think this is supported by there being 1 point margins between Woodsmen, UQ and Zillmere.

However, I agree that relative strength of teams could change dramatically week to week.

They have gotten off to a good start, but no different to last season they were still beaten by better sides by 10 goals sometimes. They beat all the easier teams and not close to Zillmere Sandgate Woodies Jimboomba.

I know if my auntie had balls, she would be my uncle...but UQ would have beaten both Kedron and Jimboomba last year if they could have kicked straight.

They weren't far off it at all last year, and any slight improvement will see them up there again.

The big improver has been Sandgate so far in my opinion. They have already beaten 3 sides that played finals last season.

Only impressive win was against Zillmere. If any team needed improvement it was Sandgate, they were belted off the park by the good sides last year. Ultimate flat track bullies.

Until these improvers CP UQ Beat someone decent they are the same old side.

Who is decent though? CP beat Jimboomba Round 1, and they finished above Sandgate last year and lost to Zillmere by a kick in the semi.

Yeah they lost to woodies by a 1pt but from what Thommo has been saying they have a lot of new faces new to the game.

Thommo talks a lot of s**t though. Woodies having good players out is a given, making excuses after a loss is the only time it's mentioned.

If the Woodies were a win at all costs club and played all the guys they seem to have available to them, all the time - it would be a pretty boring comp.

Zillmere by 40+

Colly Park by 80+

Coorparoo by 30+

Ferny by 30

Sandgate by 80+

Woodsmen by 20+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falcons in a tight one
Kings over big brother in a tight one
Power by 120+
UQ in a tight one
Sandgate by 5 goals
Woodsmen by 6 goals

The last couple of premiships have been won by an undefeated team. With that logic is it sandgates turn this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comp looks very open this year I'm doubting any team is going through with atleast a few losses no disrespect to anybody of course. Cats game last night was a tough one, not the cats defiantly not the team of old with a new coach who knows footy don't be surprised if they get a win or two this year.

Comp looks very open this year I'm doubting any team is going through with atleast a few losses no disrespect to anybody of course. Cats game last night was a tough one, not the cats defiantly not the team of old with a new coach who knows footy don't be surprised if they get a win or two this year.
Kevin Sheedy could coach the Cats and they still would be pumped every week. Next week is the only week Yeronga or Ipswich will win a game when they play each other. Sandgate 2 games clear of Woodies and Zillmere. Good to see some different teams up the top for once with FG and CP. Well done to UQ on there win over Zillmere. I thought Zillmere by few goals, looks like they didn't kick to straight. Very low scoring.

Last edited:
The draw was designed for the "stronger" teams to play each other twice. Good idea to avoid the inevitablity of the 2nd half of previous seasons.

However, the assumptions made about which teams are strong may have been off the mark a tad
Hey Thommo, you blokes have played Zillmere and UQ. What r your thoughts on both? Who do u think are strong this season.

The stronger teams playing each other twice and the 'deemed' lesser teams playing twice I don't think is a good balance. Being from a deemed weaker team it allows us to get more opportunity for the easy wins whilst the tops teams have to fight it out against each other. If for example (only an example Thommo) the woodies missed out on finals and Ferny grove made it in (no disrespect because they got up over us) purely based on the fact they were able to amass more points throughout the year from easier games I don't believe that's right. Don't see any way around it apart from extending the season, everybody plays each other twice and the best teams during the course of that year play finals simple as that.

Would be same 6 sides making the finals if they didn't balance the fixture out. If I was one of the stronger sides wouldn't mind playing them twice. See where u are at and have to beat them playing finals anyway. Looking at ladder, on your suggestion then, CP FG are only in the 6 because of an easy draw. Looking at the wins they have also had have been against the weaker sides. I think its a good idea as gives other sides a chance to play finals. Last few years been same sides, I would be happy with the fixture if I was a weaker side.

Would be same 6 sides making the finals if they didn't balance the fixture out. If I was one of the stronger sides wouldn't mind playing them twice. See where u are at and have to beat them playing finals anyway. Looking at ladder, on your suggestion then, CP FG are only in the 6 because of an easy draw. Looking at the wins they have also had have been against the weaker sides. I think its a good idea as gives other sides a chance to play finals. Last few years been same sides, I would be happy with the fixture if I was a weaker side.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I acknowledge yours (albeit *ed). So draws should be structured in a way to fabricate finals experiences for weaker teams??? Just wow......

Look in years past I think this could have worked. But I think with the Comp being very competitive this year minus yeronga and Ipswich it didn't need to be structured this way. But I certainly didn't think it would be such a competitive Comp and clearly Alfq didn't think so either. As A player it's much more fun playing the top sides. But I can see if a team were to make finals by percentage or just one game cause of an easy draw and a team with a hard draw missed out how it could be frustrating.

But let's look at the positive of the Comp also. It's the strongest it's ever been and I couldn't pick at winner yet. Friday night footy is getting more and more popular.

Bottom line is the best teams in any given year should be playing finals footy. In my second year a Collingwood park we have improved out of sight and as the boys captain of course I want to play finals footy because majority of them haven't ever had the chance. I do however believe we are good enough for finals football this year and on any given Friday night if we play to our potential can match it/get over any team we face. But I'm old fashioned and want to be there because we earned it and deserve it not because we got given a favourable draw. Take note because come the end of the season if a 'top side' misses out on finals the draw will be bought up and used as the excuse for why which is completely understandable in my opinion.

in the end you gotta beat the best to be the best. If you're not good enough to make finals regardless of your draw, then I would say you're not good enough to win it!

Bottom line is the best teams in any given year should be playing finals footy. In my second year a Collingwood park we have improved out of sight and as the boys captain of course I want to play finals footy because majority of them haven't ever had the chance. I do however believe we are good enough for finals football this year and on any given Friday night if we play to our potential can match it/get over any team we face. But I'm old fashioned and want to be there because we earned it and deserve it not because we got given a favourable draw. Take note because come the end of the season if a 'top side' misses out on finals the draw will be bought up and used as the excuse for why which is completely understandable in my opinion.
100% agree with what your saying, especially considering it's coming from someone playing in a 'less quality' team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back