2016 QAFA B Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I acknowledge yours (albeit ******ed). So draws should be structured in a way to fabricate finals experiences for weaker teams??? Just wow......
As Thommo has said and if u were a part of the AFL Q discussions the point of making the draws easier for the lower grades teams was to keep the comp more even. End of the day u have to beat everyone and the best sides end of the season. If u don't make finals, either way well u just weren't good enough.

Hey Thommo, you blokes have played Zillmere and UQ. What r your thoughts on both? Who do u think are strong this season.
Hard to say mate.

Obviously the strongest 3 sides we have played were UQ, Zillmere and Jimboomba - but all for different reasons, and we also had significantly different teams in all 3 games.

UQ were probably the fastest, fittest team we have played - and we pretty much had no ruckman against them (except me..and I aint a ruckman) and they killed us in the centre as a result. We were also missing our captain who is a very important player for us.

Against Zillmere, we just happened to have a few key talls missing that game, and they have some serious firepower up front that were hard to match up on. To the point where aftet their tall forwards dominated us early, we had to move our tall forwards into defence. Turned out that worked pretty well, as our little blokes were a bit mobile for them up forward.

Jimboomba were a fit and pretty youthful team, they beat us out of the middle a fair bit and we were down to 1 on the bench before half time and we just couldn't run with them. They loved to run from halfback and spent most of the 2nd and 3rd quarter camped in their 50. Definitely the only team where I felt the ball spent more time in their attacking half than ours.

I'd suggest each of those 3 could easily beat one of the others on any given night, unfortunately we lost 2 out of 3 so far.

The stronger teams playing each other twice and the 'deemed' lesser teams playing twice I don't think is a good balance. Being from a deemed weaker team it allows us to get more opportunity for the easy wins whilst the tops teams have to fight it out against each other. If for example (only an example Thommo) the woodies missed out on finals and Ferny grove made it in (no disrespect because they got up over us) purely based on the fact they were able to amass more points throughout the year from easier games I don't believe that's right. Don't see any way around it apart from extending the season, everybody plays each other twice and the best teams during the course of that year play finals simple as that.

12 team comp (14 when the draw was first discussed), can't do a home & away draw - so no matter how it crumbles the draw will be uneven.

We finished 2nd last year on the back of a comparatively easier draw than a few others, playing Zillmere, Jimboomba, Kedron, UQ, Coorparoo and Sandgate only once - and getting Kenmore and Ipswich twice - obviously an enormous advantage.

Downside is that if you get an easy draw, especially in a comp that traditionally has some real easybeats - you get a soft underbelly and games get a bit boring.

I like the idea of trying to have 'stronger' sides playing twice, makes for a mroe competitive year, minimises the 150 point wins that neither side enjoys and strengthens the comp in general.

At the end of the day, if you miss out because of a hard draw - you're not good enough to be there anyway.

Would be same 6 sides making the finals if they didn't balance the fixture out. If I was one of the stronger sides wouldn't mind playing them twice. See where u are at and have to beat them playing finals anyway. Looking at ladder, on your suggestion then, CP FG are only in the 6 because of an easy draw. Looking at the wins they have also had have been against the weaker sides. I think its a good idea as gives other sides a chance to play finals. Last few years been same sides, I would be happy with the fixture if I was a weaker side.

I disagree, they may have cooked the books this year but probably didn't have to in hindsight. CP aren't where they are due to easy draw, they beat Jimboomba Round 1 for example.

Outside Yeronga and the Cats, it appears pretty much every game you need to be switched on this year. Only downside for us is that its harder to get guys a game, as in the past we have traditionally blooded blokes against weaker sides and tried to rotate - now you risk a loss if you don't pick the best available.

Setting up to be a cracking year. No chance we have a 4th year in a row where a team goes undefeated. Injuries will play a part, as they did last year. Touch wood, we're reasonably ok on that front so far.

Watched woodsmen v Jimboomba Friday and besides the first quarter the woodsmen were totally dominated. Jimboomba had a game plan and the woodsmen had no answers. As stated in other posts. Woodsmen have a good 5 or 6 but their bottom end are terrible. They looked like a confused team. jimboomba just kicked the ball around them all night.

After seeing the top teams now I'd rate it so:

Sandgate
Uq
Jimboomba
Zilmere
Cp/woodsmen/Ferny grove

Watched woodsmen v Jimboomba Friday and besides the first quarter the woodsmen were totally dominated. Jimboomba had a game plan and the woodsmen had no answers. As stated in other posts. Woodsmen have a good 5 or 6 but their bottom end are terrible. They looked like a confused team. jimboomba just kicked the ball around them all night.

After seeing the top teams now I'd rate it so:

Sandgate
Uq
Jimboomba
Zilmere
Cp/woodsmen/Ferny grove

How do you dominate a team completely, yet have the same amount of scoring shots and win by only 15 points?

Not trying to be a smart alec, just trying to understand. Looks like it was a close game, although post from Thommo above admits that Jimboomba had more ball in the attacking half, but given they kicked pretty accurately - they obviously weren't peppering the goals.

Hard to say mate.

Obviously the strongest 3 sides we have played were UQ, Zillmere and Jimboomba - but all for different reasons, and we also had significantly different teams in all 3 games.

Excuse #1

We were also missing our captain who is a very important player for us.

Excuse #2

Against Zillmere, we just happened to have a few key talls missing that game

Excuse #3

Jimboomba were a fit and pretty youthful team, they beat us out of the middle a fair bit and we were down to 1 on the bench before half time and we just couldn't run with them.

Excuse #4

They loved to run from halfback and spent most of the 2nd and 3rd quarter camped in their 50.

I watched the game and would agree with that. Jimboomba looked very fit, switched on and interestingly appeared to treat the game like a knockout final. Woodsmen appeared a bit lazy and as an observer, have a few blokes in their side who don't like the physical stuff - which would be a concern for them.

I watched the game and I don't think thats quite accurate. I would say that Jimboomba controlled the 2nd quarter, and most of the last quarter - but the 1st and 3rd quarters were pretty even. Jimboomba put a man behind the ball to start the last quarter (to protect their lead I assume), and that killed the Woodsmen. They had struggled all game to kill the switch, but with an extra one back there their big blokes just stood there and watched as the Redbacks kicked it backwards and sideways. Woodsmen had their chances in the last quarter, but missed some pretty easy shots. Pretty poor form for the Redbacks to waste 3-5 minutes of the last quarter assessing an 'injured' player on the mark, the player then ran off the field and was back on within 30 seconds.

Redbacks opened them up down the corridor with hardly any pressure. Woodsmen forward-line is far too top heavy and it rebounds out easily unless Thommo or Moore mark one. All due respect to those 2 blokes, who basically kicked their teams score - but if you are relying on them to crumb and chase as well, your forward line isn't going to function. Even though I had a crack above about excuses, the Woodsmen skipper Toohey going off in the 2nd quarter certainly didn't help them. Absolute bullshit they only had 1 on the bench though, Toohey was the only injury I saw.

Credit where credit is due to the Redbacks messiah coach, he clearly had a plan to tire out the older team - and it worked. Jimboomba maintained possession very well with short kicks, and showed a skill level that most QAFA A teams couldn't match. Guise and Heppel dominated in the middle, and Murray up forward was dangerous all night. I think both teams gave a good showing, it was a pretty high standard of footy and they would both be confident they could win next time they play. Redbacks still have Watson to come back, Woodsmen were obviously missing a few as well.

As Thommo said above though, the times where every 2nd week was a rout are over in this comp - so social sides like Woodsmen and Zillmere might find it a bit tougher to stay competitive week in week out.

No excuses buddy, just pointing out facts. Why would i make an excuse for a game we won?

Fri night we lost the skipper in the 2nd quarter and big G rolled his ankle in the 1st, but played the rest of the game from the goalsquare. He is usually CHF.

Agree with your comments though, it does rebound out too easily with us tall blokes down there. I chased ok i thought! I'm not young or quick though. ..

At the risk of more excuses, a few small forwards missing at the moment too!

Everytime woodsmen had the ball it was a rushed kick or hand ball. Jimboomba would feed the ball backwards and kick the ball around until they found a free player.

Don't think either team was soft. The biggest thing I saw was one midfield would work both ways and the other only worked one way. jimboomba looked like they were playing with 3 extra players at stages. As I said woodsmen looked confused. And clearly couldn't figure out a way to stop it.

Certainly had different styles. Woodsmen get it forward at all costs with occasional switch.

Jimboomba try to maintain possession as much as possible, and are clearly a younger and fitter team.

Thats a contrast is method, not ability. I don't think its accurate to say one team dominated another when they won by 15 points in a see-sawing contest with multiple lead changes and the same amount of shots at goal.

Guise was the dominant player on the ground for the Redbacks, while Thommo dominated for Woodsmen. The next best 5 were all Redbacks though, Heppell, Murray, bloke with the beard and big Rooks and Martin. In fact the battle between Green and Martin was a highlight, two seriously good players head to head for most of the match which came out a bit even.

Definitely agree the Woodsmen rely on too few, and those few aren't getting any younger.

That last line or more specifically those last few words are bang on. Woodies seem like a pretty tight bunch that do have newcomers but generally have a core group that are all getting on. Will the club exist post retirement of half a dozen of these players?

For the time they're a solid team and never out of the mix.

That last line or more specifically those last few words are bang on. Woodies seem like a pretty tight bunch that do have newcomers but generally have a core group that are all getting on. Will the club exist post retirement of half a dozen of these players?

For the time they're a solid team and never out of the mix.
I'm sure they will continue on and be competive. It's true when you have an older core group they tend to Finnish up close together.
That said they have a strong club around them. They like anyone else will go through a lean time.
Pretty sure it's not that time ATM.
Look at Mayne in the qfa back to back and now struggling to win games.
I still think woodsman will be a force in finals this year.
They simply know how to get the job done at the right time.
Underestimate them at your own peril.
With all the talk last year in this comp I knew we would meet them in the gf.
Others wrote them off to soon.

I wrote them off last season for sure, but in my defence I wrote them off for the Premiership and I was right.

When Baker and Dobson got injured, I couldn't see how they would beat Kedron and they didn't. They were clearly the 2nd best side in it last year without those guys, but when Thommo got injured in the Prelim they were cooked for the GF imo.

Both Baker and Dobson don't appear to be playing this year either, and seems from teamlists on sportingpulse they have lost McEvoy as well. So they are treading serious water, and all their good players are another year older and another year slower.

I see they had Monaghan, the gun from 2014 play 1 game this year - if they can inject him back into their midfield, then that will help, he was a jet.

Will the club exist post retirement of half a dozen of these players?

Of course.

We're on our 3rd coach and 2nd president, same skipper as our first year though! We've had over 100 players in our 7 season history. Woodies will continue on long beyond any of us.

Although we/they may merge back into the Magpies, it will never be a true Magpies 3rds and will always wear the Axes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It appears from registered players Dobson definitely out but Baker has registered so come end of year may be playing. This would give the Woodsmen a big in along with Monaghan. Saw them both play a couple years ago and they destroyed us.
Saw my first game of the year at sherwood Friday night, and I said it last year but more realistic this year. The woodsmen are struggling. The midfield players played the whole game, they didn't appear to have any rotations. If this is the case then they won't beat the better teams.
Jimboomba dominated even tho they only won by 15 points. I agree with the other comments that the woodsmen were lost. The redbacks controlled pretty much everything from Qtr time. I will be putting them in the top end teams when it counts.

Early prediction: Sandgate v Jimboomba GF

Geez I hope we lose by 15 points next time we get smashed. They must be efficient up forward!

It appears from registered players Dobson definitely out but Baker has registered so come end of year may be playing.

To qualify to play in finals a player must play at least 5 games with the team they will be representing in the finals.
eg, guy from woodies who doesn't get a game with then is permitted across during the season to zillmere and ends up doing that 5 times, poor guy can't play with woodies during finals.

QAFA (B) & QWAFA
• A player must play a minimum of three (3) home and away games with the QAFA (B) or QWAFA team in their registered club to be eligible to play finals.
• If a player has played three (3) or more home and away games in a higher ranked team in the club (Seniors, Reserves or QWAFL) they must play at least five (5) home and away games in the QAFA (B) or QWAFA to be eligible to play finals.
• If a player has played ten (10) or more games in higher ranked teams in the club (Seniors, Reserves or QWAFL) they are not eligible to play finals.

just the 3, wow.

Given you can put 28 on the teamsheet and AFLQ never update it just to reflect which 22 played, that is wide open for rorting.

just the 3, wow.

Given you can put 28 on the teamsheet and AFLQ never update it just to reflect which 22 played, that is wide open for rorting.
Those rules have been in play for a fair while, no different to last year or the year before etc, etc

If clubs/teams are rorting the team sheets over a Friday night 'social' comp they can uppercut themselves. 95% are of us are out for abit of fun, kick with our mates and our love of the game. If it's going to Get to the point where tea sheet loop holes get exposed I think your taking it abit to seriously. I mean only speaking personally we don't even have 28 to put on a list every week.

If clubs/teams are rorting the team sheets over a Friday night 'social' comp they can uppercut themselves. 95% are of us are out for abit of fun, kick with our mates and our love of the game. If it's going to Get to the point where tea sheet loop holes get exposed I think your taking it abit to seriously. I mean only speaking personally we don't even have 28 to put on a list every week.
Zillmere are the worst for it

Morningside
Ipswich
Sandgate
Woodsmen
Zillmere
Jimboomba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back