2016 QFA NORTH

sunnyman

Rookie
Aug 16, 2013
Nambour
Yeah Damo you would expect Maroochydore to be there abouts again, but I hear Caloundra have recruited well with a few from Nambour and a couple more from Albury. And of course Noosa with a healthy cheque book and willing to use it approach to recruiting will be strong.
A six team comp is weak as .... by AFLQ. They promised to increase the teams from 7 to 8 for this year by telling a southern team to move north. Now Nambour have folded we are worse off.

swamp13

Aug 27, 2009
Man utd, San Antonio, taker
i think your right, Maroochydore will be the improvers again. Mayne won't go anywhere. I'm a worried about Noosa, the in house politics hurt them this year and they've lost the best two youngsters. Even with the addition of a couple of Vic boys and a few Nambour lads. I think it's gonna take abit for everyone to gel. Time will tell.

Twinkle_Toes

Apr 19, 2014
So, I gather it will be a final four finals series? Probably no other way to do it. Not that it's the fault of anyone on here but a final four gives a side who finishes in the bottom half of the ladder, a finals berth which is obviously not ideal and takes away some credibility of the competition. Perhaps the six remaining clubs should approach the league as a collective to address this issue, maybe even ask to just merge with the south comp now? It's a shitty situation and I feel for all involved

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
Problem with that scenario TT (and yes, it would be a good one fo the nth teams) is that the south conf teams are affected adversely. Some of them (and rightly so) will argue "well too bad, too sad, our comp is alright, why stuff it bc yours isn't".
Really hard for our young kids who are say U17 and hoping to be in the State squad and want to play senior footy mixed with State footy. They want to play in a good comp. Plus of course the blokes who stick fat year in year out. Just think it is total head in the sand stuff, should have been sorted Oct last year and would have been a really good, vibrant 3rd tier comp. Too many people who dont really understand footy at the lower levels who keep on saying "distance is a problem". Well its not for most guys and if it is then like water, they will find a level.

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
i think your right, Maroochydore will be the improvers again. Mayne won't go anywhere. I'm a worried about Noosa, the in house politics hurt them this year and they've lost the best two youngsters. Even with the addition of a couple of Vic boys and a few Nambour lads. I think it's gonna take abit for everyone to gel. Time will tell.

Interested in that comment swampy - in what respect as someone who spent a short time there last year you must have noticed something?

swamp13

Aug 27, 2009
Man utd, San Antonio, taker
Interested in that comment swampy - in what respect as someone who spent a short time there last year you must have noticed something?
I still have a few good mates up there, and they just told me things, nothing I want to repeat. No point airing dirty laundry as they say. It's like it with most clubs I reckon, everyone has there favourites. But new coach, new lease of life hopefully for the the Tigers.

sunnyman

Rookie
Aug 16, 2013
Nambour
Its good for the south to be happy with their lot, its not their fault north is substandard - AFLQ need to show some leadership. A fix that would have merit is to drop UQ and Sandgate back to QFA North. Thats where they below based on their performances over the last couple of years and it would improve the quality of footy in the north without detracting from State League.

Bud63

MVP
May 7, 2015
Sunshine Coast
Thats not a bad idea Sunnyman, but I would prefer to see Maroochydore and Noosa in the QAFL making it a 12 team comp, which will give QAFL a much needed team from the Sunshine Coast. It would keep alive the strong rivalry between these two which is important for local supporters interest. That leaves 4 teams from the North to join the south comp, then simply called QFA. With Mayne, Aspley and Moreton Bay all northern Bris teams, the impact of travel will only be felt by Caloundra and those having to visit them. I also agree with Smy that the objection of travel is overplayed as an excuse not to do something like this. Players at Maroochydore that I talked to last year said they would much prefer to drive to GC for a competitive game than to drive to Nambour and win by 30 goals.

Johnny Demon

Apr 21, 2012
Thats not a bad idea Sunnyman, but I would prefer to see Maroochydore and Noosa in the QAFL making it a 12 team comp, which will give QAFL a much needed team from the Sunshine Coast. It would keep alive the strong rivalry between these two which is important for local supporters interest. That leaves 4 teams from the North to join the south comp, then simply called QFA. With Mayne, Aspley and Moreton Bay all northern Bris teams, the impact of travel will only be felt by Caloundra and those having to visit them. I also agree with Smy that the objection of travel is overplayed as an excuse not to do something like this. Players at Maroochydore that I talked to last year said they would much prefer to drive to GC for a competitive game than to drive to Nambour and win by 30 goals.
Not sure you could leave out Mayne, having won successive flags in both grades.
Travel is not an issue, the previous comp went from Noosa to Coolangatta

QAFL_Fan

May 28, 2014
On the boundary
Problem with that scenario TT (and yes, it would be a good one fo the nth teams) is that the south conf teams are affected adversely. Some of them (and rightly so) will argue "well too bad, too sad, our comp is alright, why stuff it bc yours isn't".
Really hard for our young kids who are say U17 and hoping to be in the State squad and want to play senior footy mixed with State footy. They want to play in a good comp. Plus of course the blokes who stick fat year in year out. Just think it is total head in the sand stuff, should have been sorted Oct last year and would have been a really good, vibrant 3rd tier comp. Too many people who dont really understand footy at the lower levels who keep on saying "distance is a problem". Well its not for most guys and if it is then like water, they will find a level.

Given the division lower than this one has more travel, the travel argument has been complete bollocks for a few years now.

They absolutely should have merged the Nth and South, and just dropped the bottom sides into QAFA A.

South wouldn't like that though, as Springwood are the only side that would get near Mayne and Maroochydoore (and given rumours of players leaving the Pumas - Mayne, Noosa and Maroochy would make up 3 of the finals spots before a ball is bounced.)

QAFL_Fan

May 28, 2014
On the boundary
Mayne have looked good the past 2 years, but their best players aren't getting any younger.

It would be premature to have them in the QAFL

QAFL_Fan

May 28, 2014
On the boundary
3 wrongs don't make a right!

Mayne 2014 would have been a QAFL finals contender.

The quality picked up a fair bit in 2015 imo, while Mayne's big guns got a year older. I reckon Mayne would have knocked off UQ in 2015, no question - but they would have been back in the pack big time in the QAFL, no guarantee to be better tan Sandgate were - who improved quite a bit, and I think will be huge improvers again in 2016 from what I've seen of their recruiting

Springwood Puma

Draftee
Feb 8, 2016
Given the division lower than this one has more travel, the travel argument has been complete bollocks for a few years now.

They absolutely should have merged the Nth and South, and just dropped the bottom sides into QAFA A.

South wouldn't like that though, as Springwood are the only side that would get near Mayne and Maroochydoore (and given rumours of players leaving the Pumas - Mayne, Noosa and Maroochy would make up 3 of the finals spots before a ball is bounced.)

QAFL that's the great thing about this time of year, rumours. The Pumas will be just fine with a few new recruits confirmed today and hopefully more to come over the coming weeks.

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast

Of course it is. A furphy. And if it is an issue then blokes will vote with their feet.

From the boundary

Nov 6, 2012
Sunshine Coast
RESULTS
POOL A

Surfers Paradise 9.10.64 defeated by Broadbeach 11.6.72

Labrador 10.11.71 defeated Palm Beach Currumbin 2.7.19

Mt Gravatt 10.9.69 defeated Morningside 5.9.39

Wilston Grange 10.4.64 defeated Western Magpies 6.6.42