List Mgmt. 2016 re-signing mission accomplished!

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone will pick him up on the cheap for sure.

I also have no doubt that an Essendon or Carlton will pick him up whether as a DFA or in the PSD.

However, I doubt he will be offered a contract close to the one we offered him earlier in the year.
I could imagine that the contract we offered, heavily weighted on performance/games played, would have been around the 300K/yr mark (3 years) - that's 900K over the 3 years. Could even have been close to a million.
If given a lifeline at Ess/Carl, I doubt (i) that he is offered anywhere near 300K/yr and (ii) he will be offered more than a 2 year contract.
I could see an Ess/Carl offering him 500K/2 years tops, which makes his decision to reject our offer totally dumb.

Yes, I agree that his manager needs to take some responsibility, but ultimately its the player that makes the final decision.

But by the same token he sounded as though he realises that there aspects of his game that need attention - most importantly the defensive aspect of his game

Sounds shattered and surprised doesn't he.

Goes to show that previous poor mentality of "it'll be fine, I can easily get another contract" at the club even when you have a shocker of a year.

Wonder if the delisting is just as much a statement to the whole playing group as much as it is just to Green.

I am sure somebody will pay him 500k....over 4 years. What he needs to do is picture the ball as a footlong sub and think "that guy is stealing my food"

Sounds shattered and surprised doesn't he.

Goes to show that previous poor mentality of "it'll be fine, I can easily get another contract" at the club even when you have a shocker of a year.

Wonder if the delisting is just as much a statement to the whole playing group as much as it is just to Green.
Unfortunate as he has some talent but its a game for professionals

Nahh, still has currency until he proves otherwise.

Yeah, all I gleamed from that interview is that he is really, really keen for another club.

sub_of_the_day_saturday__1386356830.jpg

Whiting on afl.com re darcy- particularly like the bolded.

SIGNING a deal took a bit longer than expected, but rugged Brisbane Lions defender Darcy Gardiner says he never contemplated leaving the club.

Negotiations to extend his three-year stay in Brisbane began early last season but were only finalised during the final week of the NAB AFL Trade Period.

Speaking for the first time since re-signing, Gardiner told AFL.com.au despite the lack of success in his early years, it was an easy decision to stay on.

"It took its time, but it always does, it's always a long process for most blokes and I got there in the end and am very happy with the outcome," Gardiner said.

"There was never any talk about it not getting done. I was always comfortable."

The Lions had a horrid 2016, finishing second last and sacking coach Justin Leppitsch, but Gardiner said the young core of players were extremely tight knit.

He said the talent on their list drew him to return.

Although less than two weeks into the tenure of new coach Chris Fagan, Gardiner said there was already a different feel around pre-season training.

"Sometimes you get back into it and guys go through the motions, but everyone's been excited," he said.

"Chris is a very laid back, very easy-going bloke. He's got a very good reputation and has come from a very successful club.

"He's brought a good message across about continual improvement and backing ourselves in and not worrying about mistakes and we'll get better from there.

"It's good to see the older blokes who aren't due back for another couple of weeks, pop in every now and then, and drive that leadership to help us."

Gardiner has played 43 games over his three years and often played with injury, but is healthy and says he is ready to do a full pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So can somebody update the current state of re-signings? I'm naive and not sure who is still left in limbo after 17' besides rocky

Remove this Banner Ad

Back