Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, I completely disagree given I've watched Darcy almost single handily win us games this year.

Calling Jack Henry a handy player would be about the highest praise I can give him...
He's been playing All-Australian footy all year. In the top handful of defenders in the comp right now.

You obviously haven’t seen the incredible difference having Ryder and Marshall in the team has on our win-loss ratio and percentage.
They're fine players, and so is Henry. Sit and watch Henry and you'll recognise how good he is and he continues to improve by the week.

There's also a reasonable deal of importance in having gun key defenders in your team too. Henry will place in the top few of his top 4 team's best and fairest. He's one of the best players in this draft and I'll gladly back him in.

Last edited:

Simpkin too. 31 disposals while playing a role limiting Walsh's influence. I think people generally underrate Simpkin in their rankings. He's as good as any of those mids at the top.
Although I don't think Clugga has had a great second half of the year, I think he and Bolton are a rung above Simpkin. I would have Simpkin on a similar level to Taranto and McGrath. Super consistent player but not quite as dynamic as the other two (Bolton and Clugga).

Although I don't think Clugga has had a great second half of the year, I think he and Bolton are a rung above Simpkin. I would have Simpkin on a similar level to Taranto and McGrath. Super consistent player but not quite as dynamic as the other two (Bolton and Clugga).
Yeah, I think that's fair. Not sure Bolton's got the consistency of the others, but his best is probably the best of the lot.

I've said before that ranking the top end of this draft mostly comes down to a matter of personal preference and probably a bit of bias if they play for your team. There's really not that much separating their performances.

Simpkin too. 31 disposals while playing a role limiting Walsh's influence. I think people generally underrate Simpkin in their rankings. He's as good as any of those mids at the top.
Simpkin needs to learn how to kick the ball properly and work on his decision making. Has the potential to be elite, but really needs to tidy those 2 areas up.

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A "best 22" of this draft:

B: Tom Stewart - Griffin Logue - Jordan Ridley
HB: Jack Bowes - Brennan Cox - Luke Ryan
C: Hugh McCluggage - Tim Taranto - Brandon Parfitt
HF: Shai Bolton - Todd Marshall - Josh Daicos
F: Tim English - Nick Larkey - Cameron Zurhaar
R: Sean Darcy - Jarrod Berry - Andrew McGrath
I: Jack Scrimshaw - Oliver Florent - Jy Simpkin - Harry Perryman

Isaac Cumming rising through the rankings quickly though.

Last edited:
Simpkin needs to learn how to kick the ball properly and work on his decision making. Has the potential to be elite, but really needs to tidy those 2 areas up.

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

He has, along with the rest of the side since the bye.

Averaging 28.5 touches, 5 tackles, 6 clearances and 115 ranking points per game since the bye.

Statistically superior to any mid in this draft for the last few months. Including Taranto and McCluggage.

Back to his early form from 2020.

Last edited:

No Rowan Marshall?

No Rowan Marshall?
Hard one to leave out. Overall he's in the top 20, comfortably, but it's not overly balanced to have 3 rucks in there.

Hard one to leave out. Overall he's in the top 20, comfortably, but it's not overly balanced to have 3 rucks in there.
Definitely a hard one but I think he’d be a better forward than Todd anyway

I doubt there would be a single club that would pick Todd to play ahead of Rowan. He’s come 2nd and 4th in our last two B&F’s and is arguably our most important player. (Despite having been injury-affected all year and off an injury-affected preseason).

He’s also spent most of his time playing forward since Ryder arrived and is 5th in the comp for contested marks per game this year (2.56).

He’d do the backup rucking and English would just play purely forward.

Last edited:
Definitely a hard one but I think he’d be a better forward than Todd anyway
I doubt there would be a single club that would pick Todd to play ahead of Rowan. He’s come 2nd and 4th in our last two B&F’s and is arguably our most important player. (Despite having been injury-affected all year and off an injury-affected preseason).

He’s also spent most of his time playing forward since Ryder arrived and is 5th in the comp for contested marks per game this year (2.56).

He’d do the backup rucking and English would just play purely forward.
Both very fair points. I was very reluctant to put Todd in there.

Logue, Ryan, cox and Darcy are good freo pic ups. Even add Taylin Duman as depth down back.

Crazy Sam Powell pepper isnt in that best 22.

Yeah, I think that's fair. Not sure Bolton's got the consistency of the others, but his best is probably the best of the lot.

I've said before that ranking the top end of this draft mostly comes down to a matter of personal preference and probably a bit of bias if they play for your team. There's really not that much separating their performances.
Simpkin had 38 disposals - 23 contested - 14 clearances - 9 tackles as his best game.

Happy to put his best up against Bolton's best - and yes Simpkin is more consistency. Bolton another mare on the weekend.

Simpkin had 38 disposals - 23 contested - 14 clearances - 9 tackles as his best game.

Happy to put his best up against Bolton's best - and yes Simpkin is more consistency. Bolton another mare on the weekend.

Bolton is a good player and 20 & 1 isn't an easy thing to achieve, it looks like there'd be heaps of players covering that line, but there's not.

There's 4 players in the league that currently cover it (Bont, Petracca, Martin & Bolton), so it's a good criteria for some of the most damaging midfielders in the game. There's really no half forward that has the motor to get it 20+ times across a season and still kick 1+ goals a game.

Funnily enough, Jaidyn Stephenson is about to become the 5th player in the league to average it this year, he needs a single disposal, it would be interesting to see where Richmond fans rate him vs Bolton, as it's a good litmus test for their bias given they are quite similar statistically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back