2016 Roland Garros - French Open

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the most impressive part of it
He pulled off one of the hardest feats in tennis
Something not even Federer managed, despite his remarkable list of achievements. Incredible accomplishment.

Also credit to Murray, five losses in grand slam finals to the same player must seriously hurt but has handled himself with grace there. Played a great tournament and deserves a lot of credit for completely turning his game around on the clay.

Also credit to Murray, five losses in grand slam finals to the same player must seriously hurt but has handled himself with grace there. Played a great tournament and deserves a lot of credit for completely turning his game around on the clay.

Unfortunately someone had to lose and he didn't play a bad final. Took the first set, could have pinched the 4th. Murray has really improved his movement on clay.

Now that's over, there's no way in hell I'm going to bed.
You guys deserve some praise for staying up in Australia. I'm still emotional here and it may be the wine. But this win and this achievement of 4 straight slams and only 1 loss in the past 6 GS tournaments is mind blowing. Djokovic was very composed in the victory celebrations and it shows me that he is not stopping at this title.

....Awkward moment when you have an alarm set but sleep through it and miss the final!

Have to check out the replay.
Good to read a bit of love for Djokovic on here, throughly deserved win!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Didn't see any of it but well done to Novak :) First time I've been 'involved' in the clay season (no easy access to it and usually totally pre-occupied with the footy) so it has been interesting to watch some of the games and see some players who are good on this surface and how they play. I've especially enjoyed watching Stosur play as I rarely see her away from home and/or on clay. Roll on the grass :thumbsu: (lol, take that any way you want :D :p ).

i went to bed near the start of the 3rd. I thought it was GG. it is good to hear that Andy didnt roll over.

Was a very good final, the two best players in the world fighting it out. Hope Novak doesn't face Andy at Wimbledon as that is Andy's preferred surface.

Unfortunately I couldn't watch the match as I was out late at a family function plus I got home and had a massive headache so didn't see the result until the morning but I'm stoked for Novak.

He's come overcome last year's demons to finally win the French Open! 12 slams and counting and he doesn't look like slowing down any time soon. Simply an amazing player who's only now being recognised for his achievements after being largely unappreciated many tennis supporters for a long time.

Can't fault Andy Murray! He's had a good clay court season and while not on the level of the big three at their peak, he's been a good player in his own right for a long time and deserves more than 2 grand slam wins after 10 finals appearances.

Now, Wimbledon is around the corner! Love watching it in the middle of Winter.

novak-djokovic-french-open-title-0506.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on novak. Think he's achievements are amazing and will be considered one of the GOAT. But he doesnt have a fully fledged rival near him like federer had with nadal (also the greatest clay player of all time). Its time for someone to truly stand up now, murray just doesnt have it in him.

You guys deserve some praise for staying up in Australia. I'm still emotional here and it may be the wine. But this win and this achievement of 4 straight slams and only 1 loss in the past 6 GS tournaments is mind blowing. Djokovic was very composed in the victory celebrations and it shows me that he is not stopping at this title.

Good effort staying up late to watch the finals. I fell asleep around 12.

Good on novak. Think he's achievements are amazing and will be considered one of the GOAT. But he doesnt have a fully fledged rival near him like federer had with nadal (also the greatest clay player of all time). Its time for someone to truly stand up now, murray just doesnt have it in him.
The debate rages on and it has been brought up before, but when Federer truly dominated he had no one truly standing up to him either. Nadal was only 16-18 when fed was peaking, Sampras and Agassi were done and roddick was his toughest opponent. Nadal never really dominated on anything other than clay, Djokovic has only won 12 GS titles, so a little while to go before he could lay a claim as the greatest of this generation. Just astonishing we've had fed, Rafa and Novak play in the same era, all 3 can be classed as all time greats.

Good effort staying up late to watch the finals. I fell asleep around 12.
To be fair I was planning on staying up for the first set or two then recording the rest but by the time the third set rolled around I was far too emotionally invested in the match to go to sleep. :$

The debate rages on and it has been brought up before, but when Federer truly dominated he had no one truly standing up to him either. Nadal was only 16-18 when fed was peaking, Sampras and Agassi were done and roddick was his toughest opponent. Nadal never really dominated on anything other than clay, Djokovic has only won 12 GS titles, so a little while to go before he could lay a claim as the greatest of this generation. Just astonishing we've had fed, Rafa and Novak play in the same era, all 3 can be classed as all time greats.

Plus, I just think what if Nadal's body was injury-free he could've won another French Open.

But why did he become injury prone? I would say as a direct result of his playing style. You cannot play the way he does and stay injury free in your late 20s and 30s.

Exactly and he didnt take care or listen to his body. He didnt change his training style or even adjust his game plan so now he is struggling with injuries. Nadal's game is soo intense and it's impossible to maintain long term especially late 20s

But why did he become injury prone? I would say as a direct result of his playing style. You cannot play the way he does and stay injury free in your late 20s and 30s.

Has to make you think it will catch up with Novak but he almost seems immune to it, you look at the way Novak moves around the court, that has surely got to take a toll on his body. Wasn't winning as much as nadal at a young age I guess.

Glad Novak has won his first, he deserves it, really is a step above the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back