Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Like I did last year, a thread for people to give a detailed write up on their teams players and who to pick and not to pick in SC. Also makes it easier to ask any team specific questions in here.

So here's mine for the pups.

Defenders:

Matthew Boyd, 560k.
Will be top 5 averaging defender in 2015. 100%. Had his best year in a long time last year playing as an attacking back pocket. Gets marks, lays tackles, and surprisingly used the ball well last year. Only problem is he'll miss games. Played 18 games and we lost every game he didn't play, so he is an important player. Only thing is at 33 years old he needs to have games off here and there. I think the only game he missed through genuine injury was round three vs Hawks. So you have to weight it up. You know you'll get an 100+ average from him, but you also know he will miss 3-5 games. I personally think that isn't worth the risk, but no doubt he will score will. Predicted average 105.

Robert Murphy, 495k
:hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

That sums up every Bulldog supporters view of Bob. We love him. AA captain and a terrific SC season last year. Arguably the most damaging HBFer in the comp. Averaged 91.3 and played all but two games. While he is a fossil along with Boyd, there is one major difference between the two, we won't rest Bob. Every game he is fit to play he should play. He's way too important to do otherwise. His averages since 2011 have been 89.8, 83.9, 98.8, 88.5 and 91.3. So he's been a consistent SC player since being moved 100% to back flank. I think you know what you're going to get from him. But there's always a major risk in picking an older player. Predicted average 90.

Easton Wood, 464k.

Wood was unreal last season. The second most dominant defender in the comp behind Rance IMO. And it showed in real footy (AA and B&F winner) and SC. Taking his average from 68 to 85.8. Wood gets most of his scores through marking from oppo kicks, and he can go relatively big because of this. 128, 126 and 115 show this. But the lows can be low, too. Six times last year he scores under 65. He was a great pick last season, but with his inconsistent scoring (which is weird given how consistent he is in real footy) and injury history I think there's better options. Predicted average 82.

Jason Johannisen, 418k

JJ isn't really a SC player. He's kind of like Shaun Atley. They are important for their team because of the run and carry they provide, but it just doesn't translate to SC scores. He did score 97+ in six games last year, so I guess there is something to work with, but when you compare his to players around his price he just isn't worth it. Good player, though. Predicted average 80.

Matthew Suckling, 396k (FWD)

I can see why people could pick Suckling. 27 years old, has averaged 90 before, bigger role at a new club. Was sub twice last year so that does drop his price down a bit, too. But I just don't see it. I think he's too inconsistent to pick in SC. He will also be playing wing/forward 'apparently'. So there's some question makes over his role. No doubt he improves on his 73.4 average last season, but I doubt he can make the jump to 90+ again. Predicted average 84.

Shane Biggs, 391k

I would of been all over Biggs if we hadn't of gotten Suckling. Has a lot of potential to be that link up half back flanker and I wouldn't be surprised if he did go 90+, he knows how to find the ball. But there's too many question makes now. He's in that classic 16-25 spot on the list where if he plays a bad game or two he'll be out of the team. No thanks. Predicted average 80.

Jordan Roughead, 347k (RUC)

Yeah, nah. Will probably be #1 ruck most of the year, but not a SC player. Can play though, as he showed vs Goldy last year, but not a good pick up. Predicted average 77.

Jed Adcock, 340k (FWD)

I really like us picking him up, and tbh, I rate him as a better player than Suckling. But he won't be SC relevant. I think we got him just as backup for if Boyd, Wood or Murph go down. When he plays he should be good for an 80 or so, but that's not much use. Predicted average 79.

Dale Morris, 327k.

We all love Moz, almost at Murph levels, but he ain't a SC player. Predicted average 55.

Joel Hamling, 289k.
Was a good rookie last year, but that's where it ends. He should get first crack at CHB again this year, but not a SC pick. Predicted average 61.

Josh Prudden, 286k.

Can't see him playing that much footy. Being groomed as a Boyd replacement for 2017 and beyond. Don't pick him. Predicted average 54.

Fletcher Roberts, 273k.
Lock down defender. No. Predicted average 55.

Lukas Webb, 238k.

I tell you what, I don't mind this pick providing he shows enough in the NAB cup. Good ball user and can play every position on the ground bar KP. Job security is a worry, but I like him. Certainly one for the future. Predicted average 70.

Rourke Smith, 140k.

He's done a knee, out for most of the year. No. Predicted average -.

Zaine Cordy, 123k
Lock down player. Pick if he plays games, but I don't think he will play 5+. Looks a good player, but not in SC. Predicted average 37.

Marcus Adams, 117k

22 year old marking defender. If he plays get on him. It's either him, Collins or Hamling for chb. Big man, too. Ready to play AFL. Predicted average 67.

Kieran Collins, 117k.

So stoked to have him at the club. Huge defender, but not a sc player. If he plays he won't be touching the ball much. Predicted average 43.

Bailey Williams, 117k.

Can find the ball. Once got 56 touches in an under 18's game. But can't see him playing. Predicted average 34.

Bradley Lynch, 114k.

Running defender. Can't see him playing. Predicted average 39.

Midfielders:

Luke Dahlhaus, 563k (FWD).

This bloke is a star. I can't believe he is still a forward. He should be in every team. He was massive in picking up some of the slack when Libba went down, so there could be a concern he will drop back off with Tom coming back. But I can't see it being to much. Given he is a forward (which I don't understand, he played all last year in the guts) he simply has to be picked. Predicted average 102.

Marcus Bontempelli, 557k

I think everyone knows how I feel about Bontempelli given how I carried on last season. God he's good. I had him locked in until finding out he is on light duties until January. You just can't pick blokes missing any of preseason these days. But just to show how good he is, here's is some of his scores last year as a BLOODY 19 YEAR OLD!!! 126, 142, 142, 153, 147. Marcus is love, Marcus is life... If he starts slow then get on, but yeah, don't start with him unless he murders the NAB. Predicted average 1,000,000 (or lets say 109).

Jack Macrae, 539k

I think Jack's a really good pick. He is a SC ****. I picked him up after the bye last year and he averaged 107 for me. He developed more of an inside game, but he predominately gets the outside ball. Can go huge (eight 110+ scores), is pretty consistent (two scores below 80, both before round 6) and won't get tagged over Bontempelli or Libba. I really, really like this pick. Massive POD too compared to someone like Wines. I think he will be the highest averaging Bulldog in 2016. Predicted average 114.

Liam Picken, 535k.

Was one of the picks of 2015. But with Libba back and him only being a mid no one is gonna pick him. Would be a decent pick if still a defender, but he isn't. Predicted average 89.

Mitch Wallis, 531k.
Was great last year, and if you take out his two injury effected games his average goes above 100. Can go big too. 153, 136, 137, 138 are some of his bigger scores from 2015. I have no doubt his will average 100+ next season, but when you can get Libba, Crouch, Omeara for cheaper it just isn't worth it. Predicted average 101.

Koby Stevens, 466k.
Maybe as a forward, but not relevant as a mid with the options I listed under Wallis. Predicted average 82.

Lachie Hunter, 415k

Was 100% a lock until he became a mid only. He would still be a good pick and averaged 102 when he came back into the side vs Collingwood (so when he wasn't sub). So there's a lot of potential there for someone at 415k. High risk, high reward. Like I said earlier (and you could say for any mid priced mid), there's better options. Predicted average 91.

Tom Liberatore, 357k.

This is the one. He should be in every team. Averaged 107 and 110 in 2013 and 2014 before doing his knee in the NAB this year. Just pick him. Don't think about it, just do it. He is a SC star. Underpriced by 200k, he is a lock. I don't expect him to go straight to 110 average again, but he will be 100+. I don't but into out change of gameplan hurting him, why would it? He is a decent kick, so if anything this will help him. Just pick him. Predicted average 106.

Lin Jong, 347k (FWD)

Eh. A lot of Bulldogs supporters are big on him, me not so much. Can't see him playing 15+ games to make cash, can't see him averaging enough to make cash. Just a no. Predicted average 72.

Clay Smith, 237k (FWD)

Poor bloke has done his knee three times. Maybe a decent downgrade, but won't play for a while. Very talented player who just can't get on the park. Predicted average 71.

Bailey Dale, 168k.

Was sub sooooo much last year. With that rule gone he could be a decent pick, but it's hard to pick him over someone who is 50k less. Predicted average 58.

Declan Hamilton, 123k (FWD)

Wasn't that flash in the VFL last year, but like everyone this price watch if he plays. Predicted average 29.

Josh Dunkley, 117k.

I expect him to play a fair bit. Built like a man and played senior footy since 15. Can play fwd, mid and def. If he plays he should score well. Just depends on him getting games. Predicted average 72.

Rucks:

Will Minson, 407k.

Will was awesome a few years back, but you can't pick him now. Looks really fit atm, but it's been made pretty clear that Roughead is out #1 ruck going forward. I hope he gets a look in, cause he's a good player, but you'd be crazy to pick him. Predicted average 84.

Tom Campbell, 297k.
Same as Will. If he isn't #1 ruck, which he won't be, he won't score well. I like him as a player, though. Predicted average 74.

Luke Goetz, 102k.

Skinny as *. Won't play. Loophole option if you need one. Predicted average 12.

Forwards:

Jake Stringer, 425k.

The Package. What a star. He will be an awesome SC player in his prime, but not yet. Still lacks fitness which is scary in itself. Predicted average 85.

Tory Dickson, 414k.
Goal sneak. Can go big when he kicks a bag, but not an option. Predicted average 82.

Stewart Crameri, 395k.

Pretty much the same as Dickson. Just not a SC player. Predicted average 79.

Jack Redpath, 313k.

I'm repeating myself here, and will keep doing it. Not an option. Predicted average 61.

Mitch Honeychurch, 310k.

Blah, blah, blah. Not an option. We really don't have many SC FWD's but Dahl. Predicted average 67.

Nathan Hrovat, 301k.

He's a decent player. Only problem is whenever he gets a good run of form going he gets injured. Or he plays as sub. I really like him and think he can be an option, would be a ballsy pick, but he can play. Predicted average 81.

Caleb Daniel, 295k.
Was a good rookie last year, but for 295k he isn't worth it. Very impressive player, but not an option. Predicted average 74.

Tom Boyd, 284k.

He's gonna be good, really good, but not now. 284k for a developing kpp just won't work. Predicted average 61.

Toby McLean, 270k.

If I'm picking a mid priced forward it's going to be him. Has huge potential. Finds the ball, awesome mark, good user. This is probably my biggest call average wise out of this write up, but he just looks the good. I also think he's a good shout for rising star. Predicted average 86.

So that's everyone. Slowed down at the end, but I hope it's helpful. Look forward to reading other teams previews.

Draw analysis for purposes of selecting R3 as loophole/donut for C/VC scores.

Pts were awarded for what 3rd of each weeks schedule a team was playing (rd23 excluded due to exact schedule not yet released).

0pts - 1st third
1pt - 2nd third
3pts - 3rd third

Idea being to see which teams had more games later in each round.

This is not always ideal, as it is taken literally straight from the 2016 draw, so there would be some nuances associated with a slightly different rd (ie only 2 Sunday games), but it is was it is.

1. Team - Overall Total (#Games)

Melb - 37 (15)
Carl - 35 (15)
GWS - 34 (18)
WCE - 33 (15)
Ess - 33 (13)
Bris - 32 (16)
St.K - 32 (16)
Geel - 30 (14)
WBull - 29 (17)
GCS - 27 (17)
Freo - 27 (15)
Port - 26 (14)
Coll - 26 (12)
Ade - 24 (14)
Syd - 23 (13)
Nth - 19 (11)
Rich - 18 (10)
Haw - 16 (6)

2. Team - Overall Total less Byes (#Games)

WCE - 33 (15)
Bris - 31 (15)
Melb - 31 (13)
Carl - 31 (13)
GWS - 30 (16)
Ess - 30 (12)
St.K - 28 (14)
WBull - 27 (15)
Freo - 26 (14)
Geel - 26 (12)
Port - 25 (13)
GCS - 23 (15)
Coll - 23 (11)
Ade - 21 (13)
Syd - 19 (11)
Nth - 19 (11)
Rich - 17 (9)
Haw - 13 (5)

Basis for this is the amount of players not playing, byes become a non-issue when it comes to loophole VC/C.

3. Team - Total over 1st 12 games (#Games)

GWS - 21 (11)
WCE - 21 (9)
WBull - 20 (10)
Coll - 20 (8)
Bris - 19 (9)
Carl - 19 (9)
Melb - 19 (7)
Port - 18 (8)
Geel - 16 (8)
St.K - 16 (8)
Freo - 15 (9)
Syd - 15 (9)
GCS - 13 (9)
Nth - 13 (7)
Ess - 12 (6)
Haw - 10 (4)
Rich - 10 (6)
Ade - 8 (6)

Basis for this was that in the second half of the year, we tend to see more players missing games so natural progression of the game is that players for loophole opportunities 'just happen'. The first half of the year requires more planning for it.

So, standouts for mine, from the above tables, are GWS, WCE & Carlton.

Giles at 317k is lowest priced ruck for WCE, so he is dismissed.
Flynn at 117k is lowest priced GWS Ruck.
Korcheck at 102k is lowest priced Carl ruck.

None of these have R/Fwd DPP.

My preference, ATM, is Loersch from GCS at 102k, with R/Fwd DPP.

GCS have-
17 games overall v. 18 for GWS (highest)
15 games less byes v. 16 for GWS (highest)
9 games in 1st 12 before byes v. 11 for GWS (highest)

Another worthy option IMO would be Goetz (102k) from WBull, who have 10 of 1st 12 games in last 2/3rds of each round - but he has no DPP.

All FWIW.

Loved this thread last year, I'll give it a pre-Christmas go for the Tigers, still a lot of water to go under the bridge before the season starts though so I will do an update closer to round 1.

Defenders:

Alex Rance, 523,700k
He's a pretty solid choice down back, but you'd hope he would be given as he is one of the most expensive options. Given the turnaround we see in the top 10 defenders from year to year however, Rance probably is one of the better bets to not drop out of that group, given his play style is not limited to gathering possessions and more importantly the fact he is just a bloody good player in his prime. Hard to see his performance dropping off anytime soon and with that you'd suspect his supercoach scores should stay about the same. He's a solid choice who should stay around where he is and quite likely will be top 10 at the end of the year, but given his position as a Tall it's unlikely he will improve on his average a whole lot. Predicted Average: 100

Bachar Houli, 516,000k
Had a great year last season both in terms of football proper and supercoach, where his improved consistency and composure saw him in the top 10 defenders for the season with an average of around 95. In his prime now, I imagine he'd want to maintain that level, although to be fair to him, he's managed to improve every year since coming to the tigers so I won't rule out further improvement. Interesting to see how the arrival of Yarran will effect him, on one hand it could make life easier as he no longer carries the title of our sole rebounder, however there is some suggestion he and Yarran could switch between forward/defence. Given his price tag I'd want to see how he is tracking before picking him. Predicted average: 95

Nick Vlastuin, 410,400k

Will be a very good supercoach option at some point, the question is when. Upped his average by 10 to a healthy 76 last season, which having not really got his attacking game going yet didn't really do him justice as he a great year down back and finished 6th in the Tigers best and fairest. Improving his attacking output will see him improve again, and should he make the inevitable move to become an inside mid this pre-season could be a very tempting option. Given how effective he was down back last year however, I suspect he will be given another year down back before making that move. Predicted average: 82

Chris Yarran, 400,100k

Yarran is a very hard one to place, has the ability to average high numbers as previously proven, but can also be very bad as well. A change of environment could do him the world of good, however the word is he is still on the road to recovery from a hamstring injury and struggling for fitness at this early stage. You'd be a brave man to pick him at that price, yet he has the ability to make it a masterstroke (Should he get fit, I think he will be given a bit of a licence around halfback/wing and be a pretty decent option). Predicted average: 85

Troy Chaplin, 398,800k
You know what you're going to get with Chaplin, for the most part solid part of a defence with great leadership skills with a brainfade every now and then, with an average somewhere in the 70s. Expect somewhat of the same from him in 2016, however now starting to push 30, there is a hope that he will at some point be pushed out of the team by one of the youngsters further below. Not really relevant one would think. Predicted average: 71

Taylor Hunt, 362,000k

All things considered he did pretty well for himself last year considering he was delisted at the end of 2014 and given a 1 year lifeline by the Tigers. Earned himself a place in the side and played a mostly solid season with some pretty good games sprinkled between as the 7th member of the defence. You wouldn't expect him to do much more than that this coming season and pretty likely he becomes depth sooner than later. Predicted average: 65

David Astbury, 308,900k

The first who will be eying off Chaplin's spot, after a great start to 2014 which was then ruined by injury, Astbury struggled to regain that top form to cement a spot in Richmond's backline. Was dependable and solid in the VFL, but the consistency of those in the AFL side and the lack of standout performances meant his play time was limited. He'd be hoping to improve on that in 2016, but even if he does, you wouldn't expect a great average in doing so. Predicted average: 65

Jake Batchelor, 297,300k

Similar to Hunt in the way he secured himself a spot in the side and kept it for the whole season, and while his supercoach stats indicate he's no star, he got the job done most weeks and was rarely beaten. Struggled a bit offensively and whilst it will definitely be a major focus for him this pre-season, you doubt any improvement would be enough for him to seriously become a supercoach option. Predicted average: 60

Dylan Grimes, 270,800k

Supercoach is simply not designed for Dylan Grimes, who despite finally getting his body together and putting together a fine season down back, barely offered a yelp in terms of supercoach. That is unlikely to change in all honesty, should continue to improve as a player but is one of those guys who probably is just never going to be much good at supercoach regardless of how good a player he becomes. Predicted average: 55

Steven Morris, 261,700k (FWD)

Played out of position at the start of the season in order to fill the high-pressure small-forward role vacated by Jake King, his ferocity at the play and pressure acts could never be questioned but his ability to find the ball and most importantly kick goals was sorely lacking and it was to the relief of most Richmond supporters when the coaching staff finally pulled the pin on the experiment and dropped him midway through the year. Played a game or two later on in his preferred small back role and performed decently, but even then his supercoach relevance was minimal. Depth and unlikely to figure even if he does get games. Predicted average: 55

Todd Elton, 131,100k

Another one in the Astbury boat who would be eying Chaplin's KPD spot. Massive unit who was shown a lot of faith by the club in giving him a 3 year contract towards the end of the season, but one would think he'd be a long shot at this stage of locking down a spot, and even if he did, his game style is probably not suited to supercoach in any case. Probably avoid, which is a shame given his price tag. Predicted average: 45

Nathan Drummond, 123,900k

Got himself an early debut in his first season, and was going along alright until he tragically tore his ACL midway through his first game. The fact he played so early last year suggests he could push for selection all things going well, but isn't in full training yet and don't think he will figure too much early one. Potentially a mid-year downgrade if he can get some confidence back in that knee and string some good footy together. Predicted average: 55

Jason Castagna, 117,300k
The first thing standing in his way is the fact that he is rookie listed, so will need an upgrade before he can play, however it should be noted he did earn himself one at the backend of last season even though he never quite made it into the final 22. Considered quite a raw prospect coming in, he developed a lot quicker than expected, and certainly can find the ball in spades which usually translates well into supercoach. One to keep an eye out for if he can play some good footy and earn himself an upgrade. Predicted average: 60

Nathan Broad, 117,300k

In some ways probably the best chance to play of any of the cheap guys, being a strong mature aged player coming into the system, reportedly impressing out on the track so far as well. Plays the sort of 3rd tall role although is also a capable rebounder, so is probably competing with Grimes and Batchelor for a spot, the latter of which he could conceivably give a run for his money if he starts well. Like most of the cheapies down back, game time could be hard to come by given the defence has been Richmond's most consistent and settled line for the last few seasons, probably the best performed too. Predicted average: 55

Midfielders

Dustin Martin, 569,300k (FWD)
First thing in the way is obviously the chopstick saga, so any consideration towards starting with him obviously revolves around the outcome of that. Given the media hysteria around the whole thing it's hard to see him escaping suspension even if he gets cleared by Police of the most serious allegations, so could be an upgrade target. Aside from that he'd be a lock in my forward line, upped his average to around 105 this year and i'd expect that to improve again, still learning the game and still building his tank. Add to that his durability and he is a must have in the forward line. Predicted average: 109

Brandon Ellis, 541,100k
Despite improving his average to 100 I thought Brandon had a bit of a down year last season compared to 2014 when he made the All-Australian squad. Similar to a Macrae type in that he is prolific on gathering the ball on the outside but his inside and defensive games need work. Still very young and so I'm not sure he's quite ready to make the jump into the elite category of mids, but holding his average of 100 is nothing to laugh at. Probably better options this year. Predicted average: 101

Trent Cotchin, 538,600k

The question with Trent is simply when will he return to his 2012 version where he took games on and was a destructive force. Sustained niggling injuries certainly haven't helped but almost certainly receiving the captaincy has effected his output. He's changed his game to be much more defensive, much more team oriented, trying to set an example for his teammates in terms of doing the hard stuff. That is all well and good, but when he got within a vote of winning the Brownlow playing attacking exciting football it's a bit of a shame. I think he will figure it out at some stage, and I think the additions of Townsend and Moore are in no small part designed to give Cotch a chop out in the middle to free him up to become that player again, but given the multitude of quality cheap options this year you'd want a pretty clear indicator he was going back to that form before picking him. Predicted average: 105

Anthony Miles, 526,100k

Ripper little player who has been one of the feel good stories over the last few seasons after getting delisted by GWS. Tenacious little guy who gets the job done every week on the inside, his consistency would appeal in terms of supercoach but probably lacks the ceiling of others as his outside game isn't very strong. Yet another who probably is a solid option around the 100 mark, which in the midfield probably isn't enough come the end of the year. Predicted average: 100

Shane Edwards, 492,800k (FWD)

Predicted in this thread last year that he was one who I wouldn't be surprised if he had a great year and averaged 90+, and he proved that to be true. Started the year like a house on fire, being Richmond's best player over the first 10 or so rounds and definitely right in the thick of early AA discussions, before a fractured leg put the brakes on his season. Never quite regained that top form after he came back, and his game isn't really suited to supercoach that well so despite being just about my favourite Richmond player probably won't average enough to be a keeper, although with DPP if he can regain that early form from last year he could be a decent F5/6 if he can push his average up towards 100, upgrade target if so, but wouldn't start with him. Predicted average: 95

Shaun Grigg, 492,000k

Turned himself into a solid and dependable player, which is a lot more than you would have said of him a few years ago. Has gone from the universal whipping boy to relatively respected which on the Richmond board isn't an easy thing to do (inb4 ferals), and his ability to find large amounts of the ball means his supercoach average usually resides somewhere in the 90s. Healthy enough, but not what you'd be aiming for in the middle. Predicted average: 91

Kane Lambert, 364,200k (FWD)

After a serious injury on debut, Lambert came back and performed admirably, a few standout performances allowing him to play most of the back half of the year and play in the final. You'd expect him to build on that with another season under his belt and improve on his first year average, however he would be an expensive mid-pricer and paying that much for someone who is unlikely to average near 100 or even is assured to be playing regular footy would be brave. Predicted average: 78

Kamdyn McIntosh, 350,700k

Had a really good first year of AFL footy for a bloke who is still pretty raw in a lot of aspects. To be able to hold his own and play just about every game after having his first 2 seasons on the list destroyed by injury is a pretty big testament to the guy. Still has a lot of improvement and upside left in him and I would think he could well take more strides forward this year, enough to be SC relevant though? Probably not in 2016. Predicted average: 75

Jacob Townsend, 302,200k
In a glut of players including Lambert, Moore, Corey Ellis etc who are all searching for one of those final bench spots, however I think Townsend's chances at this stage of playing are pretty good. We went after him pretty hard and he must have been excited as to what the Tigers had to offer him as he turned down a 2 year deal that was on the table from GWS to cross over. Big strong bodied type who can find the pill and is manic defensively, I think there is a pretty good chance he plays a lot of footy this year seeing as North destroyed us on the inside in the EF and all too often Cotchin and Miles are given next to no protection in there. Shame he played that last game of the season and scored pretty well, if he was sub 200k or thereabouts he would definitely be an option because he should score ok, but at this price maybe not. Predicted average: 80

Reece Conca, 284,100k (FWD)
It's all about whether Reece can stay on the park. He gets injured, comes back and has a really promising game or two, struggles with fitness a bit and gets injured again. That's been the pattern over the last few years and one that he will hopefully break this season, having an uninterupted pre-season thus far and looking as fit as he has ever been. Could appeal as a forward but I think given his injury history he's probably one to let through to the keeper until he can prove he can stay on the park, that said he can score alright in terms of SC. Predicted average: 79

Andrew Moore, 267,600k
Thrown a lifeline after leaving Port, Moore is another who will be hunting one of those final spots in Richmond's 22. As a big bodied mid his case is strengthened similarly to Townsend as it's a position we haven't adequately filled since the departures of Jackson and Tuck, and given he performs I think he will play enough AFL footy next year. Hasn't been a great supercoach scorer in the past however and with uncertainty over his spot he would be a pass from me. Predicted average: 69

Corey Ellis, 193,400k (FWD)

One for the NAB watchlist is Corey, very highly rated internally, got himself the nickname 'Silk' after his first training session, and I myself would certainly be helping he plays a lot of footy this coming season. Isn't helped by the fact the 18-25 range on our list is incredibly even and there is a whole lot of ways they could go for those final spots, but if he is playing well I have no doubt Richmond will pump games into him. Watch as a forward potentially. Predicted average: 67

Connor Menadue, 155,400k (FWD)

Another one Richmond are very bullish about, Richmond had to take extra time for their second pick in the 2014 draft as they couldn't believe that both Menadue and Blakely were still on the board. Ended up going Menadue who is more of a long term project being extremely lightly built. Did well to play a few games in his debut season considering this but is probably a few seasons away before we start to really start to see him emerge as a damaging player. Unless he comes alongs in leaps and bounds this pre-season it's probably a no at this stage, at least for your starting team. Predicted average: 55

Jordan Short, 117,300k (FWD)

Rookie listed which immediately puts him down the pecking order, started off his season in the VFL pretty strongly before dropping off a bit and then picking up a season ending injury. Has shown a bit so far but still would have to do a lot to be there round 1, so that is probably out of the question. One who could gain a mid-season promotion and get given a chance potentially if he shows strong form in the VFL. Predicted average: 55

Adam Marcon, 102,400k

He is Kane Lambert mkII, which is fitting considering the two are best mates. Has been a prolific and excellent VFL player over the last few years and has finally been given a shot after being overlooked 4 or 5 times. There is an upgrade there for the taking and Marcon would be the early favourite to take it. Like Lambert would be hoping he can cement a spot in the side and if he does than absolutely jump on. Predicted average: 67

Rucks:

Ivan Maric, 514,900k
You've got to love the guy, spiritual leader of the club and a super bloke, but you'd have to question whether he still should be in the question in terms of the elite rucks. His crash and bash style means his body is an increasingly fragile proposition, and he isn't getting any younger. Think he will still be serviceable enough, but wouldn't suprise me if his output drops a little and he misses a few games with injury, Richmond definitely in the hunt for a new ruckman in 2017 is the word. Predicted average: 92

Shaun Hampson, 308,900k
Think he could see more game time this year in order to give Maric a rest at times, but not enough to make him a viable option, unless Maric were to go down. Showed in 2014 that when he is given the chance to solo ruck he scores decently enough, however the despite the fact he is one the better tap ruckmen going around, his lack of presence around the ground means he isn't really a viable option as a second ruck. Also having struggles with an ongoing knee issue. Leuy a much better option at his price you would think. Predicted average: 71

Ivan Soldo, 117,300k

Younger cousin of Ivan, Category B rookie who came from a basketball background last year. Absolute monster of a man, but still a long, long way off it and it would be miraculous if he saw any game time this coming season. Not cheap enough nor does he have DPP to make him a viable R3 option. Predicted average: 30

Mabior Chol, 102,400k (FWD)

Looks like a talent this bloke, exceptional skills for a big bloke which is hopefully a sign he is more than an athlete trying to become a footballer like we see with so many young rucks. As a first year ruck you wouldn't expect him to see much game time at all but at basment price with DPP could be a good loophole option, although Richmond don't play a lot of Sunday games which counts against him. Predicted average: 42

Forwards

Brett Deledio, 608,800k
Really found a niche up forward, rewarded with AA honours and starts as the highest priced forward in 2016. He will be in my team to start with, along with Dusty and Dahl I see as the sure bets up forward for the coming season. Deledio is in his prime at the moment and I think he will maintain his average and his consistency and durability makes him a great supercoach option. Lock for the top 5 forwards. Predicted average: 108

Jack Reiwoldt, 493,000k
Changed his role to a more team orientated, selfless role in 2015 and it really worked for him, his goals not drying up but also becoming much more involved in general play. Extremely smart player who is very highly skilled, can really be a weapon along half forward and was rewarded with his second AA. Despite this he is still a key forward, and for the most part they don't reach the upper echelon of scoring, so despite how well he played last year he only reached an average of about 95 and you don't see him going too much past that. Predicted average: 95

Tyrone Vickery, 419,700k

Had a good year last year Tyrone, improving to cement himself as our second tall forward/2nd ruck option. Would be relatively happy with how his year went but would be looking to build on that again and become that 40 goal second forward he threatened to be from early on in his career. Still probably not what you are looking for in terms of supercoach even though he will have the occasional big game. Predicted average: 80

Ben Griffiths, 356,100k

Unfulfilled potential is what comes to mind when I think of Ben Griffiths, huge tank, great contested mark and the ability to kick it 70m of a few steps gives him the tools to be the prototype tall forward, but for whatever reason he hasn't quite put it all together despite teasing to do so at times. The abolition of the sub rule means teams are more likely to play a 3rd genuine tall forward, which is good news from him, and he will want to show a good deal of improvement to stop him from falling back into the depth pile. He has a game which could be quite suited to SC if he ever puts it all together but at this point you wouldn't bank on it for 2016. Predicted average: 69

Ben Lennon, 304,000k

Showed some really good signs towards the backend of last year when he broke into the team, with a few standout games showing us what we can expect from him in the future and showing why he was a first round pick. Was very controversially dropped for the elimination final for an underdone Griffiths which backfired big time as Lennon who was in good form watched from the stands and Griffiths with no match practice or fitness for a few months struggled to get involved. Would have predicted a big year from Ben after his strong end to the season where he really started to put his game together but unfortunately now he has come down with a case of glandular fever which puts his level of involvement in the coming season in doubt. It is reportedly mild so hopefully he will be back on the track in no time and put a full season but I'll temper my expectations of him a bit, probably a no go at 300k. Predicted average: 70

Sam Lloyd, 274,800k

Small forward is a position where Richmond have struggled with over the last few years, last season playing significant games without a genuine options and rotating mids such as Edwards to play as the small forward. This would have hurt Lloyd who goes into 2016 as our most experienced small forward. Old fashioned player in the sense he has a high football IQ and knows where the goals are but struggles athletically and as a result also with his defensive pressure. To make it in the current AFL climate he will need to get a lot fitter, but if he can do that he will be a handy enough player. Probably still a no in terms of supercoach however, not a big winner of the ball. Predicted average: 60

Daniel Rioli, 157,800k

Richmond looked to address their small forward problem by recruiting Rioli with their first pick of the 2015 draft. Exciting small forward with all the tricks you'd expect from a Rioli with a massive tank to match. There is probably a spot for him if he's good enough, small forward is often a position where kids can step in and play a role, however Daniel looks a little bit raw to me so I'm not sure he will have a massive impact season one. One who could surprise though, you never know with those Rioli's. Predicted average: 55

Liam McBean, 150,600k

McBean is an enigma, cult hero for the fans, seen as too skinny and with too many holes in his game to break into the AFL side as of yet, but just keeps kicking goals for fun in the VFL. Think he won the VFL goalkicking this year after finishing second by a goal in 2014 or something like that. Plays almost as a small/medium crumbing player despite being 200cm, he is truly an odd player to watch but at VFL level at least he has proved to be very effective. Most would agree that however impressive his statistics over the last few years have been, still has a lot of things to work on if he is to make it to AFL level. Really not sure where to place him, think he will get more games after getting his debut this year, but I don't envision him being a big scorer in any case and has rightfully lost his ruck DPP. Predicted average: 50

Daniel Butler, 123,900k

Small forward who was drafted in 2014 who a lot of people were bullish about but had nearly his entire season derailed by injury. Hopefully we get a look what he can do in this coming season but you would have to think he would have to do something pretty special if he were to get a game early on. Potentially a downgrade target later on in the year but considering his first season was a non-event I think 2016 is likely to be a development season for him. Predicted average: 50

Reece McKenzie, 123,900k

Was one of the big surprises when he slid all the way into the 70s in the 2014 draft, but there were definitely reasons for it, had some elite qualities with sky high potential but also still had a lot of major flaws and was a long way off being a polished product. That's sort of where we are still at with Reece, whose contested marking was a feature last year but didn't have a whole lot of scoreboard impact. Needs to really work on his tank to get to more contests and kick more goals. Unlikely to figure much at AFL level for a year or two yet, but still one to look for in the future. Predicted average: 40

Oleg Markov, 117,300k

Athletic medium forward who had a few massive games in the championships coupled with some pretty quiet ones. Consistency is certainly the knock on him which is why he was overlooked in 2014 but his best is very good. Chocco Williams called his first training session 'the best first training run I've ever seen' which considering how long he has been around and who he has coached is a pretty big wrap and potentially makes him a bolter if he can keep that sort of form up. I'd think he would probably struggle to break into the AFL forward line competing with the likes of Deledio, Edwards and Lennon for a spot but is probably the best bet as a Richmond forward rookie. Predicted average: 55

Callum Moore, 112,900k

First pick in the rookie draft this year and was one many expected to go in the national draft. In terms of supercoach I don't think he will be much of an option however, being a KPP rookie, who has played most of his footy as a forward but will be turned into a defender by Richmond so will have to re-learn his game back there. You'd think this would be the definition of the development year and considering he isn't even bargain priced there isn't too much appeal to him this year. Predicted average: 45

Last edited:

My thoughts on Freo.

The Short Version

Good Picks

Lachie Neale
David Mundy
Michael Barlow
Harley Bennell
Shane Yarran

Potential Picks
Lachlan Weller
Conner Blakely
Ed Langdon
Anthony Morabito

Wait and See
Nat Fyfe
Tom Sheridan

Defenders

Michael Johnson $435k
Awkward price and has had issues with injuries over the last two seasons. With McPharlin now retired Johnson may have to take a more accountable role in the backline and let Ibbotson be the loose defender. Would not pick.
Predicted average 85-90pts

Garrick Ibbotson $433k
His shoulder injuries are behind him so I would expect him to play every game. He is a great intercept marker and will have some high scoring games against clubs that just love to ‘bomb’ it long. However he isn’t the best user of the ball or a big tackler so if he isn’t intercepting he isn’t scoring very much. Would not pick.
Predicted average 85pts

Clancee Pearce $421k (MID)
Had a great start to last year and was quite the pick up at only $278k. As the season went on though he dropped off, he was relegated to Peel Thunder for a few rounds and struggled to regain form. He was brought back for the finally two rounds of the H&A season while players were rested and was the sub for the QF. He will be a fringe player moving forward as some of our younger recruits start getting more games. Would not pick.
Predicted average 75-80pts

Lee Spurr $392k
Will play every game. Lock into the best 22. Hard as a cat’s head, good all-rounder but isn’t SC relevant. Would not pick.
Predicted average 75pts

Cam Sutcliffe $355k
Was dropped to Peel Thunder for 2 games last year due to poor performance but got back into the 22 and I would be fairly confident in saying he will play all games next year in the backline. Doesn’t play a SC friendly role. Would not pick.
Predicted average 65pts

Tom Sheridan $351k

Has played 38 games in total, 11 of those being the sub. He will be 22 years old next season going into his 5th season.

Broke into the best 22 and played 19 games in 2015, 3 of those games as the sub. Had an unfortunate end to the season with the dropped mark but overall he had a great year. He grew in confidence as the season went on and started taking the game on with some beautiful line breaking runs. Played in the backline and did well when he had to defend 1 on 1. Once he started getting comfortable in the side his run and carry improved dramatically and he became quite an asset in the backline moving the ball quickly and effectively up the ground.

Anyway onto the SC relevant information.

He is currently priced at $351,100 (65.1pts)
His last 8 games* that weren't sub effected he averaged:
91.75 SC points
22 disposals (kicks twice as much as he handballs)
80.83% disposal efficiency
2.9 tackles
5.5 marks

*Freo's two finals against Swans and Hawks were included in these stats.

Am I being selective by only including his last 8 games? Yes. Sherro's first half of the season was noticeably average in terms of SC. But at the start of the season he had only played 19 games in his whole career and was sub in 8 of those games. As soon as he started getting consistent game time he improved.

Question is can he keep up that average? Can he improve further?

He's an awkward price and it would be a big risk but I would at least keep an eye on him during the NAB
Predicted average 80-85pts

Alex Pearce $275k
My BF buddy for the year, this kid is going to be a star. Broke into the 22 last year due to our backline being decimated and performed admirably in the backline and did alright as a forward (surprised he doesn’t have duel position). Due to Freo’s forward line woes it’s still unclear whether he will play forward or back. Most of us on BF think he should be McPharlin’s replacement as that is where he seems most suited. He should be in the 22 at start of season but as a tall defender plays a role that isn’t SC friendly. Would not pick.
Predicted average 50-55pts

Ethan Hughes $268k
A late convert to AFL, last season at Peel he improved immensely as the weeks passed. He played in the B-mantle side that took on Port in Rnd 23 and was listed as one of our best on ground. He got 71pts for that game so he now has an awkward price this year. I expect him to play a handful of games this year but he won’t be lining up come Rnd 1 unless injuries/amazing NAB form. Would not pick.
Predicted average 60-65pts

Tanner Smith $262k
Tanner also played in the B-mantle side and performed well as a tall defender, he locked down on Schulz and managed to score 81 points for himself so he’s ruined his price tag for this year. I expect he will only get a handful of games if that. Would not pick.
Predicted average 40pts

Zac Dawson $221k
The enigma, the legend, the lock down specialist. He will play every game that he isn’t suspended for, he is the Antichrist of SC.
Predicted average 40pts

Alex Silvagni $182k
Not relevant, is backup only and even then I would suspect the match committee would prefer getting games into Smith, Collins and Hughes over Silvagni. Would not pick.
Predicted average 35-40pts

Sam Collins $117k
Is 21yrs old and has the mature body to step straight in but not sure who’s spot he would take. I think he will play the majority of the season for Peel with a few token games for Freo. Could potential play forward but again not sure who’s spot he would take. Will be watching his performance in the NAB games. Would not pick.
Predicted average 40-50pts

Sean Hurley $117k
Our Irish Cat-B rookie, not relevant yet.

Darcy Tucker $117k

Would be amazed if he got more than one or two token games near the end of the season. Would have to be a standout performer during the NAB games to break into the 22. Would not pick.

Ryan Nyhuis $102k
Rookie, not relevant.

Midfielders

Nathan Fyfe $670k
We will need to wait and see what happens during the NAB games. The risk is that the $670k price tag is for Nat Fyfe the inside midfielder, we don’t know if Nat will be able to maintain those numbers in the forward line. Could be a handy upgrade target if his numbers do drop off, especially if he later moves back into the midfield fulltime. Wait and see.
Predicted average 90-130pts

David Mundy $612k
I expect Mundy to maintain last year’s super consistent scores. Only dropped below 90 once and that was with a score of 85. He had 11 scores over 110 with some big scores in there too (150, 129, 133, 122, 133, 122, 129). He’s in career best form at the moment. Good pod choice IMO.
Predicted average 115pts

Lachie Neale $562k
Had his best season last year and that was coming off an injury interrupted preseason. He was in the top 10 for disposals and maintained a 75% disposal efficiency which is pretty good for an inside mid. He’s only 22yrs old and I expect him to improve again this season.
Predicted average 110pts

Stephen Hill $517k
A big favourite of mine. He cops the tag every week which does limit his output. Two teams didn’t tag him last year, West Coast and Geelong and he got (136, 149, 144). The additional of Bennell could mean Stephen gets off the hook more often. But at his current price it would be a fairly risky pick. I wouldn’t pick him because he can be tagged out of the game. So if he has one or two good games the next coach will likely put the hard tag on him. Would not pick.
Predicted average 95-100pts

Danyle Pearce $433k
He will be in the starting best 22, I think Pearce’s best days are behind him and I don’t see his SC scores improving. Would not pick.
Predicted average 70-75pts

Nick Suban $353k
Awkward price and I don’t see much upside, will be on the fringe with more skilled youth coming through the ranks Would not pick.

Tendai Mzungu $351k
Awkward price and I don’t see much upside, will be on the fringe with more skilled youth coming through the ranks Would not pick.

Matt De Boer $289k (FWD)
Predicted average 50-55pts

Brady Grey $238k
Has an awkward price due to the B-mantle game, can play in the midfield but played as a lock down small defender against Port. Kept Wingard goalless, limited his influence on the game and managed 63 pts for himself. Rated very highly by Ross but is probably going to struggle to displace Spurr. Expect him to play 3-5 games.
Predicted average 60pts

Ed Langdon $231k (FWD)
Managed two games last year and didn’t look out of place. I expect him to play more games as the soldiers (Subes, De Boer, Mzungu, Clancee) get less. Performance in the NAB games will be telling. Probably wouldn’t pick at that price better options.
Predicted average 55-60pts

Lachlan Weller $206k
Speaking of better options, Mr Handsome himself. Early reports from our training watchers have said he has bulked up over the off-season (6kgs…….jokes) and is looking good in the drills. He has great skills and we are expecting a good season from him. Hopefully he gets a crack in the best 22 first up and doesn’t let it go.
Predicted average 65-70pts

Conner Blakely $159k
Another of the younger brigade that played in the B-mantle game. He didn’t perform as well as expected so his price is reasonable. He is rated highly by the club and did very well last year for Peel. I expect him to challenge the current fringe midfielders for a spot early on. One to watch.
Predicted average 65-70pts

Anthony Morabito $123k
Currently in full training and apparently fit and healthy. Is now on the rookie list so not relevant yet. Look out for a mid-season upgrade onto the main list.
Predicted average 70pts

Harley Balic $117k
Similar to Tucker I would be amazed if he got more than one or two token games near the end of the season. Would have to be a standout performer during the NAB games to break into the 22. Would not pick.

Josh Deluca $117k
Rookie listed. Not relevant.

Rucks

Aaron Sandilands $581k
Finished the season off really well with the highest ‘last 5 game average’ in the whole comp (139). His body has held up really well over the last two seasons and he has had no injury concerns. I think he would be a safe option and a great pod. However I think there are better alternatives at that price.
Predicted average 110pts

Zac Clarke $356k (FWD)
Struggled as the season went on and lost his spot to Griffin. Still isn’t in full training yet and is now behind Griffin. Would not pick.
Predicted average 65 pts

Jon Griffin $303k (FWD)
Should be in the best 22 come round 1. He will provide a chop out to Sandilands but spend most time in the forward line which will hamper his SC output. Would not pick unless Sandi goes down.
Predicted average 75pts

Jack Hannath $242k (FWD)
Will not get more than a few token games if that. Would not pick.
Predicted average 50pts

Forwards

Harley Bennell $548k (MID)

The unknown, at Gold Coast he went big on plenty of occasions, he is a gun. How he goes at Freo will depend on a few things. If Fyfe plays forward Bennell will spend more time in the midfield. Will a more structured team allow Bennell to flourish or will it cramp his style. Not really sure until the NAB games.
Predicted average 105-110pts

Michael Barlow $505k (MID)
Could be a bargain if he plays in the middle. When he played in the middle against Port he went big (142) and his numbers from 13-14 when he played on the inside back this up too. It will all depend on the midfield setup.
Predicted average 105pts

Chris Mayne $548k
Awkward price and I don’t see much upside, could possible lose his spot to Yarran. Would not pick.
Predicted average 80-85pts

Matthew Pavlich $440k
Will be managed throughout the season more than likely. Not SC relevant
Predicted average 80pts

Michael Walters $439k
Gets better every year. Will be rotated into the midfield to help with the new interchange cap.
Predicted average 85-90pts

Hayden Ballantyne $301k
Even in his AA year he only averaged 76pts and I don’t see him going past that number. Would not pick.
Predicted average 70-75pts

Matthew Taberner $242k
Awkward price, he was the sub multiple times last year so his price is on the lower end of the spectrum. Should be given plenty of opportunity to cement his spot because he is our best option after Pav in the Tall forward department. I expect him to be more of a target in the F50 this year so I expect him to kick more goals. Better options are available below his price though. Would not pick.
Predicted average 65pts

Hayden Crozier $227k
Just signed on for a two year deal, coming into his third year I expect him to cement his spot in the team. Has the talent but struggles to get involved, has had a few breakout games but few and far between. Would not pick.
Predicted average 50-60pts

Michael Apeness $123k
Still coming back from knee injury. Would not pick.

Shane Yarran $117k
Leading goal scorer in the WAFL, kicked 5 goals in the WAFL grand final. I don't think Freo drafted a 26yr old to play for Peel. Should be fighting with Mayne for the third tall spot. If his NAB form is good I expect him to be lining up come Round 1.
Predicted average 80pts

Matthew Uebergang $106k
Skinny as a rake rookie. Not SC relevant

Last edited:
I try and do Adelaide, not in full sorry.

Mids

Sloane 550
Super consistent last year, not usually injury prone but copped a few knocks in the cheekbone last year. No danger so I'd imagine he'd get more ball. Lock.

Thompson 550
His body is a temple, I'd expect 100-110. Will get more inside ball with danger gone. Better options available, too expensive, pass.

Douglas 500

Went downhill last year, pass. Might come good though.

Yolmen 350
Heard from a mate he was off his face in town the other day. Drooling. Pass

Grigg 300
Pass

M. Crouch 350
Smokey for mine, he has some competition at 300-350k though. Could see him increase by 100-150k. Think about it.

B. Crouch 300
Was 50/50 to start pre season as normal, I don't know if he did or not. Wait and see nab form. Lock if he is fully fit, any complaints and avoid for now.

Lyons 250
Watch nab form, could go big with opportunity. Much better mid prices available, pass.

Gore 120
Apparently a very disciplined trainer. Wait and see if named round 1.

Def

Laird 500
500 is probably a bit much, love his hardness and reliability when he is near the ball but don't know if he can continue his 2015 form. Consider.

Smith 400
Coach wants him to play HB where he was AA. His confidence is an issue. Highly recommend.

Seedsman 300
Guess you could say he had a lazy 2015 bar Anzac Day. Very talented, watch for pre season reports/nab form. Consider lightly.

Shaw 200
Apparently looking like a beast this season. Defense is highly competitive, probably avoid but a smokey.

Otten 150
Interrupted pre season, possible downgrade target later in season. Avoid

Fwd

Lynch 470

Gun, had a super 2015 but averaged 88. Not a terrible pick but there is better to pick from.

Betts 450
Tough draw early on wont help him, pass.

Walker 450

Eh, apparently he is destroying everyone in pre season. Smokey.

Menzel 250
Might get midfield time since there really isn't much room for him up forward, watch nab role/form. Probably pass.

Rucks

Jacobs

If you want to go for a sub 600k ruckman and there is no R3, he is your man. Safe option for mine.

Last edited:
Thanks Unique Name for the prices.

Defenders

Jarrad McVeigh, $542k (MID) :fire:

Has regained Def/Mid DPP after a 2015 season in which he averaged just over 100 points whilst splitting time between defence and midfield. I'd expect him to average around the 100 mark again in the 2016 season however he may struggle a bit after post season knee surgery. I would expect him to spend a lot of time in a HBF role, but also rotating through the midfield. He'll be 31 years old early next season which is worth keeping in mind as it would be normal to expect some sort of decline. Personally I will not be starting with him as a) I think he will drop in price and b) Uncertain what role he is going to play, but he is certainly a good target for a mid-season upgrade. Predicted average: 98

Dane Rampe, $458k :footy:

Coming off a year where he averaged a career best 85, a 9 point increase on 2014, Rampe can be expected to continue to improve in 2016. He will have more opportunities to play in the midfield, whilst if Talia is selected it will free up Rampe from having to play a key defensive role. He could be a good pick if you are looking for a left-field choice. Predicted average: 90

Heath Grundy, $422k

Played some great football last season and should continue this in 2016, however he is not a SC relevant player. Predicted average: 75

Nick Smith, $390k

He's averaged from 66-72 in the last 5 years and will likely continue to do so in 2016. Great player but like most lockdown players, not SC relevant. Predicted average: 70

Michael Talia, $390k

In 14 games last year he averaged 73 and I can't see him improving on this too much in his first season with the Swans. He may not make the best 22 but personally I consider him best 22. Not SC relevant. Predicted average: 70

Jeremy Laidler, $374k

Has managed to establish himself as a certainty in the best 22 and is a hard-working player but like many defenders is not SC relevant. Predicted average: 65

Ted Richards, $329k

Last season there was a notable decline from Richards, struggling to contain some of the bigger forwards and posting his worst SC average since 2006. He wasn't SC relevant at his peak and he certainly isn't now. Predicted average: 55

Zak Jones, 257k

His price is lower than it should be due to numerous games as the sub, in full games he averaged 59 points last year. I think he will improve on that 59 this year, but he is awkwardly priced for mine, too expensive for a cash cow but highly unlikely to develop into a keeper. Predicted average: 65

Xavier Richards, $250k

Just like his brother Ted he plays a role and style that are unfriendly to SC. Adding to this, I can't see him playing unless there are injuries. Predicted average: 45*

Aliir Aliir, $124k

Like X.Richards I doubt he plays unless there are injuries, promising young KPD but even if he gets a string of games in the AFL he won't make enough $$$ to be worthwhile. Predicted average: 45*

Alex Johnson, $124k

Injured :(

Tyrone Leonardis, $117k
Small/medium defender who is not afraid to take the game on, likely to spend 2016 developing in the NEAFL. Predicted average: 55*

Harry Marsh, $117k

Redrafted as a rookie after being delisted from the senior list. Can't see him playing in 2016. Predicted average: 50*

Lewis Melican, $117k

Another rookie listed player, the 194cm Melican is unlikely to see AFL action in 2016. Predicted average: 45*

Nic Newman, $117k

Rookie listed. Similar type of player to Leonardis, if he does manage to get promoted to the senior list and into the team then he should see some decent price rises. Predicted average: 60*

Colin O'Riordan, $102k

The Irishman will be highly unlikely to play AFL in 2016. He is a good size (188cm, 86kg) and can kick the ball well so he may emerge as an option in 2017. Predicted average: 50*

Midfielders

Dan Hannebery, $618k :fire:
Dan was the 3rd highest scoring player last season with 2,519 total points as well as boasting the 6th highest average (114.5). He's one of the top midfielders of the competition and will no doubt be solid choice for your midfield if you elect to start with him. Predicted average: 115

Josh P. Kennedy, $595k :hearts:

Kennedy was the 7th highest scoring player last season, notching 2,425 total points at an average of 110. Since emerging as an elite midfielder Kennedy has had his 2 highest averages in the even years - 120 in 2012 and 114 in 2014 compared to 110 in 2015 and 106 in 2013. Hopefully this trend continues in 2016. I'm backing him in for a big year and will be one of my starting premo mids. Predicted average: 115

Tom Mitchell, $564k :footy:

Had an excellent season after finally being given a chance in the side, posting an average of 104.5. I think he will continue to excel next season but I feel there are better options in the same price range such as Rockliff. Predicted average: 108

Jarrad McVeigh, $543k - See Defenders

Luke Parker, $538k :fire:

Had a disappointing season last year averaging just 100 points but I would expect him to bounce back in 2016. Good value at $538k. Predicted average: 108

Kieren Jack, $531k :footy:

His averaged has declined in each of the past 3 seasons, with last year the first time he failed to average a ton since an injury affected 2011 season. I think his average will continue to decrease. However he does tackle very well so even if he doesn't get much of the ball he can still get you a decent score. I guess if you want a POD you could pick them but there are better choices. Predicted average: 95

Jake Lloyd, $374k

He averaged 69 last year and should continue to improve, but not by enough to make him SC relevant.
Predicted average: 70

Harry Cunningham, $363k (FWD)

Versatile player with Mid/Fwd DPP but there is really no reason to pick him. Predicted average: 70

Daniel Robinson, $240k (FWD)

Not best 22 but I wouldn't be suprised if he plays a few games over the course of the season. Got scores of 83 and 64 when he wasn't the sub. Predicted average: 70*

Callum Mills, $211k :fire:

A star of the future, Mills has a high price tag for a rookie but can still be expected to make some cash. Whether I pick him will come down to what other cheaper mid rookies are available. Predicted average: 75

Abaina Davis, $124k

Not best 22 and I wouldn't expect him to play. Can play multiple positions. Predicted average: 45*

George Hewitt, $124k

I expect him to get a chance at some stage this season but not enough games to make it worthwhile selecting him. Predicted average: 55*

Jack Hiscox, $124k (FWD)

Not best 22. Swans academy player in his second year at the club. Predicted average: 50*

Jordan Foote, $117k

Rookie listed and another Swans academy player. Don't really know much about him to be honest. Predicted average: 50*

Sam Murray, $102k

Rookie listed. Has some good speed and can kick a goal, but I highly doubt he plays AFL this year. Predicted average: 50*

Rucks

Kurt Tippett, $484k (FWD) :hearts:

Tippett is coming off a season where he averaged 90 points, including an average of 103 in his last 14 games (inc finals). Despite the addition of Sinclair I still think Tippett will play the No. 1 ruck role. He has gained Ruck DPP this season which makes him a far better choice than last season. He will be my F6/R3 this year. Predicted average: 100

Callum Sinclair, $409k (FWD) :footy:

Sinclair appears to be a popular choice, he averaged 76 last season playing a No. 2 role and I feel that he will again be playing a No. 2 role. Personally I feel that Tippett is the better ruck and better forward making him the better choice despite costing 75k more. If you don't want to shell out the extra cash then Sinclair is still a decent option due to his Ruck/Fwd DPP.

Toby Nankervis, $226k (FWD)
Debuted last season playing 5 games and averaging 42 points. I expect 2016 to be another year of development for him and can't see any reason to pick him. Predicted average: 45*

Tom Derickx, $165k

If you are seriously considering picking this guy then you should just give up on SC. Predicted average: 40*

Sam Naismith (FWD) $124k

The 4th Swan with Ruck/Fwd DPP, The 206cm Naismith is rookie listed meaning he will be unlikely to play. Predicted average: 40*

Kyle Galloway, $102k

Rookie listed. A massive 209cm tall but won't play in 2016. Predicted average: 40*

Forwards

Kurt Tippett, $484k - See Rucks

Lance Franklin, $470k :fire:

After a disappointing 2015 season where he averaged just 87 points, Buddy will look to get back to his best in 2016. A risky selection, personally I'm not going to pick him after being let down by him in 2015. $470k is as cheap as he's been in years so if he could be a bargain if he gets back to his best.

Ben McGlynn, $426k

McGlynn has been changed from a mid to a forward and averaged 88 last year, however I would not pick him as he didn't look the same after his injury and I doubt he will get back to his best. Spot in the best 22 is not guaranteed either. Predicted average: 70

Callum Sinclair, $409k - See Rucks

Sam Reid, $390k

Reid posted some big scores towards the end of last season whilst Franklin was out, but with Franklin back and Sinclair coming to the club his scores will regress. Predicted average: 67

* = unlikely to play or not best 22, but predicted average if they do play AFL.
:footy: = Player to be lightly considered.
:hearts: = Player I will be starting with.
:fire: = Player to be strongly considered.

Isaac Heeney, $377k
Heeney had a great debut season where he averaged 70 points and has had his position changed from mid to forward. His average should increase this year due to improvement as well as more time in the midfield. If he had Mid DPP I would consider him but without it I don't think he is worth picking. Predicted average: 80

Harry Cunningham, $363k - See Mids

Gary Rohan, $317k

Rohan should benefit from the removal of the sub rule, but is too injury prone and doesn't get enough of the ball to be a viable SC player. Predicted average: 65

Dean Towers, $259k

Towers finally showed some form at the end of last season but is no certainty for the best 22 and even if selected is not SC relevant. Predicted average: 60

Brandon Jack, $258k

Will benefit from not being the sub anymore but is yet to prove he can average enough points to be a SC option. Predicted average: 55

James Rose, $155k :footy:

I don't think he is best 22 but would certainly be in that 23-28 range so an injury may lead to opportunity for Rose. Knows how to kick a goal, getting 3 in a quarter in his debut game. Predicted average: 60

Jack Hiscox, $124k - See Mids

Jordan Dawson, $117k

Taken with the #56 pick in this year's draft, Dawson is a good sized forward (190cm, 84kg) out of Sturt. Probably won't play many games if any in 2016. Predicted average: 50*

Tom Papley, $110k

Rookie listed small forward. Don't know much about him, more than likely won't play AFL next year. Predicted average: 50*

Last edited:
Here's my Team Preview for the Cats!

:fire: - Certainty for my team
:thumbsu: - Strongly Consider
:rainbow: - Lightly Consider
:thumbsdown: - Don't Consider
* - Not expecting to play but if they do that's what I expect their average to be.

DEFENDERS:

Corey Enright ($516,000) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 21
2015 Average - 95.6
2016 Average Prediction - 80-85

Mr Reliable down back for the Cats. No matter how old he gets he always seems to play well & rack up the ball enough to get 80s-100s consistently. 2016 will be his final season & I don't think he'll be rested any games so it just depends if he is going to slow down a lot. I still think he'll average 80-85 so could be a bit of a POD down back but I most likely won't be getting him.

Andrew Mackie ($475,900) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 15
2015 Average - 88.2
2016 Average Prediction - 80

Finished year pretty well after injury niggles earlier on. Will still score well I think if he has a full pre-season but at that price think there are better options.

Jimmy Bartel ($470,400 DPP MID) :thumbsu:
2015 Games - 11
2015 Average - 87.2
2016 Average Prediction - 90-95

Jimmy had a year to forget in 2015 but when he did play he still scored quite well. In his return game after around 8 weeks off he racked up 41 touches! Think with a full preseason which he is getting he will get back up to that 90+ average with Chris Scott just telling him to roam around doing Jimmy things! Being a DPP is very juicy & I am strongly considering Bartel as a Defender in my team in 2016.

Harry Taylor ($442,700) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 21
2015 Average - 82
2016 Average Prediction - 85-90

Harry too had a year to forget in 2015. With our performances not as good in 2015 there was more work for the defence to do & Harry had to do a more locking down role. Think he will improve from last year because Henderson will play in the defence for us which will hopefully free Taylor up to roam some more around defensive 50 racking up intercept marks & kicks.

Jackson Thurlow ($379,100) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 19
2015 Average - 70.3
2016 Average Prediction - 75-80

Really rate Thurlow highly. Brilliant user of the ball racking up points but then also a big leap to help him take marks in defence & he also moves up the ground well getting Inside 50's. Think of him as a mix of Mackie's attacking & Enright's defending so will be a star for us. BUT in terms of SC in 2016, I won't be picking him. Thurlow scored higher in 2015 when Mackie WASN'T in the team. I'm expecting Thurlow to average 75-80 in 2016 but picking 2017 to be his breakout year after Enright retires.

Tom Lonergan ($363,800) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 19
2015 Average - 67.4
2016 Average Prediction - 60-65

Key defender in his final year. Never been a consistently high point scorer. Don't think about it.

Jake Kolodjashnij ($362,700) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 9
2015 Average - 67.2
2016 Average Prediction - 65-70

Racks up the points more than I thought he would. But still mostly a lockdown key defender so don't consider.

Jed Bews ($245,900) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 16
2015 Average - 45.6
2016 Average Prediction - 45-55

I don't think Bews is in our best 22 for Round 1 as a small defender. May find his way in but even then he is a lockdown defender. Don't consider.

Billie Smedts ($190,200) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 4
2015 Average - 35.2
2016 Average Prediction - 45-60

An interesting one. We at the Cats can see the talent Billie has as he is a class above VFL, but hasn't brought it to AFL. Still rated highly at the club so if he is chosen in the team & starts to show his talent if we play him in his correct position (Forward) then perhaps jump on at that price, otherwise look away.

Josh Cowan ($155,400) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 2
2015 Average - 36
2016 Average Prediction - 45-50

We've kept him for so long with all his injuries so we clearly rate him & he played pretty well (think 40-50 points) when he returned in the last round against Adelaide playing a small/med defender at the moment I'm not sure who he'd be in for but also wouldn't be surprised if he plays Round 1 considering how highly we rate him. Consider if named Round 1!

Cameron Delaney ($117,300) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 35-45*

Rookie list & also key defender so won't play much at all. Nope.

Ryan Gardner ($117,300) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 20-30*

He is my man from our newest crop of draftees! But also a young, skinny key defender. Got great pace but won't play more than 2-3 games this year if he even gets a game.

Tom Ruggles ($102,400) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 35-40

Mature age recruit from our VFL team taken as a rookie. But a good attacking small defender so if Bews is in bad form & we need a small defender with the cards falling Ruggles' way then we can promote him & I think he may surprise with some good games. Keep a look out throughout 2016 & if he is promoted & named then pick him up if you need a DEF rookie who can hopefully be a cash cow!

MIDFIELDERS:

Patrick Dangerfield ($647,000) :thumbsu:
2015 Games - 21
2015 Average - 119.9
2016 Average Prediction - 100-105

We actually got him...Paddy f*cking Dangerfield! In the top 5 players in the comp! Will help us so much win more midfield battles but also creates a domino effect freeing up guys like J. Selwood, Duncan & Motlop more! Has shown he can handle the tag so will be a great POD pickup, may take some time to gel with Cats teammates on the field but will still score well, it's just the price that is the reason I'm not starting with him in 2016, will look to upgrade to him after Cats bye!

Joel Selwood ($565,500) :fire:
2015 Games - 20
2015 Average - 104.8
2016 Average Prediction - 105-110

As mentioned above, Dangerfield coming will help our captain a lot! Mostly because Joel can't handle a tag as well as Danger can, and Joel has shown he can score 105+ consistently when he isn't being tagged. Can go forward & kick some goals too & we'll see guys like Fyfe, Danger, GAJ, J. Selwood get more goals resting in the forward line because of less rotations. Joel will be my M4 at this stage! Get on him!

Mark Blicavs (See Rucks)

Cameron Guthrie ($524,500) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 21
2015 Average - 97.1
2016 Average Prediction - 95-100

Guth averaged around 110 in the last 5-6 rounds of 2015 so has shown he is on his way to being an A-grader. But that was without Caddy & Duncan mostly in team, also now with those guys fit & Danger joining Guthrie has mentioned he will be playing some more defence along with rotating through midfield. I do love Guth & if he was a DPP in defence too I'd pick him but at that price there are better options in MID.

Josh Caddy ($505,800) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 19
2015 Average - 93.7

Caddy also had a high scoring patch like Guthrie did, but that was when Selwood & Duncan were out at times. With Danger coming in it makes Caddy our 4th/5th best midfielder so will be interesting to see where he plays in the midfield rotations & how he scores. At that price, only consider if you want to take a big risk on a POD.

Mitch Duncan ($493,000) :thumbsu:
2015 Games - 11
2015 Average - 91.4
2016 Average Prediction - 95-105

Duncan had 2 games in 2015 where he looked like he was breaking out into an elite midfielder with 2 130+ scores & 6 Brownlow votes before being on track to do the same in the next game before injuring himself against the Swans during that game sadly. Has been very durable before that. Returned 6+ weeks later & got a 90+ against the Dogs before hurting a calf. With Duncan back to full fitness & being our 3rd best midfielder I can see him cracking the 100 average & becoming elite. Won't be a starter in my team though just won't be able to afford him with other premos ahead of him but will be a great POD pickup so get him & you won't be disappointed!

Steven Motlop (See Forwards)
Jimmy Bartel (See Defenders)

Jordan Murdoch ($366,300) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 18
2015 Average - 67.9
2016 Average Prediction - 65-70

Too inconsistent & may not be in our best 22 anymore. Pass.

Scott Selwood ($310,300) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 12
2015 Average - 57.5
2016 Average Prediction - 70-80

If he can get fit then consider! Will play a run-with role but also racks up the points with tackles & a contested game. Would be a good POD.

George Horlin-Smith ($291,400) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 7
2015 Average - 54

May not be in best 22. If he does play will only average around 60 anyway. Pass.

Jordan Cunico ($123,900) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 35-45*

Could be a good running defender/wing for us in the future but still won't play much seniors in 2016. Pass.

Zac Bates (See Forwards)

Sam Menegola ($117,300) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 40-45

Probably along with Horlin-Smith as a midfield depth so if there happens to be an injury or something & he is named then consider at that price!

James Parsons ($102,400) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 20-30*

Probably won't play a senior game in 2016. Pass.

RUCKS:

Mark Blicavs ($562,700 DPP MID) :fire:
2015 Games - 21
2015 Average - 104.3
2016 Average Prediction - 105-110

Blitz has developed incredibly since debut in 2013. Will play purely as a midfielder with our extra rucks. Only needs 20-25 touches & he'll get 100+ because of his tackles & third man ups! His amazing fitness will help too with less rotations. He is a lock as my R2. Get on him!

Zac Smith ($425,300) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 11
2015 Average - 78.8
2016 Average Prediction - 80-85

Will be our number 1 ruck with a ruck pairing with Stanley. Think he'll average around 80 but too inconsistent & too expensive.

Rhys Stanley ($392,600 DPP FWD) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 8
2015 Average - 72.8
2016 Average Prediction - 70-75

His game against Port showed what he could become but he doesn't score high consistently enough. Coming back from injury too. Light consideration.

Nathan Vardy ($293,400 DPP FWD) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 3
2015 Average - 77.7
2016 Average Prediction - 70-80

Scored pretty well when he came back from injury. Will be mostly CHF in 2016 only doing partial rucking. Consider because of price & DPP.

Pardraig Lucey ($117,300) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 15-25

Hahaha no.

Tom Read ($117,300) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 15-25

Natural ruck in long term development but behind too many people. Still got a while to go. Pass.

FORWARDS:

Steven Motlop ($475,400 DPP MID) :thumbsu:
2015 Games - 20
2015 Average - 88.1

Think Motlop will have a good balance between midfield & forward in 2016 racking up ball & kicking goals too. At the moment not an absolute certainty in my team but DPP & at that price I am strongly considering!

Tom Hawkins ($430,000) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 19
2015 Average - 79.7
2016 Average Prediction - 75-80

KPF. Will score high a few games & low a few games. Don't consider.

Rhys Stanley (See Rucks)

Lachie Henderson ($363,200) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 16
2015 Average - 67.3

Will play in defence most likely. Not SC relevant.

Mitch Clark ($346,000) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 8
2015 Average - 64.1
2016 Average Prediction - 60-70

2015 was a lock because of price but 2016 at that price an injury prone KPF. Nope.

Darcy Lang ($323,800) :rainbow:
2015 Games - 20
2015 Average - 60
2016 Average Prediction - 65-75

Lang looks like he'll be a great player for us. Will continue as mostly a forward for now though with a bit of midfield time. Gets lots of tackles which is good but at that price don't consider too much.

Cory Gregson ($293,500) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 20
2015 Average - 54.4

Gregson playing 20 games as an 18 year old in his debut year was remarkable. We clearly rate him so he should still be in the side as our small forward. But at that price & not certain job security pass.

Nathan Vardy (See Rucks)

Daniel Menzel ($260,600) :thumbsu:
2015 Games - 2
2015 Average - 69

Menzel's return brought every AFL fan happiness after what he's been through. Sadly he played so well his price is much higher in 2016. He's having his first full preseason now though so at $260K I'd be willing to take the gamble on him!

Shane Kersten ($255,600) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 11
2015 Average - 47.4
2016 Average Prediction - 50*

Doesn't score high & isn't in best 22 anyway. Pass.

Nakia Cockatoo ($172,700) :fire:
2015 Games - 11
2015 Average - 32
2016 Average Prediction - 60-70

We knew how talented Cockatoo was so to fast track his development we played him more than he probably deserved but will hopefully reap those benefits in 2016 & beyond! With sub vest gone now that helps a lot! Also last couple rounds he played full games & showed he had improved by getting 55-65. With another full preseason, training with Dangerfield, more midfield time I see him averaging around 70 or more! Lock for me as F6.

Lincoln McCarthy ($139,400) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 40-50*

Still recovering from a foot injury & doesn't score too highly when fit & not best 22 anyway. Pass.

Michael Luxford ($123,900) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 2
2015 Average - 12.5
2016 Average Prediction - 30-35*

Upgraded to senior list & showing good development but won't play enough games for mine. Pass.

Jack Cornell ($117,400) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 20-25*

Developing in VFL in 2016. Pass.

Zac Bates ($117,300 DPP MID) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0
2016 Average Prediction - 30*

Showed good signs in VFL but still has to be promoted. Won't score too highly anyway. Pass.

Wylie Buzza ($117,300) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0

New cult hero but in a pretty long queue of forwards. KPF. Pass.

Matthew Hayball ($117,300) :thumbsdown:
2015 Games - 0
2015 Average - 0

Will spend 2016 developing in VFL. Pass.

Last edited:
Thanks Unique Name for the prices.

Defenders

Jarrad McVeigh, $542k (MID) :footy:

Has regained Def/Mid DPP after a 2015 season in which he averaged just over 100 points whilst splitting time between defence and midfield. I'd expect him to average around the 100 mark again in the 2016 season however he may struggle a bit after post season knee surgery. I would expect him to spend a lot of time in a HBF role, but also rotating through the midfield. He'll be 31 years old early next season which is worth keeping in mind as it would be normal to expect some sort of decline. Personally I will not be starting with him as a) I think he will drop in price and b) Uncertain what role he is going to play, but he is certainly a good target for a mid-season upgrade. Predicted average: 98

Dane Rampe, $458k :footy:

Coming off a year where he averaged a career best 85, a 9 point increase on 2014, Rampe can be expected to continue to improve in 2016. He will have more opportunities to play in the midfield, whilst if Talia is selected it will free up Rampe from having to play a key defensive role. He could be a good pick if you are looking for a left-field choice. Predicted average: 90

Heath Grundy, $422k

Played some great football last season and should continue this in 2016, however he is not a SC relevant player. Predicted average: 75

Nick Smith, $390k

He's averaged from 66-72 in the last 5 years and will likely continue to do so in 2016. Great player but like most lockdown players, not SC relevant. Predicted average: 70

Michael Talia, $390k

In 14 games last year he averaged 73 and I can't see him improving on this too much in his first season with the Swans. He may not make the best 22 but personally I consider him best 22. Not SC relevant. Predicted average: 70

Jeremy Laidler, $374k

Has managed to establish himself as a certainty in the best 22 and is a hard-working player but like many defenders is not SC relevant. Predicted average: 65

Ted Richards, $329k

Last season there was a notable decline from Richards, struggling to contain some of the bigger forwards and posting his worst SC average since 2006. He wasn't SC relevant at his peak and he certainly isn't now. Predicted average: 55

Zak Jones, 257k

His price is lower than it should be due to numerous games as the sub, in full games he averaged 59 points last year. I think he will improve on that 59 this year, but he is awkwardly priced for mine, too expensive for a cash cow but highly unlikely to develop into a keeper. Predicted average: 65

Xavier Richards, $250k

Just like his brother Ted he plays a role and style that are unfriendly to SC. Adding to this, I can't see him playing unless there are injuries. Predicted average: 45*

Aliir Aliir, $124k

Like X.Richards I doubt he plays unless there are injuries, promising young KPD but even if he gets a string of games in the AFL he won't make enough $$$ to be worthwhile. Predicted average: 45*

Alex Johnson, $124k

Injured :(

Tyrone Leonardis, $117k
Small/medium defender who is not afraid to take the game on, likely to spend 2016 developing in the NEAFL. Predicted average: 55*

Harry Marsh, $117k

Redrafted as a rookie after being delisted from the senior list. Can't see him playing in 2016. Predicted average: 50*

Lewis Melican, $117k

Another rookie listed player, the 194cm Melican is unlikely to see AFL action in 2016. Predicted average: 45*

Nic Newman, $117k

Rookie listed. Similar type of player to Leonardis, if he does manage to get promoted to the senior list and into the team then he should see some decent price rises. Predicted average: 60*

Colin O'Riordan, $102k

The Irishman will be highly unlikely to play AFL in 2016. He is a good size (188cm, 86kg) and can kick the ball well so he may emerge as an option in 2017. Predicted average: 50*

* = unlikely to play, but predicted average if they do play AFL.
:footy: = Player to be considered.
:hearts: = Player I will be starting with.

I'll do Forwards, Midfielders and Rucks later tonight.

McVeigh the standout, but I do like Rampe's chances of pushing into the midfield.

I think one of Newman, The Spartan Leonardis and Allo Allo (Aliir) will see some NAB time as we badly need some run out defence.

Zak Jones to me actually looks good value , he will get better JS than last year and won't get subbed all the time. When he does play he actually scores well .

Don't discount the Irish lad ORiordan, he is big ,strong, fast , mature age and already uses the ball very well by all reports. Most Irish recruits are known for being skilful outside runners but this bloke looks like he loves the physical stuff and is very strong overhead.

Thought I'd have a crack at Collingwood because no one had done one. I know I don't post on this board much, but I did finish top 1000 last year so I feel like I have some idea of what I'm talking about. Take what you will out of it, enjoy and remember it's purely a personal opinion. I've tried to throw in a few smokey's for those of you unfamiliar with our list :):thumbsu:

:thumbsu: - Consider
:thumbsu::rainbow:- Consider and Rising Star
:thumbsu::fire:- Consider and Genuine Gun
:thumbsdown: - Pass

DEFENDERS

Marley Williams ($462,400)
2015 Games- 20
2015 Average- 85.7

I'm backing him for a breakout year. Was given a reprieve by getting a suspended sentence in his assault case in 2014 and has continuously improved since. 5th year in the system, 22 years of age, ready to consolidate himself I think. Hopefully capable of pushing that 90-95 average. Rory Laird like almost. CONSIDER :thumbsu::rainbow:

Tom Langdon ($461,100)
2015 Games- 22
2015 Average- 85.5

One word, durable. Has played 41 out of a possible 44 games since debuting at the start of 2014. Coming into his 3rd season, he may very well improve on his 85.5 average from 2015 and become a very unique pick. CONSIDER :thumbsu::rainbow:

Travis Varcoe ($412,800)
2015 Games- 22
2015 Average- 76.5

Value to the team doesn't always translate straight over to SuperCoach. I think he had an outstanding 2015, but doesn't have what is required to be a valuable SuperCoach asset. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jeremy Howe ($403,500)
2015 Games- 22
2015 Average- 74.8

Really not sure what to expect from Jeremy. Would have to hit that next level for me to consider, based on what he currently offers, I'd probably let him go through to the keeper (ironically his cousin is Matthew Wade). PASS :thumbsdown:

Tyson Goldsack ($369,800)
2015 Games- 13
2015 Average- 68.5

Being a good bloke doesn't cut it in the AFL (unless your Luke Hodge). Super nice guy, but horrible SuperCoach pick. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jackson Ramsay ($319,400)
2015 Games- 5
2015 Average- 74

To be honest, I don't know heaps about him. 74 average from 5 games prior to his injury. Probably a bit pricey for a guy with such little experience. PASS :thumbsdown:

Brayden Maynard ($306,400)
2015 Games- 9
2015 Average- 56.8

One of my favourites, but similar to Ramsay, too pricey for a guy who will play his 10th career game in his first match of 2016. I'd like to think he can become best 22, but too risky. PASS :thumbsdown:

Ben Reid ($303,900)
2015 Games- 5
2015 Average- 70.4

If fit, I'd like to think he could be a unique pick. He may end up down back again which would hinder his scoring output, but as a forward he may be capable of at least an 80 average if he can stay on the park. At his price, I'd consider only if he plays forward. Buyer beware. CONSIDER :thumbsu:

Ben Sinclair ($302,200)
2015 Games- 6
2015 Average- 56

Appears to be a favourite of Nathan Buckley, I myself don't see the fuss. Will likely get games, but has been hassled by injuries in the past, so just seems too unreliable for my liking. PASS :thumbsdown:

Alan Toovey ($301,100)
2015 Games- 20
2015 Average- 55.8

Not a fan in general. Plenty of better options, his 2015 average of 55.8 from 20 games says it all really. PASS :thumbsdown:

Nathan Brown ($289,600)
2015 Games- 21
2015 Average- 53.7

It's been said once, it'll be said again after this, key defenders are not made for SuperCoach. PASS :thumbsdown:

James Aish ($275,700)
2015 Games- 11
2015 Average- 51.1

All SuperCoach players love guys who have found a new home in the off-season. James Aish fits that bill and at his price, he must be considered. Watch NAB cup form and whether or not he starts in round 1. We didn't bring him over to be playing in the VFL though, so I expect he will be there come round 1. CONSIDER :thumbsu::rainbow:

Matthew Scharenberg ($271,200)
2015 Games- 4
2015 Average- 50.2

Unfortunately struck down with another lengthy injury, I'd love to see him have an unhindered crack at it, but unfortunately 2016 will not be that season. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jack Frost ($259,000)
2015 Games- 20
2015 Average- 48

See Nathan Brown and every other key defender in the history of SuperCoach. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jonathon Marsh ($236,300)
2015 Games- 5
2015 Average- 43.8

In terms of position, he's a funny one. Has the ability to play tall, but also possesses the necessary tools to be a rebounding half back. At his price, and the fact that there will be times if and when he plays, it'll be a lockdown defending role I'll have to give him a miss. PASS :thumbsdown:

Lachlan Keeffe ($166,200)
2015 Games- 0
2015 Average- 0

I don't think I really need to waste my time here. PASS :thumbsdown:

Tim Golds ($102,400)
2015 Games- 0
2015 Average- 0
Rookie listed. Won't see him early days, things would need to happen for him to get a game. I'd personally look at him as a downgrade target later on in the season if he manages to get a few consecutive games, but to open the season, no thanks. PASS :thumbsdown:

MIDFIELDERS

Scott Pendlebury ($627,200)
2015 Games- 22
2015 Average- 116.2

Not much needs to be said here, he sells himself. LOCK :thumbsu::fire:

Adam Treloar ($576,400)
2015 Games- 21
2015 Average- 106.8

Another genuine gun. 2015 average of 106, still has plenty of scope for improvement. STRONGLY CONSIDER :thumbsu::fire:

Dane Swan ($571,200)
2015 Games- 21
2015 Average- 105.9

Oh Swanny, I'm going to be so depressed when you give the game away. I just love the way you.. Oh right, SuperCoach! With no DPP status this year, I don't think he'll feature in many if any of the top sides. He's still very very capable, and rather than being the guy who's in everyone's side, he all of a sudden becomes a nice point of difference. CONSIDER :thumbsu::fire:

Steele Sidebottom ($562,200)
2015 Games- 16
2015 Average- 104.2

Another potential point of difference. With the addition of Treloar and the emergence of Crisp, Adams and De Goey, Steele's output could potentially increase. I expect to see him in a high half forward/wing role, but with more time forward than in 2015. Knows where the goals are, knows how to find the ball and can run all day. STRONGLY CONSIDER :thumbsu::fire:

Taylor Adams ($528,500)
2015 Games- 18
2015 Average- 97.9

Another guy who improves every week. I personally wouldn't pick him, but is probably another candidate for POD. He's a contested beast and he loves a tackle. Can be a bit undisciplined at times (just ask Justin Westhoff). CONSIDER :thumbsu::rainbow:

Jack Crisp ($482,200)
2015 Games- 22
2015 Average- 89.4

Played all 22 games in 2015 which is a good sign. If you're going to pick him, I'd want his average to rise above his 2015 average of 90. 2015 in many ways was a breakout year, but 2016 could see Jack Crisp take his game to the next level and consolidate himself. CONSIDER :thumbsu::rainbow:

Levi Greenwood ($429,000)
2015 Games- 8
2015 Average- 79.5

Not a bad price. It's a big ask, but would have to get back to the form he showed in 2014 at North before I'd consider. He's a bit of Taylor Adams without the accumulation of possession, so on that note, I'd pass. Sorry Levi. PASS :thumbsdown:

Adam Oxley ($412,600)
2015 Games- 17
2015 Average- 76.5

Excellent cash cow last year, but plenty of better mid-priced options this year. PASS :thumbsdown:

Tim Broomhead ($329,200)
2015 Games- 11
2015 Average- 61

I've seen plenty of discussion on our board about Tim. Some believe 2016 is the blossoming of Broomy, but my judgement is a bit more reserved. There hasn't been anything to suggest he'll hit the ground running in 2016. Obviously watch his NAB cup form, but I'd probably give him a miss. Besides, he's right around B.Crouch, O'Meara and Liberatore's price tag. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jordan De Goey ($318,400)
2015 Games- 16
2015 Average- 59

I think he had an outstanding debut season and I'm tempted to select him as a forward. I'll be watching very closely, because he definitely has all the right weapons to be a seriously good player. Beware of the second year blues though. CONSIDER :thumbsu::rainbow:

James Aish ($275,700)
SEE DEFENDERS.

Josh Thomas ($193,700)
2015 Games- 0
2015 Average- 0

Pick him, set and forget as captain. No seriously, if you pick him, you're a fool. Even more foolish than him for getting caught snorting coke laced with performance enhancing substances. PASS :thumbsdown:

Brent Macaffer ($174,200)
2015 Games- 0
2015 Average- 0

Brent Macaffer the tagger, no. Brent Macaffer reinvented as a forward like during the premiership year, maybe. He's not a forward in SuperCoach, but he may spend more time playing forward next season. Worth watching NAB cup form and to see if he's named in round 1. May make some cash early days. CONSIDER :thumbsu:

Matthew Goodyear ($123,900)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
Don't know much about Goody or his year in the VFL. There were rumours swirling about a potential debut at the end of 2015. Watch NAB cup.
CONSIDER :thumbsu:

Tom Phillips ($117,300)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
My guess is a good an anyone's when it comes to the new recruits, he's my tip for first debutant if that's worth anything. Excellent running ability, won the time trial. Not quite sure what to expect. PASS :thumbsdown:

Brayden Sier ($117,300)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
I like many other Collingwood supporters exclaimed "who the * is Brayden Sier?" when his name was called on draft night. We still don't really know who he is or what to expect. Hard to gauge where he's at. PASS :thumbsdown:

Ben Crocker ($117,300)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
A bit similar to Sier, haven't been exposed to much from him. Hard to gauge. Just watch NAB cup form and potential round 1 selection. PASS :thumbsdown:

Rupert Wills ($117,300)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
Was already playing in our VFL side, now on the senior list the club obviously see something in him. However at this point in time, not an option for me. PASS :thumbsdown:

Josh Smith ($102,400)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
Would imagine 2016 might be a development year. However the fact he's one of those "ready made" footballers, a "mature age recruit" if you will might play into his hands and we might see him. Watch closely. CONSIDER :thumbsu:

RUCKS

Brodie Grundy ($488,800)
2015 Games- 19
2015 Average- 90.6

Has the number one ruck spot at this point in time, so whether or not he'll play isn't much of an issue. Came along nicely in 2015, especially in the first half of the season. Seems too pricey for me, but if he takes that next step and increases his output by 5-10 points over the course of the season bringing his average up around the 100 mark he could be a nice buy. CONSIDER :thumbsu::rainbow:

Jarrod Witts ($393,400)
2015 Games- 11

2015 Average- 72.9
No thanks Wittsy. Unless he has a breakout season that I'm not anticipating, he will be coming nowhere near my side. PASS :thumbsdown:

Mason Cox ($117,300)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
Depends what your tactic is. If you want a DPP ruck for captaincy loophole purposes, then you may want to give Mason Cox a miss because I'm tipping a debut in 2016. You'll be able to use him a loophole early on, but I don't think he'll be useful for that purpose later on in the season, especially if he's in better form than Wittsy and Grundy needs a rest. CONSIDER :thumbsu:

Darrean Wyatt ($102,400)
2015 Games- 0

2015 Average- 0
Won't debut, will be a loophole option all year. Also has DPP status. CONSIDER :thumbsu:

FORWARDS

Jamie Elliott ($413,300)
2015 Games- 20
2015 Average- 76.6

Breakout year candidate. Won't be starting the season with him though. Still too inconsistent. PASS :thumbsdown:

Travis Varcoe ($412,800)
SEE DEFENDERS

Alex Fasolo ($407,900)
2015 Games- 17

2015 Average- 75.6
If you don't like Pepsi, swap it. Fasolo has been around long enough now, and I'm still not sold that he's going to make it. Has the right tools to be a handy player, but I won't be letting him taint my SC side. I don't love him as much as he loves himself. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jarryd Blair ($404,400)
2015 Games- 20

2015 Average- 75
I think he'll be up against it in 2016. Spots in the side will be tight and I expect as a Collingwood supporter that he would have to offer something more than he currently offers to hold his spot. He's not our worst performer, but he's too much of a one trick pony for me and he's definitely not SuperCoach material. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jeremy Howe ($403,500)
SEE DEFENDERS

Jarrod Witts ($393,400)
SEE RUCKS

Travis Cloke ($373,900)
2015 Games- 17

2015 Average- 69.3
If he'd absolutely bottomed out and was around the 300k mark, I'd say consider. At that price, he's a bit in no mans land. I hope his output will increase as a result of a better functioning forward structure in 2016, but that's no certainty, and neither is Trav getting a kick every week. PASS :thumbsdown:

Jesse White ($367,500)
2015 Games- 18

2015 Average- 68.1
This guy causes a great divide amongst the Collingwood board. Lots of hatred and lots of people who think he's worth persisting with. However I'm sure there's no divide on the SuperCoach board when it comes to picking or not picking Jesse White. PASS :thumbsdown:

Tim Broomhead ($329,200)
SEE MIDS

Jordan De Goey ($318,400)
SEE MIDS

Ben Reid ($303,900)
SEE DEFENDERS

Darcy Moore ($290,800)
2015 Games- 9

2015 Average- 53.9
Mid-priced key forwards are never ideal. Mid-priced key forwards who have only played 9 games are even less ideal. Will hopefully be a gun in the future, but not SC relevant now. PASS :thumbsdown:

Corey Gault ($215,800)
2015 Games- 3

2015 Average- 50
Still surprised he's on the list to be honest. If for whatever farfetched reason you really were tossing up between Moore and Gault, let's just say I wouldn't be taking Gault. PASS :thumbsdown:

Josh Thomas ($193,700)
SEE MIDS

Mason Cox ($117,300)
SEE RUCKS

Ben Crocker ($117,300)
SEE MIDS

Tom Phillips ($117,300)
SEE MIDS

Darrean Wyatt ($102,400)
SEE RUCKS

:thumbsu::rainbow::thumbsu::fire::thumbsu::thumbsdown::thumbsu:

Last edited:
West Coast Eagles Supercoach Season Review.
I follow our board and squad all year but I'm not obsessed, just a fan. Hopefully this helps someone, somehow.

:thumbsu: = not GAJ (would pick)
:thumbsdown: = not GAJ's jockstrap (yuk)
:thumbsu::thumbsdown: = Questionable selection, goodluck.

DEFENDERS

Yeo, Elliot $443,300 (DEF/MID) :thumbsu:
2015 - 21 games at 82.1 - 2014 - 13 games at 65.8

Yeo was a stop gap mr fix it player in what should've been a development year for him in the midfield.
He played half back and sometimes even had a defending job on someone most of the year while rotating through the midfield most games.
His best scores were 146,129,119,118,111 in games where he wasn't needed down back.
He was averaging 89.5 in round 18 before a run of games against quality oppostion going into the finals.
His scores for R19-23 were 54,62,45,40 then a 92 against St Kilda to finish up.
With MacKenzie and Brown back he should be freed up to play in the midfield. Add his DPP and he's a juicy midpricer and the pic of the West Coast defenders this year. CONSIDER.

McGovern, Jeremy $429,500 :thumbsu:
2015 - 17 @ 79.6 - 2014 - 13 @ 82.5

The Gov is a gun. Another swingman type that Adam Simpson loves. He has a great kick and DE%.
Takes contested marks for breakfast and can go forward for a few sausage rolls.
Will he play down back all year. Probally not. We have 3 talls ahead of him. Will he play forward and go back to help out most weeks. Most likely yes.
Will he increase his average enough to justify starting him? Big Maybe.
But he is having an excellent preseason and will start the year a different bloke compared to past years.
Watch and CONSIDER.

Wellingham, Sharrod $410,400 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 21 @ 76.0 - 2014 - 13 @ 69.8

Wellers had his best year yet for us this year in 2015. A new defined roll of 3rd man up and sweeper in the back half has rejuvenated his career. He's not the most SC relevant player but I see him keeping his average at 75-80 and having a solid year. Consider for a D4-6 possie but consider he is inconsistent. CONSIDER.

Hurn, Shannon
$408,600 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 22 @ 75.7 - 2014 - 18 @ 86.9

Hurn has always been that guy you expect to become a backline SC stud. Old school type with a good handball, great long kick and a decent user with good DE%.
Problem is he doesn't get enough of it and although he will be freed up more this year with EMac and Brown back I can't see a major jump in output. Expect a 75-85 average and to play every game minus injury. WATCH.

Sheppard, Brad
$406,200 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 22 @ 75.3 - 2014 - 14 @ 66.9

Shep was another who had a breakout year. Playing along side Wellingham across the back half he was a very usefull small big defender who gave his all. Great for West Coast, not so great for SC.
Will play the same position and average the same next year. CONSIDER.

Butler, Sam $392,400 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 14 @ 72.7 - 2014 - 12 @ 62.3

Butler has never been SC relevant and never will. PASS.

Schofield, Will $343,900 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 18 @ 63.7 - 2014 - 17 @ 60.4

Will had a great year and was forced to play as our main lock down key back for the whole year and did a bloody good job. He will be freed up a little to go for those gallops of his but don't expect any big scores. PASS.

Ellis, Xavier $324,700 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 12 @60.2 - 2014 - 17 @ 67.4

Ellis wont ever play midfield again and is made of Christmas cake. PASS.

Mackenzie, Eric $243,400 30% :thumbsdown:
2015 - ZERO GAMES - 2014 -
22 @ 75.1

Priced at an average of 46 with his 30% discount taken into account Emac becomes slightly SC relevant.
Will average around 60-70 but priced awkwardly and that's a PASS for me.

Barrass, Tom $238,000 30% :thumbsdown:
2015 -
3 @ 63.0

Wont feature regularly. PASS.

Bennell, Jamie@ $228,400 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 9 @ 42.3 - 2014 - 19 @ 59.1

Wont feature regularly. PASS.

Nelson, Jackson $210,400 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 11 @ 39.0
Played a few games this year and will play handful next year. Great kid but not for SC. PASS.

Brown, Mitch $133,900 :thumbsu:
2015 - 1 @5.0 - 2014 - 19 @ 43.5
Brown did his knee in our first game this year. With a 2015 average of 5 he has dropped in price.
Will fight for his position with Schofield and McGovern. Key to picking him is if he lines up round 1 with McGovern listed as playing forward.
He plays well on the medium sized forwards and will be favoured over McGovern, Sheppard, Hurn and Wellingham for certain gigs. Wont push McKenzie or McGovern out of the team.
May play 20 games, may only play 5 or 6. Watch for NAB cup form and then round 1 selection.
If selected he should play the first few games and make you some cash but don't expect an average above 50. Pick for your backline bench and not for cash generation. WATCH.

Adamson, Corey $117,300 (DEF/MID) :thumbsdown:
Rookie who wont play. Can be used for loophole with the added bonus of DPP. PASS.

Brophy, Paddy $117,300 :thumbsdown:
Rookie who wont play. PASS.

Cole, Tom $117,300 (DEF/MID) :thumbsdown:
Rookie who might play. Can be used for loophole with the added bonus of DPP. PASS.

MIDFIELDERS

Priddis, Matt $611,200 :thumbsu:
2015 - 22 @ 113.3 - 2014 - 22 @ 112.8
SC stud for years now. Durable. 110 all day and can go big here and there.
Lowest score of 78. 16 tonnes. A 196 in round 7 :eek:
Redden may take some points from him but I don't see it happening.
LOCK LOCKITY LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

Gaff, Andrew $560,000 :thumbsu:
2015 - 22 @ 103.8 - 2014 - 22 @ 87.9
Gaff is a machine. 13 tonnes. 6 games in the 90's. He has now become untaggable and averages 30 possies week in week out. Healthy increase in average this season, expect a slight increase to 110.
Guy is a running machine and will thrive with the new 90 rotation rule coming in. LOCK :rainbow:

Shuey, Luke $523,400 :thumbsu::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:
2015 - 22 @ 97.0 - 2014 - 20 @ 100.1
Shuey has never been a premo SC player and may never be. He tonned up 10 times last year along with a 98 and two 99's. If he is to average 110+ it would be this year. Has taken his game to a new level late in 2015. Redden will help Shuey get on the outside a bit more and if anyone else takes the tag from him, look out.
Expect a solid 20+ games at a average of 100, maybe 110. CONSIDER.

Redden, Jack $515,200 :thumbsu:
2015 - 17 @ 95.5 - 2014 - 14 @ 103.1
Redden is reported as having a hernia opp and may miss a chuck of preseason and maybe even NAB and the first few games. If he gets back on the track and plays NAB consider him. He should meet his 95 average and may go up again depending on role etc. A bit risky but may thrive in a new environment. WATCH.

Masten, Chris $479,20020 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 20 @ 88.8 - 2014 - 21 @ 84.5
Masten is a hard running endurance machine. s**t user of the footy and is prone to brainfades.
Might improve his average with the new 90 rotation rule but don't hold you're breath. WATCH.

Jetta, Lewis $448,400 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 22 @83.1 - 2014 - 22 @75.2
Jetta is hard to read. New team, different gameplan, different role from Sydney. Will he play wing or forward flank? Can he go back to his 2012 best?
Watch him closely during NAB Cup and if you think he's got the goods take a punt. WATCH.

Yeo, Elliot $443,300 (D/M)
See Defenders.

Sheed, Dom $386,600 (MID/FWD) :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 20 @ 71.7 - 2014 - 10 @ 39.9
Sheed had a breakout year. 3 sub effected games (one a 4 :eek:) killed his average.
Kid will only get better and is best 22 so will play 90% of the games.
Building a bigger tank will help him for next year. Having a few more guns like Redden and Jetta around him should help also. Mid priced, risky, awkward etc. Watch his NAB cup and go from there. WATCH.

Hutchings, Mark $385,800 (MID/FWD) :thumbsdown:
2015 - 10 @ 71.5 - 2014 - 16 @ 73.3
Hutch is on the improve but he has too be to get a gig in the Eagles midfield. Will play a few games but not all. Average wont increase either. PASS.

Duggan, Liam $229,800 (MID/FWD) :thumbsu:
2015 - 12 @ 42.6
Jet. This guy will one day be SC royalty. Knows how to get it and is a beautiful user of the footy.
Suffered a PCL mid last year. Bulked up and has been back and running all preseason.
Rookie price and DPP. Should play most games as he brings something to the side and Simmo loves him. Strongly CONSIDER.

Lucas, Kane $138,600 :thumbsdown:
2015 - ZERO - 2014 - 7 @ 47.6
Sorry Sugar. Will struggle to get a game. PASS.

Cavka, Damien $123,900 (MID/FWD) :thumbsdown:
This kid can play but has been suffering foot fractures. PASS.

Colledge, Brant $123,900 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 1 @ 17.0 - 2014 - 2 @ 44.5
Wont get any games and is rookie listed. PASS.

Karpany, Malcolm $123,900 (MID/FWD) :thumbsdown:
Will struggle to get a game. Possible loophole DPP.PASS.

Adamson, Corey $117,300 (MID/DEF)
See Defenders

Cole, Tom $117,300 (MID/DEF)
See Defenders

Mutimer, Kurt $117,300 :thumbsdown:
Will struggle to get a game. PASS.

Partington, Luke $117,300 :thumbsdown:

Waterman, Alec $117,300 :thumbsdown:
Will struggle to get a game and is recovering from illness. PASS.

Snadden, Jordan $105,400 :thumbsdown:

RUCKS

Naitanui, Nic $560,700 :thumbsu:
2015 - 20 @ 103.9 - 2014 - 20 @ 90.8
Nic has just come off his best ever season after having a fairly faultless preseason months before.
Good news is he is having another top preseason and will be looking to build on his 2015 average.
He doesn't need to get a lot of it to score well. A 1%er king, with another proper preseason he will go up another level. A 13 point increase in average in 2015 he will match his 103 and should go up to 110+
11 tonnes and nothing under 73. You can lock him in at R1 or R2 with Goldy. LOCK:rainbow:

Lycett, Scott $348,900 (RUC/FWD) :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 6 @ 71.8 - 2014 - 12 @ 77.8
Lycett burned me and many others last year. Had a great NAB cup and end of 2014.
Come 2015 he played the first 4 games but went missing.
Sinclair took his spot and besides two games late in the year when Nic was missing where he did really well (123 against Hawthorn) he sucked.
Guy is massive and a decent tap ruckmen but suffers around the ground.
I expect him to play almost every game unless Giles kills it and forces Lycett out.
Will average 70-80 but if it does click for him expect something closer to an average of 100.
Watch his NAB cup, look at his stats and if you have the balls pick him. WATCH.

Giles, Jonathan $317,300 30% :thumbsdown:
2015 - 3 @ 84.0 - 2014 - 9 @ 73.8

Giles can play. He was GWS main ruck only a few years ago. May get a few games over Lycett or if Nic gets injured (God help us :drunk:) this year but really at his price it's a big old PASS.

FORWARDS

Kennedy, Josh J. $496,200 :thumbsu:
2015 - 22@ 92.0 - 2014 - 20 @ 79.7
JJK. Coleman medalist with a busted elbow. Averaging 100 untill it got the better of him in round 11, he went on to play every game. A healthy jump in average for the year he will have a very similar output in 2016. May push it up to 100 and should end up just outside the top 10 forwards for the year. Great F5-6. Durable and in his prime with 7 tonnes (3 over 140) CONSIDER.

Darling, Jack $452,400 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 12 @ 83.8 - 2014 - 22 @ 80.2
Jack is coming of age but personally I don't think he has a position in the team that suites him and therefore can't see his average jumping much at all. If you want a guy in F6 who will give you 80 every week go for it but it's a PASS for me.

LeCras, Mark $443,000 :thumbsu:
2015 - 21 @ 82.1 - 2014 - 15 @ 90.5
LeCras spent a bit more time in the midfield and his average suffered. WTF?
He is best kept around goals and since his knee injury has never reached the same heights. A roll change hasn't helped. He will average 80-90 no worries but wont go 100+ and cement himself as a premo forward. Maybe a POD F6. CONSIDER.

Cripps, Jamie $417,700 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:
2015 - 22 @ 77.4 - 2014 - 19 @ 60.9
Cripps is durable and a tackling machine. Runs and chases all day and is a handy kick going inside 50.
Just doesn't kick enough goals or get enough of the ball to make hims SC relevant. PASS.

Sheed, Dom $386,600 (MID/FWD)
See Mids.

Hutchings, Mark $385,800 (MID/FWD)
See Mids.

Lycett, Scott $348,900 (RUC/FWD)
See Rucks.

Hill, Josh $370,300 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 19 @ 68.6 - 2014 - 9 @ 55.3
Hill will kick a few goals and surprise everyone including himself but he's not made for SC. PASS.

McInnes, Fraser $285,200 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 7 @ 52.9
McInnes might one day be some player. But not in my SC team and not in 2016. PASS.

Lamb, Tom $241,700 30% :thumbsdown:
2015 - 1 @56.0
Lamb has bulked up and has game. Will play a few this year but unless he kills it in the NAB cup and gets a gig in round 1 I'd keep clear. PASS.

Duggan, Liam $229,800 (MID/FWD)
See Mids.

Tunbridge, Simon $207,200 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 1 @ 48.0 - 2014 - 4 @24.5

Tunners was unlucky, again. Another injury, he can't get a break.
Rookie listed and unlikely to play a game. PASS.

McGinnity, Patrick $199,700 :thumbsdown:
2015 - 8 @ 37.0 - 2014 - 10 @ 57.1

Gives his all but... No, just no. PASS.

Cavka, Damien $123,900 (MID/FWD)
See Mids.

Karpany, Malcolm $123,900 (MID/FWD)
See Mids.

Allen, Matthew $117,300 :thumbsdown:
Allen is built and ready to go but a low pick and unlikely to play a game. PASS.

Last edited:
I will have a go at my Melbourne Demons. Is this the year they finally turn the corner and start being consistenly competitive??? Paul Roos concentrated on improving the defence in his first year as coach. Last season was more about increasing the scoring. This coming season will be about improving both aspects and hopefully pushing towards playing finals.
This is purely an opinion piece only but I have been a consistent SC player for a few years now finishing 841st overall last year, 145th overall in 2014 and I was in the top 10 mid season 3 years ago. Hope you get something out of it.

DEFENDERS

3. Christian Salem $399,300. 2015 Avg. 74 from 10 games
Salem has a beautiful kick that he uses with great accuracy. Only played the 10 games last year but has been earmarked for a midfield role in the future. Probably not this year though. Awkwardly priced at $400K. Would really need to improve his by at least 10 pts to be worth it.
PASS

8. Heritier Lumumba $342,800. 2015 Avg. 63.5 from 19 games
Harry O was a fairly big disappointment last year after coming over from Collingwood. Lent leadership to a youngish Melbourne team but not much else. His highlight was a 107 SC pt game against Adelaide in Rd 3 but that average of 63 is 15-20 pts less what he was producing at Collingwood. Has had preseason surgery and should be running in the new year but not someone to consider regardless.
PASS

14. Lynden Dunn $446,600. 2015 Avg. 82.8 from 22 games
Dunn has really come on in leaps and bounds these past 2 seasons. He is in Melbourne's leadership group and has shown his versatility by playing at both ends of the ground. He is a better backman however which is where he should play. Played every game last season and could be a handy POD.
CONSIDER

15. Billy Stretch (MID) $252,100. 2015 Avg. 46.7 from 11 games
The son of Melbourne 80's/90's player Steven, Billy showed he could make it as an outside mid. At $252K he is not overly expensive but there are better, cheaper options out there. Maybe as a DEF if anything.
PASS

20. Colin Garland $380,400. 2015 Avg. 70.5 from 20 games
Colin had an injury interrupted 2015, with his first game not until rd 8. He is a flexible defender but not really SC relevent. He may get his avg. to 80 but I wouldn't expect much more.
PASS

25. Tom McDonald $517,500. 2015 Avg. 95.9 from 22 games
An outstanding year from Tom in what was a breakout for him in SC and AFL terms. He really started the season in great form averaging over 100, convincing many to trade him in. It is debatable but Tom's average could of even been higher had Paul Roos not decided to use him as a forward at stages throughout last season which limited his scoring in those games. He has really learnt the art of the intercept mark and his decision making really improved. Played every game. I cannot see why he can't replicate last season's output and continue on to be one of the game's elite defenders. I am considering him.
STRONGLY CONSIDER

28. Oscar McDonald $155,400. 2015 Avg. 32 from 2 games
The younger brother of Tom was introduced to AFL playing 2 games. He will continue to be blooded but not really SC relevent.
PASS

30. Alex Neal-Bullen (MID) $231,100. 2015 Avg. 42.8 from 11 games
A fairly good first season from ANB. Like his Glenelg team mate Billy Stretch he will be someone to consider in years to come but at his price there are better options.
PASS

31. Jack Grimes $414,100. 2015 Avg. 76.8 from 12 games
It has been a long drop for the ex. co-captain. Jack seems to have been overtaken by others at Melbourne and it will be hard for him to cement a spot in the half back line going forward. He has serious kicking accuracy issues which haven't helped him. Not the reliable SC scorer he once was.
PASS

32. Tomas Bugg $320,100. 2015 Avg. 59.3 from 16 games
Bugg comes across from GWS as part of a deal with pick 7. Was used primarily as a tagger at the Giants and it is unknown what role he will have at the Dees. Monitor the NAB Cup but not someone to seriously consider.
PASS

39. Neville Jetta $293,700. 2015 Avg. 54.4 from 16 games
Jetta is no superstar but is best 22 when fit, getting the job on opposition small forwards. He is one of the players keeping Grimes out of the team. However he is a lockdown backman and not someone you would pick for SC.
PASS

46. Dean Terlich $203,800. 2015 Avg. N/A
I cannot see Terlich playing barring injuries. Depth player only.
PASS

MIDFIELDERS

2. Nathan Jones $491,500. 2015 Avg. 91.1 from 22 games
Melbourne's beloved captain and the heart and soul of the Demons. Has played a lone hand for years as Melbourne's premier midfielder winning three B&F's in the process. Unfortunately (maybe due to the lacklustre teams he has led) Jones has never been SC elite. Only the 91 pt. average last year doesn't inspire confidence but it has since been noted that he played a lot of last year with a neck injury, which he has since had surgery on and he should be fine for round 1. Given Melbourne's greater depth now in the midfield and the greater assistance he needs, he is a POD and there is no doubting he could lift his average above 100, but again, will he ever be elite? The jury is out.
CONSIDER

5. CHRISTIAN PETRACCA (FWD) $123,900. 2015 Avg. N/A
Petracca will be one of the most selected players next year given that juicy price and DPP elegibility. A top 5 draft pick, a season ending knee injury ended his season before it started. Apparently the big bodied mid is "training the house down" and will be attempting to play rd. 1 but beware Melbourne will not rush him, and if he does play will be used more forward than mid.
IF NAMED ROUND 1, LOCK

7. Jack Viney $497,100. 2015 Avg. 92.1 from 16 games
Jack is as hard as a cat's head and knows no other way. I must admit I was surprised to see his average as high as 92 but he is now seen as one of Melbourne's midfield brigade for the future. Has the potential to avg. over 100 but I'm not convinced it will be this year. Happy to be proven wrong. At $500K you would want an improvement so not for me but you could do worse.
PASS

9. Jack Trengove $156,500. 2015 Avg. N/A
Trengove hasn't played since rd. 2 2014 due to a navicular foot injury. The ex captain is cheap as chips and is on the comeback trail but there is no guarantee he will ever play AFL again. Moniter NAB Cup if he is fit but would need time to get the speed of the game again, and he was never quick anyway.
PASS

10. Angus Brayshaw (FWD) $353,300. 2015 Avg. 65.5 from 21 games
Brayshaw was a shining light for Melbourne in his debut season. He showed the attitude and skills required to be a potential elite midfielder in the seasons to come. Played every game bar one. He will continue to improve but I would only consider him as a FWD. Awkward price but I can't see him suffering the 2nd year blues. Not next year though.
CONSIDER (AS A FWD ONLY)

12. Dom Tyson $431,000. 2015 Avg. 79.9 from 15 games
The ex Giant had a down season compared to his stellar 2014. At 431K he is actually quite cheap for what he can do but you would be hoping he can replicate his 2014 not 2015 season. He was Melbourne's B&F runner up and polled 11 Brownlow votes in 2014 (three times 3 votes in a losing side) and all this off an interrupted pre season so he has the talent. I will back him in.
CONSIDER

13. Clayton Oliver $207,300. 2015 Avg. N/A
Oliver was Melbourne's first draft pick in this years draft. He was a bolter as when playing TAC Cup he won the Morrish Medal after only scoring 1 vote in the first half of the season. Built like a brick ****house he will be in the mix come rd 1. Being a first round pick he is not cheap at $207K but if he can string some games together, which young players can do in lesser teams he will do his job as a cash cow for trading later in the season. He is in my team ATM.
IF NAMED ROUND 1 STRONGLY CONSIDER

18. Jake Melsham $328,600. 2015 Avg. 60.9 from 18 games
Melksham came across from Essendon for pick 25. The talk is he will be used as a rebounding defender so seeing as he is a MID only there isn't much value here. But he will play every game if fit, just not enough upside for me.
PASS

19. Ben Newton (FWD) $365,000. 2015 Avg. 67.6 from 11 games
Newton couldn't cement his place in the side after coming over from Port Adelaide. He has reinjured himself and will be out for a while. not relevant.
PASS

23. Bernie Vince $529,300. 2015 Avg. 98.1 from 21 games
Bernie had an outstanding season winning Melbourne's B&F. He played as a ball winning tagger for much of the season, not only racking up possessions but also limiting his opponent's influence on the game. Unfortunately as much as I rate Vince he is still primarily a tagger at this point in his career and for $50K more you could pick Rockliff. Great player but not someone I would pick at that price
PASS

35. Ben Kennedy (FWD) $187,800. 2015 Avg. 34.8 from 5 games
Kennedy comes across from the Magpies with a very sub affected average of 35 from 5 games. He obviously couldn't cement his place in the side and when he was selected, he was given the vest. Speed and kicking are faults that are skills he needs to work on but Roos sees something in him hence him getting picked up by the Dees and if he has a good NAB Cup he should play as a small forward who (may) pinch hit in the mids. At only $188K he is certainly someone to consider but watch in the NAB Cup.
STRONGLY CONSIDER

37. Aaron Vandenberg (FWD) $406,200. 2015 Avg. 75.3 from 14 games
Vandenberg was a great mature age pick up for the Dees last year. He was considered a ball magnet and the big bodied mid didn't disappoint. Injury ended his season early but he seems to be a vital part of Melbourne's team. DPP is an added bonus so consider as a FWD.
CONSIDER (AS A FWD ONLY)

RUCKS

11. Max Gawn $550,800. 2015 Avg. 102.1 from 13 games
Gawn had a breakout season for Melbourne when he finally made the team mid season and cemented his place as the number 1 ruckman. His breakout game came against Geelong in round 13(?) and he went on with it from there. He has had knee issues in the past (2 knee recos) but at this point he is injury free and he doesn't really have any competition in the ruck so he should play as a stand alone ruck (good for SC points). He also has a great contested mark. Max just needs to use last season as a springboard now for next season and aim to become one of the elite rucks in the comp. Should easily avg. 100+
STRONGLY CONSIDER

17. Sam Frost (FWD) $217,600. 2015 Avg. 40.3 from 3 games
You wouldn't consider Frost for a ruck position at all. Maybe as a FWD but was cruelled by injury last season. Not for me.
PASS

33. Jake Spencer $351,700. 2015 Avg. 72.4 from 7 games
Spencer is the number 2 ruck at Melbourne to Gawn and he really would only be relevant if Gawn went down to an LTI.
PASS

34. Mitchell King $117,300. 2015 Avg. N/A
King was selected at pick 42 in this year's draft. Purely in development stage and will not play.
PASS

FORWARDS

1. Jesse Hogan $422,200. 2015 Avg. 78.2 from 20 games
There is not much more that hasn't been said about Hogan's debut season. The Rising Star winner kicked 44 goals and was a shining light for the Demons, and he is only 20. Will he continue to become one of the competions elite forwards? No doubt, but it would be a brave SCer who selects him in their side. As we know FWD's in SC are hit and miss.
PASS

4. Jack Watts $381,000. 2015 Avg. 70.6 from 20 games
I don't believe Watts will ever fulfil his potential. He has never really cemented a position and an average of 70 just doesn't cut it. Was supposed trade fodder last season so this one is really make or break.
PASS

6. Chris Dawes $319,100. 2015 Avg. 59.1 from 14 games
Dawes hasn't really lived up to the expectations expected of him. I cannot see him increasing his average enough to be relevent.
PASS

16. Dean Kent $232,000. 2015 Avg. 43 from 4 games
Kent had an injury interrupted 2105. There will be pressure on his place in the side. Monitor the NAB Cup but there are cheaper better options.
PASS

21. Cameron Pedersen $343,400. 2015 Avg. 70.7 from 7 games
Pedersen is a handy utility player for Melbourne but the problem is he is not best 22.
PASS

24. Jay Kennedy-Harris $213,800. 2015 Avg. 39.6 from 8 games
Another player at the crossroads. His role as a small forward has him under pressure for spots so he would really need to cement a spot. Unlikely.
PASS

26. Sam Weideman $184,800. 2015 Avg. N/A
Melbourne selected Weideman with pick 9 in this years draft. He was chosen to help Hogan up forward. Hopefully he makes the grade and will play some games but he is not SC relevent at this stage.
PASS

27. Liam Hulett $117,300. 2015 Avg. N/A
Taken by Melbourne at pick 46, Hulett is just starting his career and won't play next season.
PASS

29. Jayden Hunt $123,900. 2015 Avg. N/A
I will admit I don't know much about this guy. Watch in NAB and if selected rd 1, consider.
IF SELECTED ROUND 1, CONSIDER

36. Jeff Garlett $363,300. 2015 Avg. 67.3 from 22 games
Garlett had an outstanding season kicking 40 goals and playing every game, repaying Melbourne's faith in him. As good as he is for the Dees, being a small forward he is not SC material.
PASS

43. James Harmes $292,700. 2015 Avg. 54.2 from 8 games
I rate this guy pretty highly. He is hard at it and should continue to improve as a mid/fwd. At $292K however he is too awkwardly priced to consider. Not this year.
PASS

45. Matt Jones $251,200. 2015 Avg. 46.6 from 9 games
Melbourne's whipping boy, Matt Jones. I'm not sure why he is listed as a fwd as he is primarily a mid. Not that it matters, he is purely a depth player and cannot be considered.
PASS

Here's one for North. Just one opinion and the other NM regulars feel free to chime in.

On the whole, Brad Scott likes a gameplan that doesn’t depend on heroic efforts from stars, so goes with a setup that avoids single go-to guys on every line (the exception being that the principal midfield quartet attends more stoppages than any other club, IIRC). So in the backline there’s no principal distributor/quarterback type with the load spread between Wright, Atley, Macmillan, McDonald, Dal Santo, etc. In the forward line Waite, Petrie and Brown are equal partners in the tall setup while Thomas, Garner, Turner, Nahas, Harvey, Higgins and the like all contribute as medium-smalls.

In rookie terms, with the exception of McDonald it’s been years since they’ve played an SC-relevant draftee. All 3 ND kids had season ending injuries in 2015; Turner and Brown had impact late in 2014 but only half a dozen games each; aside from Gibson off the rookie list in 2012 you have to go all the way back to the rebuild of 2009-2011 to see North draftees playing much. This is partly due to the 22 being pretty set but also partly due to drafting project players in the first round (McKenzie, Garner, Durdin, and now McKay looks to continue the trend).

Defenders

Jamie Macmillan
(14 games @ 88.7, $478,700)
Hamstring and achilles soreness kept him to 14 games but put together a solid run including a 140, 3 other tons and 4 more in the 90s. Could reasonably expect another incremental improvement in scoring and with defensive options potentially thin, CONSIDER despite the slightly awkward price. (more on jmac at http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2016-defenders.1119672/page-8#post-42502436)

Sam Wright
(21 games @ 76.6, $413,400)
The very model of a midpricer. Actually has settled in to being a pretty good player, statistically not miles away from Easton Wood’s 2015. Smooth mover, fun to watch when he’s in form. But in SC terms his avg peaked at 85 after R6 for a classic false dawn. His role doesn’t always demand SC-ish things from him. PASS

Scott Thompson
(21 games @ 73.5, $396,700)
The drop-off from his AA year has been disappointing. Needs to have more of a floating/rebounding role to be SC relevant, which would in turn need one of the young KPDs to start getting games. PASS.

Robbie Tarrant
(20 games @ 70.4, $379,900)
Was good value as a rookie priced best 22 player returning from injury. As a fully priced KPD is not good value. PASS.

Shaun Atley
(20 games @ 66.1, $356,700)
At this point, at 23 and 109 games, I think we’ve figured out what Atley is. His speed and the threat he poses on the rebound are important to the side but he looks like he’s best with the game in front of him rather than in the midfield. He’ll line up on the wing at the odd centre bounce and attend some stoppages but won’t “move into the midfield”. Would love to see him get it 4-5 more times a game. I’d rather look at his 73.3 avg after returning from a week in the VFL than the 57.3 before being dropped, so he could represent value but it still doesn’t scream “pick me”. PASS.

Lachie Hansen
(13 games @ 65.6, $354,100)
Troubled by hip issues recently, particularly in 2015. Intercept marking machine and huge tank but too KPD-ish to take seriously. Could get back to 75+. PASS.

Ben Jacobs
(20 games @ 65.5, $353,700, D/M DPP)
You’d hope he takes the confidence he’s built from tagging and develops more of a two-way game. Has the skills. Don’t bet on it being this year in an SC-relevant way though. Despite the DPP, PASS.

Michael Firrito
(20 games @ 63.3, $341,600)
I could try and argue that he’s underrated outside NM but no pretending there’s even a scrap of finesse about Spud’s game. Grab it, run 10 metres and hoof it. Great servant etc. PASS.

Luke McDonald
(13 games @ 52.8, $284,700)
2nd year blues and had back issues in 2015. Is a better player than 52SC. Good bet to bounce back and could be the Macmillan 0f 2016 - the sub-$300K guy with good JS who pushes up close to 90SC. CONSIDER.

Joel Tippett
(3 games @ 37.7, $203,300)
Very attractive man, piercing blue eyes and a big unit but only a depth KPD. PASS.

Aaron Mullett
(4 games @ 37, $199,700)
Did well to even get back into the seniors after struggling with shoulder and ankle issues. If he looks like having decent JS should make some coin. If he’s picked, CONSIDER.

Ben McKay, Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson, Ed Vickers-Willis, Mitch Hibberd
Pick ‘em if they’re on the bubble. Hibberd in particular looks to have SC-friendly attributes and DPP. I would expect to see McKay forward rather than back.

Midfielders

Andrew Swallow
(19 games @ 94, $507,200)
Has a lot more help on the inside these days and isn’t a good enough user or hit the scoreboard enough to push up into the 110+ range. PASS.

Ben Cunnington
(21 games @ 92.9, $501,100)
The things he does well he’s great at - top half dozen in the league for clearances and CP - but his TOG% hurts and he doesn’t do much on the outside. No sub could help - he’s great overhead and a good shot at goal resting forward - but low 100’s is probably his ceiling. Kills me to say it but PASS.

Nick Dal Santo
(12 games @ 91, $491,000)
Output affected by his hamstring last year and wouldn’t surprise to see him get back in the neighbourhood of 100+ but his premo days are probably done. Also no more DPP. PASS.

Jack Ziebell
(21 games @ 86.7, $467,900)
Like the little girl with the little curl. Still to prove he’s consistent enough to consider. Dangerous medium forward when given the chance. Maybe he’ll get more time forward with no subs and be M/F DPP in 2017 but for this year PASS.

Sam Gibson
(22 games @ 72.5, $391,500)
Gut running accumulator with almost no inside game and in the running for the least damaging disposal in the league. Valuable to the team for what he does but not for SC. PASS.

Ben Jacobs
see defenders.

Farren Ray
(8 games @ 64.6, $348,700)
After the retirements of older players in Grima, McMahon and Adams, rookie drafted to keep the age profile up. PASS.

Mason Wood
(7 games @ 55.3, $298,300)
Tantalising prospect with M/F DPP. Good runner, can switch between tall winger and 3rd-tall forward. With his versatility could be exactly the sort of player that benefits from no sub rule. Awkward price but 3rd year in the system and could be poised for a breakout if he takes his chances. Depending on what else is out there possibly CONSIDER.

Trent Dumont
(8 games @ 45.9, $247,500)
2015 average badly sub affected. Priced at 45, should easily average 75. All depends on JS. CONSIDER.

Daniel Wells
(2 games @ 56.5, $243,900)
M/F makes him tempting Is a 95+ SC player when fit and a better bet than pretty much any rookie. Surely he can’t be as unlucky with injury again. Foot and achilles injuries have prevented him running enough to stop getting a bit heavy at the end of 2014 and 2015. Has already trimmed down 5kg or so for preseason and should be good to go. Watch him tear up the NAB challenge. GO ON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

Brad McKenzie
(1 game @ 64, $241,700)
Third year in a row I’m going to say he’s got the potential to break out if he gets a chance. Should be D/M DPP but without that sadly PASS.

Jed Anderson
(4 games @ 41.5, $223,900)
North went out of their way to pry him out of the hawks. Will get his chance to play. 2015 scores sub-affected. Excited to see what he can do. Wells or Anderson? WHY NOT HAVE BOTH.

Will Fordham
(yet to debut, rookie list)
With a year on the list already under his belt, has shown the ability to run all day and accumulate the pill. Won both time trials with Gibson having a late start to preseason. With a spare senior list spot up for grabs is a smoky to be upgraded early. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Ryan Clarke, Mitch Hibberd, Declan Mountford, Corey Wagner
This year’s draftees. Get them on the bubble. Like Hibberd, Clarke looks to have a SC-friendly game. Mountford’s highlight reel is pretty nice and he looks to like a goal. Wagner is earning the respect of the playing group.

Rucks

Todd Goldstein
(21 games @ 128.8, $695,100)
Sure last year’s avg 128 was an outlier but he still has 2 seasons @ 113 and another 106. In his prime. If you try and grab him as a fallen premium you’ll just end up outsmarting yourself. JUST DO IT DON”T BE AN IDIOT.

Majak Daw
(2 games @64.5, 243,600)
R/F DPP but not cheap enough or good enough to be useful in SC. Just glad he’s got the court business behind him and hope he can work his way back. Could be important post Petrie and Waite but for now PASS.

Brayden Preuss
(yet to debut)
Rookie listed project ruckman. Massive unit but not relevant. PASS

Forwards

Shaun Higgins
(21 games @ 95.3, $514,400)
2015 was easily his best SC year for both total and average points, finishing 58th overall and in the top 10-12 forwards depending how you count them. Big ups to North’s medical staff. No reason he shouldn’t go 90+ again but has lost DPP. CONSIDER.

Brent Harvey
(22 games, @ 90.1, $486,100)
What? Boomer a FWD only? No DPP? * that. last year was his worst SC year since 2009 thanks in part to a couple of sub games and a few weeks running off HBF. Probably done as a consistent scoring SC premo. PASS.

Drew Petrie
(21 games @ 85.5, $461,500)
Was surprised when I looked it up that he went at 85ppg. 33 year old KPF, PASS.

Jarrad Waite
(20 games @ 80.7, $435,200)
Once he got the hang of how Scott wanted him to play, thrived as a 3rd tall instead of having to be Carlton’s only good forward. Could well do better than 80 already knowing the systems but that’s not enough for a 32yo KPF. PASS.

Ben Brown
(19 games @ 65.9, $355,600)
Midpriced KPF. While I hope he shows signs he can be the main man once Petrie is gone, that won’t translate to a SC breakout year. PASS.

Lindsay Thomas
(18 games @ 64.8, $349,800)
Played the second half of 2015 under duress with plantar fasciitis and had some injury- and sub-affected scores as a result. Should easily do better than 65. Nevertheless is a streaky small forward and while he might get up into the midfield a bit won’t do so enough to rack up M/F numbers. PASS.

Robin Nahas
(17 games @ 63.7, $343,800)
How TF did North make a prelim with Nahas getting 17 games? Good on him for making the most of his second chance but he’s back to the rookie list and surely is behind a fit Thomas, Garner, Turner, and Anderson now. PASS.

Mason Wood
See midfielders

Kayne Turner
(11 games @ 49.3, $265,900)
Only turned 20 last week and already made his presence felt in 5 finals. That doesn’t count for much in SC though and he needs to get a lot more of the pill and hit the scoreboard more consistently to make his presence felt there. PASS

Daniel Wells
See midfielders

Majak Daw
See rucks

Taylor Garner
(8 games @ 45.1, $243,500)
Finally shook off a 67-week hamstring and had the North board (well mostly me) in a tizzy. Got the red vest a lot as he didn’t have the fitness base to run out games. Exciting prospect and with an actual preseason should easily add 20-25 points to his 2015 average. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’ll become a 90-pt forward right away but depending on your budget, byes and whatever, CONSIDER.

Aaron Black
(3 games @ 42, $226,600)
It would be a brave man who picks him to get back to his 2013 form, though that was the year he made about $200K in a month. He was nice to me at a player function once but even so, PASS.

Jed Anderson
see midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRISBANE LIONS SUPERCOACH PREVIEW

Thought I'd attempt a Brisbane preview. I'll try and make it as short as possible, don't want people thinking I'm obsessed or anything.

Safe to say Leppa is building this side very, very nicely. You'll struggle to find more than three players that can't play more than one position in our best 22. Obviously open to debate, but here's what my preview looks like.

DEFENCE (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Daniel Rich (436,100) :fire: - Projected Avg: 90
Richy is running hot, hot, hot for SC this year. Leppa has indicated Rich will head back into the midfield, which is a huge sigh of relief for Lions fans. Boasting one of the best left boots in the AFL, a fully fit Daniel Rich should definitely be on your radar. One key thing that works in his favour is that he has had a full preseason to work over the injury troubles he has had. He was visibly walking wounded last season and still suffering the after-effects of the ACL injury he had in 2014. Another thing that works in his favour is that he has teammates to kick to up forward now. I think this is his season to really shine. CONSIDER.

Marco Paparone (417,200) - Projected Avg: 75
It took Pepperoni Pizza a while to adjust to playing as a key defender. He was pushed around easily by opposition forwards and struggled to really get his hands on the ball. Suddenly, something clicked. He had a decent purple patch that saw him finish the season off surprisingly well. He averaged 19 disposals (12 kicks), 6 marks and a handy 77 Supercoach points. If he strings it together this season, then he could be a decent pick for next year. As for this year, he's an awkward price and just hasn't shown enough to justify a selection. PASS.

:clubs::hearts: Harris Andrews :hearts::clubs: (346,500) - Projected Avg: 61

Premier Andrews. He's a mini McGovern with his fearless intercept marking against guys much stronger (physically) than he is. As he is still a light frame and playing a key position role, it's not ideal for any form of Fantasy. He will be relying on intercept marks and accurate kicking to score him enough points. Give him another year. PASS.

Claye Beams :footy:? (335,900) - Projected Avg: 72

Cruelled by injury. But when he's on the field, he should have little trouble slotting into a best 22 spot down back. He's one of our better users of the football, in particular when it comes to kicking out of defence. However, his potential comes at a cost. Too many injuries have probably made this decision tough. PASS.

Daniel Merrett (319,400) - Projected Avg: 56

The experienced head in defence for the Lions. I don't think he has ever been fantasy-relevant and nothing will change this season. PASS.

Sam Mayes :footy: (316,400) - Projected Avg: 73

He's gotten himself into the coach's good books this preseason after being a standout at training sessions. Both Leppa and Mayes himself have indicated that he will play a wing/half back role. I've likened him to Kade Kolodjasnij in the way he should perform, but it's ultimately up to Mayes himself if he wants to take the next step up or not. CONSIDER.

Justin Clarke (314,100) - Projected Avg: 54
Key defender. Will most likely take the opposition's best forward every week and rotate with Daniel Merrett. Not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Tom Cutler (292,900) - Projected Avg: 63

Showed some promising signs last season, in particular his game against Carlton where he had 24 touches, 8 marks and kicked a goal. His dash off half-back was impressive but his disposal and uncertainty somewhat cost him valuable points at times. Give him another year. PASS.

Ryan Harwood (283,300) - Projected Avg: 74

Harwood is a hard-nut small defender with good speed. In 2014, he enjoyed a season in which he averaged an impressive 83 points. A key to this number was his tackling just as much as his disposal count. However, he has struggled with injury since and really struggled to string games together in his comeback. Definitely can find a spot in the 22 when fully-fit, but maybe bit too much of a risk and an awkward price for consideration. PASS.

Dan McStay* (250,100) - Projected Avg: 70

McStay played predominantly as a key forward for a struggling Lions side last season, with some stints in defence towards the end of the year. Leppa has indicated that he will spend more time in defence this season, as he has been training there all preseason. He won't be fantasy-relevant this year, but if he grows accustomed to the Harry Taylor role, then he could be relevant in years to come. PASS.

Hugh Beasley (R) (249,100) - Projected Avg: 45

Rookie. Played a few games in 2015, but nothing too spectacular. Needs to find his way in the ressies first, he understandably looked completely out of his depth when coming up against opposition AFL forwards. PASS.

Liam Dawson (245,000) - Projected Avg: 60

This guy has loads of potential and had a patch in 2015 where he averaged 75 points, before being sub-affected. Could be fantasy-relevant as a cash-cow. CONSIDER.

Darcy Gardiner (233,400) - Projected Avg: 55

Struggled with injury last season and only played 8 games. Position-wise he is just not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Jaden McGrath* (222,900) - Projected Avg: 62

Could slot into the team early on if Josh Green is still injured as he's capable of playing both defence & forward. Not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Eric Hipwood* (162,300) - Projected Avg: 50

First-year player. Still a bit raw. Probably won't see much of him this season. PASS.

Josh Clayton* (123,900) - Projected Avg: 50

Hasn't really progressed as well as Lions fans expected him to. He'll get his chances if he performs consistently well in the ressies. Nothing that screams 'select me' though. PASS.

Josh McGuinness (123,900) - Projected Avg: 40

Hasn't really progressed as well as expected. Likewise, will get chances if he performs consistently well in reserves. PASS.

Josh Watts (123,900) - Projected Avg: 50

Likewise. PASS.

Matthew Hammelmann* (R) (117,300) - Projected Avg: 40

Rookie. Had a few good games up forward in the reserves, but the difference between the two leagues is just far too big for him. Has shown signs but not enough to take next step this season. PASS.

Cian Hanley* (R) (117,300) - Projected Avg: ----
Recovering from ACL. Rookie. Unlikely to play senior football this season. PASS.

Sam Skinner* (117,300) - Projected Avg: ----
Knee injury. Won't play senior footy this season. PASS.

Rueben William (R) (102,400) - Projected Avg: 40
Rookie. Could get a chance towards end of season, but very unlikely at this stage. PASS.

MIDFIELD (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Dayne Beams (612,100) :fire: - Projected Avg: 116
Hopefully with the addition of Bastinac, Beams will go back to his preferred outside role. That's where he shines. Cannot forgot his 2012 season where he averaged over 120 SC points as an outside midfielder/half forward at Collingwood. With limited rotations this year, he should slot right into that position and dominate. Need I say more? LOCK.

Tom Rockliff (550,100) :fire: - Projected Avg: 118
Perhaps the biggest lock since Barlow. You just have to appreciate how this bloke goes about it. Cracked ribs, comes back from injury, slots back into midfield and absolutely dominates. Doesn't get much easier than this. Ball-magnet, tackling machine and least likely of our mids to rotate forward. The midfield should and will be a permanent position for him this year. With Beams in the same side, his average will be affected, but only ever so slightly. LOCK.

Dayne Zorko* (543,000) :fire: - Projected Avg: 100
Zorko enjoyed more midfield minutes last season with key injuries to Lions players. He scored 10 tonnes and only had a handful of matches under 80 points. This is Supercoach GOLD if you are looking for a forward at a decent price. Rotation between forward and midfield will come easy to Zorko and, barring any injury, I can't see him averaging under 100. He's very much a team-orientated player, if the Lions are firing then Zorko will be. He's the Lions' Barometer. LOCK.

Mitch Robinson* :footy: (499,800) - Projected Avg: 90
Robbo had a huge purple patch towards the end of the year and was a key player for the Lions in the midfield, racking up touches, tackling hard and winning plenty of clearances. With key Lions returning from injury, it's difficult to see Robinson keep that kind of scoring up. Leppa will likely use him as a offensive negating player. Just need to look at the job he did on Fyfe in round 14, 2015 as a preview of what is to come for Robbo in 2016. He scored 87 that game, so I think a season average of 90 is definitely achievable. CONSIDER.

Pearce Hanley :rainbow: (467,000) - Projected Avg: 110
This guy. The most important player at the Lions. Sorely missed when out injured and made immediate impact when he did play. We should see Hanley play mainly at half back because of his trusty disposal, while rotating onto the wing when necessary. Lethal when delivery the ball into the forward line. He's the complete package as he defends well and is very good offensively. MID only this season however, but that is cancelled out by the fact that you will not find a better Supercoach player at that price. He's proven and ready for another big year. Lock.

Ryan Bastinac (390,700) - Projected Avg: 83
Bastinac has enjoyed this preseason back in his natural role as an inside midfielder. In the early stages of his career, he enjoyed a 90+ average season that showcased his ability to win the hard balls and get himself into the right spots to receive the ball. He may take some time to get used to his surroundings, but he should be a decent downgrade target. CONSIDER.

Lewis Taylor* (387,500) - Projected Avg: 75
Lewy had a few standout games in 2015, but also had some rather disappointing performances. He has a great sense of finding the ball, but often runs himself into trouble. The short dabby kicks don't register well in Supercoach, so it would be a huge effort for him to overcome the awkward price and pump out bigger scores. PASS.

Ryan Lester (368,700) - Projected Avg: 62
Just doesn't get enough game-time to be fantasy-relevant. Not only is he awkwardly-priced but he also doesn't have a permanent position in the Lions team. Very much a short-term hole filler when he does come in. PASS.

Nick Robertson (286,400) - Projected Avg: 65
Will be fighting for a spot on the wing this season. He's a big unit, he tackles well and is fearless when attacking contests. If you like terrible haircuts in your SC team, then pick this guy. Otherwise, don't. PASS.

Billy Evans* (R) (219,100) - Projected Avg: 50
Rookie. Played 5 games in 2015 mainly because of key injuries to players. Didn't standout that much so he will have to fight his way through the reserves. PASS.

Jarrad Jansen :footy: (123,900) - Projected Avg: 67
I like the look of this kid. I really do. Already this preseason, he's showing signs that he could crack the team nice and early. Always a tough competition for spots in the midfield, but if he performs well in the NAB Challenge, he'll start raising some eyebrows. Leppa doesn't shy away from rewarding games to deserving kids. CONSIDER.

Ben Keays :footy: (117,300) - Projected Avg: 70
This kid has been our highest touted academy youngster for a long time now and he has finally made it to the big league. He was the clear best player in the Division Two zone leading up to the draft. He knows where the ball is, already showing good leadership skills by commanding teammates (much older) on where to position. Additionally, he loves to sneak forward and kick goals. CONSIDER.

Rhys Mathieson :footy: (117,300) - Projected Avg: 69
No idea how he slipped so far in the draft, but he has class written all over him. Evident in the way he handles himself at training sessions and his game in the intra-club match wasn't too shabby either. He's my pick of the rookies to debut first as he has impressed the most. Not sure if you can really 'lock' a rookie in at this stage, but the NAB Challenge will give you the best indication of what to do. CONSIDER.

RUCK (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Stefan Martin (597,600) :fire: - Projected Avg: 117
Beast. No other word to describe him. Just a gem to have a tall, ball winner in your side. Aside from his ruckwork, he has nailed the midfield part of his role to perfection. Not the most reliable kick, but he's a ruckman - gotta give the big man a break time to time. Leppa says Martin will ruck 90% of the time which is music to the ears of Fantasy players. Lock.

Trent West (196,700) - Projected Avg: 50
Barring any unfortunate injury to Martin, I can't see West getting any games this season. Leppa has made it clear that our second ruckman will be a pinch-hitting tall. PASS.

Archie Smith (R) (117,300) - Projected Avg: 40
Rookie. Still not comfortable with game-day situations as he makes plenty of mistakes. But you cannot fault determination to keep trying and learn new things every day. PASS.

FORWARD (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Tom Bell (483,700) :footy: - Projected Avg: 85
This guy slots right into our best 22. Not the best disposal but makes up for it with his hard attack on the ball and ferocious attack. He'll be rotating, along with a few others, between half forward and midfield. Similar to the role he played at Carlton. CONSIDER.

Allen Christensen (466,500) :footy: - Projected Avg: 92
I predict big things for Bundy in 2016. He has gotten his body into the perfect shape and has been ruthless this preseason. He's made sure he's given himself the best possible chance to start the season off with a bang. Struggling with a lack of fitness early last year, he started to show genuine star qualities later on in the year. As he will be rotating through a half forward and midfield role, his scoring output will differ from match to match. As a pure midfielder, he is capable of anything between 95-100, but his natural role will probably stop him from being that good. CONSIDER.

Josh Green (355,800) - Projected Avg: 65
Suffered a foot injury earlier this season. Fighting hard to play in round one against the Eagles. Regardless of form and fitness, he has never really been a Fantasy-relevant player. PASS.

Rohan Bewick (329,200) - Projected Avg: 60
Never really had the consistent game-time to prove himself, but that largely comes down to being able to play a certain role. He's been trialed in just about every position, but never really found his feet. His natural role is as a wing/half forward, but the Lions have since restocked and might have pushed him out of the best 22. PASS.

Josh Walker (289,000) - Projected Avg: 55
Key forward. He'll kick goals but not enough to make himself fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Jonathan Freeman (218,500) - Projected Avg: 50
Key forward. See above.

Josh Schache (216,300) - Projected Avg: 60
If only he were a normal priced-rookie. He'll play his 10-15 games this season and hopefully live up to some of the hype. He kicked four goals in the intra-club match last week, so he's already heading in the right direction. Not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Jackson Paine (R) (127,900) - Projected Avg: 45
Rookie. Played as a defender in the reserves last year and has continued to train as a defender this preseason. Not sure what Leppa's plans for him are, but it's difficult seeing him cracking the side. Even then, he will probably never be SC-relevant. PASS.

Michael Close (127,600) - Projected Avg: 40
Coming back from serious knee injury, didn't show many signs even beforehand. He'll get games as our KPF stock is still running a bit thin, but just like most key position forwards, he's just not relevant. PASS.

Last edited:
OK I'm a sick of reading everyone's team when posting a picture of it is so bloody simple.
Now I'm no full blown techie or software developer so if I can do it, anyone can.

Your best friends in the entire forum and general computing world are:

Ctrl and A = Select all
Ctrl and C = COPY
Ctrl and V = PASTE

So here's how to post your team from a windows PC.

STEP 1. Crop your team to fit on your screen. - Hold Ctrl and - (ctrl and + will zoom it back in)
This is how it should look. Notice how you can see you're whole team at once, perfect.

upload_2016-2-2_15-54-5.png

STEP 2. Go to the windows icon bottom left corner and type 'snipping tool' then select it.

upload_2016-2-2_15-55-35.png

STEP 3. Now go back to your team and trace around your whole team.

upload_2016-2-2_16-13-18.png

STEP 4. After selecting around your team this box will come up with your team piccy in it.
Go to 'edit copy' or just press ctrl and c

upload_2016-2-2_16-0-53.png

STEP 5. Now go to bigfooty, load up the 'SuperCoach 2016 - Initial teams and planning' thread and in the reply box down the bottom type ctrl and v OR right mouse click and then paste.

upload_2016-2-2_16-3-6.png

STEP 6. Add your spiel about your team etc and press 'Post Reply' and watch the magic happen. :thumbsu::rainbow:

Last edited:
OK I'm a sick of reading everyone's team when posting a picture of it is so bloody simple.
Now I'm no full blown techie or software developer so if I can do it, anyone can.

Your best friends in the entire forum and general computing world are:

Ctrl and A = Select all
Ctrl and C = COPY
Ctrl and V = PASTE

So here's how to post your team from a windows PC.

STEP 1. Crop your team to fit on your screen. - Hold Ctrl and - (ctrl and + will zoom it back in)
This is how it should look. Notice how you can see you're whole team at once, perfect.

View attachment 211249

STEP 2. Go to the windows icon bottom left corner and type 'snipping tool' then select it.

View attachment 211250

STEP 3. Now go back to your team and trace around your whole team.

View attachment 211257

STEP 4. After selecting around your team this box will come up with your team piccy in it.
Go to 'edit copy' or just press ctrl and c

View attachment 211254

STEP 5. Now go to bigfooty, load up the 'SuperCoach 2016 - Initial teams and planning' thread and in the reply box down the bottom type ctrl and v OR right mouse click and then paste.

View attachment 211255

STEP 6. Add your spiel about your team etc and press 'Post Reply' and watch the magic happen. :thumbsu::rainbow:
Pfft. Doing it the hard way. Just hit print screen, load it up on paint, copy and you're done. ;)

Some interesting comments from Ross in his Q&A session on twitter / facebook:
  • Fyfe to play 50/50 between forward line & midfield;
  • He's keen to have Fyfe playing forward, but Fyfe doesn't want to go;
  • Harley Bennell return to full training imminent;
  • Bennell's natural position - Centre-Forward;
  • Barlow was underutilised last season & will spend more time as an inside midfielder;
  • Blakely, Weller & Langdon are really impressing at training;
  • Darcy Tucker is making a strong impression at training;
  • Apeness working diligently & "nearing the end of a long road";
  • Trying to improve player flexibility (in relation to Hill playing more time off half-back)
Thought that would be pretty helpful. Thinking of getting on Barlow.

For anyone interested in captain's loophole options (e.g. ruck bench), the timeslot in which each team plays over the first 11 rounds is as follows:

212366_78e890bd118dde4e0f24bd86962804b4.JPG

1 = first timeslot (e.g. Friday night usually)
4 = fourth timeslot (usually Saturday night)
etc.

Most rounds have either 6, 7 or 8 timeslots. Start times that only differ by about 30 minutes or less I considered to be the same.

Hard to know what point before the byes is the tipping point when you should expect to have an alternate loophole other than just your R3. I feel that it is often as soon as R5-R6. I have looked as far ahead as R11, but realistically this is way too far into the season and we will all have several players missing before this.

Loersch (GCS) is the best F/R option for $102k over the first few rounds, when compared to Wyatt (Coll) and Chol (Rich). Loersch gives some capacity to loophole over each round, whereas both Coll and Rich have some rounds where they play the first or second timeslot.

Without needing F/R status however, Brisbane probably have the best potential for loophole of any club, followed closely by Fremantle (prior to R6) Sydney (prior to R5) and Western Bulldogs (prior to R6).

Last edited:
For anyone interested in captain's loophole options (e.g. ruck bench), the timeslot in which each team plays over the first 11 rounds is as follows:

212366_78e890bd118dde4e0f24bd86962804b4.JPG

1 = first timeslot (e.g. Friday night usually)
4 = fourth timeslot (usually Saturday night)
etc.

Most rounds have either 6, 7 or 8 timeslots. Start times that only differ by about 30 minutes or less I considered to be the same.

Hard to know what point before the byes is the tipping point when you should expect to have an alternate loophole other than just your R3. I feel that it is often as soon as R5-R6. I have looked as far ahead as R11, but realistically this is way too far into the season and we will all have several players missing before this.

Loersch (GCS) is the best F/R option for $102k over the first few rounds, when compared to Wyatt (Coll) and Chol (Rich). Loersch gives some capacity to loophole over each round, whereas both Coll and Rich have some rounds where they play the first or second timeslot.

Without needing F/R status however, Brisbane probably have the best potential for loophole of any club, followed closely by Fremantle (prior to R6) Sydney (prior to R5) and Western Bulldogs (prior to R6).

I'm considering going a different route for my C loophole doughnut this year. Especially if a cheapish R3 looks like getting regular games after NAB and is named for Rd1. This would eliminate the urge to use/waste an F4 spot for a back up ruck.

I would then use a Uebergang (Freo) B/F or McDonald-Tipungwuti (Ess) 102k B/F as my loophole doughnut. Yes, I lose 1 bench spot from the Def/Fwd lines, but it serves a second purpose, in loopholing E scores from either Def or Fwds if say you have Brown on the Def or Fwd bench and Adams on the fwd or def bench with the E on them. Ideally Adams does not get games before the bye rounds, as the WB are the best team for loopholing before the byes.

Alternatively, could use a B/M for loopholing instead if you had say, Francis B/M in the mids. Bailey Williams (WB) 117k would then be a very good option. Assuming he doesn't get games. Or Joyce (GCS) B/M 102k. Francis would have to show a lot during NAB to justify his price for this to be viable though. It would be ideal to try and get the highest Mid E score though.

I posted some of this on the initial teams thread earlier this week, but thought I'd post it here as well, as it will get lost on that big thread.

Are you paying $28 per month for a Herald Sun subscription because you want to access the subscriber only content and SC HQ lives scores feature but would rather not pay for it at all?

You can access UN subscriber only content for FREE by subscribing to Connect. By spending a few minutes a week completing the Connect surveys you receive redemption points which you use to redeem News Ltd subscriber only digital content across News Ltd publications which includes the Herald Sun, Daily Telegraph, Courier Mail, The Advertiser & Perth Now.

30 points = 2 weeks subscription & 50 points = 4 weeks subscription.

I've usually got 5-6 months worth of redeemed points banked. I save $340 per annum this way, so it's well worth the time to do a few quick surveys if you don't want to hand over your hard earned just for SC related features & content. (note, this does not include SC Gold)

If you already have a News Ltd account/login https://connect.news.com.au/

If you don't https://connect.news.com.au/register

After registering for Connect, go to the Herald Sun site and login using the same login details as the ones for Connect, if there is no HUN link on the Connect/News.com.au site.

connect2.JPG

Below, I've made Mrs Kru a Connect account and she will have up to 36 months worth of subscription points depending on how many of the initial profile surveys she wants to do.

Capture aaaaaqq.JPG

I posted some of this on the initial teams thread earlier this week, but thought I'd post it here as well, as it will get lost on that big thread.

Are you paying $28 per month for a Herald Sun subscription because you want to access the subscriber only content and SC HQ lives scores feature but would rather not pay for it at all?

You can access UN subscriber only content for FREE by subscribing to Connect. By spending a few minutes a week completing the Connect surveys you receive redemption points which you use to redeem News Ltd subscriber only digital content across News Ltd publications which includes the Herald Sun, Daily Telegraph, Courier Mail, The Advertiser & Perth Now.

30 points = 2 weeks subscription & 50 points = 4 weeks subscription.

I've usually got 5-6 months worth of redeemed points banked. I save $340 per annum this way, so it's well worth the time to do a few quick surveys if you don't want to hand over your hard earned just for SC related features & content. (note, this does not include SC Gold)

If you already have a News Ltd account/login https://connect.news.com.au/

If you don't https://connect.news.com.au/register

After registering for Connect, go to the Herald Sun site and login using the same login details as the ones for Connect, if there is no HUN link on the Connect/News.com.au site.

View attachment 214302

Below, I've made Mrs Kru a Connect account and she will have up to 36 months worth of subscription points depending on how many of the initial profile surveys she wants to do.

View attachment 214305
Good one Kru. If people just want live sc scores, be it only updates at 1/4 time, 1/2 time and 3/4 time and full time, there is an app called Footy Info Lite (Maybe just called Footy Info but icon on mobile says "Footy Info Lite"). The scores may vary by a point or two. I've been using it for the last couple of years.

I'll give this a crack but only bother doing the players that I think will be somewhat relevant or have seen talked about on other threads.

DEFENDERS

Rance 523k
I do not understand the SC scoring system when it comes to Rancey, the bloke pulls points out of his arse. Has become an absolute jet of a player after being a whipping boy for a few years. The best FB in the biz, but we know FPD have never been overly relevant in SC. averaged mid to high 80s for 4 years before bumping up to 97ppg last year. Highest price point was 524k last year, but went as low as 401k. Would jump on if he happened to fall that low again this year but a pass from me, but can see why others would take him, personally I wouldn't start the year with a KPD. PA 94

Houli 516k

Durable. has missed 2 in his 5 years at the Tiges. Would class Bachar as a safe pick. Throws up the odd stinker like many DEF premos do. Only thing that worries me about Bach is the effect Yaz might have on him, don't know if we will see them play together in the NAB (or see Yaz at all). Can't fault picking him but put personally would take KK for 30k cheaper. PA 93

Vlastuin 410k
Big fan of Tigga, I still remember the goal he kicked to amass 141 points against the Dees in his fourth game. Tonned up in 3 of his first 6 AFL matches. However, that was as a midfielder.
Since then Hardwick has moved him too the backline to hone the defensive side of his game, much like he did with Brandon Ellis before releasing him back into the mids. Trouble is Tigga is a very capable defender, and a transition back into the midfield is looking very unlikely at this stage. In his debut year he averaged 75.1, then a positional change had him drop back down to 67.6, and last year bumped it back up 76 while still playing as a almost full time defender. If he was moved back into the guts i'd lock this bloke straight into my backline. Could be a good selection in draft teams. PA 83

Yarran 400k

Very happy that Yaz is now a Tiger, bloke has real talent. However he has been struggling. I would avoid at this stage, even if is fine for round 1 i don't think he'll be the kind of bloke you'd want, won't be a huge accumulator, will score 120 one week then 65 the next two. As a Richmond support I wanted Yaz as a fwd, but i don't think the club will be using him in that way, which would be worse for SC. PA 85

Drummond 123k

Doing your ACL in the second quarter of your first game would be soul crushing. Drummond managed to make his way into the senior side in round 4 so he was showing some promising signs, a half back flanker with pace to burn, could be a strong rookie scorer if given a chance. Has been running again for a while but is still a touch off the pace, could be a handy downgrade target latter in the year. Watch. PA 65

Broad 117k
I know very little about Broad. I know he's a mature age tall defender and that's it. Apparently had a strong showing in the last intra club before nab, played on Jack. Will be competing with Batchelor who's handy but not a star so he could get a gig. The only word on him from Hardwick (at least i think it was Hardwick) was that he couldn't believe he'd never got a chance at an AFL club earlier, but then again it's preseason and everyone is a star, running PBs and in for a big year. PA 55

MIDFIELDERS

BEllis 541k
Will benefit from the interchange cap, best runner at the club. Only averaged about 3 ppg less than Gaff who many would consider the best outside player in the comp after last year. For Ellis to take it to the next level he'd need to develop a much better inside game. I don't see that happening at this stage. Inside mids > outside mids. Good pick for draft leagues. PA 103

Cotchin 538k

Cue the kick into the wind and/or can't break a tag jokes. Cotchin is an obscenely good footballer. After a huge year in 2012 he has copped a tag week in week out, but unlike the SC SuperPremos he can not yet break the tag 90% of the time. Could be an awesome pick for only 538k but with Gaz and Pendles being underpriced this year and Rocky being cheaper than Cotch I can't see why you'd start with the Tiges skipper.
The club has specifically gone and got Townsend and Moore to play as the strong bodies to help Cotch out that we've missed since Tuck and Jackson retired. He's turning 26 this year so he's still got plenty of footy ahead of him. If i did pick Cotch he'd be at M5 but I have two other Tiger premos and 3 is too many to start with IMO. PA 108

Miles 526k
Snipper Miles, champion bloke. Unfortunately being a champion bloke doesn't make you a champion SC Premo. Snips works at the coal face all day. Almost always gets his job done but doesn't have too much upside imo. Solid foot soldier, will give you a solid 90ish most weeks. Will toss in a 120 or 140 every now and again but will throw you just as many 60s. Draft league pick. PA 99

Marcon 102k
Lambert 2.0, I would think he'd just be depth at this stage. But if someone goes down he'll get a chance, strong VFL form for Willy. Late season downgrade, pray that he gets a game if one of your premos is out. PA 65

Rucks

IVAN MARIC 514k
If you've go Maric in your squad my advice is to free up 180k somewhere and get Goldy instead. Love the bloke, is a cult figure, has the heart as big as Pharlap but just pick Goldy. PA 90

FORWARDS

Deledio 608k :fire:
(Bias Alert)
Lock.
Deledio is my absolute favourite player. I was 9 when Lids played his first game. He's been my favourite since that day. I will probably cry when he retires.
Lids is the Tiges most important player, if he doesn't play we have about an 8% chance of winning.
He has missed 13 games in his entire career. He won't be rested.
after opening the season with a 66, being subbed and getting suspended he also picked up an injury and ended up missing 3 extra games after the suspension. In his return game he scored a huge 60 points due to getting sat on by Firrito. Starting at 553k it wasn't looking great for those that started with Lids. The next week Lids hit back with a 30 disposal 13 mark 2 goal outting against the Pies after this his price dropped to a season low 521k. After this Lids averaged a huge 119.46. Scoring 130+ 9 times from the remaining 15 games, 3 times under 100 (85, 90, 98).
With 7 years of back to back 100+ scoring as a HBF and mids Lids was finally used as a forward. With Cotch taking the main tag, Miles, Ellis, Martin, Grigg, Conca*, Lambert and even Hunt capable of going through the middle Lids is no longer required to play their for us to have some drive out of the middle. The bloke is a natural forward.
Did I mention he's a lock? PA 115

Dusty 569k :fire: (MID)

Lock.
Pick him. Built for SC. Goal kicking midfielder. With another year under his belt he should close the gap of his best and worst work. Is an absolute weapon on and off the field. Can't see Dusty going backwards anytime soon. Interchange cap just means he'll rest forward more often and that can't be too bad seeing as how he's the number 1 1-on-1 forward in the game. DPP is always a plus. PA 109

Riewoldt 493k

Typical KPF roller coaster. If you pick him good luck. Buddy is the only KPF worth pick imo. PA 92

Edwards 492k (MID)
Edwards has really stepped up recently, a broken leg against Carlton really hurt his year. Defiantly an SC specialist. Still has too many poor scores to consider as a starter, could push it to be a top 12 FWD. Another one to strongly consider for the draft leagues. A lot of x-factor about him. 2/3rds of a Cyril without the Bruce jizz. PA 95

Conca 284k (MID)
First ever uninterrupted pre-season for Conca. I'm a bigger Conca advocate than most Richmond supporters. He's still got a lot to give, played as a HBF in the intra clubs but is more at home in the middle, not a super star but could average 80-85, but at 284k it's a no from me for a bloke that's never played a full season. PA 80

CEllis 193k (MID) :fire:
Cellis also known as Silk was the Tiges first round pick last year. Debuted in round 5 last year coming off no preseason at all due to issues with his foot.
38 in his first game (Geelong), then a 57(Pies), then a 71 before being subbed in the 4th (Freo), and scores or 15, 16 and 16 in games where he started as sub. Will be given every chance to play seniors this year. PA 75

Rioli 157k

Rioli will get a chance this year, don't think it will be round 1. And even if he did I don't think a small forward will be great for cash generation. Maybe down the line if no other rookies present themselves. Or maybe he could be like Cyril and play 22 and average 75 in his first year... PA 45

Markov 117K
Has been the best of the young blokes during preseason, Choco love him, big leap, good footy brain. Strong forward, don't know if he's capable of pushing up the ground yet, bit of an excitement machine. Most likely rookie priced Tiger to get a gig round 1. PA 55

Chol 102k (RUCK)

Don't pick Chol. Terrible loophole potential. I really like what i've seen of Chol so far, great kick for such a big gangly bloke. I only added him to this so I could post this photo :D PA 0
BIG BAD MABIOR.jpg

Thought it would be a great cheat thread..er I mean research thread, where we could name the best premium, value and rookie from our respective clubs.

At the eagles I'm picking:
Premium - Andrew Gaff ($560k). He had a pretty good 2015 with a 103 average and at 23 there should still be more upside.
Value - M.Brown ($133,900). Missed 2015 with a knee injury sustained in rd1. Don't expect him to score massive numbers, but at that price he is probably as good as any rookie defender and if fit almost guaranteed a spot in the 22. Should be a handy upgrade at $300k, but keep an eye on the NAB to see if he plays straight away or if he's eased back in (eagles might not want McKenzie and Brown coming back from knees at the same time).
Rookie - Duggan ($229,800) showed absolute class last year and every eagles supported expects him to play a lot of footy this year. I don't think any first year players will play much.

Premo
Pendles: Played most of last season with a leg injury (was calf or ankle, can't remember) and still averaged 116. Superstar, Mr consistent when it comes to SC. He'll be back over 120 average this season

Value
DeGoey: Was green vested 4 times, red vested once, which didn't help his overall average. He is 100% best 22 and will play mid/fwd. He'll score pretty good I reckon, around 80s, but wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. He'll be a future SC gun, and it could start this year.

Rooks
Macaffer: Coming back from a ACL , was put in the leadership group so Buckley might have a plan for him. Watch through NAB
Cox: Pies only play 1 Friday night match before the bye, so could be a decent loophole option early. He should get games down the track, but it all depends on how Grundy and Witts are going and if injury hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back