Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
So off ya go, give us your predictions for the 2016 vault as we wait very impatiently for next week and the start of the real stuff. Vote & Comment away.

Here's mine:

I'm personally convinced that there is very little between 1st and 11th, the Hawks and Freo look like certain finalists but there's a log jam after them with Port, Sydney, Geelong, NM, Rich, Adel, Coll, WCE & WB, all in a battle for the remaining top 8 spots. I would've had GWS in amongst that top 11 though they are set to be hit hard by what appears a very tough draw. Then for mine there's a bit of a gap to the rest of the pack, though Melb appear to be the best of the rest.

Disclaimer: I've gone into my own predictions with a lot of hope regarding our own chances, and as such my premier and Port predictions are a bit fanciful but hell, why not? While I'm still not totally convinced of our ability, I'm hoping for a 4-1 start which would set up our year, and I've based my prediction on that.

I've ended up predicting:

Haw
Port
Freo
Geel
Rich
Coll
WCE
WB

North
Adel
Syd
Melb
GWS
GC
Saints
Bris
Carlton
Ess

2016 Brownlow Medallist: Patrick Dangerfield
2016 Coleman Medallist: Josh Kennedy (WCE)
2016 Grand Finalists/Premier: Port V Geelong (Port win)
2016 PAFC AA's: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Ollie Wines
2016 PAFC B&F: Ollie Wines
2016 PAFC Most Improved: Jarman Impey

Last edited:
Port
Geel
Freo
Rich
Haw
WCE
Coll
Syd

North
WB
GWS
Adel
GC
Melb
Saints
Bris
Carlton
Ess

2016 Coleman Medallist: Taylor Walker (ADL)
2016 Grand Finalists/Premier: Port V Geelong (Port win)
2016 PAFC AA's: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Travis Boak
2016 PAFC B&F: Robbie Gray
2016 PAFC Most Improved: Sam Gray

I know i will raise a few eyebrows with my ladder position of the hawks, but just cant help but think that a few injuries to the older stars and they will drop back into the pack a little. Geelongs recruiting was perfect so they are right up again. Other team i see as overachievers in past few years are NM. they have played some real good footy, but possibly at the expense of other clubs building, and now they have overtaken them.

one things thats for certain is that the top 8 is going to be a big squeeze between about 12-13 clubs, and the top 4 will be fought out between 7-8 clubs that could be there. I see a very competitive year coming up and this is because of the high quality in the top bunch.

WCE
HAW
SYD
FRE
GEE
POR
COL
RIC

dogs
norf
crows
Gws
melb
gc
stk
lions
blues
essendon

2016 Coleman Medallist: Josh Kennedy
2016 Grand Finalists/Premier: Sydney v Freo (sydney win)
2016 PAFC AA's: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Jack Hombsch
2016 PAFC Most Improved: Sam Gray

That was a lot harder than I thought.. It's hard to see the dogs, north and the crows coming out but geelong's draw is just too easy, I think our draw plus other factors we come back in and so do collingwood. Also looking at it you expect GWS to really come of age this year. As much as I want us to be top 4 I realistically see us 5-6th.

Fremantle
Port
Bulldogs
Hawthorn
Sydney
WCE
GWS
Geelong

Richmond
Norf
Melb
Adel
Coll
GC
Saints
Carl
Brisbane
Essendon

2016 Brownlow Medallist: Robbie Gray
2016 Coleman Medallist: Lance Franklin
2016 Grand Finalists/Premier: Hawthorn/Port (Port)
2016 PAFC AA's: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Jack Hombsch, Jasper Pittard
2016 PAFC Most Improved: Gray/Ah Chee

In no particular order:
Port
Fremantle
Sydney
West Coast
Richmond
Geelong
Hawthorn
Bulldogs

Hawks, Freo and Sydney to drop off a bit with age/retirements, but still too classy to drop out of the eight.
West Coast will come back a bit, but with their returning players they'll be there.
Bulldogs have some classy players coming back from injury.
Richmond and Geelong both benefit from playing Essendon twice. That's an extra banked win and a percentage boost.
Lastly us to bounce back from 2015.

Too early to pick positions. The usual form and injuries will take time to see whose affected by them most or least.

Lets give this go-

West Coast
Hawthorn
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Collingwood
Geelong
Richmond
Fremantle

Western Bulldogs
Kangaroos
GWS
Adelaide
Melbourne
Gold Coast
St.Kilda
Brisbane
Carlton
Essendon

Brownlow- Josh Kennedy (Sydney)

Coleman Medalist- Josh Kennedy (West Coast)

Grand Final- West Coast vs Port Adelaide (Port Adelaide win)

Port Adelaide All Australians- Wingard, Robbie Gray and Matty Broadbent

Port Adelaide B&F- Wingard, Hombsch

Port Adelaide leading goal kicker- Charlie Dixon 66

Very hard to split the top 12 sides imo. I can't see Fremantle maintaining their top 4 streak, feel age and their lack of goal scoring power will end them this year unless Taberner improves drastically or they find a forward somewhere Griffin and Zach Clarke aren't the answer from what I have see. Can see West Coast being almost impossible to beat at Subiaco and getting 6 wins minimum away from Subi, but their 1st 7 weeks could really test them and their lack of midfield depth but I do rate them very highly if it all comes together. I expect Hawthorn to be around the mark but fall at the prelim final stage this year to West Coast.

Have Adelaide out of the 8, I don't think they have the midfield depth to consistently feed their loaded forward line. North I can see slipping feel age will get them, the Bulldogs are hard for to get a read on as I feel the comp will work them out ala us last year.

Until Cameron got rubbed out for 4 weeks I had the Giants making the 8 now I think losing him against us, Sydney and Geelong in their first 4 games will have them in a 1-3 or 0-4 hole they won't get out of.

Very exciting season ahead but with our draw, and the added incentive of 2015's failure revving the boys and the lessons learnt plus the addition of Dixon to intimidate sides I feel we set set for a top 2-top 4 season. Bring it on I say

Port Adelaide (obviously)
Hawthorn (reckon they're still top 2)
Fremantle (one more good year left)
Richmond (due for top 4 so we can smash them)
Sydney (somehow always manage 5-6 if not top 4)
North Melbourne (age starting to catch up)
Collingwood (improvers)
Geelong (the Danger effect)

West Coast (flash in pan)
Western Bulldogs (will be found out)
Greater Western Sydney (no mccarthy at all, no cameron early)
Adelaide (the Danger effect, tough draw)
Gold Coast (losing too much quality)
Melbourne (improvement for them)
Brisbane (stuck in rut)
St Kilda (big signing is out for year)
Essendon (obvious)
Carlton (will somehow still find a way to be worse than Essendon)

Port Adelaide (obviously)
Hawthorn (reckon they're still top 2)
Fremantle (one more good year left)
Richmond (due for top 4 so we can smash them)
Sydney (somehow always manage 5-6 if not top 4)
North Melbourne (age starting to catch up)
Collingwood (improvers)
Geelong (the Danger effect)

West Coast (flash in pan)
Western Bulldogs (will be found out)
Greater Western Sydney (no mccarthy at all, no cameron early)
Adelaide (the Danger effect, tough draw)
Gold Coast (losing too much quality)
Melbourne (improvement for them)
Brisbane (stuck in rut)
St Kilda (big signing is out for year)
Essendon (obvious)
Carlton (will somehow still find a way to be worse than Essendon)

Swap the Dogs and Norf, and that's pretty much bang on what I think. Strongly agree on West Coast.

I think Hawthorn are a strong chance to miss the 8, but otherwise I really don't like to guess since it becomes really clear about 10 games in which teams are great and which teams are s**t.

Until then I reckon its guess work, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Oh and obviously Port Adelaide will win the premiership. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there been a team who has gone a whole season without a win? I can see Essendon giving that record a shake.

Has there been a team who has gone a whole season without a win? I can see Essendon giving that record a shake.
University boast a very terrible record. Pretty sure they never won a game and I'm not certain they kicked more than a handful of goals.

Edit: they won a few games, though none in their first 2 seasons, also they kicked many goals. My memory exaggerated the facts it would seem!

University boast a very terrible record. Pretty sure they never won a game and I'm not certain they kicked more than a handful of goals.

University had a 22% win rate. They were winless in their last 2 years - 1913-14 and only won 1 of 18 in 1911 and 1912.

I don't know if this is accurate but it appears every single game they played was on a Saturday at 3pm and not a minute earlier dagnammit.

Given we lost to both GC & GWS early on, plus 119...plus Carlton last year, Id say we are no certainty to beat them!

Edit: they won a few games, though none in their first 2 seasons, also they kicked many goals. My memory exaggerated the facts it would seem!
It's understandable that your memory might be playing a few tricks. After all, it was 100 years ago.

WCE
Port
Freo
Geel
Haw
Coll
Syd
WB

Rich
North
Adel
GWS
Melb
GC
Saints
Bris
Carlton
Ess

2016 Grand Finalists/Premier: Port V WCE (Port win)
2016 PAFC AA's: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Ollie Wines

1. Hawthorn
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. West Coast
6. Fremantle
7. Collingwood
8. Port Adelaide

9. Richmond
10. North Melbourne
11. Adelaide
12. St Kilda
13. GWS
14. Melbourne
15. Gold Coast
16. Brisbane
17. Essendon
18. Carlton

2016 Grand Finalists/Premier: Hawthorn vs Geelong (Hawthorn win)
2016 PAFC AA's: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Jack Hombsch
2016 PAFC B&F: Jack Hombsch

Port
WCE
Haw
WB
Geel
Freo
Syd

COL * To battle for 8th ...Collingwood by a nose
GWS *

Rich
North
Adel
Melb
GC
Saints
Bris
Carlton
Ess

2016 Grand Finalists/Premier: Port V WB (Port win)
2016 PAFC AA's: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Jasper Pittard
2016 PAFC B&F: Ollie Wines

Back