Review 2016 Season Review and Changes for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a cultural thing because we don't trust young players generally and we especially seek to look after players who have been around a long time and are mates with everyone

It's not a cultural thing, it's an invention by fans to cover the gap between their perception of our young 'superstars', and the reality of things where they simply aren't good enough.

The season was okay but really only just okay. A huge test for our club in the next month with list management. This group of players are not going to be anywhere near good enough to win a flag so there nèeds to be a ruthlessness about our list management.

Good words from Pyke about not being happy with simply being a good footy club. I believe him.

Made a point to stick it to the players that it's about winning finals. Some positives but in the end - have to get better. Some of its personnel.

If he was truly unhappy, then why didn't he make changes after the Geelong loss? Either of them?

Why didn't he blood Wigg?

Why didn't Knight, Kelly, Milera or ROB get more games?

Why didn't he drop a clearly useless Thompson or Brown, both of whom were spudding it up?

FFS we could see our season crumbling before our eyes and our coaches/selectors did absolutely FA about it.

FFS. We Crows supporters have been denied so many chances to see a flag. GWS, Sydney and the Dogs look like they will be very strong and share the next few premierships.

From a purely football perspective, I really am sad now.

Round 23 vs West Coast .... that was our chance. GONE

Worse season than last year. Wins / loss was better this year but we blooded more players last year. We are a 6 to 10 ranked side currently. We are very slow in the midfield as the two years of draft concessions and losing danger has caught up with us. We must get another mid with pace and trade mackay, douglas, jacobs, otten, brown, cey, grigg. Retire vb, thommo, jaensch, shaw. Hendo will leave freeagency. ROB must be our priority now, more mobile and more upside along with fast tracking dear. Wigg must be fast tracked along with knight, hampton. doedee, menzel, milera and greenwood. With tough decisions success will come, sometimes quicker than you think.

Last edited:
It's not a cultural thing, it's an invention by fans to cover the gap between their perception of our young 'superstars', and the reality of things where they simply aren't good enough.
We don't know that because we never tried them. It's not rocket surgery

We don't know that because we never tried them. It's not rocket surgery

If they'd been good enough they would have been tried, like Milera, ROB, and McGovern were this year, and many others in the last few seasons.

The idea that a bunch of super talented players who are ready to go bang in the AFL are being wrongly held back in the SANFL is probably the biggest fantasy on this forum.

This thread reminds me of a little kid who's going to run away from home because he can't watch his favourite tv show.

Was half the team garbage when we were blitzing teams for most of the season? We lost a final to the top ranked side on their home ground. Get over it.

What did the Bulldogs do last year when they went out in the first week of finals. Change the whole list and sack the coaching staff? No, they brought in 1 player from another club at little cost - Suckling - went to the draft and backed their talented kids to improve.

What about Sydney when they went out in straight sets? They delisted one player (then re-rookied him) bought in Sinclair and Talia at little cost and went to the draft. Backed their talented kids to improve.

GWS when they finished 11th? Bought in Stevie J and Dawson Simpson at little cost, went to the draft and backed their talented kids to improve.

See a pattern forming here? Geelong is the point of difference but their ageing list meant they only get one crack at it for a couple of years. They know the trouble they're in after that.

Let's recognise we have a good talented list, hang onto our early draft picks and challenge for a flag next year.

Not sook and whinge and throw the toys out of the cot.

If they'd been good enough they would have been tried, like Milera, ROB, and McGovern were this year, and many others in the last few seasons.

The idea that a bunch of super talented players who are ready to go bang in the AFL are being wrongly held back in the SANFL is probably the biggest fantasy on this forum.
They are good enough but it doesn't matter how good they are if they are not given opportunoty. The club had a prime example against brisbame and essendon to bring in wigg but no they were too pigheaded and uncreative to see what he could do. If we wanted neil craig why didn't we just rehire neil back.
Have a feeling that the horse that pyke backed all year let him down the last month of footy. Is he someone that continues to bet on a horse that is destined to fail or develop something that will win. Time will tell.

Last edited:
The bottom line is we don't have a top 4 midfield, our forward line is good, our backs are emerging however to be a genuine premiership challenger we need to build a top 4 midfield

So how do we build a top 4 midfield
- B. Crouch needs to deliver on his talent
- M. Crouch needs to keep building on his game
- Stop playing DMac and Douglas
- Start playing Wigg, Milera and Hampton
-!Look at Smith, Charlie and Shooter as options
- Trade for more quality

Giving us an A- for the year.

We did alot more than I expected this year, provided a heap of hope and enjoyment and was a great rollercoaster ride of a season. The season was about 4 weeks too long for our best and recon 5th was right for us, but an A- for the optimism provided.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown was playing solid football til he was injured.

Imo, should have been rested during the year to get his injury right.
Its either that or we have tried adding to his attacking side to the detriment of his actual job. Small forwards have killed us in the back half of the year... actually all year.

Its either that or we have tried adding to his attacking side to the detriment of his actual job. Small forwards have killed us in the back half of the year... actually all year.
Been saying for months he is playing sore as just to moving freely. We rushed him back after injury rather than giving someone else a go.

Mind you, same can be said about sauce, jj, etc.

Really hope if nothing else, the selectors have learnt that it is stupid carrying injured players into a game with more than just a slight niggle... & also solid mediocre players need to make way for younger talent.

I think the lack of absolute elite talent in the midfield is fairly evident for all to see.

Which is why it's heartening that we could win 17 games and average 114 points this year with what we do have. Lyons, Douglas, Thompson, Crouch X 2 and Atkins are all solid but none of them would be considered B+ or greater players.

I've been frustrated with selection like many but I think the coaches have to take credit for installing confidence in the team and managing to get them playing some amazing open football this year.

If we can tinker with the list and make necessary ruthless calls I'm confident Pyke can take this club further up the ladder.

The Round 23 loss is one of the worst in our history. Absolutely pathetic at the time and in hindsight
As I posted in another thread....
2005 round 1 final at home - Saints say hello
2006 prelim final at home - Eagles say hello
2012 round 1 final at home - Sydney say hello

We suck a lot at winning must win games at home!!!

The bottom line is we don't have a top 4 midfield, our forward line is good, our backs are emerging however to be a genuine premiership challenger we need to build a top 4 midfield

So how do we build a top 4 midfield
- B. Crouch needs to deliver on his talent
- M. Crouch needs to keep building on his game
- Stop playing DMac and Douglas
- Start playing Wigg, Milera and Hampton
-!Look at Smith, Charlie and Shooter as options
- Trade for more quality
The thing is, we are not starting from scratch. As you point out, we have the ability to implement items three through six very quickly if we so choose - the problem is I'm not sure poke has it in him to to do items three to five based on his conservatism. (the first two are up to the players themselves)

My fear is that we actually have the basis for a team/structure that could contend, but we are too gutless in the coaches box to go for it.

Worse season than last year. Wins / loss was better this year but we blooded more players last year. We are a 6 to 10 ranked side currently. We are very slow in the midfield as the two years of draft concessions and losing danger has caught up with us. We must get another mid with pace and trade mackay, douglas, jacobs, otten, brown, cey, grigg. Retire vb, thommo, jaensch, shaw. Hendo will leave freeagency. ROB must be our priority now, more mobile and more upside along with fast tracking dear. Wigg must be fast tracked along with knight, hampton. doedee, menzel, milera and greenwood. With tough decisions success will come, sometimes quicker than you think.

I actually think this year was a better year

Brad Crouch is back playing footy, players like M. Crouch, Hartigan, Lyons, Cameron and Cheney have all improved

JJ, Lynch and Betts have all had career best seasons, Sloane has gone another level and Talia has added more offence to his game, we have also introduced Milera and Shooter to the team, Shooter held his spot however Milera ran out of gas to compete at AFL level

The disappointment for me was injuries to Knight, Hampton and Seedsman, Wigg not getting an opportunity and Menzel not having an impact

Not giving Wigg games was the one thing that I'm disappointed with

I actually think this year was a better year

Brad Crouch is back playing footy, players like M. Crouch, Hartigan, Lyons, Cameron and Cheney have all improved

JJ, Lynch and Betts have all had career best seasons, Sloane has gone another level and Talia has added more offence to his game, we have also introduced Milera and Shooter to the team, Shooter held his spot however Milera ran out of gas to compete at AFL level

The disappointment for me was injuries to Knight, Hampton and Seedsman, Wigg not getting an opportunity and Menzel not having an impact

Not giving Wigg games was the one thing that I'm disappointed with
You'd think Menzel has the potential for big improvement if he can attack a preseason rather than trying to survive it?
It's funny to have the idea that you need to be fit enough to get the most from fitness training.

Well he certainly aint quick. I like him but i dont think we can play lever, hartigan, lever and him in the same side.

I think it's easier to excuse the earlier losses slightly because it was earlier in the year when we were still adjusting to a new gameplan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back